The Talking Cabbage
Raku
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Mott1

Mott1

She is!?

Next thing the BBC will be telling us Meghan Markle is mixed-race!

Defeatment

A friend has told me that a mutual friend asked both my friend and me to mutual friends family this Christmas Day!
I gave my mutual friend my charity shop Rose/End Of The World and Revisitations 3 for his kids to watch and have not heard back about them.
So I could be missing the Christmas Special, or I could be watching it but at least be off my face enough to endure it!
I hope your own Christmas will be as enjoyable!

Zarius

Zarius

Someone who's very jaded about Nu-Who over on Planet Mondas attended the special screening and said he enjoyed it, and it sounds like the Jodiless edit is a perfectly acceptable jumping-off point for anyone not sticking around next series.

He did make mention that the constant criticism of the First Doctor got annoying by the sixth session of it.

Richayard

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Someone should tell Mrs. May to go and watch Atomic Blonde, Salt, and The Long Kiss Goodnight. No need for a female James Bond when there are other spy movies with a female lead.

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:

Someone should tell Mrs. May to go and watch Atomic Blonde, Salt, and The Long Kiss Goodnight. No need for a female James Bond when there are other spy movies with a female lead.

This is what I've been saying for years.

All the female Doctor advocates seemingly without exception, don't EVER watch television series or films starring women.

Look at Whovian Feminism. She is a blogger and the biggest female Doctor advocate. She has even spoken to directors and writers of the show, who have in turn promoted her and IMO probably contributed to the SJW crap we've seen in the show.

She doesn't watch ANY tv shows or films starring women. Xena, Buffy, Charmed, Ghost Whisperer, Earth 2, Star Trek Voyager, The Bride with White Hair 1 ans 2 and the tv series, The Heroic Trio 1, and 2, The Dead and the Deadly, A Chinese Ghost Story, 1, 2 and 3 and the tv series, Cagney and Lacey, The Bionic Woman, The Wonder Woman tv series, Nikita, Tru Calling, Dollhouse, Alien film series, Resident Evil film series, Underworld film series, Alias, Once Upon A Time, Kill Bill vol 1 and 2, Scream 1, 2, 3, 4, the tv series, Relic Hunter, Roswell High, The Survivors original series, I Know What You Did Last Summer, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Day of the Dead.

Also in many male led series the woman is still the strongest character. In Angel for instance Ilyria is by far and away the most powerful villain. In Futurama, Leela is the brave one who always saves Fry who though sweet is a total plonker.

Then there are tv series that have strong male and female leads. Sapphire and Steele, The X-Files and The Avengers.

Added to that most male led series are not exactly deprived of strong women are they? Classic Who? Ace, Leela, Barbara, Vicki, Zoe, Liz Shaw, Sarah Jane, Romana, Teegan, the Rani. Blake's 7? Dayna, Jenna, Servalan. Hercules the Legendary Journeys? Xena, Callisto, Nebula and that Irish chick (whose name escapes me right now.)

Also not all male leads are exactly strong, manly men (particularly in the sci fi genre which the SJWs have their talons locked around.)

Philip J Fry, hardly a big manly man is he? Dr Zachary Smith? LOL I notice that there are no women desperate for Dr Smith to be played by a woman? Ditto Rimmer from Red Dwarf?

Hey Rimmer is arguably the second most iconic British sci fi character in the world, so why don't they want it to be remade and Rimmer to be a woman?

The simple conclusion is that people like Whovian Feminism don't give a shit about female heroes. They are bigots. They HATE white, straight men, and they want to take roles away from them.

That's why something like Xena that's an original, strong LGBT female character who was a massive success, played by one of the greatest and most beloved actresses the genre has ever seen, is of 0 interest to them.

That's why they only want characters that are role models to little boys and not characters like Rimmer to be replaced with women.

Funny thing is I put this to Whovian Feminism on twitter and her response was literally "thank you white dude for telling me what I can and can't like". She also brought up the Wonder Woman movie as proof that she likes female heroes and then blocked me.

LOL way to prove me wrong. I said that you don't give a shit about female heroes and are just an anti men, anti white bigot. So you make out that my opinion is worse less because I'm white and a man, and can only bring up the female movie that's currently in cinemas as proof that you have an interest in female heroes.

They're the bigots who want to destroy roles for one gender, self loathing fanboys won't call them out for it. Of course ironically this just makes them sexist too.

Self loathing fanboys are condescending towards women. They won't say the same things to women that that they would to men, because they are afraid that a woman will go nuts. Me however I don't have a soft bigotry of low expectations, so I'll call out a bigoted man or woman like Whovian feminism.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Excellent rant, burrunjor. As always, feminists aren't simply content with making strong female heroes of their own. They need to hijack male ones too for some bizarre reason.

Richayard

fuck me this is witless shit

Zarius

Zarius

Is it a sufficient swansong to one of the best Doctors we’ve had in years? No, not really. Is it a fabulously festive offering for all the family to enjoy? No, not really either. But it is the end of an era - it’s the last time you’ll see Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, the last time you’ll see the current design of the TARDIS, the last time - anniversary specials pending - that you’ll see whatever version of Bill this is. It’s also the last time you’ll hear this bloody awful version of the theme tune, so every snowy cloud.

Which one of you writes for The Independent?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/doctor-who-christmas-special-review-twice-upon-a-time-spoiler-free-first-look-a8124941.html

Very Happy

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Zarius wrote:
Is it a sufficient swansong to one of the best Doctors we’ve had in years? No, not really. Is it a fabulously festive offering for all the family to enjoy? No, not really either. But it is the end of an era - it’s the last time you’ll see Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, the last time you’ll see the current design of the TARDIS, the last time - anniversary specials pending - that you’ll see whatever version of Bill this is. It’s also the last time you’ll hear this bloody awful version of the theme tune, so every snowy cloud.

Which one of you writes for The Independent?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/doctor-who-christmas-special-review-twice-upon-a-time-spoiler-free-first-look-a8124941.html

Very Happy

Dear god, the comments. Some poor guy who is sick of NuWho and has been a loyal fan of the show since 1963 is being called a sexist for voicing his displeasure of all the misandric dialogue throughout the Moffat era and Time Lord regeneration being retconned into becoming a fucking sex change operation. NuWho fans make me sick to my fucking stomach.

iank

iank

Shit always find its level.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Boofer

Boofer

I don't see much hope for the future of the show, as NuWho is a manifestation of fan inheritance, and not the unbiased, unaffected construction of professional writers with fresh ideas and respect for the show it should have been

Unfortunately, the original show spawned thousands of wannabe fanfic writers, of which a select few went on to craft the identity of the new show. That's why there have been so many postmodern, intertextual references to the past and scenes which, in addition to being totally antithetical to the spirit of the original series, also offered the viewer a sharply-focused view of the insecurities of the writers involved.

So why have things turned out like this?

In many ways the old show appealed directly to the loner, the outlier, the outcast and the rebel i.e. people who felt marginalised by their experiences in the real world. And while shows like Doctor Who, The Changes, Children of the Stones, etc used to provide comfort and catharsis to troubled kids and teens, they also tapped into the personal indignation of these groups. Anyone who went to school in the 70s and 80s knew what it was like for those kids (the bullying was relentless).

That's where the two paradoxical seeds of destruction originate: a burning desire of the writers to recreate the fantastical Heimat of their youths, but in a way that doesn't remind them of the trials and pains of being 'different'. It's the fundamental driver behind their eagerness to inflict populism, popular culture and social politics on the audience. In 70s terms, they desperately want to scoff down their cakes AND wash them down with  gallons of sugary cherryade.  

Everyone with half a sense of what made the original show great saw it coming. You can't portray the tales of complex, mainly non-violent alternative hero, and then dress him up the trappings of 'coolness' and popularity and expect the show to retain it's core tenets. The Doctor is there to fight authority, control and exploitation, not reinforce capitalistic spectacle or left-wing identitarianism. He is there to do what's right, not what's popular. This is why the show has failed to retain it's soul and has become a mere pastiche of what it was. True, the elements are there: Tardis, baddies, Doctor, companions and adventures, but the show used represent so much more than a mere melodrama, and no amount of trite emotionality, zaniness, CGI, Zeitgeist-y references and shoe-horned political agendas will ever replace the crassly discarded heart of the show.

And all this because the fans and writers became one and the same. Generally, fans have been very willing to be the writing team's uncritical acolytes (no doubt tapping into the same intoxicating oil and water cocktail of a once beloved show's cross-infection with the facets of normie existence they always loathed, but secretly aspired to be part of).

For these fans the show can't possibly go back, as it's too evocative of the otherness they used to embrace and are now desperate to leave behind. Indeed, the show is probably finished in it's original form, which makes me think: just what is the point any more? Do I sit around and wait until I'm a brain in a jar supported by DNA-repairing nanobots, or do I move on?

They say change is inevitable, but it's not always the change you want, is it?

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

It doesn't have to be this way! Bring back the episodic format and adventure based narratives but keep the character based stuff, in proportion, and cut out the zany crap. It's not a family show anymore, look at the figures below:

During Eccleston’s tenure, children aged 4-15 made up just 15.6 per cent of Doctor Who’s viewers. In six years that figure has risen to 19 per cent for Matt Smith.

The 16-25 age group has also enjoyed growth, increasing its share by 25 per cent – from 7 per cent of the audience in 2005 to 9 per cent today.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-09-27/doctor-who-exclusive-matt-smith-is-a-hit-with-children-and-middle-classes/

And just for comparison: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=In0DduOsBvoC&pg=PT24&lpg=PT24&dq=What+percentage+of+Doctor+who%27s+audience+is+children&source=bl&ots=vifsRqREog&sig=qI-uv0Ttc_5SaA7jamVZnipPgRo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIrq66m6vVAhUMDsAKHeW5BpAQ6AEIZDAJ#v=onepage&q=What%20percentage%20of%20Doctor%20who's%20audience%20is%20children&f=false

40% in the JNT era. It's a different audience, stop writing a family show if kids are no longer watching

iank

iank

Great post, Seal.
I don't see any hope either. The sole hope might be that Chibbers will at least be less of a self-loathing, fandom-baiting CUNT than Mofftwat, but based on his choice of casting at least - perhaps the biggest piece of classic fan baiting yet - and after a Xmas special that attacks the original version of its hero as a sexist - that hope is down the toilet with the rest of the shit.

burrunjor

burrunjor

The sole hope might be that Chibbers will at least be less of a self-loathing, fandom-baiting CUNT than Mofftwat, but based on his choice of casting at least - perhaps the biggest piece of classic fan baiting yet - and after a Xmas special that attacks the original version of its hero as a sexist - that hope is down the toilet with the rest of the shit.

Chibbers is WORSE than Mofftwat.

Casting a woman is a bigger fuck you to the fans than anything even Mofftwat did.

Think about it Chibbers could have made so many compromises that would have made everybody happy.

He could have cast a black guy and that would have at least ticked some boxes for the SJW cretins if he had to pander to them whilst none of us here would have minded.

Adrian Lester is a big Doctor Who fan, who has expressed interest in the role before, and a fabulous actor. He would have brought a Pertwee style dashing aspect to the role, he's a bit older, more mature, unbelievably charming so he could easily be like an older type Doctor, but he's also a good looking enough guy to probably win back a lot of the fan girls. He's the perfect choice in every respect.

That little obnoxious twerp however cast a woman, knowing that so many both hardcore fans and mainstream viewers hated it, that it was the most polarising idea in the shows history, that it is a serious risk to the shows survival, and that its come at a time when its ratings are the lowest they have ever been (because of shit like this IE Missy, the anti men remarks, the lame virtue signalling, Clara being made into an SJW character), but he didn't care. In his mind the SJWs are the target audience and the rest can get to fuck.

Anyone who says otherwise and claims "oh this was just a creative decision" is full of it.

Look at the shit they have had to do to make a female Doctor flow from the previous 13 male versions.

They have had to first of all write in that ALL Time Lords have no concept of gender, which is at total odds with every single Time Lord character in the series.

They have had to make out in order for a woman not to seem jarring after 13 men, that there are no constants to the character of the Doctor or the show. "Oh the Doctor can be anybody. Doctor Who is all about change so all change is good."

A terrible attitude to have to the show. DW like anything else has a core set of characteristics, traditions and staples that it must always follow, as if doesn't then its no longer DW.

If there are NO constants in the show why is the TARDIS still a police box? Why do the Daleks still have the same design and characterisation? Why the fuck are they even still in the show! Why are the Cybermen, UNIT, the Sontarans etc still in the show?

Simple because the show is NOT all about change. It has a flexible format that can allow it to change if need be, but you need a good reason to change. There isn't any reason however to change a characters gender after 50 plus years and a massive, global built in audience who identifies with him as a man, so in order to get round that these cretins have to say all change is good in the show.

As a result this has led to the shows history being vandalised in many regards like the hybrid storyline to back this up.

The New Who cunts have it the wrong way round. You are supposed to bring about changes by doing new types of stories, not messing with the formula for the sake of it. They however keep doing the same shit "lets have a story arc where the Doctor knows he's going to die and goes on hedonistic goodbye tour to put it off, lets do a Doctor companion love story, lets have the companion run off with another woman whilst getting god like powers, lets bring back the Daleks, Cybermen, and the Master AGAIN.) Whilst messing with time honoured traditions as their something new.

Then there is also their destroying the Master's character to set a precedent, and finally their turning the first Doctor into a sexist so that the 12th Doctor will want to undergo castration to make amends for being a filthy, cis white hetero male.

They never had to do this shit to make the Doctor younger, or older, and they wouldn't have to do it to make him a black guy like Adrian Lester.

That shows you how a female Doctor does NOT flow from the previous incarnations and sticks out like a sore thumb. Yet they still went down that minefield? Why?

Whilst Moff may have dragged us to the edge, that little cunt pushed us over the edge.

Steven Moffat said the key to writing good Who is to treat it like you own it. That's the worst advice I can think of. Its also incredibly bad manners to salt the earth for future writers by twisting iconic characters to your own stupid vision.

Moff's just so lucky the next guy was worse.

Defeatment

Defeatment wrote:A friend has told me that a mutual friend asked both my friend and me to mutual friends family this Christmas Day!
I gave my mutual friend my charity shop Rose/End Of The World and Revisitations 3 for his kids to watch and have not heard back about them.
So I could be missing the Christmas Special, or I could be watching it but at least be off my face enough to endure it!
I hope your own Christmas will be as enjoyable!

Spoke too soon! Plans have changed and while going out still, I will be back in time for it tomorrow.
I want to make a thread for whoever is in here at the time so we can post live commentary as it happens!
Or just use this thread etc

Mott1

Mott1

How cruel to have your hopes of missing it raised and then dashed in such a manner...

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

So, uh... who here is actually going to be watching the special tomorrow? I think I'm gonna wait till Boxing Day to see it. I don't wanna tarnish my Christmas day with this loathsome pile of goatshit.

Mott1

Mott1

I can't imagine it'll give Boxing Day much of a lift either...

iank

iank

It's not on here till Boxing Day anyway... and I'm watching an old Jonathan Creek Xmas special instead.
I might watch the regeneration scene on YT for shits and giggles though.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I will watch it. But the denigrating of the first Doctor's attitudes is gonna take some stomaching. Not sure if I will remember to watch the broadcast, but will catch it tomoz

Defeatment

Last night I dreamed of Doctor Who, McCoy was in the role and it centered around his companion turning into a giant spider with built in military explosives. The "episode" centred around his awkwardness at what happened, but he was happy enough to use her to fight a few things etc.

It's not going to get any better if I watch it tonight, so that's my headcannon!

burrunjor

burrunjor

Refuse to watch even a second of it. I will not watch a cultural icon be desecrated like this to pander to a bunch of spoiled, entitled, privileged little shits like Whovian Feminism, and I will not watch a self loathing fanboy cunt like Moffat insult the legacy of an actor who actually created something worthwhile whilst all this little shit has done is destroy it for the past few years.

Richayard

burrunjor wrote:Refuse to watch even a second of it. I will not watch a cultural icon be desecrated like this to pander to a bunch of spoiled, entitled, privileged little shits like Whovian Feminism, and I will not watch a self loathing fanboy cunt like Moffat insult the legacy of an actor who actually created something worthwhile whilst all this little shit has done is destroy it for the past few years.

damn straight

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Just very dull.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum