Stevewoodley86
DogStar2000
Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 28]

376Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th September 2019, 11:47 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mindwarp was a horrible mess, yes. Some of its nastier ideas (the Doctor turns evil and betrays Peri, Peri dying in a cruel bodyswap experiment) taken by themselves I could've probably lived with in and of themselves, but not all done together in the same story.

I think it was around this time Eric Saward had stopped caring and jumped ship (or at least was about to). Ian Levine too. If only they'd both done it sooner, back in 1983.

If only Cartmel had taken over back then....

377Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th September 2019, 2:01 am

iank

iank

I think Saward did indeed walk during production of Mindwarp IIRC.
To backtrack a bit, I love season 2 and the Bill/Ian/Babs Vicki team too. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

378Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th September 2019, 10:39 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Shada (2017 animated Blu Ray). A thoroughly wonderful conclusion to the Graham Williams era, with an inherently charming atmosphere and a script from Douglas Adams with epic and high concept aspirations and literary ideas. The animation is also generally very successful, never loosing the signature charm of the story, and the music score is underplayed yet superb, signalling Dudley Simpson’s motifs from City Of Death and combining them with Tom Baker’s underscored theme from the Hinchcliffe era (as played in The Ark in Space, Genesis Of The Daleks, Planet Of Evil, Pyramids and Morbius) in order to create one nostalgic and all-encompassing soundtrack that encapsulates the 70s and Tom’s era as a whole, without being intrusive or overt akin to Gold’s New Who scores. The ending featuring an 83 year old Tom Baker re-appearing in the Tardis is a little baffling, but ultimately fan-pleasing in its own right.

The emphasis of books within the story is also noteworthy, alongside the story’s very narrative being guided by one (with references to intellectual figures and literature such as Wordsworth, Marvell, H.G Wells, Wuthering Heights etc) - as explored in the official documentary of the Williams era (as found on the Ribos Operation DVD), Tom Baker’s era featured by far the most literary allusions in the programme’s history, and so via this emphasis, the story encapsulates the literary feel of 70s Who as a whole, and thus serves as an apt thematic conclusion to the decade.

379Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th September 2019, 10:47 pm

iank

iank

A top 10 favourite of mine. Smile

380Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th September 2019, 10:52 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:A top 10 favourite of mine. Smile
A fine candidate. It seems to get better with age, too.

The Who story randomiser has guided me to The War Games next, although I’ll probably review Human Nature first once I get around to viewing the whole thing. I re-watched part 1 today- there is so much more wrong with the script than most people acknowledge.

381Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 7:41 am

Ludders

Ludders

Curse of Peladon.

S9 is a pretty weak season, and whilst Peladon isn't the worst of the season, it's very routine stuff and it's a blessing that it's not a 6 parter.
There are some good characters, like Hepesh and Izlyr, and even Arcturus is rather fun. But then there's the headache inducing Alpha Centauri, and the very lame King Peladon.
I like the scenes at the very beginning where the Tardis falls down the cliff, but from then onwards it's pretty average stuff. What with the Ice Warriors and Jon Pertwee, the addition of David Troughton makes some of the scenes sound like a lisping competition. The romance with Jo is not particularly convincing, and neither is the fight between the Doctor and Grun.
The best thing I can say about it overall, is that it's mildly diverting and not terrible, and  certainly not as dull as The Mutants.
I think 6/10 is as kind as I can go.

382Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 7:59 am

iank

iank

lol I started watching that this morning and made it into part 2 before turning it off because it is, as you say, pretty dull.

383Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 7:59 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Curse of Peladon.

S9 is a pretty weak season, and whilst Peladon isn't the worst of the season, it's very routine stuff and it's a blessing that it's not a 6 parter.
There are some good characters, like Hepesh and Izlyr, and even Arcturus is rather fun. But then there's the headache inducing Alpha Centauri, and the very lame King Peladon.
I like the scenes at the very beginning where the Tardis falls down the cliff, but from then onwards it's pretty average stuff. What with the Ice Warriors and Jon Pertwee, the addition of David Troughton makes some of the scenes sound like a lisping competition. The romance with Jo is not particularly convincing, and neither is the fight between the Doctor and Grun.
The best thing I can say about it overall, is that it's mildly diverting and not terrible, and  certainly not as dull as The Mutants.
I think 6/10 is as kind as I can go.
Can’t argue with any of that. I don’t mind Curse, but it’s definitely overrated in particular fan circles. As far as season 9 stories go, I’d call it the weakest of the season’s passable stories (that being the first three stories).

384Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 8:19 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:I’d call it the weakest of the season’s passable stories (that being the first three stories).

A good way of putting it.
I do enjoy Day of the Daleks, but I'm saving it for a Dalek marathon sometime. Big Grin
As for watching the rest of S9, I think it will be a struggle after The Sea Devils....

385Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 10:57 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Human Nature/The Family Of Blood review:
This won’t be a full evisceration, as this story does succeed in some areas (some of the acting is decent) and isn’t quite as bad as the previous two NuWho stories I’ve previously covered on this thread. Still, here we go:

We open with the Doctor and Martha being shot at and pursued by the family whilst locking themselves in the Tardis. The editing here is so frantic and frankly distracting that it does kill any semblance of tension- there are about 17 cuts in 10 seconds. The Doctor proceeds to make himself human via a ‘chameleon arch’ as a means of hiding himself away. What?! Why would you re-write your biology and erase any memory of yourself from your human self when you know full well that you’re being pursued? It is so easy to put anyone in danger this way, and practically allows Martha to experience overt racial discrimination later in the story, and results in the death of innocent women and children likewise. It’s also established 10 minutes into the story that the Family only live for a mere few months, so why take the risk? Just evade them through time and space until they eventually die- don’t confine yourself physically and mentally to a location where innocents thrive and will ultimately be put in danger! This is already completely out of character, and just isn’t plausible in the slightest when any thought is put to it. Fuck it- why not just ‘stop being kind’ and torture them immediately, you pillock?

After the Doctor awakens as John Smith, he shows his new lover, Joan Redfern, a journal of the Doctor’s life (as key facets of the Doctor still emerge within his mind). He alludes to the character of Rose making constant appearances in the journal- I find it rather hard to believe that Rose would take precedence over Susan, Gallifrey or the Classic Doctors in such a journal as they ultimately defined him much more than a character who he conveniently fell in love with for little discernible emotional reason, so this scene comes across as pandering to RTD’s era. Come to that, how did Martha manage to instil John Smith within the establishment that quickly? She only goes back to the Tardis to listen to his instructions 10 minutes later, so it clearly happened very recently.

The Doctor is established as a ‘romantic...one for the ladies’ type amongst the Doctor and Redfern during later scenes between them both. This does not correspond with the original character in the slightest, and just seems to further pander to both the pious nature of the New Who production team and the teen audience Cornell seems desperate to entice.

The Family’s ship touches down, and Jeremy Baines finds himself possessed by them after entering their ship, in a decidedly over the top scene that isn’t laced with any sort of atmosphere due to the quick cutting and lack of time for the audience to absorb the shots.

Timothy encounters the Doctor’s fob watch, and the Doctor’s consciousness can be deciphered from within, albeit in the guise of a self-worshipping God. This is likewise completely out of character and just seeks to transform the character into a fan-fiction caricature of himself. Some criticise the Cartmel era for doing this first, but the key difference there is that the Doctor merely dabbled with potential Godlike entities and deceived them for his own ends, and never seemed to worship either himself or any other deity in such a manner. There was always a sense during seasons 25 and 26 that the Seventh Doctor wasn’t self-absorbed about any Godlike associations he had as they were always implemented to achieve a bigger goal. Here, the Doctor relishes himself as a deity and never seems to have any bigger objective in mind beyond worshipping himself.

Martha goes back to the Tardis and contemplates the notion of the Doctor ‘falling in love with another woman, and it wasn’t me.’ For fuck’s sake- do we have to go back to this adolescent romantic subplot? This story is so fucking soapish that it hurts.

Clark, Jenny and the little girl are all taken in by animated scarecrows, with none of them being able to overpower them or fight back in any way in spite of being made of straw. A little clunky.

The family ambush the party and try to coax John Smith into becoming human- Tennant’s acting starts to decline here. He seems to go back to his gurning self and starts shouting to high heaven. And Baines is noticeably over the top too- frankly, he was better in the six episodes of Game of Thrones he appeared in. And can I point out how crap the Family’s weaponry looks? People acknowledge this story as being very well made and criticise Classic Who for its special effects defects, yet fail to acknowledge how shit the guns look here.

The next 20 minutes consist of the scarecrows raiding the establishment- this section is probably the most airtight part of the story as it doesn’t dismantle the Doctor’s character as such (barring one exchange with Redfern about the Doctor being a ‘romantic lost prince’, which is the same old bollocks as before), so I’ll not dwindle too much on it here.

The Family just happen to find the Tardis merely 10 minutes after raiding the establishment with no connecting scene to showcase how they find it- what a great hiding place!

John Smith starts wailing and crying over him having to change into the Doctor- this would be fine were it not for the overwrought mawkishness and self-pitying tone of the scene, not to mention Tennant’s OTT performance. This is made all the more insufferable by the “he’s like fire and ice and rage” speech- what child his age would communicate this way, and how the fuck does it relate to the character of the Doctor in any discernible way? Oh- and this is made all the more crap by Martha bringing up her ‘love’ for the Doctor again. Why is this remotely necessary?

John Smith goes to the Family’s ship (as The Doctor), and pretends to play the fool whilst dismantling the ship. This would be perfectly fine were it not for the fact that he is obviously pressing buttons at his own accord- this couldn’t be seen as accidental as he specifically slides his hands down each button. Crap directing or poor scripting? The ship blows up, and the family are defeated in something of a rubbish anti-climax.

The Doctor decides to behave more out of character than ever before and torture the family for all eternity (somehow- we’re never really told how he’s capable of trapping someone in a mirror). What a hypocritical arse. This is merely three stories after he attempted to rescue the Daleks and ‘help’ them after killing infinitely more than the family ever did, and two stories prior to crying over the Master being shot after he massacred millions and subjected Martha’s family to torture (and suggested rape in her sister’s and mother’s case). What is this Doctor’s moral code? And why would he even need to subject them to this torture? They would ultimately die merely a few months later anyway, so why all this sadism? God, this is such pretentious shit on so many levels- I guess I have written a full evisceration after all! And the notion of the Doctor ‘being kind’ rather than imprisoning them immediately further caused the character to decline into a product of fan fiction.

Joan says goodbye to the Doctor in a decidedly reserved scene for an era so overt, yet this is followed by an insufferably sentimental ending that echoes the worst excesses of Spielberg films. Remember that scene in The Curse Of Fenric where the Reverend’s faith is broken by ‘British bombs killing German children’? The scene presents both side of the war as inherently bound by some variation of evil, and Fenric as a story confronts how we can overcome and purge such evils in a mature way, without resorting to such sickening simplicity. It never provides its viewer with a patronising message like this does- an example of active spectatorship. But here, the ending is purely patriotic, with no nuance or subtlety in sight, and Gold’s music simply enhances this.

It seems as if this story is largely praised by many due to tugging at the audience’s heartstrings due to this ending, Gold’s music, Tennant’s emotive performance and due to the period setting as a whole, yet the actual philosophy behind the story is about as simplistic and adolescent as it possibly gets, though this was also present in Father’s Day and is presumably a staple of Cornell’s writing. It has genuinely stunned me how much worse this story is than I initially thought it was.

386Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 12:05 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Bernard Marx wrote:Human Nature/The Family Of Blood review:
This won’t be a full evisceration, as this story does succeed in some areas (some of the acting is decent) and isn’t quite as bad as the previous two NuWho stories I’ve previously covered on this thread. Still, here we go:

We open with the Doctor and Martha being shot at and pursued by the family whilst locking themselves in the Tardis. The editing here is so frantic and frankly distracting that it does kill any semblance of tension- there are about 17 cuts in 10 seconds. The Doctor proceeds to make himself human via a ‘chameleon arch’ as a means of hiding himself away. What?! Why would you re-write your biology and erase any memory of yourself from your human self when you know full well that you’re being pursued? It is so easy to put anyone in danger this way, and practically allows Martha to experience overt racial discrimination later in the story, and results in the death of innocent women and children likewise. It’s also established 10 minutes into the story that the Family only live for a mere few months, so why take the risk? Just evade them through time and space until they eventually die- don’t confine yourself physically and mentally to a location where innocents thrive and will ultimately be put in danger! This is already completely out of character, and just isn’t plausible in the slightest when any thought is put to it. Fuck it- why not just ‘stop being kind’ and torture them immediately, you pillock?

After the Doctor awakens as John Smith, he shows his new lover, Joan Redfern, a journal of the Doctor’s life (as key facets of the Doctor still emerge within his mind). He alludes to the character of Rose making constant appearances in the journal- I find it rather hard to believe that Rose would take precedence over Susan, Gallifrey or the Classic Doctors in such a journal as they ultimately defined him much more than a character who he conveniently fell in love with for little discernible emotional reason, so this scene comes across as pandering to RTD’s era. Come to that, how did Martha manage to instil John Smith within the establishment that quickly? She only goes back to the Tardis to listen to his instructions 10 minutes later, so it clearly happened very recently.

The Doctor is established as a ‘romantic...one for the ladies’ type amongst the Doctor and Redfern during later scenes between them both. This does not correspond with the original character in the slightest, and just seems to further pander to both the pious nature of the New Who production team and the teen audience Cornell seems desperate to entice.

The Family’s ship touches down, and Jeremy Baines finds himself possessed by them after entering their ship, in a decidedly over the top scene that isn’t laced with any sort of atmosphere due to the quick cutting and lack of time for the audience to absorb the shots.

Timothy encounters the Doctor’s fob watch, and the Doctor’s consciousness can be deciphered from within, albeit in the guise of a self-worshipping God. This is likewise completely out of character and just seeks to transform the character into a fan-fiction caricature of himself. Some criticise the Cartmel era for doing this first, but the key difference there is that the Doctor merely dabbled with potential Godlike entities and deceived them for his own ends, and never seemed to worship either himself or any other deity in such a manner. There was always a sense during seasons 25 and 26 that the Seventh Doctor wasn’t self-absorbed about any Godlike associations he had as they were always implemented to achieve a bigger goal. Here, the Doctor relishes himself as a deity and never seems to have any bigger objective in mind beyond worshipping himself.

Martha goes back to the Tardis and contemplates the notion of the Doctor ‘falling in love with another woman, and it wasn’t me.’ For fuck’s sake- do we have to go back to this adolescent romantic subplot? This story is so fucking soapish that it hurts.

Clark, Jenny and the little girl are all taken in by animated scarecrows, with none of them being able to overpower them or fight back in any way in spite of being made of straw. A little clunky.

The family ambush the party and try to coax John Smith into becoming human- Tennant’s acting starts to decline here. He seems to go back to his gurning self and starts shouting to high heaven. And Baines is noticeably over the top too- frankly, he was better in the six episodes of Game of Thrones he appeared in. And can I point out how crap the Family’s weaponry looks? People acknowledge this story as being very well made and criticise Classic Who for its special effects defects, yet fail to acknowledge how shit the guns look here.

The next 20 minutes consist of the scarecrows raiding the establishment- this section is probably the most airtight part of the story as it doesn’t dismantle the Doctor’s character as such (barring one exchange with Redfern about the Doctor being a ‘romantic lost prince’, which is the same old bollocks as before), so I’ll not dwindle too much on it here.

The Family just happen to find the Tardis merely 10 minutes after raiding the establishment with no connecting scene to showcase how they find it- what a great hiding place!

John Smith starts wailing and crying over him having to change into the Doctor- this would be fine were it not for the overwrought mawkishness and self-pitying tone of the scene, not to mention Tennant’s OTT performance. This is made all the more insufferable by the “he’s like fire and ice and rage” speech- what child his age would communicate this way, and how the fuck does it relate to the character of the Doctor in any discernible way? Oh- and this is made all the more crap by Martha bringing up her ‘love’ for the Doctor again. Why is this remotely necessary?

John Smith goes to the Family’s ship (as The Doctor), and pretends to play the fool whilst dismantling the ship. This would be perfectly fine were it not for the fact that he is obviously pressing buttons at his own accord- this couldn’t be seen as accidental as he specifically slides his hands down each button. Crap directing or poor scripting? The ship blows up, and the family are defeated in something of a rubbish anti-climax.

The Doctor decides to behave more out of character than ever before and torture the family for all eternity (somehow- we’re never really told how he’s capable of trapping someone in a mirror). What a hypocritical arse. This is merely three stories after he attempted to rescue the Daleks and ‘help’ them after killing infinitely more than the family ever did, and two stories prior to crying over the Master being shot after he massacred millions and subjected Martha’s family to torture (and suggested rape in her sister’s and mother’s case). What is this Doctor’s moral code? And why would he even need to subject them to this torture? They would ultimately die merely a few months later anyway, so why all this sadism? God, this is such pretentious shit on so many levels- I guess I have written a full evisceration after all! And the notion of the Doctor ‘being kind’ rather than imprisoning them immediately further caused the character to decline into a product of fan fiction.

Joan says goodbye to the Doctor in a decidedly reserved scene for an era so overt, yet this is followed by an insufferably sentimental ending that echoes the worst excesses of Spielberg films. Remember that scene in The Curse Of Fenric where the Reverend’s faith is broken by ‘British bombs killing German children’? The scene presents both side of the war as inherently bound by some variation of evil, and Fenric as a story confronts how we can overcome and purge such evils in a mature way, without resorting to such sickening simplicity. It never provides its viewer with a patronising message like this does- an example of active spectatorship.  But here, the ending is purely patriotic, with no nuance or subtlety in sight, and Gold’s music simply enhances this.

It seems as if this story is largely praised by many due to tugging at the audience’s heartstrings due to this ending, Gold’s music, Tennant’s emotive performance and due to the period setting as a whole, yet the actual philosophy behind the story is about as simplistic and adolescent as it possibly gets, though this was also present in Father’s Day and is presumably a staple of Cornell’s writing. It has genuinely stunned me how much worse this story is than I initially thought it was.

Excellent review. Agreed with ever single word of that. The only decent bit of DW fiction Paul Cornell has ever written is Scream of the Shalka. Even then I probably only like that so much because it allows us to write out New Who (though the Shalka are pretty good monsters.)

Paul Cornell just doesn't know how to write for the Doctor. He either goes too far in making him an alien who apparently has no concept of human love or affection which is absurd, or he turns him into a mopey, I'm so tortured Angel/Xena expy, except its not as effective as either of those characters.

To be fair to Cornell most of the New Who writers do the same. Maybe if they didn't all think exactly the same, and "bend the knee" to their own shallow received wisdom, then one of them might write the Doctor properly.

387Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th September 2019, 10:17 pm

iank

iank

Something very like Human Nature passed through my bowels just this morning.

388Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th September 2019, 8:57 am

iank

iank

The Keeper of Traken. Don't know why, haven't seen it for donkeys years. It's... kinda dull. Not as dull as Curse of Peladon, but still pretty dull. There's a few good moments and performances (though the chick who plays Kassia plays her as so clearly off her rocker it makes everyone look an idiot for not tumbling her to straight off) but it's very plodding and stagey. There's a fair amount of irony in the fact that literally the only thing that makes this story at all memorable is the Melkur/Master revelation, which was actually an 11th hour insertion by JNT and not part of the original script...

389Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th September 2019, 9:23 am

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

iank wrote:The Keeper of Traken. Don't know why, haven't seen it for donkeys years. It's... kinda dull. Not as dull as Curse of Peladon, but still pretty dull. There's a few good moments and performances (though the chick who plays Kassia plays her as so clearly off her rocker it makes everyone look an idiot for not tumbling her to straight off) but it's very plodding and stagey. There's a fair amount of irony in the fact that literally the only thing that makes this story at all memorable is the Melkur/Master revelation, which was actually an 11th hour insertion by JNT and not part of the original script...
Yeah, I've tried watching this story recently, and there is too much talking and exposition, without any iconic setpieces or action. As a penultimate story for a Doctor, it's so boring. Then again, a lot of Doctor's penultimate stories are dreary to sit through.
That said though, I adore Geoffrey Beevers as the Master, he feels so chilling in the story, and feels like the only one who gives a fuck on the script.

390Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th September 2019, 9:45 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I never noticed that trend of penultimate stories for Doctors in the Classic series being dreary or nondescript:
The Smugglers, The Space Pirates, Monster Of Peladon, Keeper of Traken, Planet Of Fire, Terror of the Vervoids (does it count? I guess it does) etc. They can all be considered quite inconsequential.

391Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th September 2019, 10:37 am

Ludders

Ludders

iank wrote:Something very like Human Nature passed through my bowels just this morning.

LOL

392Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 10th September 2019, 11:44 pm

iank

iank

Tried watching Logopolis last night, but by God it's even duller than Traken, as well as being basically incomprehensible nonsense (as someone else once sagely pointed out, the Logopolitans are basically performing magic with no real explanation as to how, and yet no one points this out, so much for Mr Science Bidmead). Adric is just about bearable on his own but then the other two blocks of wood arrive...
I made it to a few minutes into part 3 and was literally nodding off. Ended up turning it off and watching The Lodger. One of my least fave series 5 eps, but it was amusing enough and certainly less boring...

My part-season 18 (sort of) rewatch/marathon is not going well... Gimme season 17 any day!

393Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 11th September 2019, 7:04 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Currently making my way through 'The Two Doctors' which I've not seen in quite some time.  Like most '80s Who, it looks rather garish, is dreadfully overlit and a bit cheap-looking and shoddy but it's nice to see Pat and Frazer again and the very lovely Jacqueline Pearce, too. Best of all is Robert Holmes' colourful dialogue (especially his wonderfully descriptive love of the grotesque and the morbid):

"That is the smell of death, Peri. Ancient musk, heavy in the air. Fruit-soft flesh, peeling from white bones. The unholy, unburiable smell of Armageddon."

Pros:  
This time around, I realize that I quite fancy Oscar's Spanish girlfriend, Anita.

Cons:
Why are the usually short and thickset Sontarans so tall and lanky?

394Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 11th September 2019, 7:45 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Tried watching Logopolis last night, but by God it's even duller than Traken, as well as being basically incomprehensible nonsense (as someone else once sagely pointed out, the Logopolitans are basically performing magic with no real explanation as to how, and yet no one points this out, so much for Mr Science Bidmead). Adric is just about bearable on his own but then the other two blocks of wood arrive...
I made it to a few minutes into part 3 and was literally nodding off. Ended up turning it off and watching The Lodger. One of my least fave series 5 eps, but it was amusing enough and certainly less boring...

My part-season 18 (sort of) rewatch/marathon is not going well... Gimme season 17 any day!
Although I rather like season 18 on the whole, I too do not enjoy the final two stories much (and I prefer season 17 too). Concerning Logopolis, I think some of the ideas present are interesting, Kingsland’s funeral-esque synthesised score is superb and that the regeneration scene itself is great, but everything else is remarkably dull. The direction is staid and pedestrian as all hell, much of the narrative seems implausible and frankly baffling (the point you raised about the Logopolitans is true indeed),much of the acting is crap, and much of it seems unnecessarily meandering for what should be a regeneration story. I’d call it the weakest regeneration story of the original series bar none- I don’t count Time and the Rani due to its status as a post-regeneration story.

395Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 11th September 2019, 9:09 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Kaijuko wrote:

This time around, I realize that I quite fancy Oscar's Spanish girlfriend, Anita.

Yes, she was exquisite.

396Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th September 2019, 2:23 am

Ludders

Ludders

The Sea Devils

This is one of those stories that would've been a 10/10 story when I was 9, but hasn't quite held up that level of esteem into my adult viewing years.
I still think it has many positive points. The Sea Devils look great. To me they're up there with the Zygons and the Ice Warriors for classic series costume design at its albeit low budget best.
Delgado shines once again as the Master, and giving the character a break for 2 whole stories was a wise move, as one of the criticisms of S8 was that it had become a little formulaic throughout.
Ironically this story does still feel somewhat formulaic. We have the Master (enjoyable as Delgado is) colluding with an alien (sort of) species again. We have the annoying/stupid petty bureaucrat. And we have the navy essentially filling the role of UNIT.
It's not that I don't enjoy the story, so much as there being better examples of its type over the previous two seasons. I can't help but compare it to The Silurians, for obvious seasons. But for me, where the Silurians cracks on at a good pace, largely because it has a plot that unfolds and pans out in different ways. It's not just that The Sea Devils is a bit of rehash, which I don't mind in principle, it's that it doesn't rehash very well in terms of plot development. It simply doesn't do quite as much; despite giving us different trimmings. It seems to plod along, and feels slower (and a bit cosier) than the Silurians, even though the latter is an episode longer.
Despite all these things, it's not an unenjoyable romp, especially compared to what comes next. And I'd put it as the next best story of this fairly weak season, after Day of the Daleks. I'd give it 7/10.

397Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th September 2019, 2:30 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Yeah as a followup rehash to The Silurians, The Sea Devils is very on the clunky side (though at least it's morally workable and coherent, which is more than can be said for the reptiles' next appearance). It does become apparent actually that neither the Sea Devils, nor the Master by this point, was really much of a well that worth returning to as they unfortunately did.

398Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th September 2019, 7:49 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I thoroughly enjoy The Sea Devils, but it’s certainly inferior to The Silurians. There’s nowhere near as much moral ambiguity there, and as Ronnie acknowledges, the story doesn’t move as much as The Silurians due to the comparative lack of characters and plot dynamics at play. I’d rate the script lower than Day of the Daleks too (which is fantastic and extremely underrated). I’d still call it very enjoyable, though- it has some very well directed action scenes (as aided by HAVOC) and the Doctor/Master interplay is great. It’s light years ahead of every season 9 story with the exception of Day, anyway.

399Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th September 2019, 9:14 am

iank

iank

I find it pretty boring. What makes it worse is that the most boring episode is actually episode 6, which is... really not right. Instead of speeding up to an exciting climax, it just sort of... peters out.

400Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 16 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th September 2019, 11:11 am

Ludders

Ludders

The music gets on my tits/gives me the shits (delete according to continent) as well. Lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum