Tanmann
Ludders
Fendelman
REDACTED
Pepsi Maxil
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stories you've warmed to? Empty Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:01 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Gunfighters, Time-Flight, The King's Demons, Attack of the Cybermen (I've recently got back into it), Terror of the Vervoids and Battlefield.

2Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:18 pm

REDACTED

The Invasion, Terror Of The Autons, The Daemons, The Android Invasion, Castrovalva and Battlefield to name a few.

3Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:37 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Except for Face of Evil, Image of the Fendahl, and The Sun Makers, I used to think the whole 4/Leela era was boring. A few years ago I decided I really liked Fendahl and watched it a lot. Since then, I've really taken to all of their stories.

4Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:44 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I never used to like Silver Nemesis that much.The whole thing has really grown on me over the last few years. I like how fast it is and enjoy the countryside setting. I now prefer it to every Season 26 tale except Fenric.

5Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:45 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Ghost Light, Battlefield, Most McCoy stories except S24 and Crapiness Patrol.
Much as I take the piss, I don't cringe quite so much about him or Aldred's shit acting these days. You sort of get used to it up to a point. Even Greatest Show and Silly Nemesis I can tolerate these days.

6Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 10:47 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Castrovalva I suppose is the big one
The Invasion of Time
State of Decay
Terror of the Vervoids
Timelash (for some reason I found myself keeping returning to it)
Frontier in Space (I used to think it was a tad pantomime, but actually it's proved more rewarding with rewatches)

7Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 11:22 pm

iank

iank

Vervoids. The SE was much better without all the Trial shit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

8Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 11:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:Vervoids. The SE was much better without all the Trial shit.

I just fast forward through all that crap. I don't need to get the Blu ray Big Grin It gets extra marks for introducing the BEST companion.

9Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 11:25 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Vervoids.  It gets extra marks for introducing the BEST companion.

Bit after Leela's time weren't it? Wink[/quote]

10Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 8th February 2020, 11:25 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:
iank wrote:Vervoids.  It gets extra marks for introducing the BEST companion.

Bit after Leela's time weren't it? Wink

She's rising up my list at a rapid pace. Rather like my dick in my trousers whenever I see her.

11Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:00 am

Ludders

Ludders

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I'm slowly getting back into Colin Baker's stuff now.

On balance, although I like Colin's Doctor more than McCoy, I probably like more McCoy stories better than I do Colin stories. Largely down to Remembrance, and S26 being a big improvement on the whole.

Conversely, both of them have done some excellent BF audios which I think are better than most of their TV stories. McCoy actually comes over better for me because some of the writing plays more to his strengths as the slightly darker, more broody Doctor that comes out in S26 to some degree.
The best example being 'Master', which being an excellent script, and is almost almost a two hander between McCoy and Geoff Beevers.
Not sure if it has the sort of emphasis that would appeal to you, but I'd recommend to any fan of the 7th Doctor, if you haven't heard it. Also, I prefer Aldred on audio too.

12Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:14 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Master was very good, yes.
I'd say the best McCoy audios were the Klein trilogy (A Thousand Tiny Wings, Survival of the Fittest, Architects of History), though obviously newcomers should probably listen to Colditz first.
Live 34 was a novel one I liked a lot.

Bang-Bang-A-Boom was a bit of a guilty pleasure too.

Last edited by Tanmann on 9th February 2020, 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total

13Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:17 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ludders wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:I'm slowly getting back into Colin Baker's stuff now.

On balance, although I like Colin's Doctor more than McCoy, I probably like more McCoy stories better than I do Colin stories. Largely down to Remembrance, and S26 being a big improvement on the whole.

I think a lot of that has to do with Andrew Cartmel and his writing team. A lot of the writers in the McCoy era were very young and I think that youthful spirit and enthusiasm carry over into the stories themselves. Ben was only 24 when he wrote Remembrance! I'll probably be talking about shoving plungers up my arse on the forum when I'm that age LOL

As for Colin, his Season 22 stuff is good. I think Revelation is one of the most imaginative JNT era stories and The Two Doctors is a superb multi-Doctor tale with plenty of humour and adventure. Attack and Timelash are entertaining romps much like Silver Nemesis. I'm not so hot on Trial although Vervoids is good and The Ultimate Foe has some decent elements. I think the McCoy era is consistently better in terms of writing and also in the visuals department.

Big Finish has never really appealed to me that much. The BBC Books are more my cup of tea personally.

14Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:28 am

Ludders

Ludders

Tannmann, I don't think I got as far as some of those, but I remember liking Colditz, but not BBAB so much.
Other good McCoy ones I remember were Dust Breeding, and The Rapture. And much as I think Jon Blum is a total prick, I have to admit to liking The Fearmonger.
And yes Live 34 was good too. Even Flip Flop as well was a good unusual one.

15Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:37 am

Ludders

Ludders

I like Revelation as a story, I just think one or two of cast let it down slightly. Mostly Jenny Tomasin who is appalling, and the main reason I tend to knock it down a point from the 9/10 I would normally give it just as a story.

16Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:42 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Ludders wrote:Tannmann, I don't think I got as far as some of those, but I remember liking Colditz, but not BBAB so much.

Bang-Bang-A-Boom's pretty much Roberts and Hickman piss-taking for four episodes, so I can understand many fans not liking it.

If you enjoyed Colditz I think you would really like the Klein trilogy. Infact there's a little treat episode in there which shows the backstory of how Klein first came to find and operate the Tardis with a little help.

But it definitely feels like old school prime Big Finish, which makes me suspect maybe Briggs was on holiday that month and left the writers to it.

17Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:47 am

Ludders

Ludders

I'll bear that in mind, thanks.
Funny think about Nick Briggs is that he wrote some good stuff early on. I'm thinking mainly Dalek Empire, I suppose.
But he seems to run out of ideas pretty quickly. We'll... GOOD ideas anyway. Lol

18Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 1:02 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Yeah I rated him as a writer/director based on his earlier audios, and the Dalek Empire stuff (prior to the *horrid* fourth season with Noel Clark). Which is why it surprised me that after he took over, the audios just started to feel very diluted all of a sudden.

It felt very much like he and his team were sticking more of an oar into the scripts and trying to see how they could keep it all appearing as jolly and jokey as New Who, just incase any new fans were now buying. Which just got tedious after a while.

There's also the problem that he's been spreading himself too thin by going so mad with the spin-off ranges (feels like they're staring a new one every week). So it's become a bit about quantity over quality, and he'd probably been burning himself out creatively.

19Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:00 pm

stengos

stengos

Horror of Fang Rock. I watched it in 2018 and i really enjoyed it for the first time ever. Leela seemed more enjoyable in this than i ever felt before (back to her Face / Robots / Weng days) and the shipwrecked crew all performed well. Previously I had dismissed them as a bunch of RADA dropouts.

20Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:the shipwrecked crew all performed well. Previously I had dismissed them as a bunch of RADA dropouts.

Oh no. Smile

Those actors were *very* good at playing detestable.

21Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 12:58 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:
stengos wrote:the shipwrecked crew all performed well. Previously I had dismissed them as a bunch of RADA dropouts.

Oh no.  Smile

Some dude even made a fan site for Adelaide.

http://adelaideshrine.tripod.com/

22Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 9:04 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

Oh no.  Smile

She's cute enough, but she's no Judi Bowker.

23Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 9:06 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

Oh no.  Smile

That's very sweet.

24Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 9:07 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Anyhow, add The Visitation to my list.

I've been watching that today and it's been quite entertaining stuff.

25Stories you've warmed to? Empty Re: Stories you've warmed to? 9th February 2020, 9:11 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

" I find Annette Woollett such an exceptionally beautiful and appealing actress; the perfect, "strawberries and cream" English complexion, the golden hair, the long white neck and elegant shoulders, the "wonderous snowy arms" (to borrow Gogol's happy phrase), the big green eyes and delicate mouth, all augmented by the attractive Edwardian dress with the pretty pink bow at the back."

"Alaide seems never to fail to provoke commentary - most of which I have discovered has been dreadfully negative. These commentators couldn't possibly have found our heroine as irritating as I find them"

I really admire this kind of attitude. You can't help but find the whole thing rather adorable.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum