Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 28]

iank

iank

Time of Angels 2parter. Great stuff. Matt and Karen so great in this (and Kazza is sooooooooooo hot.)
Such a shame this era has to exist in the context of the rest of New Poo. Big Grin Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Boofer

Boofer

I finally managed to sit through some Who after struggling with it for for a while.

Warriors of The Deep. It really isn't that terrible. Sure, the Myrka, and lolloping Sea Devils look shitty, and the Doctor plays the anti-human sentiment a little too hard, but it's an interesting and compelling story that's relevant to the cold war context in which it was made.

Probably two edits or so away from being a great story.

REDACTED

Boofer wrote:I finally managed to sit through some Who after struggling with it for for a while.

Warriors of The Deep. It really isn't that terrible. Sure, the Myrka, and lolloping Sea Devils look shitty, and the Doctor plays the anti-human sentiment a little too hard, but it's an interesting and compelling story that's relevant to the cold war context in which it was made.

Probably two edits or so away from being a great story.

*Looks over shoulder to make sure Sadako isn't behind.*

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I actually haven't watched Doctor Who in a while.

I think the last one I watched was Four to Doomsday (the Blu-ray set version) a few months back. It had its moments but largely just felt hollow.

Before that I think it was The Android Invasion. That was quite fun.

205Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 25th June 2019, 10:29 pm

Mott1

Mott1

State Of Decay was one of the last Who stories I saw too. I like the repressed sexuality of the JNT era, there's all sorts of subtexts to characters like Aukon, The Master - even Nyssa at one point.

206Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 25th June 2019, 11:13 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:State Of Decay was one of the last Who stories I saw too. I like the repressed sexuality of the JNT era, there's all sorts of subtexts to characters like Aukon, The Master - even Nyssa at one point.

WHAT? Please tell me you aren't buying into the Master/Doctor slashfest stuff? Please don't repost BeKind's drawing LOL LOL LOL

stengos

stengos

Mott1 wrote:State Of Decay was one of the last Who stories I saw too. I like the repressed sexuality of the JNT era, there's all sorts of subtexts to characters like Aukon, The Master - even Nyssa at one point.

Maybe i am too literal in the way i interpret classic who stories but i don't recall any repressed sexuality in the 1963 to 1989 run. Shipping between the master and the doctor? No. That only surfaced in the RTD and Moffat eras: RTD articulating his own sexual fantasies and Moffat treating the show as a latter day version of his sitcom 'Coupling'.

208Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:28 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Maybe i am too literal in the way i interpret classic who stories but i don't recall any repressed sexuality in the 1963 to 1989 run. Shipping between the master and the doctor? No. That only surfaced in the RTD and Moffat eras: RTD articulating his own sexual fantasies and Moffat treating the show as a latter day version of his sitcom 'Coupling'.

BINGO.

JNT interpreted the Master and Doctor as brothers (As seen in Planet of Fire.) Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks, Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado also viewed them that way too, so there is no way even as a subtext that they would have added sexual tension to them.

TBH you don't even need the brothers angle. Its hilarious to me that on Gallifreybase people think Terrance Dicks and Jon Pertwee were sitting around wanting to make the Doctor/Master confrontations sexy  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL As for the burned Master what UST can there be between the Doctor and a rotting corpse? Its like saying there is UST between Buffy and the Master from that show.

Though obviously if another user thinks that then I don't want to dogpile on them or anything like the freaks on Gallifreybase do to dissenters. All opinions should be welcome here.

To be fair to Mott1 maybe he meant the way he seduces Kassia. Kassia is very much like an abused spouse to the Master, though even then I feel he seduces her in an emotional, rather than sexual way. He plays on her lonliness and presents himself as her friend, makes her dependent on him, before slowly breaking her down.

IMO repressed sexuality doesn't fit in with JNT either. From what we know about him he was anything but repressed sexually, hence the term doable barkers LOL.

stengos

stengos

What does "doable bakers" mean?

'Doable barkers' was JNT and Downie's slang word for fans ('barkers') they fancied their chances of enticing into a sexual tryst with them.

Mott1

Mott1

burrunjor wrote:

WHAT? Please tell me you aren't buying into the Master/Doctor slashfest stuff? Please don't repost BeKind's drawing LOL LOL LOL  

That wasn't quite what I was referring to: I meant the brief moments like where Nyssa tries to get an admiring look from Davo for her new outfit, or The Master's leering over Adric in Castrovalva (also Adric's comment to Romana in s18, which draws a stern yet sympathetic rebuke!)

More subtle than what happens in fan pics now, where characters once played by Peter Cushing and Eric Roberts are shown getting it on in what Eddie from Bottom would term 'lesbian art'! Laughing

stengos

stengos

stengos wrote:

'Doable barkers' was JNT and Downie's slang word for fans ('barkers') they fancied their chances of enticing into a sexual tryst with them.

Sorry but how does this work? This is not the post i made. i only asked the question. My original post has vanished.

I assume its mod related so fine by me but i would like to know if my original post transgressed some forum rule.

Smile

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

stengos wrote:
stengos wrote:

Sorry but how does this work? This is not the post i made. i only asked the question. My original post has vanished.

I assume its mod related so fine by me but i would like to know if my original post transgressed some forum rule.

Smile

Whichever mod it was obviously confused the quote button with the edit button. I've done it many times by accident. The edit button for us is where your quote button is and sometimes we bugger it up.

stengos

stengos

Commander Maxil wrote:
stengos wrote:
stengos wrote:

Smile

Whichever mod it was obviously confused the quote button with the edit button. I've done it many times by accident. The edit button for us is where your quote button is and sometimes we bugger it up.

Yokey-doke.

Thank you.

Smile

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Sorry it was my fault.

I've tried to go back on my internet history to recover your original post but it's gone.

Apologies again

215Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:13 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

That wasn't quite what I was referring to: I meant the brief moments like where Nyssa tries to get an admiring look from Davo for her new outfit, or The Master's leering over Adric in Castrovalva (also Adric's comment to Romana in s18, which draws a stern yet sympathetic rebuke!)

More subtle than what happens in fan pics now, where characters once played by Peter Cushing and Eric Roberts are shown getting it on in what Eddie from Bottom would term 'lesbian art'! Laughing

Ah okay got you. Though again if you were then I'd have no problem. I'd disagree but I don't want this to become a mini, reverse GB.

I still didn't see any subtext between the Master and Adric. IMO the character is asexual. He may have seduced Ingrid Pitt, but IMO that was just because he had to. I quite like the way that he is so obsessed with his goals he'll do anything with with anyone. Pretend he loves Ingrid Pitt, pretends he loves Chang like a son etc.

I wonder if Chibnall will have a threesome with Missy, Yaz and Jodie, for representation of course Big Grin

216Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:18 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:He may have seduced Ingrid Pitt, but IMO that was just because he had to. I quite like the way that he is so obsessed with his goals he'll do anything with with anyone. Pretend he loves Ingrid Pitt, pretends he loves Chang like a son etc.

Maybe he wasn't pretending. Maybe he was hot for her Myrka-kicking skills.

217Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:23 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Tanmann wrote:
burrunjor wrote:He may have seduced Ingrid Pitt, but IMO that was just because he had to. I quite like the way that he is so obsessed with his goals he'll do anything with with anyone. Pretend he loves Ingrid Pitt, pretends he loves Chang like a son etc.

Maybe he wasn't pretending. Maybe he was hot for her Myrka-kicking skills.

Ingrid Pitt is in the Time Monster, its Kassia that's with the Myrka. The burned Master's dick had probably dropped off by that point.

218Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:24 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:

The burned Master's dick had probably dropped off by that point.

Bit too graphic, man. Try and keep it clean.

So, do you think Time Lords are cut or uncut?

219Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:26 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Commander Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

Bit too graphic, man.

LOL no more so than when a guy on GB said that the Burned Master was dry humping Tremas and Tom. (He wasn't joking unlike me he said that to justify Missy LOL LOL LOL LOL )

I also realised that I made a mistake as he said Myrka not Melkur.

220Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th June 2019, 10:28 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

Bit too graphic, man.

LOL no more so than when a guy on GB said that the Burned Master was dry humping Tremas and Tom. (He wasn't joking he said that to justify Missy LOL LOL LOL LOL )

I also realised that I made a mistake as he said Myrka not Melkur.

LOLz I was kidding. Be as graphic as you want. Do you think the Master was circumcised then? I was thinking about it last night when I couldn't get to sleep. I reckon the Doctor was uncut myself. Even if he was cut the foreskin would grow back when he regenerated, no?

REDACTED

June

The Ark In Space: Good, but massively overrated. 3.5/5
The Deadly Assassin: Brilliant. 4.5/5
Four To Doomsday: Tedious and easily my least favorite of Season 19. 2/5
Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone:Brilliant, one of the best NuWho stories. 4/5
Meglos: Fun and underrated. 3.5/5
The Dalek Invasion Of Earth: Good, but quite overrated. 4/5
The Horns Of Nimon: Complete riot from start to finish. 4/5
Inferno: A masterpiece. 5/5
The Invasion Of Time:The first half good with part 4's excellent cliffhanger, but after that it goes downhill. 2.5/5
The Two Doctors: Really fun and enjoyable, my favorite CB story. 4/5

Last edited by Mercury on 2nd August 2019, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

222Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st August 2019, 2:23 pm

REDACTED

July

Resurrection Of The Daleks: Wasted potential. 2.5/5
Underworld: Dull and a waste of time. 1.5/5
Attack Of The Cybermen: Good and enjoyable. 3/5
Battlefield: Heavily flawed yet enjoyable. 3/5
Ghost Light: Weird and wonderful. 4/5
The Time Monster: A waste of over 2 hours. 1/5
The Seeds Of Doom: Brilliant, one of the best. 5/5
Day Of The Daleks: An underrated misunderstood classic. 4.5/5
Castrovalva: Weakest of the ROTM trilogy, but an decent start to Davison's era. 3/5

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 31st December 2019, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

223Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st August 2019, 11:16 pm

iank

iank

I really need to start watching more. Only thing I've seen in the last 3 months is Time of Angels, basically. Actually I think the only things I've seen this year are that, 11th Hour, Meglos and the Macra Terror animation (which was awesome).

224Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th August 2019, 2:35 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Attack Of The Cybermen. A seriously underrated story criticised for all the wrong reasons. The script is littered with quotable and amusing lines despite the overall dark tone without feeling shoehorned (unlike many of New Who’s attempts to create bathos), the Cybermen’s brutality is excellently conveyed as the story showcases Cyber conversion correctly without being watered down as in series 2 and the Moffat era, and the characterisation is generally very well realised with some great acting (especially from Maurice Colbourne as Lytton, who is much more well rounded here than in Resurrection Of The Daleks). Matthew Robinson’s direction is very good during the sewer sequences as well, with some atmospheric uses of lighting and low angle shots. I’ve never understood fan criticisms concerning the continuity references either- their relevance to the story is adequately explained over a few expositionary scenes. Whilst the story does have its issues (Clarke’s music is occasionally a little intrusive, the Stratton and Bates sideplot ultimately goes nowhere, some of the plotting is contrived, and the cliffhanger to episode 1 isn’t especially convincing), I don’t know why this story is so maligned in fandom. In spite of its issues, I think it’s a seriously underrated story (and I controversially enjoy it more than Earthshock, personally, even if Earthshock is objectively better structured and written plot wise).

225Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 9 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th August 2019, 10:44 pm

iank

iank

I completely agree. Attack is my favourite Colin, and top 20 stuff for me. I remember watching it as a very new young fan, having 'learned' that Colin was shit and so were his stories, and was blown away by how good it was. Saw it again last year and still loved it. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum