SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
iank
Pepsi Maxil
Tanmann
Bernard Marx
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:09 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Are there any thoroughly derided or loathed stories of the original series that you genuinely really like? For me, my top picks would have to be Attack of the Cybermen and The Happiness Patrol, but what would your picks be?

(Note: This isn’t a replica of my underrated stories thread, which mainly refers to stories that aren’t recognised enough or don’t get the recognition they deserve as opposed to stories that are downright hated)

2Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:14 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Sensorites
The Dominators
Destiny of the Daleks
Horns of Nimon
Rings of Akhaten

Those are my five, off the top of my head.

3Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:17 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ah- I forgot The Sensorites. That’s always been one I’ve appreciated.

4Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:18 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I tend to like anything with the original gang involved in. And I think that one does put them all to good use.

5Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:47 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Time and the Rani, Delta and the Bannermen and The Underwater Menace are the main ones. I also like Galaxy 4, The Celestial Toymaker, The Smugglers, Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol.

6Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 8:54 pm

iank

iank

Attack and Nimon are obvious picks, insanely derided when both are among my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 9:00 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

The Chase
The Gunfighters
The Underwater Menace
The Dominators
The Time Monster (it's not great, but I found it so bad that it's hilariously entertaining, especially compared to The Mutants)
Meglos
The Twin Dilemma
Paradise Towers
Delta and the Bannerman
Silver Nemesis

8Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 9:49 pm

iank

iank

Oh yes, The Chase. Good call. One of my top 2 favourite Hartnell stories actually.

9Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:00 pm

REDACTED

The Chase
The Celestial Toymaker
The Underwater Menace
The Abominable Snowmen (More forgotten than derided but still.)
The Wheel In Space
Planet Of The Daleks
The Android Invasion
The Masque Of Mandragora
Horns Of Nimon
Meglos
Arc Of Infinity
Attack Of The Cybermen
The Two Doctors
The Happiness Patrol

10Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:11 pm

Mott1

Mott1

The Power Of Kroll. Flawed in many ways but fun throughout. Also find The Pirate Planet brimming with ideas. And I find Four To Doomsday quite intriguing and informative, and the bit where Davo chews out Adric is a rare bit of temper from the 'passive' Doctor.

11Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:13 pm

iank

iank

Pirate Planet's generally well-regarded, isn't it?

Kroll is a good choice though.

12Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:14 pm

REDACTED

I didn't think Kroll was that bad. It's the second weakest of Season 16 but it's still an interesting tale for the most part.

13Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Space Pirates is another one. I actually find it to be a rather compelling space romp. Miles better than Seeds of Death.

Last edited by Pepsi Maxil on 3rd February 2020, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:18 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

There's loads of them with a bad reputation that I like. - But the one that really stands out for me is Time-Flight. I think it is an outright classic, and people shit on it all the time.

15Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:19 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Space Pirates is another one. I actually find it to be a compelling space romp. Miles better than Seeds of Death.

It's flawed and Episode 2 is a right slog but I've always found it to be a decent tale and far from being one of the worst stories of the series.

The Seeds Of Death is a perfect cure for insomnia.

16Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:24 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Indrid Mercury wrote:The Seeds Of Doom is a perfect cure for insomnia

I fixed that for you. Big Grin

17Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:26 pm

REDACTED

Fendelman wrote:
Indrid Mercury wrote:The Seeds Of Doom is a perfect cure for insomnia

I fixed that for you. Big Grin

I will bury you, ya dickhead! I respectfully disagree. Wink

18Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:37 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Also agree The Two Doctors gets too bad a rap. Worth it for the 2nd Doctor and Shockeye stuff alone.

19Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:46 pm

iank

iank

LOVE The Two Doctors.

20Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:49 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd like it even better if the Sixth Doctor had pushed Peri into the lake at the beginning and legged it.

21Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:50 pm

iank

iank

It always seems to be the way, honestly. I'm just getting started on Hammer and already two of my favourites are two of the apparently most derided - Scars of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula. Meanwhile Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy movies bored me to tears.

Just goes to show you can't trust "consensus". What's the expression - a foolish consistency is a hobgoblin of little minds, or something. Sounds about right. Big Grin

22Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 10:55 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

This fandom is the absolute worst when it comes to rating things. The Twin Dilemma is only bottom of every list because fans LOVE to hop on the bandwagon.

23Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 11:03 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The anti-McCoy brigade are perhaps the most loathsome of them all. There's an awful lot of fans out there that like to pretend that the McCoy era was the televisual equivalent of the holocaust.

Tossers.

24Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 3rd February 2020, 11:04 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

The Two Doctors is great. I'd add Timelash -  I don't think it's a great classic, but I do find it enjoyable to watch. The Krotons as well.

25Derided stories you like or appreciate Empty Re: Derided stories you like or appreciate 4th February 2020, 3:07 am

Ludders

Ludders

Monster of Peladon.

I like it much better than Curse. Queen Thalira is a better character than the rather wet King Peladon, and Sarah is much better than the equally wet Jo Grant.
Strangely enough the 6 episodes seem pass far quicker than the 4 episode Curse. Mainly because the characters are more convincing. I do like Arcturus though. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum