Genkimonk
Defeatment
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 40]

626Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 9:16 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:Translation: Whittaker sucks.

NOOOOOOO

Whittaker is the bestest Doctor ever. According to this article.

5 Reasons Jodie Whittaker Is Already A Brilliant Doctor Who

Look at how the self loathing fanboy who wrote this article introduces himself.

Jef Rouner is a contributing writer who covers politics, pop culture, social justice, video games, and online behavior. He is often a professional annoyance to the ignorant and hurtful.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Of course again the fact that he thinks Jodie is breaking a glass ceiling shows how ignorant he is of female heroes, but you all know that. Why is it that all these soy boys never watch female heroes despite claiming that they really care about representation?

627Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 9:21 am

iank

iank

I think using "he" was a big mistake there. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

628Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 10:05 am

Zarius

Zarius

Someone who wasn't thrilled with the music choices for the teaser trailer altered the track for this edit

629Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 12:23 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

burrunjor wrote:
Whittaker is the bestest Doctor ever. According to this article.

5 Reasons Jodie Whittaker Is Already A Brilliant Doctor Who

‘Her Reaction to Cosplayers is Adorable’
‘She Wants to be a Role Model for Boys’
‘She Built Her Own Prop Bomb to Practice Technobabble’

WTF? How is any of this relevant as to whether or not she’ll make a good Doctor in the actual show? LOL LOL  

Also: 'To say that Whittaker’s casting has stirred emotions would be an understatement. I’ve been blocking sexist fans in Facebook groups for months. As a longtime advocate for the gender swap and a fan of Chibnall’s work on the show, everything I’ve seen so far looks amazing.'

Bragging about blocking people opposed to a female Doctor. What a fucking saddo.

630Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 7:27 pm

sanchez ll

I once knew a self loathing fanboy...

....who secretly LIKED himself...but LOATHED the fact that he secretly LIKED himself....

tho' he rather liked the fact that he loathed his secretly liking himself despite being a self loathing fanboy....!!

but in truth he secretly  loathed, his liking,the fact he loathed his secretly liking himself despite being a self loathing fanboy !

all something of a paradox really...and how he loathed the fact he liked paradoxes...!

but secretly....

sounds like a forthcoming Chibbers script...probably making about as much sense

631Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 10:11 pm

iank

iank

lol Because having a problem with an iconic male hero being castrated for zero reason other than to pander to man-haters is sexist. But they're not sexist. Honest.
What a fucking half-witted little cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

632Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 12th September 2018, 10:53 pm

Mott1

Mott1

If this Jef Reamer or whatever he's called is having to block a barrage of 'sexists' perhaps he should start wondering why it's necessary.

Only in this day and age can someone be labelled a 'success' after one (shit) scene and one (shit) trailer.

633Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 13th September 2018, 10:12 am

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

How does one be a fan of Chibnall's work on the show, doth such a creature exist in the physical world?

634Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 13th September 2018, 10:57 am

Zarius

Zarius

635Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 13th September 2018, 12:01 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Well-written historicals are great.
Considering the current talent involved in Doctor Who, I'm going to take a real gamble and assume these 'historicals' are going to be pseudo-history to supplement a political agenda. A poor move commercially, likewise.

636Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 13th September 2018, 6:44 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

This guy nails it:

The dark times are coming...

637Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 3:24 am

tardis

tardis

Re: that digital spy article (didn’t read it, looks like click bait)

If gender doesn’t matter why does he keep bringing it up???

Classic Who writers were often instructed to just “Write the Doctor, let the actor do the work”.

If the writers for Series 11 followed this and “the Doctor could have always been female” the title of the article is completely invalid.

638Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 5:44 am

shan164

I guess the classic example of a role written that was potentially written as generic male but could also be played by a woman was Ripley from Alien and we all know how well that turned out.

Obviously, for reasons I don't have to go into, this is different but in a general sense, to varying degrees for each story, this might work to some degree at least. I guess we'll all see in due course.

639Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 9:44 am

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I don't have a huge problem with a gender swap so long as it doesn't alter the source material, nor substantially effect our idea of the character; and that it actually brings something to the table under a competent writer. Sometimes it can add colour as a variant interpretation of a character, sometimes a male-dominated cast can be made more interesting with a female personality.

The Hannibal TV series handled it well. Alan Bloom was a very minor character in the Red Dragon book - in the show they were gender swapped (to Alana) and made a more substantial character: really she is an entirely new character and the name is a reference more than anything else.
Freddie Lounds was a fairly notable character in the Red Dragon book alone - the character was gender-swapped into a more prevalent and honestly more interesting character in the show.

These were good decisions, if anything. Gender-swapping Hannibal, or likewise Will Graham or Clarice Starling, would have been disastrous: altering their character to the point of unfamiliarity.

On the contrary: for the Doctor, it is everything wrong with the concept made manifest.

640Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 10:55 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

shan164 wrote:I guess the classic example of a role written that was potentially written as generic male but could also be played by a woman was Ripley from Alien and we all know how well that turned out.

Obviously, for reasons I don't have to go into, this is different but in a general sense, to varying degrees for each story, this might work to some degree at least. I guess we'll all see in due course.

I've never liked the Ripley defense. Men and women are different. You have to take that into account to some extent. No one is saying that you can't have men and women occupy the same types of roles, but there has to be a bit of a difference in the approach.

Look at Xena and Hercules. Both the same type of hero, tall, dark, sexy, muscle bound hero in ancient Greece, who fights literally the same villains (Ares, Callisto, Cesar.) Meets the same supporting cast like Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi,  but they are two completely different shows. Ditto Buffy and Angel.

Sometimes gender won't matter at all in a character its true, but that's only when the character is so minor, or doesn't really have a personality. In the first Alien film Ripley or indeed any of the others didn't really have personalities. Their backstories weren't fleshed out, their dialogue was all just about surviving a tense situation. The first Alien film is all about the horrible situation the characters are in. It doesn't need fleshed out characters, so it doesn't have them. They are all basically stock characters. The gun toting action guy who gets killed fighting, the scaredy character, the final survivor etc.

In the sequels however where they actually flesh Ripley's character out, do you really think they could flip Ripley's gender and it wouldn't make a difference? Its funny how nobody mentions the sequels in regards to Ripley, even though she's far more heroic in them! She more or less just runs away from a drone in Alien and shoots it when its not looking, but in Aliens she beats the shit out of the Queen Alien.

The second Aliens movie is all about a war between two mothers, Ripley protecting Newt, and the Alien Queen protecting its eggs. You wouldn't have that same dynamic if Ripley were a guy. Also other scenes like where Ripley sleeps in the same bed as a little girl she just met, would probably seem a bit weird if she were a dude.

In Alien 3 meanwhile a large part of the dynamic is that Ripley is the only woman on a planet full of men. It obviously wouldn't be the same if she were a guy.

Gender is important to a characters personal history and how the audience may identify with them. SJWs however (not saying you) are such irrational, lazy morons that they just see it as "YOU'RE SAYING MEN AND WOMEN AREN'T IDENTICAL THAT MEANS YOU MUST THINK THAT WOMEN ARE LESSER". And spineless idiots like Mofftwat pander to them.

I wonder if Chibnall and Moffat and all these other fandom incrowd sellouts like Gary Russell will one day realize this is how pathetic they look.

641Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 11:55 am

shan164

Never said it was a defence, just an observation about the generic scripting of a character that's adaptable to both male and female actors - and only referring to Alien. Hung a big lampshade on what I was going for, too.

As for Alien 3, given the dozens of scripting ideas in pre-production, there were versions with a male lead character including possibly Ripley and Newt returning to Earth and only Hicks being ejected to Fury 161. That, along with planets made of wood and Aliens made of glass ... well, the making of Alien 3 generally was a weird time for everyone involved.

643Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 14th September 2018, 11:20 pm

shan164

Well, looking at the latest Doctor's costume yet again, I can accept a lot about this latest incarnation of the show but I still just can't help but feel that pants that stop short of the socks and shoes are a bridge too far.

644Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 12:09 am

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

shan164 wrote:Well, looking at the latest Doctor's costume yet again, I can accept a lot about this latest incarnation of the show but I still just can't help but feel that pants that stop short of the socks and shoes are a bridge too far.

If they got rid of those stupid rainbows on her coat and shirt, and made it so that her trousers actually came all the way down to her boots then I reckon it would have been a fairly decent costume.

Hell, even the rather bland outfit that Jodie wore during the reveal trailer would have been way better than what we have currently.

645Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 12:24 am

shan164

DeadManRising wrote:
shan164 wrote:Well, looking at the latest Doctor's costume yet again, I can accept a lot about this latest incarnation of the show but I still just can't help but feel that pants that stop short of the socks and shoes are a bridge too far.

If they got rid of those stupid rainbows on her coat and shirt, and made it so that her trousers actually came all the way down to her boots then I reckon it would have been a fairly decent costume.

Hell, even the rather bland outfit that Jodie wore during the reveal trailer would have been way better than what we have currently.

I thought this would have been quite good. Obvious reasons as to why not.

Series 11 - Page 26 TELEMMGLPICT000136797394_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqihVibxPbOwKDCDIL8LViR49Ye_mpNzHjPAKjb4fa9lk

646Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 2:55 am

shan164

Well, according to this:

http://antineutrino.net/apps/dw.html

I have seen about 31% of Classic Doctor Who + TV Movie (Time 37% of total) but when you factor in New, that jumps to 74% of all Doctor Who (Time 65% of total).

Only Classic Doctor I've seen all of is Peter Davison (fallen just short on Tom Baker), seen all the New stuff so far.

647Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 5:40 am

tardis

tardis

They’re doing it by stories rather than episodes, which is stupid because some of the stories in Classic Who were nearly an entire season of NuWho(ie War Games is 10 episodes). Note: I know time-wise is shorter since episodes were only 25 minutest, but air-date/season wise, you’re still looking at 10 weeks.

648Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 10:35 am

shan164

There was a few things I left out as a result as I know I've mostly seen them but not quite completely. For some reason, I'm yet to see the very end of The Time Monster, I think (like the last part of the last episode) and I've almost seen all of Trial of a Time Lord but I think not quite all of the last two episodes (just parts of it). Ditto quite a few things from that era. I think the time factor would be covered though with the percentage of total footage seen sort of thing, right?

649Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 11:03 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I've seen 84% of Doctor Who. There's still 16% left of it for me to explore!

650Series 11 - Page 26 Empty Re: Series 11 15th September 2018, 3:41 pm

Chibnall's Cheerleader

With so much talk here about all the changes to the show, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the most amazing regeneration of all: Chris's new barnet.

Series 11 - Page 26 Chibna12

Some people have suggested it's a toupee or a transplant but I guess they didn't  see it drinking a saucer of milk on location, which it loved!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum