You are not connected. Please login or register

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor?

+12
Mott1
Bernard Marx
Rob Filth
Boofer
Ludders
iank
burrunjor
The Brigade Leader
Fendelman
REDACTED
Tanmann
Pepsi Maxil
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor?

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap31%If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 31% [ 5 ]
If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap50%If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 50% [ 8 ]
If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Ludders

Ludders

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Did you type "Doctor Who Crappiest Title Sequence Ever" into Google Images in order to get that signature pic?

Doctor Who Crappiest Title Sequence Ever

Apparently not.

Boofer

Boofer

Ludders wrote:

Doctor Who Crappiest Title Sequence Ever

Apparently not.

LOL

Ludders

Ludders

Chibnall as showrunner is ultimately responsible. If Whitaker is as shit as everyone says, then she's to blame for being a shit actress, but Chibnall is responsible for casting her, and writing and/or commissioning shit scripts. Based on what I've seen of his earlier NuPoo efforts, he's a terrible writer.
Whatever the opinions of Whitaker's performance; any actor is going to struggle to make a string of turds shine.

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

No.

Both of them should not only go but be locked in jail also.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Frankly, no. Her performance evokes nothing remotely resembling the professorial and intellectual aspects of the original character (it’s the antithesis more than anything else), and I fail to see how she could be perceived otherwise.

She constantly seems to be out of breath whilst constantly manic and gurning- no evocation of an intelligent alien being here whatsoever so much as an unbearable primary school teacher, and misses the mark of the character to an even greater degree than Eccleston and Tennant in terms of characterisation. If she has any integrity, I’d be utterly embarrassed by what I’d been doing in the role if I were her.

I wouldn’t use her as a scapegoat by any stretch (Chibnall is indeed the biggest twat out of all of them), but she is still fucking shite in the role.

And what I saw of Broadchurch looked rubbish too. Smile

Mott1

Mott1

Surprised there's 3 votes for yes!

With the right scriptwriter, director and a more grown-up showrunner she might have been ok as Romana II in her own spin-off, but I still think a lead character needs more dynamism and gravitas than what I've seen from her to date.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Boofer wrote:Shut up, Maxil.

What?!?

It's what everyone else is thinking.

You're just upset because someone loves the shit out of your least favourite era.

Weep it up, Hinchcliffe fanboy.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:Surprised there's 3 votes for yes!

With the right scriptwriter, director and a more grown-up showrunner she might have been ok as Romana II in her own spin-off, but I still think a lead character needs more dynamism and gravitas than what I've seen from her to date.

I would never cast her even as Romana.

I'm not saying that there are no roles she can play. I've not seen her in anything else, but she doesn't seem like a genre actress to me, or at the very least, one that could do something like DW.

Maybe if it was some gritty, serious sci fi thing she'd take it seriously, but Doctor Who needs a little bit of fun and to be taken seriously because its so larger than life.

Now granted New Who has always struggled with the fun part and made it too silly, but Jodie it seems does just regard the role as a comedy part to be played lightly, hence the following.

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 P06pmtsy

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 1101_28827

She pulls these silly faces because she thinks it will be amusing for the kiddies.

If you were to cast her as any other famous genre role, The Evil Queen from Once Upon A Time, Xena, Callisto, Glory from Buffy, the Charmed Ones etc, she'd fuck those roles up just as much.

Having said that I do agree that Chinballs should get more of the blame, though actually I think Mofftwat should get the majority.

It angers me when Bowlestrek calls Mofftwat a great man. FFS if it wasn't for that arrogant, cowardly, status obsessed self loathing ballbag we wouldn't be in this situation. He is entirely to blame for the destruction of DW.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Tanmann wrote:
burrunjor wrote:I'm surprised to see Tanman say that he would keep her for her fans? Not having a go at anyone here. I'm just amazed that anyone would want to give them any kind of consideration after their recent treatment of Bowlestrek. Check out my twitter feed to see some of their lovely responses about him.

I know they're not all like that, but its fair to say that Jodie's fans are the most toxic. They deserve fuck all.

Well I was thinking mainly of that girl on Children in Need night who got to meet Jodie and was happy as a bean to.

I don't think she's been part of the toxic crowd, and there must be other young fans like her.

I wouldn't be suckered by that.

To start with that was all staged, and designed to throw off critics of Jodie. Its like that bit in South Park where the company uses the boys as an advert with the tagline "support us or you hate children. You don't hate children do you?"

That's all that went through my head when I saw that.

Second of all I really doubt, unless you buy into BeKind's posts LOL, that Jodie is the only hero that girl could look up too.

There are hundreds of female heroes out there for her to watch. Just because a couple of girls might have looked up to her, doesn't mean we should keep a crap actress in the part.

Again I always say, no one cared about little boys in that girls position who watched the show and who had their hero taken away from them.

A Romana spin off meanwhile would have made both boys and little girls happy.

Whilst not all of Jodie's fans are toxic, overall the majority of them are nasty bullies from Peter D Nolan, to Mr Tardis, to Ellen Sandifier.

Whilst unlike them I'd never be so petty as to taylor the show to deliberately upset fans I dislike, ultimately I wouldn't show them any concessions. They've been pandered too enough.

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:
burrunjor wrote:I'm surprised to see Tanman say that he would keep her for her fans? Not having a go at anyone here. I'm just amazed that anyone would want to give them any kind of consideration after their recent treatment of Bowlestrek. Check out my twitter feed to see some of their lovely responses about him.

I know they're not all like that, but its fair to say that Jodie's fans are the most toxic. They deserve fuck all.

Well I was thinking mainly of that girl on Children in Need night who got to meet Jodie and was happy as a bean to.

I don't think she's been part of the toxic crowd, and there must be other young fans like her.

Every change of Doctor will upset that Doctor's fans. It goes without saying.

However, if the viewing figures for an era of the show have shit the bed then you have to ask what is the point of continuing that incarnation of that Doctor. The BBC has limited budgets and it has to spread them as widely and effectively as it can so to maximise public satisfaction. Obsessing over one small share of an ever dwindling audience is unsustainable in my view. I was disappointed when Davison left but nobody really gave a toss. I was even more pissed off when McCoy was appointed but there you go.

As for the little girl in 2019s CIN: she was a cute kid but the thing felt partially scripted to me as if she was beng prompted to say things which were then twisted in the editing process. If it raised money for CIN, and maybe that girl in particular, then great. However, i also think it was manipulated to promote the show in a really tacky way.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Her arse tastes so good, lads!

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:

If you replaced Chibnall as showrunner would you keep Jodie as The Doctor? - Page 2 P06pmtsy

I bet that's the face she pulls when she's getting buttfucked. Awesome.

iank

iank

I agree she'd be terrible as Romana too, esp the way she performs it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Ludders

Ludders

burrunjor wrote:To start with that was all staged.

I wouldn't be suckered by that, either.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Although Chibnall should take the lion's share of the blame, I certainly wouldn't want Whittaker anywhere near the show.  She seems pleasant enough, but a very mediocre actress and simply not good enough to carry the role. Dreadfully miscast.
in fact, I'd remove everybody associated with the last two series.

JJ Chambers

JJ Chambers

I wouldn't give the Chibnall era the dignity of so much as an acknowledgement of canonicity. If I had my way, the first episode of my stewardship would begin with a brief recap of the ending of Twice Upon a Time, only with a far more preferable actor digitally inserted where Whittaker once stood. And then off we go. Back to normal.

Really though, in an absolutely perfect world, even the crass, thinly veiled propagandist era of Capaldi would be deleted. Sadly I've had to resign myself to the fact that even that, as relatively unpopular as it was with mainstream audiences, would have a few too many fans for it to be feasible.

Infinitic

Infinitic

Yes. She deserves one good season, with decent scripts, she's freaking first female Doctor.

Fendelman

Fendelman

No New Who is canon. If I had my way, they would start with McGann, have him do a few of his best Big Finish stories on video. Then, have him regenerate into a new different 9th Doctor. - Completely ignore all of New Who, start over with something that more resembles the classic series.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Tanmann wrote:I'd probably keep her around for the sake of the fans she has, and to see if different scripts and different approach might yield a stronger performance from her. At the very least I'd want it to not be the case that she becomes the fall figure for Chibnall's worst.

Maybe just for the one season though. Eventually I'd want to establish a new broom.

burrunjor wrote:
I'm surprised to see Tanman say that he would keep her for her fans? Not having a go at anyone here. I'm just amazed that anyone would want to give them any kind of consideration after their recent treatment of Bowlestrek. Check out my twitter feed to see some of their lovely responses about him.

It just occurred to me that that was my position before The Timeless Children retcon happened.

In some ways it's given me the realization that I could've lived with Series 11 if it had been the new show's last season before it was rested.

Not out of any great love or fondness for it, but simply because I can't bring myself to feel especially spiteful toward it, and besides, I don't think it'd be impossible to reboot the show later, from that cut-off point.

But Series 12 is one I'd definitely rather want to erase.

But since that's not an option, I would, if I was in charge, simply have to wipe away all trace of the Chibnall era like it was a bad dream, which means Jodie would have to go.

Ideally what I'd do is decide the show was going to take a few gap years, and come back as a complete reboot. No regeneration, just a new male Doctor from the start.

And a bit like Eccleston's first season hinted at a Time War that destroyed Gallifrey that sounded like it was based on the EDAs, before revealing the details were different and thus the books were being subtly decanonized, and treated as a left turn that was being diregarded....

I'd probably do something similar to slowly decanonize the Chibnall era, as though a completely different era prior had taken place.

Infinitic

Infinitic

Tanmann wrote:
I'd probably do something similar to slowly decanonize the Chibnall era, as though a completely different era prior had taken place.

I dare to say it'll happen in the future, for 99,99% Wink

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Infinitic wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

I dare to say it'll happen in the future, for 99,99% Wink

Uhuh. I think it's the only way to any future the show can have.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum