Boofer
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 32]

26Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:19 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Chris Chibnall is co-writing Praxeus also

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/doctor-who-praxeus-synopsis-guest-cast-character-names

Synopsis

What connects a missing astronaut in the Indian Ocean, birds behaving strangely in Peru and a US naval officer who washes up on a Madagascan beach? Team TARDIS investigate.

27Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:31 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Bernard Marx wrote:I can’t say I agree entirely there. As someone who was introduced to the series via NuWho and fell in love with it via the show’s central premise, my stance has certainly changed over time due to my obtaining a more critical perspective. Hell, it did so at a much younger age than I currently am, and I was capable of recognising NuWho for what it was by 2012. As a result, even the stuff I really enjoyed at the time and got me into the series (the Smith era) has been gradually dwindling in my estimations over time, to the point where I am less an advocate for it now than I was when I first joined, and why I am starting to actively dislike large portions of it. I think it’s perfectly possible for people to change their minds upon discussing such eras objectively, regardless of whatever bias they may have- it won’t always happen, but for those open minded enough, it’s certainly a possibility. I’ve also come away disliking films I initially really liked after listening to arguments elsewhere arguing for their lack of quality (The Force Awakens being a prime example).

Besides, there’s also the case of having a soft spot for a certain era, whilst also recognising it for potentially being utter shit. I can enjoy a story rather a lot whilst still recognising it to be rubbish (The Keys of Marinus, Creature from the Pit, Silver Nemesis, etc). Concerning the JNT stories- after discussing them with you on this forum, and recognising the inherent narrative failures of particular stories (mainly Warriors and Resurrection), my opinion of them has indeed lessened, and these sort of discussions can provide clarity to one’s perspective that someone may not have considered before. Of course, this doesn’t mean that upmost flexibility is a good idea- discourse and discussion should be overt on both sides of the argument- but I think it’s possible for certain fans to be open to listening to different perspectives, regardless of their own prior stance. It’s easier to speak to those who agree, yes, but not impossible for one to be open to new perspectives.

Yes I suppose that can happen.

I suppose New Who was often a tease to something wider and greater. That can spark a fascination at anything to do with its particular universe. But then in later years we can become more discerning about which bits of the show lived up to it or didn't.

I think for you the realization was that a lot of New Who's tease and intrigue was borrowed from Classic and handled with a lot more taste and class there. Not to mention sincerity. It's easy to go along with New Who in younger years when it's trying to win you over. In later years you kind of see that it never really had any integrity and would say any nonsense to get the masses on side with it, and was only ever telling the mass audience what it wanted to hear. And that's the defining problem which really reached its culmination in the woke era, to the point where even New Who fans like Alteori noticed.

28Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:39 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I agree we need a pact, if an uneasy one, between those who think Fathead and Tencunt were the pinnacle of the show - even though some of them probably never saw a single bloody episode filmed before 2005 - and ourselves, before we raise a petition to get the show's production closed down.

Then we can march on Number 10 to hand it over to Cummings, all dressed as a character or monster RTD, Pubehead and Potatoface have fucked up. Burronjor can be Cyberbrig, if he wants!

29Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:47 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Team TARDIS

Urgh.

30Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:53 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Tanmann wrote:I've been denouncing and poking holes in the JNT stories for years, but at the end of the day, other fans who liked them are still going to do so and be resistant to being swayed.

Yeah, all I do now when you go on one of your rants about the 80s is roll my eyes and have a little chuckle to myself.

Seems pointless recovering old ground. Everyone knows where you stand on the JNT era i.e. steel-capped shoe, grinding your freshly ejaculated phlegm into the pavement like it's a mini-myrka.

31Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 6:55 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Pepsi Maxil wrote:

Team TARDIS

Urgh.

The 'fam'.

If it survives another 3 or 4 years they'll be calling each other 'the super peng space fam squad'

32Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 8:23 pm

iank

iank

Boofer wrote:
Tanmann wrote:I've been denouncing and poking holes in the JNT stories for years, but at the end of the day, other fans who liked them are still going to do so and be resistant to being swayed.

Yeah, all I do now when you go on one of your rants about the 80s is roll my eyes and have a little chuckle to myself.

Seems pointless recovering old ground. Everyone knows where you stand on the JNT era i.e. steel-capped shoe, grinding your freshly ejaculated phlegm into the pavement like it's a mini-myrka.  

LOL  Indeed. I mean, I've thought Warriors and Resurrection were shit for years. So? There's shit in the 60s and the 70s too. Not likely to impact any reasonable, sane person's view of the decade as a whole.
I love the narcissism inherent in the comment, that other people are being unreasonable in not immediately leaping on the JNT-bashing bandwagon because he says so. Big Grin LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

33Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 8:41 pm

REDACTED

Okay. I have a disturbing feeling this is gonna turn into another ''Everyone argues over JNT'' thread so can we curb it please?

34Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:00 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Do you think sticking a skittle in my urethra would be a good idea?

EDIT: The answer is definitely no.

35Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:07 pm

iank

iank

Indrid Mercury wrote:Okay. I have a disturbing feeling this is gonna turn into another ''Everyone argues over JNT'' thread so can we curb it please?

We could if a certain someone who'll remain nameless would stop bringing it up in every fucking thread. Big Grin

36Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:15 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Victoria Derbyshire Show to come off air as part of BBC cuts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51214425

37Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:19 pm

REDACTED

iank wrote:We could if a certain someone who'll remain nameless would stop bringing it up in every fucking thread. Big Grin

38Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:21 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Exactly. I'm getting a little tired of people bringing up the same person or thing ad nauseam on every single bloody thread. It's just irritating.

Man, I love Elisabeth Shue.

39Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:21 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

iank wrote:LOL  Indeed. I mean, I've thought Warriors and Resurrection were shit for years. So? There's shit in the 60s and the 70s too. Not likely to impact any reasonable, sane person's view of the decade as a whole.

The difference is simple.

Unlike Warriors or Twin Dilemma, the worst stuff of the 60's/70's wasn't a case of the show suddenly deciding to pick the most ridiculous hill to die on and expecting the zealots of the fanbase to take care of the dissent.

I love the narcissism inherent in the comment, that other people are being unreasonable in not immediately leaping on the JNT-bashing bandwagon because he says so

You do realize I was pointing out that New Who fans *also* have their reasons for not jumping on your RTD-bashing bandwagon, don't you?

40Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:29 pm

iank

iank

Tanmann wrote:
iank wrote:LOL  Indeed. I mean, I've thought Warriors and Resurrection were shit for years. So? There's shit in the 60s and the 70s too. Not likely to impact any reasonable, sane person's view of the decade as a whole.

The difference is simple.

Unlike Warriors or Twin Dilemma, the worst stuff of the 60's/70's wasn't a case of the show suddenly deciding to pick the most ridiculous hill to die on and expecting the zealots of the fanbase to take care of the dissent.

?

What the fuck are you even talking about now? You're arguing complete and total nonsense. Complete gibberish that has nothing to do with anything. LOL

41Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:45 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Warriors did very little damage to the series. Grade probably never even saw it at the time and I doubt anyone at the BBC was thinking of that story specifically when they decided to put the show on hiatus. It was a bad story, not a nail in a mythical coffin. The show was very quick to recover from it.

42Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:54 pm

iank

iank

The Warriors obsession is genuinely deranged. Yeah, it's a shit story, poorly made and poorly thought through. And?
It's just more of the 80s-bashers obsession with blaming the program (and its producer) for a decision made by soulless executive bean-counters. It's complete fairyland stuff, but he's brainwashed himself into believing this ludicrous narrative he's invented and then throws toys out of the pram when others point out how absurd and irrelevant it is.

43Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:57 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Warriors did very little damage to the series. Grade probably never even saw it at the time and I doubt anyone at the BBC was thinking of that story specifically  when they decided to put the show on hiatus. It was a bad story, not a nail in a mythical coffin. The show was very quick to recover from it.

Maybe, but I do think it was a symptom of a wider problem that Doctor Who wasn't being made with the mainstream audience in mind anymore.

in the 60's and 70's the show wasn't especially made for a particular fanbase. It was aimed at a broad church and the fact it gained the devoted fan following it did was just a nice bonus.

This usually caused creative decisions to err on the side of sensible.

Warriors was just one of several examples of what happens when the fans become seen as the primary audience and the makers just assume their fanbase will remain zealously loyal, and make their more sceptical fellow fans toe the line, and that will be enough.

It probably wasn't Warriors that influenced Grade to hate the show, but I think he saw it as more being made for a fandom he was sniffy of, than a mainstream viewership. And that was incentive enough for him to decide enough was enough.

44Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 9:59 pm

iank

iank

More fantasy. You can never accept the reality that Who was one of a number of shows axed purely to save money for other things and because of the desire to have a "new era" at the BBC. Everything else was invention after the fact.

45Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

iank wrote:More fantasy. You can never accept the reality that Who was one of a number of shows axed purely to save money for other things and because of the desire to have a "new era" at the BBC. Everything else was invention after the fact.

I did say "incentive enough". I'm well aware there were other incentives for Grade to act as he did.

Grade isn't actually that much of an issue to me. As far as I'm concerned even before he got involved the damage was already done.

46Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:02 pm

Boofer

Boofer

I seem to remember AIs for Warriors of the Deep being pretty much in line with other stories of the time, if not a little bit better.

It appears it didn't have as much of a negative impact as some believe on the show.

Series 12 - Page 2 Screen12

47Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:07 pm

iank

iank

I just cannot comprehend the obsession with it. No one's saying it's a good story. As with Resurrection, it's a ham-fisted attempt to replicate the success of Earthshock that fails completely (the latter only getting away with it for most fans because it's Daleks and it's better made).
It's the notion that it's some kind of turning point or evil political statement that truly boggles me. No, it's just a shit script. The only turning point in 80s Who was the hiatus, which was itself solely caused by bean-counting and a lack of comprehension about the show's popularity and the love its fans had for it by those running the BBC.

48Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:11 pm

stengos

stengos

Is this the right moment for me to add that i actually quite like Warriors? And Resurrection? No? Okay. I'll keep quiet then. ...

... pardon me.

49Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:12 pm

iank

iank

LOL

You cult member, you. Big Grin

50Series 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Series 12 22nd January 2020, 10:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:I just cannot comprehend the obsession with it. No one's saying it's a good story. As with Resurrection, it's a ham-fisted attempt to replicate the success of Earthshock that fails completely (the latter only getting away with it for most fans because it's Daleks and it's better made).
It's the notion that it's some kind of turning point or evil political statement that truly boggles me. No, it's just a shit script. The only turning point in 80s Who was the hiatus, which was itself solely caused by bean-counting and a lack of comprehension about the show's popularity and the love its fans had for it by those running the BBC.

The person obsessively commenting on your YT videos isn't me. I swear Big Grin

Last edited by Pepsi Maxil on 22nd January 2020, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 32]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum