iank
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Comic Books Empty Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 8:29 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Do any of you still read comics?

Marvel? DC? Image? Dark Horse? Boom? Daily Newspaper Strips?

...Beanos?

For me, I'm collecting Superman and Batman books at a feverish rate, and have been doing so since the Rebirth initative began in 2016. So good to see Supes married to Lois and raising a kid again after that New 52 blunder.

Batman is a bit divisive, Tom King (Vision) is finding his feet but it's been a bit uneven...still, he's restored Bruce and Selina's love connection and is taking steps to give Bane some menace again

On Marvel's end, I really only read Gwenpoole on occasion, and collect Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows and the Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper strip, both of which are better than the main book, and both feature him married to MJ, RYV has him raising a kid as well. It's not mainline canon unfortunatly so it's not doing well in the charts even if it's at sustainable numbers.

2Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:02 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I don't have a good track record with them. I have Watchmen, the first 2 Kick Ass books and the Hit-Girl spin-off. I bought the first volume of The X-Files season 10 and never got around to getting any others, I got the first volume of the Amazing Spider-Man series, I think that's part of the Marvel NOW line. It's set after the Superior Spider-Man books where Peter Parker was "dead" and Doctor Octopus took control of his body. I liked that too and wanted to check out the Spider-Gwen and Silk books but never got around to that.

The last comic I bought was the first volume of Boom's Power Rangers series. It's the Mighty Morphin characters set in modern day and does a lot of the crazy stuff the show could never do due to budget and technology limits. I really enjoyed that, I think volume 2 comes out in April and I won't miss that one. That should include the issue that introduced an all new evil 7th ranger.

Comic Books The-wh10

I'm currently a few issues into iZombie and The Boys. They're not bad but I prefer the iZombie show. I did find a website that has a wide range of comics to read so I have that option to catch up. They even have the most recent Alien vs Predator and Prometheus comic series that all crossover.

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

3Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:08 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Awesome, Boom's Power Rangers is a great read, and I'm hoping for a Drakkon action figure before long. I've also been picking up Justice Leuge/Power Rangers, some nice nods to PR lore in there, like Lord Zedd using a growth grenade to get out of Brainiac's bottled cities!

I've heard that Silk is being cancelled soon sadly, a shame too because it was a very pacy, fun book from what I did read of it, the writers really salvaged Cindy's character after a (IMO) disastrous introduction

4Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:19 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Yeah, Power Rangers was a really fun read, I'm looking forward to continuing it. I wasn't as keen on the little Bulk and Skull comic they included at the end by different writers and artists, but it was still harmless.

I'm still not sure about the new movie. On the one hand, every trailer has had some cool moments (even if it doesn't scream Power Rangers) and the new suit designs are growing on me, they pretty good in motion. On the other hand, the Goldar and Zord designs are awful and the megazord toys are unforgivable. I don't know if you've seen the toys or not.

I also have to remember to read some of the new Star Wars comics too, I read some of the first issue of the Poe solo series and I know there was a Darth Maul mini series that wrapped up part of his arc after the Clone Wars was cancelled.

5Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:21 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I've seen the movie Megazord and I agree with you...it's like something out of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

6Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:31 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

And when kids who want a toy that actually transforms the parents have to buy every zord individually or shell out $140-150 for all 5 that come in the same box. That's bad enough without them all being hollow plastic shells with very little paint detail. The original 90s toy and the smaller 2010 version both put it to shame.

7Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 9:36 pm

Zarius

Zarius

That Pink zord is particularly half-arsed...barely a dash of pink on it

8Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd February 2017, 11:15 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I have read The Killing Joke but that's it really. It's something I have been menaing to get into but so many other things on at the moment. Smile

9Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 24th February 2017, 11:09 am

Zarius

Zarius

Did you see the Killing Joke movie?

10Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 24th February 2017, 12:19 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Zarius wrote:Did you see the Killing Joke movie?

No, but thanks for reminding me. I have just bought a copy. Just had a look at some reviews, it seems to have had a mixed reception.

11Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 24th February 2017, 1:40 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Yeah the Babera Gordon stuff is....yeah, I won't spoil it, but that's a big part of why it's been getting mixed reviews.

Thank god Lego Batman did'nt go down the same path is all I can say

12Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 25th February 2017, 10:09 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

It turned up much quicker than I expected. The first 30 mins were absolutely pointless but after that, it was a pretty faithful retelling. Didn't do anything the comic didn't and the end had less effect somehow. It was alright.

13Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 25th February 2017, 11:58 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:Yeah the Babera Gordon stuff is....yeah, I won't spoil it, but that's a big part of why it's been getting mixed reviews.

Thank god Lego Batman did'nt go down the same path is all I can say

Funny thing, I set up a petition to have Mark Hamill play the Joker in an animated Killing Joke way back in 2012. He said at that point that he would only play the Joker again if they made the Killing Joke and encouraged his fans to campaign for an adaptation. I then set up a facebook page "Petition for Mark Hamill to play the Joker in Animated Killing Joke." Hamill himself then tweeted about the facebook page and it got a lot of support.

Of course don't get me wrong I am not saying that's why they made it LOL. The adaptation came like 4 years later, but still it was great having Hamill tweet about it. Huge fan of Mark Hamill. He's in my top 10 actors for sure. Not to plug myself but I recently wrote an article about his career for my blog.

Here check it out if you have the time https://t.co/aXFwGL0fiS

As for what I thought about the Animated Killing Joke, I agree the first 30 mins were pointless. It wasn't bad (though I agree the Batgirl, Batman romance felt odd) but it felt like a totally different film. Still the bits that were based on the book were excellent and Hamill was absolutely superb as always. Only other bit I disliked was when Batman threw the midget on the spike. WTF, by the book Batman?

14Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 28th February 2017, 2:58 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Interview with Chip Zrdarsky about Spectacular Spider-Man, who confirms the FCBD story sees Peter interacting with Mary Jane.

He also says there will loads more surprise guests in the series that will, depending on their opinion of him, help or hinder the web-head...maintaining that classic style of Spidey being misunderstood.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/59755/spider-man-goes-spectacular/

15Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 8th March 2017, 8:42 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Reading the "Superman Reborn" event and I'm glad to see the return of Mr. Myxzypltk, who has'nt been seen since the launch of the New 52 era.

16Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 11th March 2017, 9:55 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Pat Mills wrote:
Also, hardcore fans were regarded with some concern by the publishers IPC, and with very good reason. Put simply, such fans were often like those eccentric characters out of The Big Bang Theory. They would invariably have a purist and elitist attitude to comics and put the interests of fans ahead of mainstream readers, whom they seemed to despise. Sales could crash as a result. I was concerned about this very real danger, but finally decided it was better to have a fan who was passionate about comics, than some of the indifferent individuals who were also applying for the job. For instance, a senior IPC editor’s son who told me he didn’t read or watch science fiction, but he would do, if he got the job.

https://www.millsverse.com/10-of-the-best-celebrating-some-of-2000ads-unsung-heroes/

17Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 11th March 2017, 10:10 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Comic Books STL040699

18Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 10:49 am

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Marvel will be coming out with another Darth Vader series that will be part of the canon EU. It'll be set straight after Revenge of the Sith and show how he made his red lightsaber, his relationship with Palpatine and how he got his frightening reputation around the galaxy.

I just found out Superman: American Alien came out last year so I might check that out. I was sure the collected version didn't come out until June or so this year. I'm not big on Max Landis (Chronicle and Mr. Right were decent) but the comic seems to have good reviews and was raved about on some podcast a while back.

19Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 2:52 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Dan Slott is now very open to the possibility of OMD being revisited/resolved, but rules out the Spider-Marriage being reinstated if it is

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?92750-Thread-Drift-Will-One-More-Day-ever-be-reversed&p=2666975&posted=1#post2666975

My hunch? He's misdirecting. It's coming back. He's too in love with saying it's not happening that he's practically hinting at it in plain sight. Is it ANY coincidence he's saying all of this days ahead of ASM V4#25, which promises a "game changing" twist in one of it's short stories?

20Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 5:47 pm

Zarius

Zarius

The Gwenom Saga is happening at last, it will begin in Issue 19 of Spider-Gwen and runs through Issue 23 according to the Amazon solicit for the trade

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Gwen-Vol-4-Gwenom/dp/1302905961/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1489321035&sr=8-2&keywords=gwenom&linkCode=sl1&tag=richjohnston-20&linkId=e08f671bf41a138052883b9569bc9f19

After her adventure with Miles Morales, Gwen finds herself thrown into her toughest, most intense encounter yet. One word: Gwenom! It's the mash-up to end all mash-ups, but the stakes are very high and the consequences are very real! Will Spider-Gwen be able to get through this new challenge in one piece?

COLLECTING: SPIDER-GWEN 19-23

21Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 8:56 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Is Spider-Gwen in the same universe as the current Spider-Man or is she in a different part of the multiverse? I think my brother has the first volume or two so I might check them out. I'm assuming Marvel NOW was Marvel's version of a New 52 style semi-reboot.

22Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 9:31 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Spider-Gwen is an alternate reality, although the character has crossed over into the main Spidey's home dimension several times.

Marvel NOW is not a reboot. Marvel "tweek" their continuity ever so slightly (ex: bollocks like One More Day), but they try to maintain the same continuity for the most part.

23Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 10:04 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Ah. I thought it was like New 52 that relaunced their titles to allow filthy casuals such as myself to start reading without needing to worrry about the many years of history while also not needed to sit through all the origin stories.

24Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 12th March 2017, 10:08 pm

Zarius

Zarius

That was what the Ultimate Universe was for back in 2000...'till they went and ruined that by hiring Jeph Loeb when he was still greiving the loss of his son

25Comic Books Empty Re: Comic Books 23rd March 2017, 2:53 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I had a lot of fun reading Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#5. Annie is an adorable addition to the Parker clan....and it turns out peter actually hates the 60s Spider-Man theme song.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum