Tanmann
Pepsi Maxil
Rawkuss
Mott1
Plain Old Dave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What books are you reading? Empty What books are you reading? 26th July 2017, 9:37 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Currently starting the third book of Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem Trilogy.

The series gets progressively better as you go along. Definitely one of the best series of hard sc-fi books I've ever read.

It deals with issues like alien invasion, the Fermi paradox, galactic communication, the human spirit, betrayal, runaway climate change and technological progress.

The revelation at the end of The Dark Forest (book two) is a staggering insight as to why we appear to be relatively alone in the universe. It's so feasible that you'd think it was slap-in-the-face obvious in retrospect, but I've only ever heard a notion like it once before.

2What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 26th July 2017, 10:49 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I was reading Time and Relative Dissertations in Space but I was reading it out of order and then put it down for a couple of weeks and then forgot what bits I had read and what bits I had not.

So I started Keith Booker's The Dystopian Impulse in Modern Literature: Fiction as Social Criticism. It's alright.

The most interesting thing I have read lately is how Paramount bought the film rights for War of the Worlds from H.G. Wells in 1925 and there were several failed attempts to get it green lit. Hitchcock was lined up at one point in the '30s.

It was a magazine article but it's mentioned here: http://markbourne.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/alternate-universe-movies-alfred.html

3What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 25th September 2017, 7:26 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Mark Kermode's The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex. Also, The Communist Manifesto.

4What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 28th September 2017, 4:36 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

An anthology of eclectic speculative fiction short stories, ‘Moondust Memories’, by Vaughan Stanger: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moondust-Memories-Vaughan-Stanger-ebook/dp/B00GMQYJXA/ref=la_B007FP6ZIO_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506608411&sr=1-6

5What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 28th November 2017, 2:25 am

Plain Old Dave

I have recently rediscovered the Sage of Baltimore, one Henry Louis Mencken. A master of the essay.

The Hills of Zion
Sister Aimee
The Sahara of the Bozart
Diary of a Retreat
Recollections of Notable Cops
The Noble Experiment

Tremendously entertaining, insightful and witty; a black belt wordsmith. The Colossus of American letters of the Jazz Age and easily one of the finest prose writers of the first half of the 20th Century.

6What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 28th November 2017, 8:46 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Tom Sharpe's The Throwback. His later works lacked the spark of his classic period, and for me this is the peak of his output - savage farce at its finest.

7What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 13th May 2018, 4:06 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I am two-thirds of the way through Paradise Lost but can't be fucked to finish it. I don't care if everybody else thinks it's a master piece, it bores the arse off me.

8What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 13th May 2018, 4:33 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Place and Leisure. It is a study book I'm revising for my final uni assignment

As for fiction I'm halfway through the first Red Dwarf novel and really enjoying it. One of the most entertaining and amusing books I've read in a long while. Love the additional content and the larger sense of scale. When I finish I think I might start the Blake's 7 novel called "Project Avalon".

9What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 27th January 2019, 8:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The City of Gold and Lead. Very engaging stuff.

10What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 7th March 2019, 11:51 am

Ordered two from Amazon

How Britain Initiated both World Wars - Nicholas Kollerstrom (a gently spoken peace activist and sadly a disgraced academic after daring to question certain historical narratives. I really do despise the academic world and its consensus on reality).

Dope Inc - Executive Intelligence Review (an old favourite of mine, this is a more recent addition).

Both of these will segue-way nicely into The Phoney Victory: The World War II Illusion by Peter Hitchens which I intend to borrow from the library.

I hope I don't end up as dead as an Iranian nuclear scientist for divulging my reading habits.

11What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 8th June 2019, 12:30 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Recently managed to read James O'Brien's How To Be Right in just a day. Very readable and pretty astute.

12What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 9th June 2019, 11:48 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Back to the Future by George Gipe.

13What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 9th June 2019, 11:50 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Commander Maxil wrote:Back to the Future by George Gipe.

Big Grin I remember finding and reading that in a charity shop at 17. Really liked the way it embellished on the film.

Glad you found a copy too as it's kind of a rarity today.

14What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 15th November 2019, 9:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Backwards by Rob Grant.

Really enjoying it so far.

15What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 15th November 2019, 9:53 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Backwards by Rob Grant.

Really enjoying it so far.

UNRUMBLE!

16What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 22nd November 2019, 5:34 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

How to write science fiction & fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

Really fascinating. I believe this is my calling.

17What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 22nd November 2019, 6:32 pm

prick

prick

howw too mayk frends and influnce peeple. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

reely gud reed soe farr farao farao

18What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 22nd November 2019, 7:17 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

prick wrote:howw too mayk frends and influnce peeple. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

reely gud reed soe farr farao farao

What sort of business is this business you're in then? Is it a small business or a large business? Is it in the city? Is it a city business?

19What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 22nd November 2019, 9:36 pm

Richie

Richie

That's "War and Peace" finished. I knew that Russian bloke did it. Same as last time. I could have written that. I would have, too, if Tolstoy hadn't sneaked in first, only I'd have put some nudey pictures in.

I wouldn't call it "War and Peace", either.

I'd call it something more appropriate, like"A Load of Old Bollocks.

20What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 27th November 2019, 10:21 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Just ordered the Fawlty Towers script book for only £1.87! Looking forward to receiving that.

21What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 27th November 2019, 11:15 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Pepsi Maxil wrote:How to write science fiction & fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

Really fascinating. I believe this is my calling.

One of the best starting points is Steven King's On Writing. I'm not totally enamoured with his work, but this is probably the best foundational guide to writing I've ever read.

22What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 28th November 2019, 3:57 am

Ludders

Ludders

Citizen Clem by John Bew.

23What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 29th November 2019, 11:07 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ordered the "Sword of the Spirits" trilogy by John Christopher, the author of The Tripods trilogy.

"The stories are set in the South of England, mostly in Hampshire, in a post-apocalyptic future where, due to a worldwide ecological catastrophe, life has reverted to a militaristic, medieval setting of walled cities and perpetual warfare. Christians are a despised minority, as spiritual matters are in the hands of a priestly class of monastic "Seers" who interpret the will of the "Spirits". There are signs of the past existence of the modern world in the ruins of great cities and "high roads" which dot the harsh landscape, but the Seers have made the technology of the "ancients" anathema, and anyone dabbling in "Science" is immediately put to death."

John Christopher is one of my favourite authors so I'm extremely hyped to read this trilogy!

24What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 5th February 2020, 11:26 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Highlanders by Gerry Davis.

One of Troughton's best adventures. Kirsty and Polly rule!

25What books are you reading? Empty Re: What books are you reading? 6th February 2020, 4:11 am

Ludders

Ludders

Salem's Lot. Stehen King.
First time for about 40 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum