43 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38 ... 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 42]

851Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 22nd March 2019, 5:07 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Queen Angvia wrote:
burrunjor wrote:
So what happened to that "Great book" you were telling us about, Burrunjor? Wink

Well I was a bit premature in saying it was great. I was only through the first bit which is excellent. It is such a good idea too. The idea of Scratchman being a monster that travels from universe to universe eating them, and the previous universe he destroyed are great ideas.

Its one of the darkest stories in the shows history, with the Doctor failing to save an entire universe at the end.

Its just a shame that they had to turn it into fan fiction. Its a shame Tom didn't write more books.

Finished Scratchman and, tbh, I wasn't that impressed. I don't exactly know why, I should really love this book - Tom is by far my favourite Doctor and he has an absurdly morbid writing style, but somehow I was left cold. Maybe I expected too much (one fan review described the book as 'Doctor Who Meets The Wicker Man' - how cool would that be?), maybe it was the inclusion of Jodie friggin' Whittaker's incarnation (who appears twice in the book, though isn't actually named as the 13th Doctor), or maybe it was James Goss' input, or most probably because there aren't many startlingly original ideas in the whole book (well, apart from the giant pinball machine scene).  Not original to a reader in 2019, at least. Back in the mid-'70's when it was first conceived, I dare say Scratchman would have been a delightfully barmy new kind of Doctor Who story (movie) but reading a book version of the film script in 2019 now only reminds me of other stuff we've seen before...

*Spoilers*

The Doctor on trial by his own people - The War Games and The Trial of a Timelord.

Killer Scarecrows - Human Nature/The Family of Blood and the 1998 BBC book 'The Hollow Men'.

The Doctor, companions and local residents trapped in a church while monsters try to break in - The Curse of Fenric and Father's Day.

The Doctor encounters The Devil (or a version of him, at least) - The Daemons and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

Plus, while there are certainly many grim/nasty scenes of horror in Scratchman, the book also contains the distinctively NuWho 'soppiness' that the old series rarely had - the Doctor is often presented as an impossibly silly, yet wonderful, kind-hearted, Space Father Christmas (I bet those bits were Goss' contribution).

Disappointed (though I did appreciate the George Formby references in the first part of the book!).

Sorry to bring this up again, but one part of the book I liked with Charon as a cockney London cabbie had also been done before. In The Mighty Boosh LOL.

To be fair every idea has been done by now. I still enjoyed the fantasy surrealist aspects of the book, but yeah all the New Who mawkishness ruined it.

852Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 22nd March 2019, 7:31 pm

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

burrunjor wrote:
Queen Angvia wrote:
burrunjor wrote:
So what happened to that "Great book" you were telling us about, Burrunjor? Wink

Well I was a bit premature in saying it was great. I was only through the first bit which is excellent. It is such a good idea too. The idea of Scratchman being a monster that travels from universe to universe eating them, and the previous universe he destroyed are great ideas.

Its one of the darkest stories in the shows history, with the Doctor failing to save an entire universe at the end.

Its just a shame that they had to turn it into fan fiction. Its a shame Tom didn't write more books.

Finished Scratchman and, tbh, I wasn't that impressed. I don't exactly know why, I should really love this book - Tom is by far my favourite Doctor and he has an absurdly morbid writing style, but somehow I was left cold. Maybe I expected too much (one fan review described the book as 'Doctor Who Meets The Wicker Man' - how cool would that be?), maybe it was the inclusion of Jodie friggin' Whittaker's incarnation (who appears twice in the book, though isn't actually named as the 13th Doctor), or maybe it was James Goss' input, or most probably because there aren't many startlingly original ideas in the whole book (well, apart from the giant pinball machine scene).  Not original to a reader in 2019, at least. Back in the mid-'70's when it was first conceived, I dare say Scratchman would have been a delightfully barmy new kind of Doctor Who story (movie) but reading a book version of the film script in 2019 now only reminds me of other stuff we've seen before...

*Spoilers*

The Doctor on trial by his own people - The War Games and The Trial of a Timelord.

Killer Scarecrows - Human Nature/The Family of Blood and the 1998 BBC book 'The Hollow Men'.

The Doctor, companions and local residents trapped in a church while monsters try to break in - The Curse of Fenric and Father's Day.

The Doctor encounters The Devil (or a version of him, at least) - The Daemons and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

Plus, while there are certainly many grim/nasty scenes of horror in Scratchman, the book also contains the distinctively NuWho 'soppiness' that the old series rarely had - the Doctor is often presented as an impossibly silly, yet wonderful, kind-hearted, Space Father Christmas (I bet those bits were Goss' contribution).

Disappointed (though I did appreciate the George Formby references in the first part of the book!).

Sorry to bring this up again, but one part of the book I liked with Charon as a cockney London cabbie had also been done before. In The Mighty Boosh LOL.

To be fair every idea has been done by now. I still enjoyed the fantasy surrealist aspects of the book, but yeah all the New Who mawkishness ruined it.

Indeed.

853Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 23rd March 2019, 10:07 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

https://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-who-ranking-all-13-doctors-from-worst-to-best

Even the sort of idiots who'd rank Hartnell & Pertwee beneath all of the RTD/Moffat Doctors can't bring themselves to defend Jodie.

LOL LOL

854Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 24th March 2019, 7:05 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

"Whittaker's Doctor is the weakest of the thirteen main incarnations...she's far too nice to ever feel truly imposing. By trying to make the eleventh series of the revived show more accessible, showrunner Chris Chibnall stripped the Doctor of her dark edge and super-duper alien weirdness, elements the character really needs. Because of this, Thirteen is a bit of stock, standard, simplified Doctor: just your run-of-the-mill sci-fi heroine..."

Truth (although to a certain extent, all NuWho Doctors are simplified, diluted, more humanised versions of the character - it's just that the trend has reached its peak with Whittaker).

855Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 24th March 2019, 10:41 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:https://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-who-ranking-all-13-doctors-from-worst-to-best

Even the sort of idiots who'd rank Hartnell & Pertwee beneath all of the RTD/Moffat Doctors can't bring themselves to defend Jodie.

LOL LOL

If only someone had told these morons that Jodie was a bad idea. Can't think who said that Big Grin

Its really annoying to see people who would have called us gammons now finally jump on the bandwagon like these soyboys here.

They admit it was crap, and its for EXACTLY the same reasons I said it would be in 2013 if you let these sjw morons take over the brand. IE it would focus on identity politics crap rather than sci fi, monsters, horror etc. Even now they still don't get it and go on about neckbeards.

I love how they paint it as the most divisive series. Divisive among people who thought that it was kinda shit and those who thought it was really shit.

Oh and Mr Tardis LOL. I can imagine Mr Tardis being like Captain Rum in Blackadder when he says.

"Opinion is divided on having a crew. Every single other captain says it is essential, I say it isn't"

856Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 24th March 2019, 9:24 pm

Zarius

Zarius

ClockworkOcean wrote:https://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-who-ranking-all-13-doctors-from-worst-to-best

LOL LOL

Wasn't Whatculture's biggest draw a legit sex pest? LOL

857Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 25th March 2019, 2:38 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Series 11 - Page 35 Facepalm

858Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 25th March 2019, 4:40 pm

Boofer

Boofer

11 Reasons I Want to Kill Myself and Every Person Alive.

Every season of NuWho.

860Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 27th March 2019, 7:48 pm

Zarius

Zarius

861Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 29th March 2019, 3:48 pm

strawbs

bryanbraddock wrote:I've never watched Comic Relief and I don't intend to start now just because some old Sheffield slapper tells me to.

You've never been interested in helping an important charity try to make the third world a better place?

Wow!

You really should be ashamed of yourself.

What a despicable human being you are.

862Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 29th March 2019, 6:36 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

bryanbraddock wrote:The twat in the hat is one of the worst youtube nuwho pundits out there.
He regularly deletes comments and bans people for simply not liking the things he does.

Wow.... and you're not as bad as him.... how, exactly!??

863Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 31st March 2019, 2:53 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Bladeswitch wrote:
bryanbraddock wrote:The twat in the hat is one of the worst youtube nuwho pundits out there.
He regularly deletes comments and bans people for simply not liking the things he does.

because he DOESN'T delete comments and bans people for simply not liking the things he does.

Obvious shill is obvious.

864Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 31st March 2019, 3:35 am

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

TheTimeTraveller wrote:
Bladeswitch wrote:

because he DOESN'T delete comments and bans people for simply not liking the things he does.

Obvious shill is obvious.

Erm.... but he did.

865Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:06 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

lol I had a great weekend.  :D
I went up to Old Trafford and watched United beat Watford, I spent Saturday night in a pub catching up with old friends in Manchester, and spent Sunday Afternoon trout fishing in Goostrey .
I get home this afternoon and check out the Hive only to find nothing has changed since Friday night, and loony Toad Quack is still frothing at the mouth :4lol:
FFS man get a life!

866Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:09 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

bryanbraddock wrote:I get home this afternoon and check out the Hive only to find nothing has changed since Friday night, and loony Toad Quack is still frothing at the mouth LOL

You're the toad here.

I'm beginning to think you couldn't man up and own your cowardice if your life of jacking off to Angela White depended on it.

867Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:24 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

Also I've never understood idiots who were into football.

868Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:27 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

bryanbraddock wrote:lol I had a great weekend.  Very Happy
I went up to Old Trafford and watched United beat Watford, I spent Saturday night in a pub catching up with old friends in Manchester, and spent Sunday Afternoon trout fishing in Goostrey .
I get home this afternoon and check out the Hive only to find nothing has changed since Friday night, and loony Toad Quack is still frothing at the mouth LOL
FFS man get a life!

The guy has probably spent more time on this forum the last few days than most users have over the last two years.

Series 11 - Page 35 Giphy

869Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:30 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

That will happen when spineless pussies like Bryan do a runner from it.

870Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 4:35 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

Also, was it you that spammed the whole forum with that "Bryan sucks JNT cock" shite?

871Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 6:40 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Bladeswitch wrote:Also, was it you that spammed the whole forum with that "Bryan sucks JNT cock" shite?

Series 11 - Page 35 Giphy

Unbelievable IQ. Bonus points if you can guess my other alts.

872Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 6:44 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

I don't know you that well. I guess your reputation as a sad fucker who does that kind of shit just didn't reach me.

873Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 6:53 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Bladeswitch wrote:I don't know you that well. I guess your reputation as a sad fucker who does that kind of shit just didn't reach me.

Series 11 - Page 35 JZgDhiP

You're literally the only one with alts here you utter subhuman.

874Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 6:55 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:You're literally the only one with alts here you utter subhuman.

Oh grow up!

875Series 11 - Page 35 Empty Re: Series 11 1st April 2019, 7:31 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Meh, you've run out of ideas. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum