You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars Megathread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

176Star Wars Megathread - Page 8 Empty Re: Star Wars Megathread on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 2:36 pm

Bernard Marx

@Tanmann wrote:The sad thing is, I'm still a bit of a sucker for its viscera. For the hope it might be good, or at least exciting. Or at least might salvage something from the wreckage that was The Last Jedi.
I thought it'd be easy to remain disinterested and not care enough to see the new film. I thought I had no reason to care anymore. But I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for me this Christmas not succumbing to the curiosity to see it.
I’m experiencing that too, though it’s a case of me trying to snap to reality and realise that the film will likely be a stab to the gut if I do see it.

177Star Wars Megathread - Page 8 Empty Re: Star Wars Megathread on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 2:57 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
@Bernard Marx wrote:I’m experiencing that too, though it’s a case of me trying to snap to reality and realise that the film will likely be a stab to the gut if I do see it.

I came out The Last Jedi believing there was nothing really to care about anymore. There seemed to be a complete abuse of narrative progression, suggesting the story was going nowhere, anything could happen at random now and so any events pretty much had no meaning anymore.

The premature death of Snoke made clear there was no attempt to even justify why the Galactic Empire was a thing again, and so they were just there for the sake of aping the iconography of Star Wars, and to be the whipping boy of the makers' idea of 'straw Nazis'. So if the empire could just be back like their last defeat meant nothing, why should I care about the fight to defeat them again?

And in a way the ending note, where the chances for the resistance couldn't be lower against such a titanic force as the Empire.... it's almost like the stakes are so ridiculously high, there's no real point in investing in them. We've seen nothing from the resistance in the previous film to suggest they have the capacity to turn things around in an intelligent, logical, progressive way. So if they do turn things around, it'll be by the power of random nonsense and Mary Sue magic powers.

Maybe that's the problem. The trailer reminds me there were consequences and loose threads to The Last Jedi, with the resistance reduced to that small band of stragglers. Like David versus Goliath. Or indeed like Bettan and her few surviving Thals against the Daleks.

I keep forgetting The Last Jedi was not a reasonable film when it came to our expectations, and since Disney have doubled down in their arrogance, there's no reason Rise of Skywalker should be either. There was a great film they could've made out of the new Star Wars saga. There still is. But everything about the Disney machine suggests we won't get it, and it would just make a fool out of us for reasonably expecting one.

178Star Wars Megathread - Page 8 Empty Re: Star Wars Megathread on Sat 07 Sep 2019, 3:36 pm

Bernard Marx

On a sidenote, I’d noticed that some discussion concerning Game of Thrones season 8 had ended up on this thread. For anyone who’s interested, here’s a brilliant video that cathartically tears episode 5 to shreads and outlines how the season completely undermines the overarching narrative and ruins every single character to some capacity (though the video may be rather lengthy to some, at 2 hours and 37 minutes):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7K0KaEYX41c&t=3030s

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum