Stevewoodley86
DogStar2000
Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 28]

551Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th November 2019, 9:50 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls. Oh dear. This hasn't aged well already. The genderbending bollocks coupled with Moffat jokes/trolling and the descent into the usual New Who spectacular in part 2 are eyerolling, but even part 1 doesn't stand up. Yeah there's some atmospheric stuff with the Mondasian Cybermen but it's largely all ripped off from Spare Parts and the glee of the Master's reveal is more down to Ainley nostalgia than anything else, and is again all in service of the genderbending crap anyway.
Oh dear.
None of series 10 holds up at all even merely two years later, frankly. And Spare Parts is aeons better that the two parter in every conceivable way anyway, not least because the characters are much more believably realised alongside some actual world building, as to make the disturbing elements of that story all the more hard hitting. Most of the two parter is just Moffat exercising his ego all the more upon reflection.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Spare Parts animated at this point. It’d be nice to see a decent new Cybermen story for a bloody change!

552Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th November 2019, 10:36 am

Ludders

Ludders

Terror of the Zygons

What a classic. Great looking aliens. Superb direction. Loads of atmosphere. Dr Who at its peak. The only downside was the Skarasen. Apart from that, the visual effects look pretty damn fine. Especially considering this was the BBC.
Tom and Liz are completely at one with each other by now, and all due respect to Ian Marter, it was obvious that Harry was just the third wheel. Marter was a fine actor and puts in a particularly good performance here, but they made the right decision to let him go.
Fantastic start to one my Top 3 seasons of Who. 9/10.

553Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th November 2019, 10:48 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Terror of the Zygons

What a classic. Great looking aliens. Superb direction. Loads of atmosphere. Dr Who at its peak. The only downside was the Skarasen. Apart from that, the visual effects look pretty damn fine. Especially  considering this was the BBC.
Tom and Liz are completely at one with each other by now, and all due respect to Ian Marter, it was obvious that Harry was just the third wheel. Marter was a fine actor and puts in a particularly good performance here, but they made the right decision to let him go.
Completely agree. Zygons is an absolute classic. Camfield’s direction, Burgon’s gorgeous score and everything else about the production (bar the Skarasen) is superb (I also look forward to seeing it on Blu Ray, as it’s always looked very good on the DVD). It’s certainly within the top tier of the Hinchcliffe era as far as I’m concerned, and I feel obliged to give it a re-watch myself today. Big Grin

554Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th November 2019, 10:54 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Terror of the Zygons

What a classic. Great looking aliens. Superb direction. Loads of atmosphere. Dr Who at its peak. The only downside was the Skarasen. Apart from that, the visual effects look pretty damn fine. Especially  considering this was the BBC.
Completely agree. Zygons is an absolute classic. Camfield’s direction, Burgon’s gorgeous score and everything else about the production (bar the Skarasen) is superb (I also look forward to seeing it on Blu Ray, as it’s always looked very good on the DVD). It’s certainly within the top tier of the Hinchcliffe era as far as I’m concerned, and I feel obliged to give it a re-watch myself today. Big Grin

Thanks for reminding me about Burgon's wonderful score. Should've mentioned that. Very atmospheric. Cool

555Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th November 2019, 7:25 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Before watching Terror of the Zygons again, I figured I’d check out another of the Capaldi stories to see if they were as bad as I remembered as I haven’t seen most of them (including this one) since broadcast. Re-watched The Magician’s Apprentice/ The Witch’s Familiar.

Fuck me, that was one of the most painfully awful viewing experiences I have had in a long, long time. That might just be even worse than Death in Heaven. Everything about that story is utterly loathsome.

I won’t summarise or explain my updated thoughts in full yet as I feel like this story deserves an eventual in-depth evisceration (which I would bother to write if I wasn’t so bloody tired at the moment), but there really is so much wrong with this doggerel. What a middle finger to TruWho and competent scriptwriting in general.

556Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th November 2019, 2:22 am

Ludders

Ludders

Planet of Evil

Not the greatest story of the Hinchcliffe era, but this wasn't as dull as I remembered it to be. The plot is a bit basic, but the sets look great, and the performances are good. Prentis Hancock is a bit crap, but otherwise the guest cast are fine.
It's really Tom and Liz that make these weaker stories so watchable. And Liz Sladen doesn't do the eyes any harm in this one either. Wink 7/10

557Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th November 2019, 2:53 am

iank

iank

Bernard Marx wrote:Before watching Terror of the Zygons again, I figured I’d check out another of the Capaldi stories to see if they were as bad as I remembered as I haven’t seen most of them (including this one) since broadcast. Re-watched The Magician’s Apprentice/ The Witch’s Familiar.

Fuck me, that was one of the most painfully awful viewing experiences I have had in a long, long time. That might just be even worse than Death in Heaven. Everything about that story is utterly loathsome.

I won’t summarise or explain my updated thoughts in full yet as I feel like this story deserves an eventual in-depth evisceration (which I would bother to write if I wasn’t so bloody tired at the moment), but there really is so much wrong with this doggerel. What a middle finger to TruWho and competent scriptwriting in general.

Oh man, it truly is something "special". LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

558Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th November 2019, 5:32 am

Doctor7

Frederick Jaeger is really good in planet of evil.

559Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th November 2019, 11:56 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I watched The Dominators a month or so ago. I really can't agree with fandom on this one either. I thought it was pretty enjoyable for the most part and certainly more interesting than Seeds.

560Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 15th November 2019, 7:25 pm

REDACTED

Planet Of Fire (1984)

I decided to go back and reevalute this one and to be honest, not a lot has changed....

The location filming is gorgeous which is further boosted by Fiona Cumming's direction and Davison and Strickson are excellent as well as Nicola Bryant making a strong debut as Perpugilliam 'Peri' Brown. Also the soundtrack is rather good as well.

However the plot itself is quite thin and it soon degenerates into another Ainley Master runaround and to be honest, I still find the whole thing quite a slog.

Planet Of Fire has a lot of good elements with an excellent use of location filming, a great performance from Davison, an impressive exit from Mark Strickson and an cool debut for Nicola Bryant but at the same time the thin and rather dull story drags it down heavily for me and the final thing just feels like a hollow non entity. 2.5/5

561Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 16th November 2019, 9:02 pm

REDACTED

Planet Of The Daleks (1973)

My friend let me borrow his Season 10 Blu-ray and I decided to check out Planet as it was the story I had seen the least amount of times and also I thought it would be interesting to see it again and see if my thoughts on it had changed.

I found myself actually enjoying it more than last time and whilst it is essentially far from the Daleks finest hour and it is essentially a 'Greatest Hits' Dalek story, there is still plenty to enjoy such as Pertwee and Manning being on top form, good performances from the guest cast and quite a lot of exciting gripping moments.

Planet Of The Daleks is definitely the weakest episode of Season 10 and is quite an unoriginal pastiche of previous Dalek tales but for some reason, there is some sort of endearing magic to it that makes the story perfect viewing for an lazy Saturday evening. 3/5.

562Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 17th November 2019, 4:42 am

Ludders

Ludders

Indrid Mercury wrote:Planet Of The Daleks (1973)

My friend let me borrow his Season 10 Blu-ray and I decided to check out Planet as it was the story I had seen the least amount of times and also I thought it would be interesting to see it again and see if my thoughts on it had changed.

I found myself actually enjoying it more than last time and whilst it is essentially far from the Daleks finest hour and it is essentially a 'Greatest Hits' Dalek story, there is still plenty to enjoy such as Pertwee and Manning being on top form, good performances from the guest cast and quite a lot of exciting  gripping moments.

Planet Of The Daleks is definitely the weakest episode of Season 10 and is quite an unoriginal pastiche of previous Dalek tales but for some reason, there is some sort of endearing magic to it that makes the story perfect viewing for an lazy Saturday evening. 3/5.

Nicely put.

563Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 17th November 2019, 5:19 am

Ludders

Ludders

Pyramids of Mars

If there was one story to rival Genesis of the Daleks as my favourite DW story of all time, it would be this one.
The only possible weakness might be episode 4 being a bit of a retread of the Exillon city in Death to the Daleks, which just feels a little bit like padding, but it really is a very small thing in such an excellent story all round.
There have been a few instances over the years where slightly poor wording in scripts have slightly exaggerated the perceived threat level, (although you'll have to forgive me for not being able to recall such an instance at this exact moment in time) Laughing But my point being that Sutekh is most definitely not one of them. You real feel that this literally god-like entity is one of the most serious threats (if not the most) that the Doctor (and by extention, the universe) has ever faced. The gravity of the situation is keenly conveyed both in the writing and the excellent performances of the cast.
Never has the Doctor been quite so intense in his grim determination in facing down this threat, and conveying just how serious the situation is to Sarah and Marcus.
Gabriel Woolf 's voice acting is just superb. He manages to exude a level of cold, detached malevolence that feels so real. To get this across so effectively is huge part of why Sutekh is so believable.
All the cast excel in this story, from Tom and Liz, through the Scarman brothers, right down to the lesser supporting characters like Warlock, Namin, and Collins. Special mention to the Scarman brothers; Michael Sheard has put in many solid performance over the years, but surely Marcus is one of his best roles.
Meanwhile, Bernard Archard's performance is simply superb. He almost deserves to be the sole villain in this story because he does such a sterling job. The makeup work adds to the effect of making Scarman one of the most scary and effective human characters to grace Dr Who. A formidable characterisation from Archard. I hope he was proud of this one, because he should be.
With the acting levels so high, the super script, and the marvelously gothic atmosphere of the whole piece; this makes for a genuine bona fide classic in Who history. I can't give this masterpiece any less than the full score of 10/10, which is rare from me even on favourites.

564Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th November 2019, 8:14 am

Ludders

Ludders

The Android Invasion

I've always considered this one, along with Planet of Evil, as the weakest of S13, and amongst the weakest of the entire Hinchcliffe era. But unlike Planet of Evil, which on re-watching I enjoyed a bit more than I expected; this story didn't have the same effect. It still very much feels like a generic, DW by numbers, runaround.
It's not that it's a bad story, as such; it just doesn't stand out. Granted, there are some of the greatest stories around it, but even so, it feels very kind of Season 15 in a way.
The performances are solid enough, and the realisation of the Kraals is not bad at all. And the country village setting works well enough. It's literally just the run of the mill script that lets it down. And the Androids look a bit cheap and silly when the faces fall off, which doesn't help.
Also, it a shame Nick Courtney wasn't available for this one, as his presence as the brigadier would've helped.
We're in not for the strong performances of Tom and Liz, and Milton Johns in particular, I would've given this a 5/10, but the cast manage to raise the bar to a cut above average, so I give it 6/10.

565Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 21st November 2019, 2:09 am

Ludders

Ludders

Brain of Morbius

After the somewhat average previous story, this is definitely a return to form. Perhaps not quite up there with Pyramids, but still a top quality classic.
Once again superb performances all round, particularly from the impressive guest cast, Cynthia Grenville, Colin Fay, and of course the splendid Philip Madoc in surely his most memorable Dr Who role.
I suppose that as someone growing up watching Hammer and Amicus films, the gothic horror appeal of stories like this are always going to resonate with me. It may draw on Frankenstein with a bit   H. Rider Haggard's She thrown in, But what a marvellous job they did of it. The sets look great, and the lighting all goes towards creating such a wonderfully atmospheric story.
Definitely a favourite of mine. 9/10

566Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 27th November 2019, 7:46 am

Ludders

Ludders

Seeds of Doom

Quite simply one of the greatest Who stories ever. Tom's performance is at peak level. Serious, but still with a mischievous twinkle. Brilliant acting when he loses it with Scorby. In NuWho, only Eccleston comes anywhere near being able to do anger like Tom can.
Great writing too. A 6 parter that genuinely doesn't flag.
Top notch performances from all concerned. The only thing missing is the proper UNIT crew, which would've been the icing on the cake.
But nevertheless, a stone cold classic, and top 5 material for me. 10/10

567Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 29th November 2019, 10:05 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve not had as much time to continue with my Who viewings lately, but I finally managed to watch the next set of stories for each decade.

1960s “The Keys of Marinus”:
This is rather difficult to assess on my part, largely because, although I recognise its abundant shortcomings, I found it thoroughly entertaining on my latest viewing. It’s certainly not the most challenging or well written story ever devised (being a rather formulaic script by Nation), some of the acting is risible (especially from the guest cast), the characterisation isn’t especially noteworthy beyond the Tardis crew, and there are quite a few unintentional moments of hilarity (especially the infamous scream after a Voord is pushed by Ian into the sea in episode 1). Yet for all these shortcomings, and its six episode duration, there is a certain brevity to the narrative that kept me interested. It is commendable to see a six parter that constantly shifts in location and setting every episode as to prevent monotony and reinforce the serialised nature of the story- there’s very little padding here, and the story never loses its intrinsic sense of adventure and wonder as a result of these factors. Like a certain number of Nation’s scripts, it’s a little rough around the edges objectively, but thoroughly enjoyable whilst it lasts.

1970s “Terror of the Autons”:
There is immediately a very noticeable transition from the gritty tone of season 7 to the more comic-book inspired vibe of season 8 (and the remainder of the era, though there is still a certain crudeness and roughness to season 8 which resembles season 7 more than the following seasons), as evidenced by the often poor CSO on display, but beyond that, this is a classic in my view. Delgado immediately makes a stark impression in his debut as the Master, never coming across as overly camp and idiotic as with NuWho’s takes on the character and retaining a certain suaveness in every scene, with a reserved nature that most future interpretations of the character fail to grasp. There’s some very quotable and frankly brilliantly realised dialogue here too (courtesy of Holmes), “He sat in this chair...then just slipped away”, and the episode 2 cliffhanger (alongside the subsequent quarry scene) are superbly done. There is a very macabre feel to this story as well (as evidenced by the somewhat absurd creations of the troll doll and the plastic inflatable chair), complimenting Holmes’s dark sense of humour very well, and preventing the story from getting too cosy by all means. Thoroughly entertaining.

1980s “Warriors’ Gate”:
From the serial to the macabre to the surreal- this has been an interesting set of stories! This has always been a personal favourite due to its highly dynamic visual direction and unique narrative structure, and it didn’t disappoint on this latest viewing either. Much of the set design in this story reminds me of “Solaris” (1972), and indeed the story itself often evokes an atmosphere similar to that film, whilst the mirror imagery is inspired by “Orpheus” (1950), providing the story with a cultural weight lacking in most NuWho stories. It is interesting how the E-Space trilogy concludes with a story that revolves around the Tardis crew having to remain passive and introspective as opposed to active in order to achieve their victory by the story’s conclusion, effectively serving as an opposite to ‘Full Circle”. At its heart, it is a fairly traditional tale concerning corporate greed’s ensnarement of intellect, imagination and ingenuity (as represented by the Tharrils and the Time Winds), albeit told in a manner low on clear exposition and heavy on imagery. In spite of this, the script remains air-tight, and the ideas on display elevate the story’s staying power for me. A divisive tale amongst fandom, but a highly impressive one regardless.

2000s “Dalek”:
I shall now be controversial. I have always found this overrated as all hell, and it’s only become all the more risible with age. Yes, the Dalek is treated rather modestly here during particular chunks of the story, which makes a change from most NuWho Dalek stories, but it’s still undermined by a sickeningly poorly realised final 10 minutes which undermines the Dalek completely via injecting mawkish melodrama into proceedings. Eccleston’s “I couldn’t... I wasn’t... Aw, Rose” in both dialogue and delivery, coupled with Gold’s saccharine music, is decidedly cringeworthy- frankly, the narrative would have benefited from Eccleston gunning down the Dalek to Rose’s despair as opposed to emoting in a decidedly unconvincing fashion. The guest cast are largely unmemorable too, largely composed of caricatures with questionable dialogue “I am so gonna patent that!”... “if you will not save the woman you love”, although there are certainly some standout lines too “I know what should happen...what you deserve...Exterminate!” “You would make a good Dalek”. The “elevate” scene is also more visually dated that that in “Remembrance of the Daleks” in spite of being 17 years younger. It’s a shame the story is as flawed as it is, as the source material “Jubilee” is superb, and I get the impression that Shearman’s script may have been edited, as all of his BF output I have experienced has been fantastic (The Holy Terror and Chimes of Midnight being especially good). Promising albeit flawed for the first 35 minutes or so, but let down completely by its final scene.

2010s “The Vampires of Venice”:
This lightweight effort seemed OK to me on broadcast, I’ll admit, though I can’t say I was impressed by it much on my latest viewing at all. To refer back to Ronnie’s points in his own take of this story, although Smith is still aeons better than the prior two NuWho Doctors, he is still written as a sexed up caricature “We need to talk about your fiancé- she tried to kiss me”. The inclusion of such interactions just seemed to be inserted in order to reinforce the soap opera conventions of NuWho (and to reinforce the NuWho mantra of “comedy”), and doesn’t have much purpose beyond this. The episode is littered with this, and it does remind one of the worst excesses of NuWho due to this essence of smugness on display. Much of it does come across as patronisingly farcical, with only the regulars and the production design capable of livening it up. The resolution is also crap, and does come across as a traditional NuWho “press the reset button” resolution (albeit nowhere near as badly as “Journey’s End”, of course). Inconsequential nonsense.

I’m still debating on which story I enjoyed the most. It’s either the 70s or the 80s from an objective measurement, I’d say.

568Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th November 2019, 9:55 am

Ludders

Ludders

Amy's Choice

Before moving on the S14, I decided to squeeze in a bit NuWho from where I left off last time. I remember liking this as one of the better episodes, but once again I've felt a bit disappointed when it comes to rewatching this stuff.
It's still not too bad by NuWho standards, but the interminably dull Amy & Rory soapy just gets tedious really quickly. As ever with NuWho, they often have some good stories ideas but the realisation just gets cluttered up with up with crap.
Still, there are a lot worse episodes than this, and it's certainly one of Matt Smith's better performances, and at least has a bit an atmosphere about it. Other than that, I can't say it's quite as much of a stand out episode as I thought it was. 6/10

569Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th November 2019, 10:07 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Amy's Choice

Before moving on the S14, I decided to squeeze in a bit NuWho from where I left off last time.  I remember liking this as one of the better episodes, but once again I've felt a bit disappointed when it comes to rewatching this stuff.
It's still not too bad by NuWho standards, but the interminably dull Amy & Rory soapy just gets tedious really quickly. As ever with NuWho, they often have some good stories ideas but the realisation just gets cluttered up with up with crap.
Still, there are a lot worse episodes than this, and it's certainly one of Matt Smith's better performances, and at least has a bit an atmosphere about it. Other than that, I can't say it's quite as much of a stand out episode as I thought it was. 6/10
I still like it quite a bit, although I felt somewhat similarly on my latest re-watch of it (which I will go over on my next set of reviews once I get through the other stories). It’s probably my tolerance for NuWho lessening over time that causes my comparative lack of enthusiasm for even the better stories they have.

You might as well opt for season 14 next anyway- Chibnall’s ghastly Silurian two parter is next! LOL

570Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th November 2019, 10:40 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:[You might as well opt for season 14 next anyway- Chibnall’s ghastly Silurian two parter is next! LOL

I'm strangely tempted to get that one out of the way. LOL

571Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th November 2019, 4:57 pm

Ludders

Ludders

So i watched it...
Yeah it’s rubbish isn’t it?
It actually starts off quite well, but it doesn’t take long before I start to get bored.
Somehow the Silurians have lot all their alien-ness. I know they’re not ‘aliens’ as such, but now they’re just generic Star Trek aliens with all too human mannerisms and speech. And no matter how sophisticated the masks, the human eyes behind them, spoils the effect of them supposedly being reptilian. I’d say that for men in rubber suits, the original 1970 Silurians seem far more non-human than their Nu-Who counterparts.
By part 2, my eyes were well and truly glazed over, and the effort to stay interested failed. I vaguely remember Rory dying again, and me wishing he’d just get on with it...but that’s about as much my failing attention span could muster..... I’ll give it a generous 5/10, as I know it just gets worse....

572Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st December 2019, 3:57 am

Ludders

Ludders

The wife's away visiting the new grandchild, so I'm gonna stick with NuWho for a couple of days whilst I can get away with it.  LOL

Vincent and the Doctor

I remember this episode getting a largely pretty positive response, but the time it didn't do much for me at all, and after my first ever rewatch of it, I'm still a bit conflicted on it.
On the one hand, I appreciate it for trying to do something a bit different, and making a statement on depression, etc.. But on the other hand, I found the whole getting to the point a bit of a tedious journey at times, and thought the chicken monster was a bit laughable.
But there are actually some very nice performances in this episode, and I like the overall idea, even though I think it could maybe have been developed better.
Ironically though, this is the first episode on this rewatch mission that has actually come out more positive than it originally went in at.
I don't think it's a brilliant masterpiece or anything, but at least it tried to be something better than the usual NuWho fayre. 6.5/10.

573Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st December 2019, 9:39 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

1960s “The Aztecs”:
As someone who has previously found this rather overrated, I found myself enjoying this to a noticeably greater extent than on previous viewings. Perhaps seeing the characterisation of the Tardis crew naturally develop in chronological order adds some weight to the tale, as Barbara is especially well written in this. It’s certainly a maturely conceived tale, exploring the intimacies of Aztec culture without the need to oversimplify proceedings. The endings is rather poignant and understated as well, and one that doesn’t necessarily provide easy answers. Hartnell is excellent here too as always, and to reiterate, the 60s are easily the best decade when it comes to nuanced character writing. The story’s only real flaw (and why I don’t rate it as highly as certain other stories from the period, historical or otherwise) is the relatively staid direction- it’s not awful, but nor is it especially dynamic, and certainly isn’t on par with Camfield’s direction for The Crusade (more on that on a later viewing), and I don’t think I’d regard this as one of the best from the era by any stretch, but in terms of scripting and characterisation, this is very fine indeed.

1970s “The Mind of Evil”:
A gritty harkening back to season 7, this is a largely excellent serial with Clockwork Orange narrative undertones, especially in relation to the Keller Machine. In spite of its length, the story rarely falters in terms of direction or pace (although it could have been reduced by a single episode, all things considered), and Delgado continues to sell the role of the Master with a bravura suaveness, akin to the best Bond villains. The direction is very assured too, and Dudley Simpson’s score, albeit crude, (as it is throughout the season) compliments the story rather nicely. The only noticeable flaw present here is how the formulaic trend of the Doctor and the Master aiding each other in order to prevent a greater evil is repeated here (and will extend further in later stories), and there are some noticeable plot contrivances concerning the Master’s overarching plan and how he conveniently executes it with large ease, but the strengths far outweigh the story’s limitations. The cliffhanger to episode 5 is especially well conceived, with a nice touch of editing to mislead proceedings. A great story.

1980s “The Keeper of Traken”:
This story seems relatively well acclaimed by fandom, although I’ve never quite understood why this is. Geoffrey Beevers is superb as the Master, yes (with his icy vocal performance reinforcing the eeriness of his performance), there’s some nice characterisation here and there, and the borderline fairytale undertones stand out nicely amongst the more austere sci-fi of the rest of season 18, but it’s not especially interesting or well produced either. With the exception of Anthony Ainley as Tremas and a few other side performers, the acting here isn’t especially noteworthy (with Sutton instantly showing herself up as being rather poor, whilst Waterhouse begins to showcase this all the more as well), and there is a rather stagy vibe to the production. This was present in The Aztecs too, but in that case, the dialogue and characterisation were enough to outshine such limitations, and The Aztecs features much more thought provoking subtext at its core. This never quite achieves the same thing, and whilst the story is certainly not bad, it’s only truly noteworthy due to the Master’s surprise appearance during the final episode.

2000s “The Long Game”:
Oh, bollocks. I never rated this too highly originally, but this is much worse on a re-watch. The agonising romantic subtext between Rose and the Doctor begins here in a decidedly patronising manner (“I only take the best, I’ve got Rose...” “Look at Rose- she’s asking the right questions”- since when did the Doctor adopt such an attitude towards his companions?), and Eccleston is crap here too. He seems visibly uncomfortable from the opening scene onwards, and why does he always adopt that forced Stanley Laurel grin (Whenever he’s not looking confused or gormless, he pulls it...)? His character being laden with colloquial terms out of character with the Doctor’s own dialect doesn’t help either “Oi, Adam, me old mate!” The story itself lacks any grit or punch whatsoever, and as with the 2000s stories in general, has aged to a far greater degree than the Classic stories I am currently viewing. If I were an older classic fan watching this back in 2005, I’d have almost certainly considered quitting NuWho at this stage, to be honest. Simon Pegg is reasonable as the villain, and there are a few reasonable touches of suspense here and there, but I’ll admit that at this stage, I’m already fed up of the era on re-watch. Still, things do improve from this stage, thankfully.

2010s “Amy’s Choice”:
Although the soap opera aspects of the story between Amy and Rory do grate somewhat on repeat viewings, this is still easily one of the best NuWho stories, if not as good as I remembered. The central concept behind the story is rather surreal and unique for NuWho (with shades of The Mind Robber), there’s a very well realised atmosphere on display (whilst the village setting populated by lumbering zombies coupled with comedic undertones rather reminds me of “Shaun of the Dead”), and Smith is especially good here. Toby Jones is appropriately sinister also, and it’s a shame Simon Nye didn’t write more for Who. Although I will admit that the story itself isn’t quite as bizarre or as esoteric as it should have been- in spite of the interesting ideas on display, there is an all too conventional vibe to the episode, perhaps due to the never-changing conventions of NuWho and the lack of variety in the music. Gold’s score isn’t too bad here, but it still dips into maudlin and brass orchestral at times- this isn’t a bad thing on its own per se, but I’m not sure if it really suited this story, and I’m wondering how it could have benefited from a more unorthodox musical score as to compliment the episode’s blending of reality and fiction. Still, this is certainly really rather good for NuWho.

The 60s certainly has the best characterisation, whilst the 70s has the best overall stuntwork and direction (and to be honest, the 2010s also stood out rather reasonably this time).

574Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st December 2019, 12:54 pm

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

The Keys Of Marinus

Although I'm awfully fond of '60s Who and adore Hartnell's portrayal in general,  I attempted a rewatch of this story last night, but couldn't make it past the third episode.  Ye Gods, it's dull - the series's first misstep, I think.  The only bit I found remotely entertaining was in the second episode (The Velvet Web) when Barbara wakes up and sees the shabby reality of her surroundings, whilst her companions see the opposite.
A shame - there are some good ideas, but the episodes are just so empty and flat. Not Terry Nation's finest moment.
Plus, the DVD contains hardly any extras or features.  Disappointed.

575Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 23 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 1st December 2019, 2:58 pm

REDACTED

The Wheel In Space (1968) CD

I finally got round to listening to this and to be honest, I don't understand why this story is disliked. Yes, its far from being the Cybermen's greatest outing and it certainly isn't as good as the other stories of Season 5 but for the most part it is quite a entertaining way to kill a couple of hours with its lovely and tense atmosphere and an strong debut for Wendy Padbury's Zoe.

The Wheel In Space is far from being the Cybermen's finest hour and it isn't going to win awards for being the best of the season or the 60s. But it is still an entertaining romp and doesn't deserve its reputation as being the misfire of the season. 3/5.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum