Tanmann
stengos
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worst Hartnell story Empty Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 9:35 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Which is the worst Hartnell story? I like the vast majority of his stories, though I probably gravitate towards The Web Planet due to the fact that I have to be in a very particular mood to watch it and enjoy it.

2Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 10:21 am

iank

iank

Marinus. Boring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 10:24 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I actually really enjoy that one- it’s objectively crap, but I love the variety of location in Marinus and how adventurous it is. There are some truly woeful scenes in it, though.

4Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 12:41 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I love Marinus, it's one of my favourite Hartnell stories. It's a story, along with the Chase, that makes me wish that we got more "videogame-esque" stories, where the Doctor travels to a different location every episode.
As for worst Hartnell story, definitely Celestial Toymaker. I don't even think that the visuals would help with how dull the story is.

5Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 12:43 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Oh- I forgot about the fact that I saw the recon of that fairly recently. It really was shit- the surviving episode makes it seem a lot better than it actually is, given that it’s by far the best of the bunch.

6Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 12:47 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I didn't feel that way at all. Even without the visuals, I found Toymaker to be very enchanting and fun.

Gunfighters would be my least favourite. I still like it a lot for its humour and impressive sets. Dodo looks very nice in that one.

7Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 12:49 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Commander Maxil wrote:I didn't feel that way at all. Even without the visuals, I found Toymaker to be very enchanting and fun.

Gunfighters would be my least favourite. I still like it a lot for its humour and impressive sets. Dodo looks very nice in that one.
Fair enough. Toymaker might work more for me if the visuals existed, I guess. It seems to rely on the visual medium quite heavily.

I quite like The Gunfighters myself (most seem to loathe it), though I like all of the historical stories to varying degrees.

8Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 12:52 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:

I quite like The Gunfighters myself (most seem to loathe it),  though I like all of the historical stories to varying degrees.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gunfighters a lot. The idea that it's one of the worst serials ever is complete bollocks. There's plenty of enjoyable moments in there. Yeah, I absolutely adore the historical stories. I've learned more about history from them than I ever did at school.

9Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 1:15 pm

stengos

stengos

I have never really liked either The Ark or Edge of Destruction.

10Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 1:24 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I quite like Edge of Destruction.

I'll probably go with The Web Planet. I do admire its ambition and imagination, but it was pretty boring in the end.

11Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 22nd August 2019, 2:06 pm

Ludders

Ludders

The Gunfighters.
A complete waste of time from start to finish.

12Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 27th August 2019, 8:59 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'm going to have to change it to The Savages. At least Gunfighters had some entertainment value and a funny script. I tried watching The Savages earlier and I just couldn't get through it. The reconstruction was good, but the dialogue was so flat and uninspired and the acting was just wretched.

13Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 8:11 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

'The Celestial Toymaker'.  As much as I like Michael Gough, I find this story repetitive, dull and just a little too silly.  Although I admire its weirdness, I'm not really a fan of the more fantasy-based Who tales - 'The Mind Robber', for instance, leaves me cold as well.  Four episodes of clowns, ballerinas, the King and Queen of Hearts, a Billy Bunter clone, childish games and a partially absent Hartnell on holiday were too much for me, I'm afraid.  I still fancy Dodo, though.

Last edited by Kaijuko on 2nd October 2019, 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

14Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 8:45 am

iank

iank

I totally agree.

Aside from the Dodo part. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

15Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 8:48 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Kaijuko wrote:'The Celestial Toymaker'.  As much as I like Michael Gough, I find this story repetitive, dull and just a little too silly.  Although I admire its weirdness, I'm not really a fan of the more fantasy-based Who tales - 'The Mind Robber', for instance, leaves me cold as well.  Four Recon episodes of clowns, ballerinas, the King and Queen of Hearts, a Billy Bunter clone, childish games and a partially absent Hartnell on holiday were too much for me, I'm afraid.  I still fancy Dodo, though.
Agreed about Toymaker-it’s an admirably surreal idea badly realised-though I love The Mind Robber myself.

16Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 9:08 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Bernard Marx wrote:
Kaijuko wrote:'The Celestial Toymaker'.  As much as I like Michael Gough, I find this story repetitive, dull and just a little too silly.  Although I admire its weirdness, I'm not really a fan of the more fantasy-based Who tales - 'The Mind Robber', for instance, leaves me cold as well.  Four Recon episodes of clowns, ballerinas, the King and Queen of Hearts, a Billy Bunter clone, childish games and a partially absent Hartnell on holiday were too much for me, I'm afraid.  I still fancy Dodo, though.
Agreed about Toymaker-it’s an admirably surreal idea badly realised-though I love The Mind Robber myself.

I do find episode 1 of 'The Mind Robber' to be quite marvellous - bleak and surreal; something that '60s television did so well. It's certainly not as annoyingly whimsical as 'The Celestial Toymaker'.

Last edited by Kaijuko on 16th September 2019, 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

17Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 9:26 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

iank wrote:I totally agree.

LOL  

I think she's lovely.

18Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 3:05 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

The Celestial Toymaker and Planet of Giants... Oh fuck me, that's insanely boring...

19Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 16th September 2019, 3:16 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Kaijuko wrote:
iank wrote:I totally agree.

LOL  

I think she's lovely.

So do I. Glad I'm not alone Wink

20Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 6th February 2020, 7:33 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Toymaker is a classic. They should seriously think about animating that one soon.

21Worst Hartnell story Empty Re: Worst Hartnell story 6th February 2020, 9:54 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

It'd be easy for me to say something like the Massacre, the Smugglers, or the Savages is boring - but then I've never really seen them (and most things are boring as recons). I can only imagine how good Evil of the Daleks must be, as I actually enjoy watching the recon.

Of the existing stories, I think The Chase is a first-class, grade-A, sleep aid. I only stayed awake past episode two once. Most times I'm out half way through episode 1.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum