Arthur Stengos
Jonzu77
43 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 42]

976Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 3rd August 2019, 11:57 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Burrunjor wrote:Still things may be looking up. The backlash to Jodie has been bigger than ANYTHING against Star Wars or even Star Trek.

Look at Jodie's rotten tomatoes score. Look at Alteroi, Nerdrotic, Bowlestrek etc. Its definitely come too late, but in the long run I think might cause the dominant fan opinion to change. Jodie has shown them that actually all change isn't good, and that if you adopt that attitude Jodie and Missy are where you end up.

Yeah, but the thing that concerns me is not only has it come too late but that so many of them seem to think that the problems began with Chibnall and Whittaker and see the hypothetical return of Davies or Moffat as the solution which could lead to any changes implemented to fix the show simply being to arrest it into a mellified Davies/Tennant approach into perpetuity.

It seems that many of the fans are willing to tolerate stupid but boring and stupid is where they draw the line and that just isn't good enough.

977Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 3rd August 2019, 11:58 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Tanmann wrote:Or maybe Rotten Tomatoes just has more than a few bad apples.

That much is certain.

978Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 7:02 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

‘a mellified Davies/Tennant approach into perpetuity’.
Exactly. The mainstream still perceive the Tennant era as the new golden age of Who, so will use that as its template for where to go back to. As part of the generation who grew up with the RTD era, most my age loathe the Whittaker era, but crave a return to the Tennant era (at least based on fans I’ve personally spoken to)- an idea that doesn’t exactly fill me with hope for the future.

Rotten Tomatoes only rated real Who after the series 11 backlash, the bastards. The IMDb scores look positively accurate by comparison.

979Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 10:55 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Just look at some of these "reviews":

"Battlefield," the first story from the classic series' final season, may even be the perfect example of everything that was wrong with the McCoy era of "Doctor Who."

"The final season of Doctor Who in the "classic" era goes out on a whimper."

"Despite it's best intentions, Battlefield is Who at it most unimaginative, hopelessly tied to its own story at the expense of actual fleshed-out characters."

Most of the reviews are about Battlefield, not Season 26 as a whole.

980Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 10:57 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

As I said, RT have selectively implemented sporadic reviews for different stories, so the scores are inherently deceptive. Season 26 is a prime example.

Oh- and the radio times reviewer Patrick Mulkern fronts many of the reviews they have listed. Was he the one who gave Arachnids five stars and Remembrance three stars?

981Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 11:13 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I wouldn't take these reviewers even remotely seriously. One clueless geezer from Radio Times gave Remembrance only three stars but gave five stars to Arachnids in the UK, one of the absolute worst efforts of the Whittaker era. They're a decidedly odd bunch.

982Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 11:17 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Arachnids made it clearer than ever that the new Chibnall regime don't even understand what they're doing with the show anymore.

I can only assume the RT reviewer either is clueless, or doesn't even pay attention to the sci-fi plot bits of the episodes, only the special effects and the emotional scenes.

983Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 11:19 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Patrick Mulkern, yes. He’s clearly an idiot. He seemed to have a grudge against the Williams era as well, based on his one star review for The Horns Of Nimon (where he also criticises City Of Death) and his five star review of The Leisure Hive. And surely every effort from the Whittaker era was utter shite anyway? Though Arachnids is probably the most inane of the bunch.

984Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 11:25 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Bernard Marx wrote:And surely every effort from the Whittaker era was utter shite anyway? Though Arachnids is probably the most inane of the bunch.

Well, I could at least see what her first three episodes were meant to be getting at, and I could see some ways of tweaking those episodes into something better and more substantial, or at least more finished. But Arachnids was just bloody unsalvageable and didn't seem to have a clue what it was trying to get across and yet kept saying its message very loudly anyway.

985Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 11:29 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I found the first three incredibly dull and simplistic in nature as well, though I agree that they weren’t as oppressively fucking dreadful as Arachnids, which convinced me to give up on the season altogether due to its schizophrenic messages, patronisingly awful dialogue, appalling performances and a nauseating abundance on idiotic pop cultural references which made the Davies era look intellectually enriching by comparison.

986Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 1:48 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

I've said it before, but Arachnids was without a doubt the single worst piece of fiction I've ever had the displeasure to experience in any storytelling medium. It takes a superhuman lack of talent to produce something that dire. Shudder

987Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 2:08 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

My assessment is not too different to yours at all. It’d take aeons to dissect how shit it is. Smile

988Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 6:19 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Part 2

989Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 4th August 2019, 7:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Would be so cool to have her on the forum.

990Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:07 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

More than 1100 likes for this bullshit.

Could NuWho fans be any more fucking dense?

Series 11 - Page 40 Facepa11

991Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:10 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

ClockworkOcean wrote:

More than 1100 likes for this bullshit.

Could NuWho fans be any more fucking dense?

Series 11 - Page 40 Facepa11

I dread to think what the comment section looks like...

992Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:12 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ll have a look myself, though I fear that it will cause my sanity to decline.

993Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:22 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I think even they know now that it's very hard to defend Series 11.

994Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:24 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Some twats describing it as ‘brilliant’, others as ‘Classic Who esque’. Quite a few seem pissed off, though seem to want Moffat and RTD back. No one seems to understand real Who anymore...

995Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 7:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'm very close to a Whittaker fan.

I mean, my willy just loves her!

996Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 12th August 2019, 11:27 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Think with the BIG head, Maxil......

997Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 10th September 2019, 5:30 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

998Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 10th September 2019, 8:36 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Bowls ain't worth it anymore. All of that ire is so manufactured you'd swear he was a parody account now.

999Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 10th September 2019, 8:40 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Zarius wrote:Bowls ain't worth it anymore. All of that ire is so manufactured you'd swear he was a parody account now.
I have to agree, sadly. He seems to spout the same rhetoric in every video now- at least his early videos were genuine attempts to analyse the state of the programme at hand and were often quite good in that respect. They don’t have any nuance anymore whatsoever.

1000Series 11 - Page 40 Empty Re: Series 11 11th September 2019, 9:16 am

Lunchtoiletdweller

Lunchtoiletdweller

The only good thing I can say about season 11 is that I liked the look of the steampunk dalek. Other than that it was pretty much crap

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum