You are not connected. Please login or register

The Faceless Ones Animation (I'm pissed)

+10
Kaijuko
UncleDeadly
Rob Filth
iank
Fendelman
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Ludders
stengos
Bernard Marx
burrunjor
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I remember one reader making the absurd claim that Jodie was going to do more seasons than Tom Baker.

When I went on the site during Series 11 the posters in the comment sections that didn't sing the praises of the program and Jodie were immediately questioned and mocked by the most pretentious idiots I've ever seen. Even constructive criticism of the episodes didn't seem to be tolerated.

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Now watched the new animated Faceless Ones and happy to report was relatively unscathed by any 'New Who' pollution.

That (brief) glimpse of Delgado's image seemed a little incongruous, although at least still classic series related I suppose. As for the 'New Poo' Master image, well it's only because I'd been tipped off in advance that I was even aware of it at all - otherwise it might as well have been anybody being depicted, as meaningless (and unfamiliar because unwatched) as 'New Who' is to me.

I think the animation brings this story to life in a way that stills and audio alone just can't. So it's something of a relief to be able to recommend this release as a new way to enjoy some classic 'True Who' featuring the great Patrick Troughton.

Ludders

Ludders

Great to hear that. I’ll be getting it as soon as it’s out in Aus. 😎

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Enjoyed it - I didn't find the few brief nods to NuWho too offensive (and there are some nice touches to appeal to classic Who fans too - watch out for clever little references/allusions in the name of newspapers and newspaper headlines seen in the episodes).

I'm really grateful that we get the chance to watch these missing tales but I must admit, I'm getting a bit tired of the same basic cartoony animation style they use.  Can't they spend a bit more money and make slightly more sophisticated animation?

Musn't grumble...

iank

iank

This is supposed to be out here in a fortnight. Whether JB will actually still be open by then is anyone's guess..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

iank

iank

My Blu ray copy of The Faceless Ones turned up today (had to order it from JB since they're not taking cash payments anymore due to the plague).

Ludders

Ludders

iank wrote:My Blu ray copy of The Faceless Ones turned up today (had to order it from JB since they're not taking cash payments anymore due to the plague).

What's the verdict? (Presuming you can manage to tear yourself away from old Neighbours episodes) Wink

I'm waiting until it comes down in price a bit. Although I'm more interested in this one than The Macra Terror, because at least there are some surviving episodes.

iank

iank

Not seen it yet. Probably have a go this week. I did have a gander at episode 1 and the animation looked a bit, er, dodgy, to be honest.

Ludders

Ludders

Fair enough.
I'm hoping Evil of the Daleks won't be too long away. I'll even pay full price for that one. Wink

iank

iank

I have to admit that I'm afraid I just could not get into The Faceless Ones animation at all. It was Power all over again for me. Not sure what the issue was - I loved the part-animated Shada and the wholly animated Macra Terror, but while I've enjoyed the extant episodes in the past, I just found it agonisingly boring. I don't know whether the animation is worse again, whether the actual story is boring, or whether the animators have been held back by having to animate too much or by the largely real-world settings that prevent the kind of visual reimagining Macra Terror enjoyed, but this thing just kept sending me to sleep. Very disappointing.

Or perhaps I was just wishing I was still watching old Neighbours episodes instead. Big Grin Wink

Ludders

Ludders

iank wrote:Or perhaps I was just wishing I was still watching old Neighbours episodes instead. Big Grin Wink

LOL

Maybe you're just not in the right zone for Who at the moment. Wink

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

iank wrote:I have to admit that I'm afraid I just could not get into The Faceless Ones animation at all. It was Power all over again for me. Not sure what the issue was - I loved the part-animated Shada and the wholly animated Macra Terror, but while I've enjoyed the extant episodes in the past, I just found it agonisingly boring. I don't know whether the animation is worse again, whether the actual story is boring, or whether the animators have been held back by having to animate too much or by the largely real-world settings that prevent the kind of visual reimagining Macra Terror enjoyed, but this thing just kept sending me to sleep. Very disappointing.

Or perhaps I was just wishing I was still watching old Neighbours episodes instead. Big Grin Wink
I'll be honest, it may be the story itself (although yes, the animation isn't as vivid as Macra Terror). This feels like a six-parter that could have easily been condensed into a four-parter. Very little is happening, the Doctor's argument with the Commandment is fine the first time, but feels incredibly padded out when he's just constantly trying to convince him, the stakes don't feel as high as they should be (especially when taking to consideration that this is a six-parter), and I'm sorry, the Chameleons' plan make no sense whatsoever. Leaving the humans in a car park? Really? Do they honestly think that no one is going to check on cars that have been hanging around for ages? Also the disappearance of 55000 people, in such a short time is going to raise massive suspicion. We also never get any details as to why the Chameleons are doing something like this. The Faceless Ones feels like it's either putting up too little details in such a drawn out way or not answering the bigger questions at all. So yeah, I'm judging this on a story basis, and find it to be so disappointing especially with how brilliant The Moonbase and The Macra Terror actually were. Not a strong story.

iank

iank

Yeah, maybe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum