You are not connected. Please login or register

Is anyone else envious that they can't enjoy nuwho like other people of a similar age seem to?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

We are close to the dénouement of a series of Doctor Who.
On Twitter and various websites there is palpable excitement.
Who is Ruth? How is she the Doctor? The Cybermen are back!

I can understand and summarily dismiss the excitement of teens and early 20's who grew up with nuwho. This after all is THEIR Doctor Who.
They feel as connected to their version of Doctor Who as I did in the 1980's.

The people I don't understand are contemporaries who seem to be totally enamoured with post 2005 Doctor Who. fans who are in love with Jodie's portrayal of the Doctor and Chibnall's social justice version of Doctor Who.

These are people who grew up with the sensibilities of Hinchcliffe/Holmes or Eric Saward/Andrew Cartmel, and yet they seem to love and embrace the current version.

I've tried...i've really tried to shut off my brain, relax and try to love nuwho but I just can't. Everything makes me angry.

I'm sick of being negative.
I want to enjoy Doctor Who again and I'm very jealous of people my age and older who seem to be loving it all.

Are they lying, and just bullshitting to be "on the right side of history" or do they genuinely love this stuff?

iank

iank

I think they're full of it personally. Either that or they only ever latched onto Who for completely different reasons to the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I used to be envious that I couldn't quite get into the happiness cult party spirit as much as the rest of the fanbase, or love and enjoy the show as much as they did. I wanted to, and occasionally (Dalek, Father's Day, Girl in the Fireplace, Rings of Akhaten) I think I even managed to.

Then Death in Heaven happened and finally I was almost liberated by the feeling of being more embarrassed at their hysterical cheerleading than envious.

I am sadly of the mind that fandom began to turn into something of an irrational cult back in the early 80's, who treated the Doctor's ethics, preachings and pieties as a religion to be lived by, no matter how insane they got (i.e. Warriors of the Deep). Or maybe it happened even earlier than that, back in the Pertwee era.

I would venture that most of the New Who cheerleaders probably, like me, see the grim, nihilistic sensibilities of Eric Saward as a grotesque mistake (I've even known some of them describe the best, dark Big Finish audios the same way) and the RTD era as a needed, overdue corrective. And it might be that they see RTD's corrective as so necessary that they'd follow it to the ends of the Earth.

I think I kind of get the appeal to them of the revived show. That it is in many ways so wrong, but connected to a universe and characters they once loved, that they have to work to make it fit and comprehend how it's changed now, and have to rush to keep up with the new rules. And in a way that becomes to them I suppose alluring and exhilarating. It even was to me, at first, but once I fell out of that spell I couldn't get back into it.

I can only imagine maybe some of those fans still find the same thrill from the Ruth retcon.

I honestly could actually understand maybe fans enjoying the Series 11 stuff as just a bit of light, untaxing viewing. But Series 12 seems a lot more indigestible to me.

But like I've said elsewhere, I think the problem is that they're neck-deep in 2005's happiness/wellbeing cult. A time when everyone was into Yoga, reaching the 'inner child', and team-building work exercises, and thought they had to be positive and zany all the way in order to fit with the culture.

Given how furiously many of them will defend the show on Gallifrey Base, I'd say they've been positively radicalized by that culture into morally despising anyone who can't conform to it or lets 'negativity' get in the way.

It always baffled me in my Uni years why I couldn't manage to feel right in that naughties happiness cult, despite badly wanting to. Now I understand why I couldn't, because it was fake and almost dystopian, I feel relaxed about who I am, rather than who I'm not.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It might also be that their fannish interest lay dormant for a long time, waiting to be fanatically reawoken by the revival, and in the meantime they immersed themselves so much in modern trends that it became their sustenance, and so were ready and primed to love a version of the show done that modern, flashy, emotionally wrought way.

It might also be that they've so often been disappointed by the TV show, and won back again, had their suspension of disbelief broken and restored again and again, and come to the most meta understanding of the show that.... they're kind of immune and resilient to changed premises, silliness, breaks in the quality and flip-flopping tones now.

Or they think it's something they keep having to be.

But also, let's not forget that these are the kind of fans who need to always externalize their issues with the show. When they belligerently attack more critical fans like us, it's like they're arguing with themselves. Making it about how fans who criticize are being 'too fannish' or 'fanning wrong'. As if they're really trying to shut up the fan and critic within them (infact I distinctly remember one of those sycophantic creeps admitting he does as such to his inner critic while he was having a go at me for my rant against Love & Monsters).

stengos

stengos

I just don't like the series as it has been since 2005. I don't feel jealous of those who do like it in any way. Good luck to them. I just:

... still watch but am prone to criticise. Its the closest thing to a blood sport i have ever been engaged in.
... concentrate on other shows for enjoyment.

Strangely, I have developed a strong dislike of the showrunners and their supporters. I don't usually do this with other shows i dislike. I am not sure why but RTD and Moffy really set my nerves on ege when they are interviewed and start holding forth. The same for Gatiss despite the fact i have liked some of his stuff in the past - e.g., First Men in the Moon, Martin's Close, An Adventure in Space and Time, the two episodes of Randall and Hopkirk he did.

iank

iank

It's because they carry on like they own a nearly 60 year old show, instead of being (and having been) mere caretakers of it decades after its inception. And they seem to believe that being in the role of caretaker gives them license to graffiti the entire institution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The dick-waving in the show is definitely the divider line between team-New Who older fans and I suppose the likes of us.

I think the view most of the pro-New Who fans have come to have, is to see the show as one long series of experiments, that occasionally produce realm sparks of magic and alchemy that no other show can (in that light, I suppose you could say Kerblam! was that for Series 11). And I could probably get behind that, and be open to that.

Like I've said, I was more behind the Eccleston and early Tennant era than not, as I did see its 'joy de vie' as a needed reform of the show from the suicide cult it had degenerated into in the 80's (and too much of the spin-off media since).

The problem is, it wasn't a show that seemed to want to get us behind that wild experiment approach by means of genuine charm and slowly winning you over. On the contrary, there was a nasty sense of RTD waving his dick in the faces of fans and like a child, going "is this annoying you yet? Am I getting you all to meltdown yet?"

And the problem is, a lot of the pro-RTD fans either somehow didn't notice this repetitious, obnoxious, on-the-nose overtone, or they're the ones too busy cheering it on to be annoyed at it.

The approach isn't just vandalism, it's also incredibly cliquey. The fans who enjoy it are in on the nasty in-joke and that's why they enjoy it. The rest of us have to suffer the recieving end of it, just because some fan writers like abusing their authority to pick petty fan fights.

Ludders

Ludders

No I'm not envious. I was fortunate enough to grow up with not only the classic series, but the best or one of the best eras of the classic series. Therefore I have no need to be envious.
If I've ever experienced envy, it would be for those who are old enough to have started with An Unearthly Child, rather than Spearhead From Space as I did.
Having said that, whilst I'm not envious, I'm not resentful either. I don't give a shit what the average NuWho fan thinks of the classic series or its fans; but also I'm not wanking over the low viewing figures, or how shit the stories are every week. I'm not rooting for it to be cancelled, because i'm not the slightest bit interested in one way or the other whether it succeeds or fails. I'm long past that stage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum