iank
Fendelman
Pepsi Maxil
Tanmann
REDACTED
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:33 pm

REDACTED

Which tales have you gradually lost enjoyment and affection for over time.

My picks would be The Dalek Invasion Of Earth, The Mind Of Evil, The Brain Of Morbius and Planet Of Fire to name a few.

2Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:34 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Cushing movies, definitely have lost their effect for me. They were magic at 11. They're like wallpaper now.

3Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:36 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Daleks, The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Warriors of the Deep, The Caves of Androzani, Ghost Light, Survival.

4Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:52 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Frontios - It used to be a favorite, but the last time I watched it I just couldn't get into it.

5Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:53 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Warriors of the Deep

I suspect that might be a tad my fault... Wink

6Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 8th February 2020, 11:55 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Warriors of the Deep

I suspect that might be a tad my fault... Wink

Thanks a lot LOL You didn't succeed in making me hate it, though. I still find it entertaining despite the glaring flaws.

7Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 7:52 am

iank

iank

I can't really think of any. I may turn something off simply because I'm not in the mood occasionally, but I don't hold the story responsible. Generally speaking, if I liked a story when I first saw it, I like it now.

Classic Who, anyway. New Who often fails to hold up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

8Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 11:55 am

stengos

stengos

Tomb of the Cybermen. I used to love it but the last time i watched it (last year) it felt a bit amateurish. That maybe the wrong word but i didn't really enjoy it.

The story is great. Its just the tv production.

9Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 11:57 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I always thought Tomb was a tad overrated.

The American pilot always set my teeth on edge.

10Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 1:01 pm

REDACTED

It's flawed but it has an undeniable magic to it. It's a charming B movie.

The Dalek Invasion Of Earth is a B movie without any charm sadly, despite the odd moment of iconic imagery.

11Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 1:09 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Invasion of Earth is a Richard Martin horror show! He was very much the Ed Wood of Doctor Who.

12Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 2:01 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Horror of Fang Rock.
Still good and a brilliant atmosphere. But I kinda find it a bit too dour for my liking, and almost all of the side characters are damn near detestable. The good ones get killed off too early for me to like them.

Likewise, Tomb of the Cybermen.
Again, still good and has some of my favourite moments (the Doctor's interactions with Jamie and Victoria), but I find it funny when people harp on Toberman for apparently being a racist stereotype, when all of the side characters are stereotypes (especially the American guy).

13Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 2:07 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Aztecs. Bored me to tears when I watched it the other week. Definitely my least favourite historical adventure from the Hartnell era.

14Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 2:12 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Aztecs. Bored me to tears when I watched it the other week. Definitely my least favourite historical adventure from the Hartnell era.
Yeah- I never really got the appeal of it either. It’s a decent script, but let down by some abundantly stagy and uninspired direction.

15Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 7:22 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

None really.

If anything, I've only actually gained love for serials I previously didn't particularly enjoy. Probably because I consider modern so-called Doctor Who to be so dreadful, even the lesser serials seem comparatively superior.

16Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 9th February 2020, 9:07 pm

iank

iank

Agreed. I've gained back a lot of affection for some stories I'd gone off lately, like Castrovalva.

17Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 16th February 2020, 2:08 pm

REDACTED

I used to quite enjoy The Visitation. Tried watching it a while back and just couldn't get into it. Saward's script is pretty solid and the dialogue is mostly good but some of the acting and the direction lets it down and the whole thing just feels pretty dull to be honest.

18Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 16th February 2020, 2:16 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Some of the Sixties stuff. I''m only really in the mood for the JNT era at the moment.

19Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 16th February 2020, 2:22 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:I used to quite enjoy The Visitation. Tried watching it a while back and just couldn't get into it. Saward's script is pretty solid and the dialogue is mostly good but some of the acting and the direction lets it down and the whole thing just feels pretty dull to be honest.

I think the period is mostly well captured onscreen, but it it loses something the moment we begin to see the Terileptils and their tacky robot, especially in their overlit control room. I think if they'd just been in medieval cloaks for the whole serial, the juxtaposition could've worked.

And certainly I think it needed to pick up the pace a bit. But it seems that with the exception of State of Decay, Peter Moffatt's directing was always quite leaden.

20Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 17th February 2020, 8:13 am

iank

iank

Further to the thread the other day, I think I've found one in Invasion of Time.

21Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 17th February 2020, 9:07 am

Zarius

Zarius

Keys of Marinus (only can get by pretending it's a Cyberman story these days), Planet of Giants, Android Invasion (except for that phony Sarah cliffhanger), Sunmakers, both of Holmes' stories for Key to Time.

22Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 17th February 2020, 9:09 am

iank

iank

You wash your fucking mouth out.

23Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 17th February 2020, 7:24 pm

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Have to say Masque of Mandragora.

I really should love it...
It features arguably the best loved TARDIS team of all time, the acting is great especially Jon Laurimore as Count Federico and Norman Jones as Hieronymous.
It's set in an interesting period of earth history, and the location work at Portmeirion is beautiful.

But Something (for me at least) is missing.
I thought it was OK, but over the years I've enjoyed it less and less...

24Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 17th February 2020, 8:20 pm

Ludders

Ludders

The only one I can think of at the moment is Revenge of the Cybermen. I've never had a problem enjoying it, but on a recent rewatch I struggled to maintain interest.

Lord Pertwee's Knob wrote:Have to say Masque of Mandragora.

I really should love it...
It features arguably the best loved TARDIS team of all time, the acting is great especially Jon Laurimore as Count Federico and Norman Jones as Hieronymous.
It's set in an interesting period of earth history, and the location work at Portmeirion is beautiful.

But Something (for me at least) is missing.
I thought it was OK, but over the years I've enjoyed it less and less...

Interestingly, I've recently had exactly the opposite experience, after unexpectedly enjoying it more than I ever have before.

25Serials you've lost a lot of love for. Empty Re: Serials you've lost a lot of love for. 28th March 2020, 6:43 pm

REDACTED

Not really a serial but nowadays I struggle with a large chunk of the Hartnell era. I still rate his Doctor highly but I've sorta gone off most the era.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum