You are not connected. Please login or register

Has any of the anti-Jodie backlash crossed the line for you?

+6
stengos
Zarius
iank
Pepsi Maxil
REDACTED
Tanmann
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It seems like a lot of fandom, of multiple tiers, has thrown in the towel with the current Jodie era.

But are there points where you think the revolt by some of them has gone too far, broken a principle you believe in, or even left you feeling a bit disgusted/embarrassed?

There are two that stand out for me.

One was the petition set up to actually try and undo the casting of Jodie. It didn't have a chance in hell of succeeding of course, but there seemed a genuine spite of intent to it. I didn't want a female Doctor but I'd never dream of trying to sabotaging any actresses career to make sure she doesn't get that role. And I think it did leave the anti-Jodie backlash open to charges of misogyny because this genuinely was the fans trying to stop a female actress getting a role purely because she's female.

The other is the booing at the BFI Logopolis event, when our old friend Beth offered a Series 11 DVD as a competition prize. That's something I can't help but feel embarrassed by. It's essentially spoiling a competition event and throwing someone's charity back in their face in a way that just seemed unimaginably rude, petty and mean-spirited. I mean I wouldn't even have booed if she'd been offering a copy of Warriors of the Deep or Love & Monsters as the prize.

And yet there was one pretty extremist member on a Classic Who Facebook group I was on (I think he was an ex-member here infact) who honestly said that she should be booed because she might as well have waved a swatsticker at the crowd.

I felt a bit like taking a cold shower after reading that.

So what say you? When has it gone too far for you?

REDACTED

Bowlestrek's birthday video.

Basically Bowlestrek found the photos of Whittaker on set celebrating her birthday and started attacking her over it. His fanbase went after her too and anyone who even wasn't an SJW tried to explain to him that it wasn't that big a deal would get dogpiled.

Basically that was the turning point for me where Bowlestrek's content went from interesting and admirable in calling out bullshit into just another rant channel.

Also some of the death threats the more extreme fans send. I think she's a poor actress, a bad fit for the Doctor and can be a bit obnoxious in interviews but even then threatening her family felt a bit of an overstep.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I remember removing myself from various facebook groups because they started bullying her. The Bowlestrek video is a complete disgrace. Her choice of clothes has nothing to do with the show itself or her performance.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bowlestrek's birthday video.

Basically Bowlestrek found the photos of Whittaker on set celebrating her birthday and started attacking her over it. His fanbase went after her too and anyone who even wasn't an SJW tried to explain to him that it wasn't that big a deal would get dogpiled.

Basically that was the turning point for me where Bowlestrek's content went from interesting and admirable in calling out bullshit into just another rant channel.

Yeah that was pretty tacky. And did make Bowlestrek come off as the idiot there.

Normally I'm inclined to defend him because I know he was more fair and reasonable at one point (hell he actually seemed more open to the idea of doing a female Doctor than I was), and clearly the hate he got has antagonized him to be a lot more angry and belligerent in response where he saw that being reasonable was getting him nowhere (I've definitely been where he is).

Still, being bullied should never really be an excuse for then becoming the bully of someone else.

iank

iank

No, not really. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Zarius

Zarius

The aforementioned Bowlestrek birthday bash, and Noel of TARDIS Zone's recent livestreams.

Noel started out with some insightful insider information about series 12, most of which has come true, but then he got way too popular and got in bed with bowelstrek, regularly having him and Nerderotic on as guests, and he learned, like them, he could gain more like-minded people as subscribers by just venting non-stop about her and Chibnall and shitting on every facet of the show, even when it's at it's most inoffensive.

His dog is classier than he is.

stengos

stengos

Also some of the death threats the more extreme fans send. I think she's a poor actress, a bad fit for the Doctor and can be a bit obnoxious in interviews but even then threatening her family felt a bit of an overstep.

Agreed. It was her birthday. A happy occasion for anyone so leave her alone in that regard.

I admit i was wrong a while ago to criticise her for being unattractive. I regret that now. These days i stick to her unsuitability for the role and culpability for contributing towards the ruination of a show i loved.

There is no need to get personal about these things.

Sorry to sound like a pinko lefty communist. I am getting soft in my old age.

Fendelman

Fendelman

I've watched some of these videos where they crap on the s11-12, and I am right there with them until they say something like - this is not at all like the golden age of Who (and then when I'm expecting to see an image of Tom Baker, they put up a picture of David Tennant). That's like complaining because somebody brought you a pile of zebra shit when you specifically asked for horse shit, because only horse shit will do. Shit is shit.

iank

iank

LOL

burrunjor

burrunjor

stengos wrote:

Agreed. It was her birthday. A happy occasion for anyone so leave her alone in that regard.

I admit i was wrong a while ago to criticise her for being unattractive. I regret that now. These days i stick to her unsuitability for the role and culpability for contributing towards the ruination of a show i loved.

There is no need to get personal about these things.

Sorry to sound like a pinko lefty communist. I am getting soft in my old age.

Nah you're not, making fun of people's looks is always a nasty thing to do I always hated it even when people who are normally funny do it. South Park for instance though capable of being funny, were absolutely pathetic when they went on about Barbara Streisand and Sarah Jessica Parkers looks. If I was either of the South Park boys I'd be deeply embarassed at doing that episode.

I don't think making fun of Jodie's scrunch face counts, as we are not saying she looks ugly, (at least I wasn't) just that her idea of being eccentric is to pull silly faces, pick her nose and go "OOOOOH I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD!" which is crap.

I also made fun of Jon Pertwee (my fave Doctor) when he tried to do pain acting. Seriously watch him every time he gets tortured or electrocuted or shot, he just pulls a silly face. Also John Barrowman as much as I like him can't do gun acting. Every time he fires a gun he pulls a stupid, macho face LOL. The worst is in the Last of the Time Lords when he shoots the paradox machine.

I will say not to bring it up again, but when I look at people like Mr Tardis and Channel Pup going on about how the anti Jodie backlash has gone too far, I think my god good thing these guys weren't Amy Winehouse fans in the 00s. THAT'S a genuine misogynistic backlash.

None of them could have coped with that if they think the Bowlestrek birthday video is horrible. At least he didn't say he hopes she would die soon, that the world would be a less smelly place if she died, make jokes about her cutting herself, or do cartoon videos of her hurling herself at men who vomit in disgust over her and put a paper bag over her head!

Having got that bitter rant out of the way LOL, I do agree that the Bowlestrek birthday video was a big stink over nothing and that when he calls her Doctor Nasty I cringe.

I also was put off Bowlestrek when he went he kept calling Ruby Rose it and a thing. That was really nasty and just plain bullying. I agree with Tanman, that Bowlestrek started out reasonable and fair, but after he got smeared as a racist, homophobe he started to get pissed which is fine. However as Tanman said you don't react that way. I too was smeared as alt right by the likes of Sandifier, told I need to get used to women heroes etc, hell who here hasn't?

burrunjor

burrunjor

Fendelman wrote:I've watched some of these videos where they crap on the s11-12, and I am right there with them until they say something like - this is not at all like the golden age of Who (and then when I'm expecting to see an image of Tom Baker, they put up a picture of David Tennant). That's like complaining because somebody brought you a pile of zebra shit when you specifically asked for horse shit, because only horse shit will do. Shit is shit.

Agreed. Do these guys really think the cracks only started to appear in season 10 at the earliest?

Do not even get me started on the people who say that Missy was excellent but Jodie was crap. I just don't get it?

Missy was worse. At least Jodie's Doctor is well meaning and easy to watch. With Missy not only was there all of the same problems they say ruin Jodie, (actress being cast for PC points, and because she's the producers friend, characters history being rewritten, obnoxious fans bullying anyone who doesn't think she's wonderful, anti men crap, awful stories because the focus is "I'M A WOMAAAAAAAAAAN"! etc, etc.)

She was actually quite unpleasant to watch because all she did was murder innocent people in gruesome, drawn out ways, yet NEVER recieved any kind of punishment for it. In fact the hero would reward her with a kiss!

At least with Jodie I get who were are meant to root for, but with Missy? Were we meant to root for the psycho looney? Who else was there? A cucked, weak hero not caring when she killed people?

I still say that the Capaldi era was the true nadir to be honest. It just annoys me that Moff is going to get away with it. I think thats why he chose Chinballs. Had it been Peter Jackson as was at one point rumoured, then Mofftwat would be shown up as the hack he is.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:The aforementioned Bowlestrek birthday bash, and Noel of TARDIS Zone's recent livestreams.

Noel started out with some insightful insider information about series 12, most of which has come true, but then he got way too popular and got in bed with bowelstrek, regularly having him and Nerderotic on as guests, and he learned, like them, he could gain more like-minded people as subscribers by just venting non-stop about her and Chibnall and shitting on every facet of the show, even when it's at it's most inoffensive.

His dog is classier than he is.

I don't think I've heard Noel's content? Sounds like I'm not missing out on much.

I will say though lets just keep this in perspective. Remember the SJWs did all of this and worse against Moffat from 2010-2017. They accused him of promoting rape, homophobia, sexual assualt, abelism, gassing the mentally ill, classism etc.

They drove him off twitter, their backlash made it into the papers, his reputation was completely ruined. It just became recieved wisdom that he hated women and gay people (as laughable as that sounds.)

All of this is ultimately what led to him chopping the Masters balls off literally, and the Doctors metaphorically.

As obnoxious as some of the not my Doctor crowd have become I still don't think they are as bad as the SJWs were in the 10s, and it annoys me the way that's being forgotten about.

It also pisses me off to see people like 5 who fans, who either ignored or took part in the anti Moffat backlash act all high and mighty over the not my Doctor crowd.

I think, I'm not saying this about anyone here, but I think people are more willing to call out the Not My Doctor crowd's bad behaviour, because they are right wingers and its obviously easier to call them out.

Having said that however, its good that people who are opposed to Jodie calling out similar awful behaviour that Jodie's fans indulged in too.

RussellIsLord

RussellIsLord

Fendelman wrote:I've watched some of these videos where they crap on the s11-12, and I am right there with them until they say something like - this is not at all like the golden age of Who (and then when I'm expecting to see an image of Tom Baker, they put up a picture of David Tennant).

That WAS the golden age of Who. Seriously where have you been all these years? Rolling Eyes

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Rani wrote:
Fendelman wrote:I've watched some of these videos where they crap on the s11-12, and I am right there with them until they say something like - this is not at all like the golden age of Who (and then when I'm expecting to see an image of Tom Baker, they put up a picture of David Tennant).

That WAS the golden age of Who. Seriously where have you been all these years? Rolling Eyes

Rani, I don't know where you've been, but it sounds like the place where the people from Cloud Cuckoo Land go to get away from it all. Big Grin

RussellIsLord

RussellIsLord

Tanmann wrote:
Rani wrote:

Rani, I don't know where you've been, but it sounds like the place where the people from Cloud Cuckoo Land go to get away from it all. Big Grin

Is that where you go after you've finished frapping over Warriors Of The Deep for the umpteenth time? Laughing

REDACTED

Rani wrote:
Tanmann wrote:
Rani wrote:

Is that where you go after you've finished frapping over Warriors Of The Deep for the umpteenth time? Laughing

Ooh boy. A lively discussion! Big Grin

iank

iank

I don't think any criticism of any of the cunts involved in this laughing stock could ever cross the line. Beyond shitting on the grave of the classic series and a once wonderful character, everyone involved is now taking their pants down and defecating and urinating on it at the same time.
They all deserve everything they get.

stengos

stengos

burrunjor wrote:I don't think making fun of Jodie's scrunch face counts, as we are not saying she looks ugly, (at least I wasn't) just that her idea of being eccentric is to pull silly faces, pick her nose and go "OOOOOH I'M SOCIALLY AWKWARD!" which is crap.

I also made fun of Jon Pertwee (my fave Doctor) when he tried to do pain acting. Seriously watch him every time he gets tortured or electrocuted or shot, he just pulls a silly face. Also John Barrowman as much as I like him can't do gun acting. Every time he fires a gun he pulls a stupid, macho face LOL. The worst is in the Last of the Time Lords when he shoots the paradox machine.

In, i think, "Spearhead" Pertwee is struggling with a Nestene tentacle wrapped 'round him and he pulls the oddest of faces. Always makes me laugh.

Jodie's gurning is ridiculous and thats a critcism of her acting ability - what she does - and not sthg she can do anything about. She has control over how she acts the role. What her face looks like is sthg entirely different.

Sorry. probbably didnt even need saying.

Fendelman

Fendelman

I actually thought that birthday dress would have made a way better doctor costume than the one she got, seems like something Romana II would have had. A Romana show would have made so much more sense than a female doctor (probably still would have had shit writing), but at least it would have had the possibility of being good.

Mott1

Mott1

I think it's one of the requirements of the role. McCoy used to love a good gurn when he was giving a dramatic speech. But then he didn't have the left of centre media (and much of the right of centre media) gushing over him and promoting him.

I find it odd Pertwee struggled at pain or threat acting, pulling rubbery faces etc, he must have a few scares in his younger days in the Navy etc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum