You are not connected. Please login or register

How much of a fan should a showrunner be?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How much of a fan should a showrunner be? Empty How much of a fan should a showrunner be? 25th January 2020, 3:54 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

(Something of a continuation of my other threads on Chibnall)

It seems like with every New Who showrunner we've had, the problem on some level comes down to each of them being too much of a fan.

Whether it be that they indulge too much fanwank in the show (Doomsday, A Good Man Goes To War), whether they've come to see the Doctor almost as a God-like deity whose morality should be law, or they want to vindicate their own theories about the Doctor's unseen romantic/sex life, or canonize their own Doctor-Master shipper fiction, or they just clearly are desperate for their favourite show to be publicly adored and cool in the schoolyards again.

At the same time, I don't think any of us would've been interested in Big Finish if it was run by an outfit of writers with no feel or understanding of the show.

If the revival was given to a showrunner who wasn't a fan at all, in some ways it might be better. The show might've been free of those fannish neuroses. But just as easily it could've meant a show not unlike the planned 1996 Fox series which seemed to fundamentally understand almost nothing about the show or the Doctor and gave him completely different origins and mission statement.

And certainly in 2005 the BBC didn't seem to care about ensuring the revival was true to the letter or spirit of the original show. So maybe under a non-fan who didn't get the show, it could've been even more apocryphal.

So what's the key to being the right kind of fan in charge?

iank

iank

Frankly, and with all due modesty, someone like me. Big Grin
In all seriousness, someone who actually loves and respects the classic series, is not a self-loathing prat embarrassed by it, and who thinks the only "modernisation" that was ever needed was special effects and production values, not twisting the central character out of all recognition and dumbing him and the show down to the lowest common denominator of modern "culture".
Why that's so hard to find or do is beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

In fairness to Moffat, he did seem to try to brain the series up a bit after the idiocy of RTD.
But on the one hand he seemed to have the BBC coming down on him, insisting he dumb it down again and make it more like RTD's. And at the same time he seemed to overreach and just lose his own plot to how convoluted he let it get, or would just write himself into various corners.

Then again, his problem was often he didn't get the difference between being clever and being smart-arsed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum