+5
Tanmann
stengos
Pepsi Maxil
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Doctor7
9 posters

Which of Davison’s seasons is his best?

Best Peter Davison season I_vote_lcap50%Best Peter Davison season I_vote_rcap 50% [ 6 ]
Best Peter Davison season I_vote_lcap17%Best Peter Davison season I_vote_rcap 17% [ 2 ]
Best Peter Davison season I_vote_lcap33%Best Peter Davison season I_vote_rcap 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Peter Davison season Empty Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 4:06 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Which season of Davison’s tenure is his strongest? I’m honestly completely undecided on this one...

2Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 4:10 pm

Doctor7

I do like episodes from each his seasons ! I ultimately went with his first which has kinda,castravalva,black orchid,earthshock

3Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 4:20 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Honestly, Season 21 is the one I can like the most. Warriors is absolutely trite, but I find the Awakening and Frontios really underrated, and while Resurrection is objectively a complete mess, I can watch it and find entertainment value in it. I always blank out on Planet of Fire, but Caves is the best regeneration story bar none.

4Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 5:45 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Season 19. A wonderful season with many great stories and a nice style. Kinda, Black Orchid and Earthshock are absolutely brilliant. I even quite like the weaker stuff like Four to Doomsday and Time-Flight.

5Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 5:49 pm

stengos

stengos

Season 21. Brilliant.

I like all three seasons but Resurrection, Planet of Fire, Warriors, Frontios, the Awakening and Androzani make this the most enjoyable.

Twin Dilemna is a fine story - the book is very good imho - but the production lets it down for me.

6Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 7:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I voted Season 19.

It feels very soapy and plastic overall, particularly the companions, and yet there is a new age charm to enough of it, and moments of excitement, and Davison actually comes off more of a champ than usual for his era. When it really comes to life with Earthshock, it's one of the most thrilling stories and one that really makes me suspend my disbelief concerning the Cybermen and the threat to Earth. Sadly it all rather falls apart with Time-Flight.

Season 20 is just depressingly dull and feels lethargic and directionless, despite the presence of the jewel in the era, Enlightenment (Snakedance almost is, but it can't escape feeling like a forced sequel based on contrivances that ends up exhausting its mystique in the end). It feels less like a commemorative marking of the show's lifespan, and more an exercise in putting years on the series.

Season 21 was the point where JNT and Saward really outstayed their welcome.

Although technically it's a better season than 20 in terms of having more incident and excitement, for me it's forever tarnished by Warriors of the Deep. The most unforgivable disgrace the show ever let get past commissioning stage, let alone broadcast., which frankly makes Terrance Dicks and Robert Holmes look like they were wasting their time all along trying to develop the Doctor into an admirable, intelligent hero if this story was just going to jettison all their careful, hard work in one go.

As for the rest of the season, The Awakening probably has a good story in there but it's over before you can blink. Frontios starts strong but somehow gets convoluted and forgettable. Resurrection is again another misanthropic mess. Planet of Fire just feels like a slow tick-boxing exercise. Caves is fantastic and almost redeems Davison from his criminal negligence at the start of the season. Twin Dilemma is just shite, but I'm not sure it should really count in this discussion.

7Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 10:25 pm

REDACTED

1: Season 21 (1984): Warriors Of The Deep is terrible and Resurrection Of The Daleks is underwhelming, but the rest of the stories are rather good, climaxing with the masterpiece that is Androzani.
2: Season 19 (1982): 19 is good overall and has three classics in the form of The Visitation, Black Orchid and Earthshock yet it is let down by Four To Doomsday and Time Flight. Also the characterizations of Adric and Tegan knock it down a peg.
3: Season 20 (1983): In all honesty, I haven't seen 20 in a long time, and I remember Snakedance, Mawdryn and Enlightenment being rather good and The Five Doctors is a classic. but the other stories I remember finding them to be being quite forgettable. Not a bad season, but my least favorite of the three.

Sorry if this post was a bit weird, but I'm just experimenting with my old style of reviewing.

Last edited by Mercury on 15th August 2019, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 10:26 pm

iank

iank

Unpopular opinion: It's season 20. Snakedance is great, the BG trilogy is great and TFD is great. The companions are less shit at acting this season too. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

9Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 15th August 2019, 10:39 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve still no idea as to which season to vote for. I think that season 19 is pretty inconsistent (Castrovalva is incredibly directionless for its first half, as is Four to Doomsday and The Visitation, and Time-Flight is fucking shit, but the other three stories are all great), season 20 is underrated and better than people say (I love Snakedance, Mawdryn and Enlightenment, and don’t know why Terminus gets so much flack, and enjoy The Five Doctors too, though Arc Of Infinity and King’s Demons are utter shite), and season 21 is yet again inconsistent but with higher highs (Caves Of Androzani) and lower lows (Warriors of the Deep). They’re all quite close together overall. I need more time to consider this.

10Best Peter Davison season Empty Re: Best Peter Davison season 16th August 2019, 3:23 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Could've sworn I'd already commented on this..... Must be losing it. 😂
Season 20 anyway. But Season 21 is not that far behind. Sadly blighted by WotD.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum