You are not connected. Please login or register

What if Peter Davison stayed on for Season 22?

+3
Fendelman
Tanmann
REDACTED
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

REDACTED

What if Peter Davison didn't hang up his cricket whites in 1984 and decided stayed on for the 1985 season?

Could you see him in 22's stories and do you think he would have made a good fit for the season?

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

My first thought was that he would probably not be a good fit with Season 22, but mulling it over, I think actually he could.

In a way I think you could probably put Davison in the acid bath scene and the final shootout with the Cybermen on Telos, or maybe even the final showdown with Shockeye and he could still come out of both managing to still look innocent in a way Colin didn't. That it either had been an accident or he really did have no choice.

In addition I think he'd have had a much nicer dynamic with Peri, so perhaps fandom would've been more forgiving to the season. Maybe Davison staying on would've given the show a respectability that made it harder for Grade to get away with dumping on it or its star like he did.

The suspension might still have happened but perhaps the BBC would've decided to ensure there was some damage-limitation to the comeback, just to keep an actor like Davison on side with them. Without him I think Colin and the show were left to the wolves.

Fendelman

Fendelman

Overall, I prefer Davison's doctor to Colin's, but I actually think it might have worked better the other way around - if Colin did S21.

iank

iank

Would have been too bleak with Davison. Colin's vibrant and cocky Doctor adds some much needed comedy to the season's stories.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

iank wrote:Would have been too bleak with Davison. Colin's vibrant and cocky Doctor adds some much needed comedy to the season's stories.

Agreed, Colin's comparatively more outrageous persona I think was rather better suited to the style of the season.

Ludders

Ludders

Interesting question.
I liked the rapport that he had with Peri, and I would've liked to've seen that develop in a different direction to the tedious bickering with Colin's Doc.
I like Colin's Doc, but I always preferred his Big Finish output. I thought he was the best BF Doctor of all, but he got saddled with some rubbish stories, bar Revelation and Attack.
Would they have been better with Davison? Probably not, but they couldn't be any worse. In fact the more I think about it, the more intrigued I am about it. I think I like the idea.

stengos

stengos

To some extent Davision doing season 22 would be my dream season. No disrespect to Colin but i have always prefered Davison as an actor to Baker.

Peter brought a breathless energy and sense of vulnerability to the role which i must preferred to Colin's more know it all, lounder take on the character. And there are some really good stories in season 22 which i think Davison would have been much better in - Attack, Revelation, Two Doctors, maybe Varos. But definitely not Timelash. For example I think the confrontation between Davros and the Doctor in Revalation would have worked better with Davison in the role.

I also thought Davison worked very well with Bryant and i would have liked to have seen more of their on-screen chemistry.

That said, take 22 off of Colin and all hes got left is Trial - and i wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum