TiberiusDidNothingWrong
iank
Doctor7
stengos
Zarius
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 18th July 2019, 11:54 pm

REDACTED

Anyone interested in them?

2Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 18th July 2019, 11:57 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'm curious enough to give them a read. See if maybe he adds on or improves on Resurrection and Revelation.

I'll probably get them at some point but at the moment money is a bit too tight to mention for me.

3Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 18th July 2019, 11:58 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:I'm curious enough to give them a read. See if maybe he adds on or improves on Resurrection and Revelation.

I'll probably get them at some point but at the moment money is a bit too tight to mention for me.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the original TV stories?

4Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 12:05 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I thought Resurrection was a rather nasty violent, excessive mess that nonetheless had a few gem moments buried in there.

Revelation I thought was mostly really good. It had bits of skewed morality (specifically Saward's skewed ideas of justice) but for the most part the good stuff really outshines the flaws. Though it did leave me with some nagging questions of why Tranquil Repose were willing to work with Davros given human history with the Daleks. Maybe the upcoming book might provide some answers.

5Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 12:20 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Oh sod it.

Resurrection's only £9.99 on Amazon.

I'll order it now.

6Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 1:15 am

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote: ... at the moment money is a bit too tight to mention for me.

simply red????

7Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 7:43 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Kind of.

Though I struggle to imagine Mick Hucknall ever being short of money these days.

8Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 1:37 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I read a spoiler about Tegan and I think Eric's been watching Whoflix's fanedits.

9Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:00 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Well my copy's just arrived.

It's a lot smaller than I expected.

10Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:17 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:It's a lot smaller than I expected.

Funny, my ex said that to me once.

11Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:32 pm

REDACTED

Commander Maxil Gale wrote:
Tanmann wrote:It's a lot smaller than I expected.

Funny, my ex said that to me once.

Understandable.

12Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:50 pm

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:Well my copy's just arrived.

It's a lot smaller than I expected.

May i ask how many pages?

I would be intrested to hear what you think of it.

I liked his "Twin Dilema" novelisation but was dissapointed by "The Visitation".

13Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It's 189 pages, and the hardback fits in my coat pocket.

I've got another book to finish first, but I should be done with that one within a day. Then I can probably get through Resurrection quickly and give you my verdict.

Last edited by Tanmann on 19th July 2019, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Have you read any of it yet?

15Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 6:57 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Not yet. I'll probably start tomorrow.

16Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 19th July 2019, 7:00 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Let us know what it's like when you do. I agree with Stengos. His Visitation novel was basically a "he said, she said" affair. No real insights into the character or anything like that. I just hope the Resurrection novel is written in the style of the Twin Dilemma and Attack of the Cybermen novels.

17Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 2:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The novel has been reviewed by one person on Amazon and he gave it 1 star...

"Essentially a 208 page Mickey take at the expense of Doctor Who fans, arch, humourless and jaundiced, the writers boredom drips off every page."

18Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 5:00 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

It wasn't me....

19Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 5:32 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

He sounds like a moody twat whoever he is.

20Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 5:52 pm

Doctor7

I read Eric saward was not a big fan of JNT casting Colin.

21Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 5:53 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Commander Maxil Gale wrote:He sounds like a moody twat whoever he is.

Well certainly sounds like a fan who has not forgiven Saward (either for the violent direction he took the show in the 80's, or for doing the dirty on JNT and Colin as he did- as Doctor7 pointed out), and is committed to the narrative that New Who owes its success to being so insufferably 'fun' and therefore Saward's writing represents everything antithetically bleak and humourless that killed the old show's appeal.

Now I don't disagree that Saward's writing was a detriment to the show and its hero (or at least a contributing part of it), but the reviewer sounds like the kind of fan who is utterly cultish and fanatical about the idea of what ensured New Who's success, and intolerant of any other way of doing the show.

22Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 6:04 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:It wasn't me....

Yeah, the lack of a Warriors Of The Deep rant confirmed it... Wink

23Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 6:04 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The git gave RTD's Rose novelisation 5 stars! Unbelievable.

24Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 6:14 pm

REDACTED

Commander Maxil Gale wrote:The git gave RTD's Rose novelisation 5 stars! Unbelievable.

Just read it, the mind truly boggles... Rolling Eyes

25Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations Empty Re: Eric Saward's Dalek Novelisations 21st July 2019, 6:19 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I was actually going to write my own novelization of Day of the Doctor, long before Moffat's official version came out, and I posted a draft of chapter one on a particular fanfic site.

However it got rather unfavourable feedback because I think the readers felt the way I described Clara's opening motorbike journey from school to the Tardis, with her getting a bit wet from the vibration of her motorbike seat was a tad inappropriate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum