You are not connected. Please login or register

Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations

+2
Pepsi Maxil
REDACTED
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:29 pm

REDACTED

Anyone else collect them and take interest in them?

Some of my favorites are Back To The Future by George Gipe, Child's Play 2 and 3 by Matthew Costello, Licence To Kill and Goldeneye by John Gardner, Halloween by Curtis Richards and both Randall Frake's novelizations for the first two Terminator films.

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 26th January 2020, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'm an avid collector of movie novelisations. I'm a big fan of Craig Shaw Gardner's Batman and Back to the Future Part II novels.

3Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:33 pm

REDACTED

In all honesty. I find CSG's novelizations for BTTF 2 and 3 to be quite bland in comparison to Gipe's novelization as they're obviously straight from the final film rather than the batshit craziness of Gipe's early draft novelization.

Never read the novelization of the 1989 Batman but I quite enjoyed his Returns novelization.

4Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:34 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I have to say I loved the Back to the Future novelization.

I took an interest in the old rare Star Trek movie novelizations for (II-IV) by the late Vonda N Mcintyre.

Very much a mixed bag. There's some lovely bits of prose in there, sone interesting expanded discussion, and yet there's also some moments of real cringe.

Plus what leaves a slightly nasty aftertase about her books is she clearly doesn't like Scotty for some reason (maybe because of Wolf in the fold), and manages to somehow make him the most unpleasant character in Star Trek.

5Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:38 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:In all honesty. I find CSG's novelizations for BTTF 2 and 3 to be quite bland in comparison to Gipe's novelization as they're obviously straight from the final film rather than the batshit craziness of Gipe's early draft novelization.

I loved Strickland's 'walkman's in a vice' method of punishment.

They don't make unhinged School Principles like him anymore.

The only bits of interest in the Back to the Future II novelization were the skyline posters warning "Litter can kill!"

Also it was nice to get a more coherent explanation for why future George McFly was hovering upside down and what actually happened to him on that golf course. It also gives a slightly more plausible account for what might've happened to Marty's daughter as a result of her brother's arrest.

6Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:49 pm

Richie

Richie

War And Peace's novelization sucked. It was just as BLOODY BORING as the film!

What is Eddie doing in there?

7Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 3:50 pm

Eddie Hitler

Eddie Hitler

Richie wrote:What is Eddie doing in there?

It's just a little hobby. Why don't you focus on yours?

8Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 4:11 pm

REDACTED

Eddie Hitler wrote:
Richie wrote:What is Eddie doing in there?

It's just a little hobby. Why don't you focus on yours?

He's probably already had three today....

9Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 5:27 pm

stengos

stengos

Over the years i have read some of Alan Dean Foste'rs novelisations of some films - Alien films, Star Wars trilogy (plus sthg called Splinter of the Mind's Eye in the Star Wars universe).

I enjoyed the first two novelisations of the Blakes 7 series - called Blakes 7 and Project Avalon and written by Trevor Hoyle.

I used to read James Blish's Star Trek books - novelisations of TOS, each episode condensed into one chapter unless my memory deceives me.

The Glen A Larson novelisations of some of the original Battlestar Galactica episodes were quite good.

In 2020 the BBC broadcast an original dramatisation of a 19th century Transylvanian count who lived off human blood and travelled to Whitby, England to pursue some property deal. Subversion of expectations allowed the writers to adroitly transfer the story's narrative from the 19h Centrury to the 21st Century in the third episode without losing the interest of the audience. Or pissing me off no end. It was a brilliant tv drama written by two of the edgiest, creative writers in the history of British tv - nay the whole world. Why am i telling you this? Well some Irish guy - Abraham Stuck or sthg - has just done the novelisation of said show. Its okay. It lacks the expectation defying stellar like ingenuity and social diversity of the BBC show and it won't catch on - but its worth a read.

I have read some of the Ian Fleming Bond novels and seen the films. Some are dramatically different from the films (e.g., Moonraker - and i prefer the book) while others are very similar in a lot of regards but sill with key differences (e.g., From Russia, Dr No, Goldfinger). I keep meaning to read the Gardner / Benson novelisations of the Brosnan films but so far i have never gotten around to it.

10Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations Empty Re: Movie Tie Ins/Novelisations 26th January 2020, 5:43 pm

REDACTED

stengos wrote:I have read some of the Ian Fleming Bond novels and seen the films. Some are dramatically  different from the films (e.g., Moonraker - and i prefer the book) while others are very similar in a lot of regards but sill with key differences (e.g., From Russia, Dr No, Goldfinger). I keep meaning to read the Gardner / Benson novelisations of the Brosnan films but so far i have never gotten around to it.

Well some of the Bond ones are different types with the earlier ones just being re-releases of the original Fleming novels with the later ones being just adaptations of the films.

I didn't really care for Benson's novelizations of the later Brosnan flicks as they lacked detail and were from memory, just generic ''he said, she said''. Gardner who did the novelizations for LTK and GE also had his own series of sequel novels to the original Ian Fleming series.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum