You are not connected. Please login or register

When will the great pronoun purge commence?

+3
burrunjor
Kaijuko
DeadManRising
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I noticed reading some fine Doctor Who literature that they referred to the Doctor, as a whole, as a 'he'. Shocked, I searched further - I realised that throughout the entirety of the series people have made the mistake of referring to the obviously agendered Doctor with male pronouns. You almost get the impression that the Doctor has been - in writing, and in the minds of the creators and audience - a male all along.

After crying for four hours, I managed to leave my safe space - leaving my hot cocoa and myriad of super-soft comfort blankets, to perform my moral imperative: changing the world and encouraging real human progress.

This disgrace is everywhere. Books, DVDs, interviews. Even the glorious NuWho is tainted.

This must be changed - жhe deserves it.

Who's with me?

burrunjor

burrunjor

TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:I noticed reading some fine Doctor Who literature that they referred to the Doctor, as a whole, as a 'he'. Shocked, I searched further - I realised that throughout the entirety of the series people have made the mistake of referring to the obviously agendered Doctor with male pronouns. You almost get the impression that the Doctor has been - in writing, and in the minds of the creators and audience - a male all along.

After crying for four hours, I managed to leave my safe space - leaving my hot cocoa and myriad of super-soft comfort blankets, to perform my moral imperative: changing the world and encouraging real human progress.

This disgrace is everywhere. Books, DVDs, interviews. Even the glorious NuWho is tainted.

This must be changed - жhe deserves it.

Who's with me?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Its already begun actually. You're behind.

Take a look at this article on Doctor Who Wiki. It refers to the Doctor overall as they, when it used to refer to him as he overall.

The Doctor

And this article on tv tropes refers to him as they now too when it used to be he. (It specifically highlights they, by turning it to a link to their article "ambigous gender", PS that article also includes the Doctor.)

TV Tropes Doctor character

LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL

This just reinforces what I was saying from the start however. These people didn't just want a female Doctor in the present. They wanted to completely rewrite it so that the Doctor was never a male character. From now on publicity materials will have to refer to him as they or the gender bending alien. Its like the Vandals defacing pieces of Roman art when they tore the civilisation down.

I know what Ian means though when he says that he is past the angry stage and is just laughing at the whole shit storm.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I find it much easier to just refer to the Doctor from now on as an "it". It's much easier than typing "he/she" every time and it really annoys the fuck out of a lot of NuWho fans.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Mistake. Please ignore. See below.

Last edited by Queen Angvia on 4th August 2018, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

When will the great pronoun purge commence? Who_jo13

Mott1

Mott1

Elsewhere on the BBC site: how's this for a pronoun purge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45356908

As well as the removal of any scenes containing only men there is also this fantastic quote : -

"Shakespeare named some of his greatest plays after men - Othello, Macbeth, King Lear, Hamlet...

"But perhaps it tells us a lot about his time that he didn't see fit to write a play called Queen Margaret. And it tells us something about our own era that she is being put in the spotlight now.

"Totally," Anouka agrees. "There are no plays with a female name [in the title] unless they're with a man - Romeo AND Juliet. Antony AND Cleopatra. And the men come first.

"I think it's definitely something of the time. But I feel like if Shakespeare was around now, he would totally be up for it because he liked the character."

New improved Shakespeare! At least now we know where he was going wrong...

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:Elsewhere on the BBC site: how's this for a pronoun purge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45356908

As well as the removal of any scenes containing only men there is also this fantastic quote : -

"Shakespeare named some of his greatest plays after men - Othello, Macbeth, King Lear, Hamlet...

"But perhaps it tells us a lot about his time that he didn't see fit to write a play called Queen Margaret. And it tells us something about our own era that she is being put in the spotlight now.

"Totally," Anouka agrees. "There are no plays with a female name [in the title] unless they're with a man - Romeo AND Juliet. Antony AND Cleopatra. And the men come first.

"I think it's definitely something of the time. But I feel like if Shakespeare was around now, he would totally be up for it because he liked the character."

New improved Shakespeare! At least now we know where he was going wrong...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

8When will the great pronoun purge commence? Empty Re: When will the great pronoun purge commence? 21st September 2018, 10:27 pm

iank

iank

Oh dear God. When is this lunatic retardation going to end?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Boofer

Boofer

It ends with genocide, probably,

Mott1

Mott1

Here's more. This one's a particular shame as it's one of my favourite Shakespeare plays which only gets performed rarely, I was hoping to go & see it 'til I heard the lead part had got 'Jodie'd' : -

https://mytheatremates.com/rsc-winter-season-revealed-kathryn-hunter-leads-cast-of-timon-of-athens-2/

I don't envy young male actors starting out now. Never mind the casting couch, they'd need to have a sex change to get any work!

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum