You are not connected. Please login or register

The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT

+3
Bernard Marx
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
burrunjor
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 2:24 pm

REDACTED

Anyone here read it and if so what did you think of it?

2The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 2:32 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Very interesting read. JNT comes off as a very likable, but flawed individual throughout. His worst moments are the way he treats Nicola Byrant and Sophie Aldred, but overall he comes off as someone who did his best for the show in difficult times.

Eric Saward, Ian Levine, Gary Downie and Jonathan Powell all come off terribly. (Downie however seems to have been well liked by Sophie Aldred which is odd.)

There are some inputs from RTD which might annoy people here LOL, but he's ironically the only one of the New Who producers I don't hate, so I wasn't too bothered.

3The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 3:37 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I've read it. Thought it was very fair (a bit apologetic but not ridiculously so), and quite illuminating.

I concur with burrun that Saward comes off pretty badly in it, and Downie frankly should've been locked up.

4The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 3:54 pm

REDACTED

burrunjor wrote:Very interesting read. JNT comes off as a very likable, but flawed individual throughout. His worst moments are the way he treats Nicola Byrant and Sophie Aldred, but overall he comes off as someone who did his best for the show in difficult times.

What happened with Nicola and Sophie?

5The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 4:58 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mercury wrote:
burrunjor wrote:Very interesting read. JNT comes off as a very likable, but flawed individual throughout. His worst moments are the way he treats Nicola Byrant and Sophie Aldred, but overall he comes off as someone who did his best for the show in difficult times.

What happened with Nicola and Sophie?

With Nicola it was very strange.

It happened in the 90's. There was a policeman JNT and Downie were friends with and who John fancied drawing into a tryst with them, but Downie pointed out the guy was getting on suspiciously well with Nicola. At one point they even left the table concurrently. John got jealous and suspicious, no doubt with Downie stirring the pot, and in a fit of jealous rage and disgust he ended up spitting in her face.

It was sad because I don't think they'd been anything but the most amicable friends until then. It was also sad because I think Downie ended up being the reason Nicola didn't go to John's funeral, even though she wanted to.

Sophie I don't think was covered in the book, but rather in one of her DWM interviews. She'd been unhappy with her publicity photos and when she told John her concerns, he in no uncertain terms gave her a dressing down and let her know her image belongs to the program which belongs to him. He also got affronted when she once asked him not to smoke around her during a scene. She said he was very frosty to her from that point on, until they started to get along during Greatest Show in the Galaxy

6The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:03 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I haven't read it, but who is Gary Downie? I haven't heard of this guy, did he throw JNT under the bus?

7The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:12 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:I haven't read it, but who is Gary Downie? I haven't heard of this guy, did he throw JNT under the bus?

No, that was Gary Levy (who ran the militantly anti-JNT DWB fanzine)

Gary Downie was John's boyfriend (and also his production unit manager), who he was with from the 70's apparently, to his final days.

He was often remarked to be very nasty, bitchy and vitriolic, and someone who loved to shit-stir (generally when fans talk of JNT's more authoritarian, unreasonable, paranoid moments as producer, it's often assumed that it was down to Downie being the actual real bad influence on him, goading him on). He was also incredibly predatory. There's a *very* uncomfortable part in the book where it describes a pantomime they were doing and there was a very upset fourteen year old boy in the cast who apparently Downie had hit on.

8The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:23 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve not read it, but it sounds like an interesting read. I’d not heard of Downie before encountering this thread, and based on your descriptions, Tanmann, he sounds like an absolute twat.

9The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:27 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'd say a dangerous reprobate.

Actually he died not long after John. I think he learned in his last months that once John was gone, all John's friends could no longer be bothered with him.

10The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:45 pm

REDACTED

I'm assuming the pantomime Tanmann mentioned was the one on Christmas 1984 that fucked up the production of Timelash?

11The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 5:49 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Actually, no. It was a few years after the show ended infact (might even have been 1994). I don't think any of the main Who cast were involved.

12The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 19th September 2019, 6:55 pm

#BeKind

#BeKind

Tanmann wrote:No, that was Gary Levy (who ran the militantly anti-JNT DWB fanzine)

Gary Downie was John's boyfriend (and also his production unit manager), who he was with from the 70's apparently, to his final days.

He was often remarked to be very nasty, bitchy and vitriolic, and someone who loved to shit-stir (generally when fans talk of JNT's more authoritarian, unreasonable, paranoid moments as producer, it's often assumed that it was down to Downie being the actual real bad influence on him, goading him on). He was also incredibly predatory. There's a *very* uncomfortable part in the book where it describes a pantomime they were doing and there was a very upset fourteen year old boy in the cast who apparently Downie had hit on.

OMG SHUT THE FUCK UP!! WHY ARE YUO PERPETUAETING HOMOPHOBIC STEREOTIPES??? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU ???? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

https://doctorwhofeministfront.tumblr.com

13The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 20th September 2019, 2:50 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Just going by what's in the book.

You not one for 'Listen & Believe' then, BeKind?

14The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 20th September 2019, 11:04 pm

iank

iank

For the parody to be fully faithful, "Listen and believe" would have to only apply to women. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

15The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT Empty Re: The Life & Scandalous Times Of JNT 21st September 2019, 3:07 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

iank wrote:For the parody to be fully faithful, "Listen and believe" would have to only apply to women. Big Grin

I forgot....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum