Stevewoodley86
DogStar2000
Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 28]

51Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th January 2018, 10:19 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Zarius wrote:STV2 were showing Doctor Who and the Daleks today (with a break in between for the news), it was great fun, Roy Castle stole it ("That's my lucky number"), still love it when Cushing is a dick to the Thal to provoke him into fighting. The final battle is all kinds of tense. I joined in when Cushing said "STOP THE COUNTDOWN! THE BOMB WILL DESTROY THE PLANET!"

Haven't seen it since I was in secondary school (I never bought the DVDs, only had it on VHS),  they're repeating it on Friday too.

Yeah, both of the Peter Cushing movies are genuinely really fun to watch and don't really get the credit that they deserve. A lot of the more hardcore Doctor Who fans look down on them due to them being really unfaithful to the TV show and being a little goofy and comedic at times. But if you don't take them too seriously and can deal with all the weird changes they made from the TV show, then they're both easily well worth your time.

I'd much rather watch the Peter Cushing movies than the 1996 movie, that's for sure.

52Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th February 2018, 10:27 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I've seen bugger all since May. Haven't been able to get into anything since.

53Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th February 2018, 10:10 pm

iank

iank

I saw Androzani about 3 weeks back and the new Shada the week before that. Couldn't get into Caves this time for some reason, I just found the tone a bit wearying. Perhaps it was a mistake to watch it less than a week after Shada, which I fucking adored and had so much fun with. I always loved the 92 version and I wasn't sure I'd go for the animated, longer, movie-length version at all, but I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

54Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 1:23 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Just rewatched Logopolis for the first time in over a year... and I must say it's nowhere near as good as I remember it being. In my opinion, it's a fairly dull and convoluted story that gets bogged down under far too much scientific gobbledygook.

The actual way the Doctor stops the Master's plan makes no sense whatsoever. The universe is literally disintegrating due to the Master disrupting the block transfer computations on Logopolis, and it can all be fixed by... going back to Earth in the 20th century and fiddling around with some cables on top of an old radio tower? Right. Gotchya.

Overall, I found it to be a really mediocre story that is completely unworthy of sending off arguably the greatest Doctor of all time.

55Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 2:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

DeadManRising wrote:Just rewatched Logopolis for the first time in over a year... and I must say it's nowhere near as good as I remember it being. In my opinion, it's a fairly dull and convoluted story that gets bogged down under far too much scientific gobbledygook.

The actual way the Doctor stops the Master's plan makes no sense whatsoever. The universe is literally disintegrating due to the Master disrupting the block transfer computations on Logopolis, and it can all be fixed by... going back to Earth in the 20th century and fiddling around with some cables on top of an old radio tower? Right. Gotchya.

Overall, I found it to be a really mediocre story that is completely unworthy of sending off arguably the greatest Doctor of all time.    

Music is good but the story is a bit... crap, for lack of a better word.

Last edited by Commander Maxil on 20th March 2019, 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

56Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 4:16 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Yeah, Tegan is easily one of my least favourite companions the show has ever produced. Her character was incredibly whiny and unlikeable, her actress was awful, and her voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

57Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 5:19 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

DeadManRising wrote:Yeah, Tegan is easily one of my least favourite companions the show has ever produced. Her character was incredibly whiny and unlikeable, her actress was awful, and her voice was like nails on a chalkboard.  

She posted this on her twitter after Jodie was announced:

Dinosaurs have 50 years' worth of male Dr Whos to watch in their basements. The rest of us want 2 embrace the future. It's SF after all. Doh

As the guy who commented on it said " Do you have to be a dinosaur who lives in a basement if you resist change?"

Last edited by Commander Maxil on 20th March 2019, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

58Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 7:23 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Yup. You can't POSSIBLY be a normal, well-adjusted person if you're against a female Doctor. You must be some kind of defective, bitter, hateful, antisocial, basement dwelling nerd to oppose such a majestic change to the show.

Typical shaming tactics from the smug, self-righteous, and virtue signalling female Doctor brigade.

I know I won't be lining up to get HER autograph any time soon...

59Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th February 2018, 8:59 pm

iank

iank

She's always been a cunt.

I agree about Logopolis. I find season 18 a bit of a mixed bag, with most of the stuff I like being holdovers from the Williams era. The last two stories esp after Lalla and K9 go aren't half a slog, and Tom looks as bored as fuck.

60Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 7:02 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Decided to take a trip down memory lane and rewatch Planet of Giants again, and I absolutely loved every second of it. Such a unique and fun story with some surprisingly really good camera work and set design. The team actually did a really good job scaling all the props to size and utilising various camera angles to make it look like the TARDIS crew had actually shrunk. That couldn't have been an easy task back in the 1960's with such a limited budget.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of glaring plot holes scattered throughout the episode, but it's such a fun and charming story that I simply just didn't care. Overall, it's easily one of my favourite stories from the Hartnell era.  

On a side note, Planet of Giants was actually the very first episode of the show that I ever saw. This was my introduction to Doctor Who. It's probably why I've always had such a strong, sentimental attachment to the Hartnell era.

61Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 7:53 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

She posted this on her twitter after Jodie was announced:

Dinosaurs have 50 years' worth of male Dr Whos to watch in their basements. The rest of us want 2 embrace the future. It's SF after all. Doh

As the guy who commented on it said " Do you have to be a dinosaur who lives in a basement if you resist change?"

The actress should have been written out in Time-Flight.
View user profile Send private message

Well Janet always has that glittering acting career to fall back on doesn't she. Like that one advert she was in before Doctor Who and eh?

Its hilarious that she is such an SJW moron she would end the ONLY cash cow she has. If anything rather than cue up for her autograph, everyone will be cuing up to tell her what a cunt she is instead.

Also again the question I always to ask Janet is, how many female led genre series does she like? I've never seen her mention any of them. Its hilarious, NONE of these people actually watch any female led series. That should always be brought up to them. Hoist them by their own petard. They can never answer it.

When I brought it up to Whovian Feminism for instance she couldn't answer apart from being a racist over the fact that I'm white, and saying she liked the Wonder Woman movie. Yeah real extensive knowledge of female heroes you got there, you liked the one out in cinemas.

Last edited by burrunjor on 19th February 2018, 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

62Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 7:55 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Yeah, both of the Peter Cushing movies are genuinely really fun to watch and don't really get the credit that they deserve. A lot of the more hardcore Doctor Who fans look down on them due to them being really unfaithful to the TV show and being a little goofy and comedic at times. But if you don't take them too seriously and can deal with all the weird changes they made from the TV show, then they're both easily well worth your time.

I'd much rather watch the Peter Cushing movies than the 1996 movie, that's for sure.

LOVE the Cushing movies. I love Peter Cushing and he's great as the lovable old grandfatherly Doctor.

The Daleks are also on fine form, and the sets are brilliant. They are so much better than the shitfest new series.

63Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 8:11 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Good man. It's always great to see more appreciation for the Peter Cushing movies.

I might also add that Roberta Tovey as Susan is also surprisingly really good for such a young actress. I'm not exactly sure why they deemed it necessary to turn Susan into a twelve year old, but she works really well in the context of the movies and compliments Peter Cushing's Doctor extremely well.

64Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 9:46 pm

iank

iank

Planet of Evil. Never been a fave, and I haven't actually seen it in full for 15 years till this weekend, but I didn't mind it this time. Watchable enough.

65Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 10:11 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Last Tru Who I saw was The War Games. Love the performance of Pat and the War Chief, War Lord etc. I'm debating watching the E space trilogy again soon but I may shell out on Keeper Of Traken. Probably Ainley's finest hour...

66Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 10:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

DeadManRising wrote:Good man. It's always great to see more appreciation for the Peter Cushing movies.

I might also add that Roberta Tovey as Susan is also surprisingly really good for such a young actress. I'm not exactly sure why they deemed it necessary to turn Susan into a twelve year old, but she works really well in the context of the movies and compliments Peter Cushing's Doctor extremely well.  

I've got a confession to make. I actually prefer Dr.Who and the Daleks to the original televised serial. I remember watching it one Saturday morning on TV and thinking it was a cracking little movie with good actors, a great budget and that faultless 60s charm I'm so fond of. Both were so colourful and wonderful in their old fashioned way. Should really get both on DVD as I've only caught them a few times on TV.

Cushing movies>Nuwho.

67Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 10:33 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I haven't watched much lately. I think I'll make some time and watch Time and the Rani this week and maybe watch all of the McCoy stories again afterwards.

68Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th February 2018, 11:27 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

CommanderMaxil1983 wrote: I've got a confession to make. I actually prefer Dr.Who and the Daleks to the original televised serial. I remember watching it one Saturday morning on TV and thinking it was a cracking little movie with good actors, a great budget and that faultless 60s charm I'm so fond of.  Both were so colourful and wonderful in their old fashioned way. Should really get both on DVD as I've only caught them a few times on TV.

Cushing movies>Nuwho. 

Wow, really? That's a very... unique opinion you have there, Maxil.

I personally prefer the darker and grittier tone of the original, but they're both excellent in their own ways.

69Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 3 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 25th February 2018, 9:31 pm

iank

iank

Fenric. An absolute corker.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I haven't watched any Who for ages so I thought I would stick on the Mara Tales box set. Kinda was bollocks. I mean what was that about?

Visually and in terms of performances, it was there but... I think it might make more sense if I was Christopher Bailey.

iank

iank

Kinda is bollocks. Cornell loves it. Says it all. Big Grin
Snakedance is pretty good though.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Snakedance was much better. It has actual characters with proper motivations rather than just going a bit crazy and having seemingly learned some valuable lesson that just leaves the viewer scratching their head.

Saying that, the ending was a bit pants, not sure what the Doctor did with the crystal at the end, some psychic nonsense. Neither one was boring or felt like it had much in the way of filler. I was kind of disappointed that the fortune teller in the cliffhanger didn't die. It would have given a bit more sense of urgency and made the Mara a bit more intimidating.

Watching Kinda, I couldn't help thinking how Tom would have played off all the mad characters. He would have been in his element. And funnily enough, Christopher Bailey was saying that it was commissioned for Tom. Davison was much more in tune with the story in Snakedance.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

The Five Doctors.

Loved it. Such a fun, nostalgic story with some really great performances from the cast members all around. The 2nd Doctor and the Brigadier in particular are excellent in this.

Of course, the plot itself is rather poorly written and has quite a few glaring holes.  

- Why is Borusa willing to jump through all these hoops to get the Ring of Rassilon when he can just keep giving himself more regeneration cycles from the high council?

- How does the Master know the exact route to get past the chess board trap? And how does using the square root of pi to find out the way through even work exactly?

- Why don't the high council give the Master multiple teleportation devices instead of just one so he can bring back all the Doctors quickly and safely like they want him to?

- If Borusa can just teleport straight to the Tomb of Rassilon directly from his own living quarters, then why didn't he just do that to begin with and why did he even need any of the Doctors in the Death Zone in the first place?

Of course, because it's such a giant, fun nostalgic wankfest you can't help but love it in spite of all it's flaws.

Mott1

Mott1

Dead Man has got The Five Doctors down pat.

It's curious how different it is to Day Of The Doctor, which is the new show's equivalent - seeing the latter made me realise the Moffat era would stoop even lower than RTD's.

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

The Gunfighters. One of the so called "worst Doctor Who episodes of all time".

I really don't understand why this story has such a low reception amongst fans. It's really not that bad. In fact I actually rather enjoyed it. I can think of dozens of Classic Who episodes that are worse than this.

Sure, the fake American accents are simply laughable, and the random singing narrator feels HORRIBLY out of place in a Doctor Who episode. Aside from that though, there's really not much else wrong with it. The plot itself is fairly well written, and you can totally tell that William Hartnell is having the absolute time of his life on set pretending to be a cowboy.

Not a classic, but certainly not terrible either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum