Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 28]

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

iank wrote:Remembrance. Still fricking brilliant. That's how you make great Who, Mofftwat.

By god it is. Shame so many seem reluctant to appreciate it

Mr Seta

Mr Seta

Been watching a lot of the Holmes/Hinchcliffe classics recently (part dissertation research, part for own pleasure.)

Terror of the Autons
Pyramids of Mars
The Brain of Morbius
The Deadly Assassin

I love how fun Terror is and how genuinely horrific/hilarious the killer plastic scenes are and how The Master should be played.

iank

iank

I started watching Day of the Doctor last night but got about 45 mins in and turned it off. Never been the biggest fan but I thought it was passable before but I really disliked it last night. Hurt is the only good thing about it and his entire existence is one big contrivance. I found it as generally eyerollingly lame and irritating as most of the Moffat era this time. It's a shit anniversary story.
I did stick on The Crimson Horror then though, which is probably the best episode of series 7. Granted that's not saying much, but I do like it's decidedly uncharacteristic (for the new series) delight in gruesomeness and black comedy (Ada squashing Mr Sweet at the end is hilarious). Fun enough.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Zarius

Zarius

Return of Doctor Mysterio cheifly for editing purposes. It is so much better when you take out Mr. Huffle.

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I tried watching Ghost Light on dailymotion but it was split into 8 episode parts and would skip a bit between parts. Sad

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:I started watching Day of the Doctor last night but got about 45 mins in and turned it off. Never been the biggest fan but I thought it was passable before but I really disliked it last night. Hurt is the only good thing about it and his entire existence is one big contrivance. I found it as generally eyerollingly lame and irritating as most of the Moffat era this time. It's a shit anniversary story.
I did stick on The Crimson Horror then though, which is probably the best episode of series 7. Granted that's not saying much, but I do like it's decidedly uncharacteristic (for the new series) delight in gruesomeness and black comedy (Ada squashing Mr Sweet at the end is hilarious). Fun enough.

I still like Day of the Doctor, but I think it could have been better in the following ways.

Stick in the Night of the Doctor as the opening instead. I'm not sure about getting rid of the War Doctor as I do like the character, but I can see why people would have wanted McGann. Still this might be quite a good compromise.

Cut down the cringey bits with Queen Bess.

Maybe pick more impressive and memorable monsters for the 50th than the Zygons. I actually think more screen time should have been given to the Daleks as they are THE DW villains.

Also have more clips of old Doctors in the all Doctors save Gallifrey montage. They might have even been able to get them all in to do voice overs too.

Here is a mash up someone did of all the Doctors saving Gallifrey with more clips of the old Doctors. Its obviously rough because its just done by some guy in his house, but if the Beeb had done it and smoothed things over then it would have been better.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Saw the Loose Canon recon of Galaxy Four, wasn't as pacey as the abridged version on the DVD of The Aztecs special edition but it had more depth. The Dravhins are little more than female Dominators, though.

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

Any good places where I can watch some classic who online? As I said, the ones on dailymotion cut little bits out and my DVDs are stuck in one of the many boxes in the attic. I remember when Netflix had a bunch of classic who. Sad

The Colin Baker thread has me craving any of his stories and the latest episode of series 10 is making me crave either a good ghost story or just a more horror inspired story so any suggestions are welcome.

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I haven't had time to watch the classic series for ages. Dying to watch Kinda, Snake Dance and Delta at some point. Not cos I think they are good or anything but just because I haven't seen them that many times.

Mr Seta

Mr Seta

Rawkuss wrote:I haven't had time to watch the classic series for ages. Dying to watch Kinda, Snake Dance and Delta at some point. Not cos I think they are good or anything but just because I haven't seen them that many times.

Can honestly say I've never seen all three of them. They never really jumped out at me as ones to watch.

36Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 24th November 2017, 1:25 am

iank

iank

Greatest Show. Utterly delightful.

37Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 24th November 2017, 4:38 am

Plain Old Dave

Within the last week:

Bingewatched World Enough And Time and The Doctor falls as inflight entertainment. They work much better without commercials.

Got home and watched Edge of Destruction and am hammering through The Gunfighters. I don't get the hate for this. It's a low-budget 60s British SF TV show. Campy, but isn't niche TV supposed to be campy?

38Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 24th November 2017, 10:47 am

Zarius

Zarius

Invasion of Time. It's gripping stuff with Maniacal Tom making you second guess The Doctor and giving you chills and a laugh at the same time. Too bad it falls apart when the Sontarans show up.

39Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th November 2017, 8:45 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I find that seeing any 'live' Nu Who puts me off seeing any classic Who... the best antidote to this irrational reaction is a spot of early (season 7) Pertwee or early JNT.

40Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th December 2017, 2:29 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Just finished reading through the Telos Novella 'Time and Relative' by Kim Newman. It's set six months prior to An Unearthly Child and is written in diary format from Susan's point of view whilst she's still a pupil in Coal Hill School. Fairly decent read which portrays both Susan and the Doctor's characters quite well, and is surprisingly quite dark and gory by Doctor Who standards. Would recommend to anyone with a vague interest in Susan's character.

41Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th December 2017, 8:05 pm

Richayard

Kim Newman always comes across as a massively smug arsehole on any of the talking head TV programmes I've seen him on. Also, his Dracula books are pretty piss.

42Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 16th December 2017, 10:26 pm

iank

iank

Can't disagree with that! Big Grin

Saw Earthshock last night. Used to love this, but vastly overwatched it and ended up going off it a little. However I hadn't seen it for nearly 6 and a half years when I just threw it on last night at the last moment... and loved it all over again! Smile

43Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th December 2017, 8:29 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I think I need to cleanse myself after watching this year's Christmas "special". Perhaps re-watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth will do the trick.

44Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 26th December 2017, 11:48 pm

DogStar2000

DeadManRising wrote:I think I need to cleanse myself after watching this year's Christmas "special". Perhaps re-watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth will do the trick.
I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time in years and it is awesome! New Who could learn a lot from it.

https://theleisurehive.proboards.com/

45Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 27th December 2017, 12:47 am

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

DogStar2000 wrote:
DeadManRising wrote:I think I need to cleanse myself after watching this year's Christmas "special". Perhaps re-watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth will do the trick.
I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time in years and it is awesome! New Who could learn a lot from it.

If you haven't already, I recommend you listen to the Big Finish audio story 'An Earthly Child'. It shows what happens to Susan and what state 22nd century Earth is in after the events of the Dalek Invasion of Earth. Paul McGann as always plays the part wonderfully.

Seriously, McGann was BORN to play the Doctor. The fact that he hasn't gotten a single Doctor Who season on TV all to himself is an absolute travesty.

46Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 25th January 2018, 6:45 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Just for shits and giggles, I rewatched the 1965 Peter Cushing movie for the first time in over ten years. I actually really enjoyed it and was very pleasantly surprised by how well it holds up by today's standards.

Yeah, the changes they made are utterly bizarre. Like making the Doctor a human who somehow managed to invent the TARDIS all by himself, making Susan and Barbara sisters, turning Ian into a comic relief buffoon, and turning Susan into a fucking 12 year old.

That said, if you can look past all the weird alterations and don't take it too seriously, then it's a fairly solid adaptation of the classic episode (The Daleks) and a pretty fun way to kill an hour and twenty minutes or so. Plus, Peter Cushing's take on the Doctor is an absolute joy to watch. Roberta Tovey's performance as Susan is also surprisingly good for such a young actress.

I enjoyed it so much I think I'm probably going to rewatch the 1966 sequel as well.

47Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 28th January 2018, 11:33 pm

Stevewoodley86

Hi everyone, I'm on a classic series marathon and have been for about a year now (including listening to the audios of missing stories) I'm at the beginning of Bakers second season now and currently watching planet of evil as we speak. Loved the previous season and always felt it a shame that Harry never got to stay on for a few more stories. Anyway, this is a very enjoyable story but am looking forward to when I get to pyramids.. always been a favourite!

48Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th January 2018, 1:27 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Stevewoodley86 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm on a classic series marathon and have been for about a year now (including listening to the audios of missing stories) I'm at the beginning of Bakers second season now and currently watching planet of evil as we speak. Loved the previous season and always felt it a shame that Harry never got to stay on for a few more stories. Anyway, this is a very enjoyable story but am looking forward to when I get to pyramids.. always been a favourite!

Hey, Steve. A little late, but welcome to the forum.

49Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th January 2018, 1:32 pm

Zarius

Zarius

STV2 were showing Doctor Who and the Daleks today (with a break in between for the news), it was great fun, Roy Castle stole it ("That's my lucky number"), still love it when Cushing is a dick to the Thal to provoke him into fighting. The final battle is all kinds of tense. I joined in when Cushing said "STOP THE COUNTDOWN! THE BOMB WILL DESTROY THE PLANET!"

Haven't seen it since I was in secondary school (I never bought the DVDs, only had it on VHS),  they're repeating it on Friday too.

50Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 30th January 2018, 9:39 pm

iank

iank

Hello Steve!
I think I'd like season 13 a bit more than I actually do if Harry had stayed on longer...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum