Stevewoodley86
DogStar2000
Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 28]

226Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th August 2019, 10:51 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

It was the first story of his I saw. I loved it as well at the time (I saw it at a very young age), and had no idea he was so disliked in fandom. I don’t know why it gets so much flack at all- it’s my second favourite of his era behind Revelation, and in my top 3 Cybermen stories.

227Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th August 2019, 11:08 pm

Doctor7

Colin is not bad he is very Shakespearean like louder attack is probably his best story maybe better then vengeance on varos.

228Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th August 2019, 11:14 pm

REDACTED

I'm personally rather mixed on Attack, I love the first part, but I'm not that keen on the second part. I find the Cryons rather uninteresting and found the Stratton & Bates subplot more interesting and was disappointed it didn't go anywhere...

229Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 7:57 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Yeah- it does feel superfluous by the end of the story, not least because they’re both just casually killed off. And the cliffhanger’s quite dodgy as well. I don’t mind the Cryons as such, though. I still think it’s a much better story than people acknowledge, like most of season 22 (with the exception of Timelash, which is plain embarrassing).

Colin is indeed very theatrical, which comes across occasionally as hammy whenever he has to be loud, though he’s also a good actor during his quieter and more contemplative moments. Take the scene in Revelation where he ruminates over ‘precognitions’ of his own death. I think that he comes across as overly theatrical due to his loud costume and the fact that he is largely written with a touch of bombast (and his being watered down in Trial of a Time Lord doesn’t help much), but he does have nice touches elsewhere.

230Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 9:41 am

Ludders

Ludders

Last one I watched was The Slurians about a month ago. I still love it.
I tried to follow up with Ambassadors of Death, but after ep 4 it got the better of me.
Funny, I've always been able to watch Silurians in one go, but struggle to do the same with Ambassadors and Inferno. Much as I like them, I have to space them out a bit.

231Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 9:46 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

For me, I can watch The Silurians and Inferno all in one sitting (the latter being my absolute favourite Pertwee story), though Ambassadors requires two sittings most of the time. Still a great story, though.

232Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 9:52 am

Ludders

Ludders

From S7, I must admit that Silurians and Spearhead are my favourites, but they are all great.

233Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 9:58 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Season 7 is superb, and one of the finest ever made. Though I enjoy most of Pertwee’s era anyway. Season 11 seems unpopular round these parts, and I’m not really sure why. I think it’s quite decent. I love The Time Warrior and Invasion of the Dinosaurs (crap modelwork aside), I can take or leave Death to the Daleks and Monster of Peladon (both are pretty dull), and Spiders is OK.

234Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 10:08 am

Ludders

Ludders

I agree it has a great tone to it, that was never quite matched by the subsequent Pertwee seasons, but all in all, I tend to have a greater fondness for the later seasons, in general.
My favourites are pretty much spread across the whole era from 7 to 11.

235Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 10:13 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

The later Pertwee’s are more colourful and less gritty, but I still enjoy them considerably. I’d rank them from worst to best like this: Season 9, Season 10, Season 11, Season 8, Season 7. There are still strong traces of the season 7 grittiness in season 8, even with the stronger abundance of CSO, and Delgado’s Master is at his best in season 8 as well, in spite of being overused. Season 9 suffers due to The Mutants and The Time Monster being particularly bad.

236Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 10:29 am

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:The later Pertwee’s are more colourful and less gritty, but I still enjoy them considerably. I’d rank them from worst to best like this: Season 9, Season 10, Season 11, Season 8, Season 7. There are still strong traces of the season 7 grittiness in season 8, even with the stronger abundance of CSO, and Delgado’s Master is at his best in season 8 as well, in spite of being overused. Season 9 suffers due to The Mutants and The Time Monster being particularly bad.

Broadly agree with all that, but I find it harder to rank the seasons, apart from 9 being at the bottom, because there are great ones and more average ones throughout. And I much prefer Jo and Sarah to Liz Shaw, who is real weak link for me. The character just doesn't feel right.
Much as I love Delgado, and Terror of the Autons being probably my favourite Pertwee story, I'm a bigger fan of S10 and 11 in general. And bizarrely, I prefer Monster of Peladon to Curse of. Although there's no real logic behind that. LOL

237Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 11:27 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I rather like Liz Shaw myself, though she should have had more time than she had to become more pronounced as a character. To be honest, I don’t hate Monster of Peladon as much as some- I don’t know why it gets so much hate in general- but I wouldn’t call it great. It’s a little pedestrian. I quite like Curse, though find it perhaps a little overrated.

238Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 7:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Survival. A gripping story with excellent direction and cool incidental music. McCoy and Aldred are on top form as usual.

239Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 7:55 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

If only the series had properly ended with Survival and not morphed into the embarrassment of New Who. In all seriousness, Season 26 was a very apt send off for the original series, and Survival is great.

240Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 7:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:If only the series had properly ended with Survival and not morphed into the embarrassment of New Who. In all seriousness, Season 26 was a very apt send off for the original series, and Survival is great.

Indeed. It really pisses me off when people say the classic series just became this unwatchable and embarrassing show that needed to be put out of its misery. Those last few years gave us some dynamite tales.

241Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:01 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

There are many people I know who still subscribe to this moronic notion, which I really don’t understand. Seasons 23 and 24 are a bit shit, but the last two years are superb, and season 22 is very underrated too. I don’t see what makes them inherently bad at all. Then again, most of said people see the Tennant era as the golden age of Who, which says it all. I think it just proves that the majority of Who fandom (and its general audience) lacks any genuine critical faculties beyond whether the series is popular or not.

242Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:15 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Season 24 is my favourite season ever. Completely pisses all over Trial and NuWho. I do agree with everything else you said, though.

243Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:21 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Season 24 seems to emphasise the ‘pantomime’ stereotype of the era to a staggering degree, though I could argue that it exceeds Trial due to being considerably more coherent and less muddled in terms of stories. I do admittedly quite enjoy Delta, though, which I presume is completely unpopular around here.

Basically every New Who season just gets considerably worse with age. As someone who grew up with the RTD era, it mostly embarrasses me today.

244Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:I do admittedly quite enjoy Delta, though, which I presume is completely unpopular around here.

That's one of my favourites for sure. It's not as unpopular around here as Time and the Rani is. I've finally conceded that I am the only person on the planet that actually likes it.

Bernard Marx wrote:Basically every New Who season just gets considerably worse with age. As someone who grew up with the RTD era, it mostly embarrasses me today.

There's some decent stuff in Series 1-3 that I still quite enjoy, but Series 4 is utter garbage. I thought as much even back then. I caught The Two Doctors on TV back in 2008 and I found that to be a lot more exciting and cooler than anything I had seen in Series 4.

245Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:32 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Season 22 kicks the shit out of series 4 by a long way. To be fair, I don’t hate all of series 4, and find a few enjoyable bits in series 1 and 3. It’s series 2 that I personally loathe with a passion.

Partners in Crime and Journey’s End are truly execrable TV, though.

246Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:32 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I still do love Series 3 and 4 a lot, because I feel like that's when other writers took a precedent over RTD, and finally focused on writing good stories over the Rose domestic drama. The 10 and Donna relationship is also up there with 2 and Jamie, 7 and Ace and 8 and Fitz as my favourite Tardis team. And despite my mixed feelings to Series 2, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit is still my favourite NewWho story and possibly in my top 3 favourite Doctor Who stories of all time.

247Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:36 pm

REDACTED

The Doctor and Donna's dynamic was admittedly slightly refreshing after the soap opera romance bullshit of Series 1-3. But after a while it got grating watching them try to out-ham each other.

248Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:36 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I really rather like Silence in the Library and Midnight quite a bit, and also enjoy Turn Left and Planet Of the Ood, so I wouldn’t say series 4 is outright awful. Series 3 has Blink, which is great (albeit overrated), though the rest of it isn’t especially appealing to me (Human Nature is quite overrated, albeit still generally pretty good, and the last 20 minutes of Last of the Time Lords are staggeringly bad). The Impossible Planet is the best from series 2 by far, and I quite like Tooth and Claw. The rest is generally misguided or just bloody awful.

249Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:37 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:Partners in Crime and Journey’s End are truly execrable TV, though.

And to think I rushed home from my then girlfriend's Birthday party for that crap finale. I really do question some of my decisions in life.

250Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 10 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th August 2019, 8:43 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

It’s one of the most incoherent scripts ever devised for the programme. Nothing about it makes any sense, especially the really poorly conceived last 20 minutes, where the Daleks are destroyed by a console on their own fucking spacecraft, and the pressing of a few buttons commits genocide. Add to that the sheer moronity of the metacrisis Doctor and everything else that occurs- it’s akin to nonsensical fan fiction.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum