You are not connected. Please login or register

DC Comics shows how New Who can be wiped

+2
Zarius
TiberiusDidNothingWrong
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DC Comics shows how New Who can be wiped Empty DC Comics shows how New Who can be wiped 22nd March 2019, 12:14 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Just copy its multiverse format.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

There's precedent and an air of insincerity about comicbooks that permits it.

With the BBC it would be like a personal insult to their incestuous familial establishment.

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Hilariously, this is the same desperation tactics solution being widely hailed as the only way out for Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel and now Who.

The actual hack writer version of, "a wizard did it".

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheTimeTraveller wrote:Hilariously, this is the same desperation tactics solution being widely hailed as the only way out for Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel and now Who.

The actual hack writer version of, "a wizard did it".

No it isn't. The Multiverse is one of the greatest story telling devices in all of fiction.

Last edited by burrunjor on 14th July 2019, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zarius

Zarius

Multiverses have helped me retain my fandom across a wide spectrum, Spider-Man especially, as the newspaper comic strip, MC2 and Renew Your Vows universes continued to tell stories of Peter Parker as an ever evolving husband and father while the main canon reset the factory.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:Multiverses have helped me retain my fandom across a wide spectrum, Spider-Man especially, as the newspaper comic strip, MC2 and Renew Your Vows universes continued to tell stories of Peter Parker as an ever evolving husband and father while the main canon reset the factory.

Exactly! Multiverse's allow you to have your cake and eat it too.

The only problem with them is using them in moderation. It does become lame if they are used to explain everything that doesn't add up.

Map out a plan for them. Decide in say the 2000s we're going to see a new, up to date Spider-Man, whose story will run for about 20 or thirty years. That way you can work yourself towards an ending, be willing to kill off major villains when their stories are up, make major developments in the characters history, and after 30 years bring it to a close, either through retirement or even death.

Do that, and link it to the old through a Flash of Two Worlds story and its the best format unquestionably.

Had New Who done that from the start would any of us be angry with it? Sure we might not like a lot of its emo stuff, but would it provoke such rage?

Imagine New Who had established Eccelston as not being the 9th Doctor, but being the second or third of that universe, and done a crossover story where we saw the Cushing Doctor (who would have to be played by a new actor and be retconned into be a time lord, who was just undercover on earth) and the Doctor from the Classic universe all work together to stop the Daleks from their three universes who were working together.

You could have had three variants of Daleks, the Cushing movie ones, the bronze Daleks, and the Daleks from Remembrance, the Classic Davros in his Emperor casing, and the new Davros with his metal hand, and the classic era Dalek's servants like the Ogrons, the Robomen, working alongside new who dalek mooks like Colony Sarf.

You could see the three different TARDIS interiors, visit the Old Who earth were people are aware of the Cybermen, and everything is more advanced etc.

That story could be quite good if done right, and be more respectful of the original, than retconning Delgado to wanting to fuck Pertwee. Then they could have ended New Who with Capaldi, and have this be his last episode and not crapped out of it through Bill's watery bit on the side.

That would have been a great ending to the New Who Doctor.

Then after a few years you could bring the brand back via another universe, and again link it to the new one via a crossover episode. In that format they could even have a female Doctor!  

The only reason people might have been pissed that New Who wasn't the same universe is because they wanted to see the original back, which is why it might have been better to use up the original 13 before jumping to another universe. Then again the movie might have been a better ending for some, than seeing the old Doctor die.

Its the perfect formula, and I honestly don't get why people would rather we have 1 big cluttered mess of a timeline, with 4 different origins for the Master, two different destructions of Gallifrey, and a story with no end in sight, so nothing major can ever happen.

Literally the worst of both worlds. Canon is constantly rewritten to fit new writers interpretations, yet no characters stories can actually be concluded or developed properly to upset the status quo?

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

burrunjor wrote:

The only problem with them is using them in moderation. It does become lame if they are used to explain everything that doesn't add up.

You answer your own question put to me. If it is an organic part of a story from the start - very cool. If it bounds on to the stage from nowhere after a wave of revulsion causes a backlash... Not very cool and the definition of lazy hackery.

I don't know what else you wrote, I skim your walls of text tbh.

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheTimeTraveller wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

You answer your own question put to me. If it is an organic part of a story from the start - very cool. If it bounds on to the stage from nowhere after a wave of revulsion causes a backlash... Not very cool and the definition of lazy hackery.

I don't know what else you wrote, I skim your walls of text tbh.

Well no offence but you shouldn't reply then. I already answered this.

I said that it should be used in moderation. The same is true for every idea. Doesn't mean the idea is bad in principal. Just that one writer can't use it properly.

For instance decide that this version will last for 30 years. That way you can then finish it at the end, actually make developments in the characters story and history, and create a more proper story.

Then when you reboot it, you can have a character from the old, like the Huntress show up in the new one and link them that way, and so on, and so on.

Its either that, or reboot's that completely ignore the original, time travel reboot's which come across as more offensive, as they actually do wipe the original from history, or making it one big messy timeline where you get the worst of both worlds.

You get continuity being messed up and becoming nonsensical as the decades pass by, and more writers ignore the past, but you also ironically can't ever develop anything or end a characters story. Kill of the Master for instance in the perfect story, and he will have to be brought back, because he is too iconic. In a multiverse however that version of the Master can stay dead, and we can get a new version later. The Multiverse is the best of both worlds.

In DW's case the break between then revival and the classic era, can be used as a break between universes. They are already two different shows in every way, what would it hurt to make them literally two different universes.

sanchez ll

In the event that Chibbers gets rightfully booted into touch  along with his female character ...

after a break I would just bring the show back as IF Noowho never ever happened at all...

have a new male Doctor of appropriate age and look with a male Master (tho' very rarely used) and return the show to this enigmatic Time/Space traveller in an updated but recognisable Tardis console room with central Time column and 'bubble' walls  inside a sixties blue London Police box

...and open the show with the swirling Time/Space vortex leading into the new Doctor's face - with a new but much more  faithful to the classic Ron Grainer / Delia Derbyshire eerie theme tune...

have followable decent stories that are exciting and do NOT try to 're-educate' or talk down to the audience....have an adventure show enjoyable by EVERYBODY not just aimed at  some 'target audience'

re foes besides the Master only retain Daleks and Cybermen - both restored to being a formidable menace virtually indestructable - but use them only occasionally and create some NEW menacing foes - make kids go back behind the sofa to watch  like we did...it did us no harm !

have good cliffhanger endings on two part and occasional three part tales

just ignore 'Noowho' as if it never happened...it NEVER was TRUE Doctor Who anyway so don't waste any time or space on it....ever

it's not bloody rocket science is it...?

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

I'd at least throw disillusioned New Who fans a bone by bringing back McGann and adding in a line that this was going to be an alternate timeline created by fallout from the Time War, and from hereon, anything goes and New Who canon is gone.

Also I wouldn't bring back the Master. As far as I'm concerned he should've been killed off at the end of Castrovalva.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum