You are not connected. Please login or register

Best female singers of the 00s?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Best female singers of the 00s? 30th April 2020, 10:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Nelly Furtado Love Heart

2Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 30th April 2020, 11:55 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

As if you had to ask. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Amy Winehouse was the greatest singer/songwriter of the past 30 years.

She had an amazing range both emotionally and in terms of the genres she could cover too.

She could sing songs that were hilarious like "I Heard Love Is Blind" that's outrageous, but quite self deprecating and "Fuck Me Pumps" which is a brilliant bit of satire. (Ironically it's more valid now than in 2004.)

She could also do great party songs like Valerie, sexy songs like Amy, Amy, Amy, dark, edgy songs like You Know I'm No Good, reflective, sombre songs like Rehab, and sad heartbreaking songs like Love is A Losing Game.

She also could apply her voice in so many different ways. In her cover of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, she managed to hit the high notes as well as anybody else, but for Love is A Losing Game she managed to bring a more quiet, understated tone to her voice, whilst in You Know I'm No Good, there is a real gritty, dark quality.

In terms of genres meanwhile she could do everything from Jazz, to Motown, to RnB, to Soul, to Reggae, to Ska.

She also had the biggest impact of any artist from her generation. She made British music huge around the world again. The likes of Adele, Lady Gaga, Paloma Faith, Florence Welch, Caro Emerald, Emeli Sande, they all credited her with paving the way for them.

To those who say that she only made it big because she died, that is bullshit. Her albums were huge before her death, and all of these women credited her with paving the way for them before her death.

Obviously dying causes an artists sales to go up, but even then that only lasts for a short time.

Here we are 10 years on and Amy is still mainstream.

I remember that our former mod Adam Ant (who I never liked, and who never liked me) said that he was happy everyone forgot her 3 weeks after her death (charming thing to say, and he had the cheek to make out my posts were sexist and awful.)

Yeah everybody really forgot about Amy.

Except for the fact that Back to Black is the best selling album of the 21st century on Vinyl, and one of the best selling albums on CD too.

Here best selling Vinyl of the past 20 years.

Best Selling Vinyls

It's also the best selling Vinyl of the year 2020 too.

Back to Black Number 1 of 2020

Also when there was a film made about her life that became the highest grossing docu ever made, and won an Oscar.

Also when there was a statue erected to her.

Best female singers of the 00s? Estatua-de-amy-winehouse

Also when she was given a star on the Camden music hall of fame.

Amy Winehouse Honoured On Music Hall of Fame

Also when there were all those exhibitions about her life all over the world, for 10 years, Russia, Europe and America, (with the latest having been cancelled because of Covid 19.)

Amy Winehouse Exhibtion

Amy Winehouse: Grammy Museum

Oh and the insta event celebrating her music.

Amy WInehouse Grammy Insta Event

Yep she was definitely forgotten about. LOL LOL LOL

Truly one of a kind. After her the next best singer of that decade is Lady Gaga, but I think of the big nosed Goddess as being more of a 10s singer.

3Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:11 am

iank

iank

Not really OT but I've just discovered Paloma Faith. Incredible voice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:17 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:Not really OT but I've just discovered Paloma Faith. Incredible voice.

She does, she does.

What's your favourite song of hers.

I'm partial to Upside Down for it's 40s vibes, but I don't think you can top New York.

5Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:29 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Others for me would be the lady from Noisettes and Gwen Stefani. Paloma is also a great choice!

Amy is definitely still remembered. I hear her all the time on the radio stations I listen to. I've even heard hosts praise her after they play her songs.

Last edited by Pepsi Maxil on 1st May 2020, 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

6Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:31 am

iank

iank

So far my favourites of Paloma's are are Only Love Can Hurt Like This (which I just did a fan music vid with the other day Wink ) and Love Me as I Am. Her renditions of Never Tear Us Apart and Make Your Own Kind of Music are pretty awesome too. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:36 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Others for me would be the lady for Noisettes and Gwen Stefani. Paloma is also a great choice!

Amy is definitely still remembered. I hear her all the time on the radio stations I listen to. I've even heard hosts praise her after they play her songs.

Shingai Shoniwa is the lady from the Noisettes. She is amazing.

I love this song.

It's just such a shame they haven't done anything for a while. Shingai and Paloma were great friends for years (Still are.)

Best female singers of the 00s? Paloma+Faith+Celebrities+Front+Row+Day+One+5sO7IUkX616l

Best female singers of the 00s? Shingai-shoniwa-and-paloma-faith-at-the-jennifer-hudson-party-held-DB4WYJ

Both so gorgeous and talented. We need a colaboration pronto.

A few others who are underrated are V.V. Brown, Dionne Bromfield and Duffy.

8Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:38 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:So far my favourites of Paloma's are are Only Love Can Hurt Like This (which I just did a fan music vid with the other day Wink ) and Love Me as I Am. Her renditions of Never Tear Us Apart and Make Your Own Kind of Music are pretty awesome too. Smile

I always loved Only Love Can Hurt Like This. It was very much a standard ballad, but she gave it a lot of personality.

The video is also really sexy too. The guy in it was one lucky bastard.

9Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:40 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

AMY AMY AMY.

That is all.

Perhaps only the only singer who nearly brought The Modfather to tears:

10Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:42 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:AMY AMY AMY.

That is all.

I think I'm going to like you. Big Grin

11Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:43 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Others for me would be the lady for Noisettes and Gwen Stefani. Paloma is also a great choice!

Shingai Shoniwa is the lady from the Noisettes. She is amazing.

I love this song.

It's just such a shame they haven't done anything for a while. Shingai and Paloma were great friends for years (Still are.)

Best female singers of the 00s? Paloma+Faith+Celebrities+Front+Row+Day+One+5sO7IUkX616l

Best female singers of the 00s? Shingai-shoniwa-and-paloma-faith-at-the-jennifer-hudson-party-held-DB4WYJ

Both so gorgeous and talented. We need a colaboration pronto.

A few others who are underrated are V.V. Brown, Dionne Bromfield and Duffy.

Good song choice. This is my personal favourite:

I've always liked their style.

Man, I haven't heard about Duffy for ages! She had quite a few songs that were quite big when I was growing up. I also forgot about Kelly Clarkson.

12Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 1:29 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

burrunjor wrote:
TheCuomoDoctor wrote:AMY AMY AMY.

That is all.

I think I'm going to like you. Big Grin

Alright, i'm game - but with a caveat.

Yes to Amy.

Yes to Weller solo.

No to Jam or Style Council.

Just that simple.

13Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 10:02 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

PepsiMaxil wrote:I've always liked their style.

Man, I haven't heard about Duffy for ages! She had quite a few songs that were quite big when I was growing up. I also forgot about Kelly Clarkson.

Duffy's second album tanked quite badly, but it was later revealed this year the reason she vanished was that she was abducted, held prisoner and raped at some point.

It's unbelievable that such a thing could happen to someone like that, but she obviously needed time off to recover.

See here.

Duffy reveals rape ordeal

Such a tragedy. It's great that she's putting it behind her, and I hope we hear more from her soon.

I love that Noisettes song too. It's like a modern day Beatles track in every way, it's lyrics, the way it's sung. It's brilliant.

I just read that Shingai had to take a break because of a lunatic stalking her too.

Such a tragedy. Here are some more pics of Paloma and Shingai to stop this thread from getting too depressing.

Best female singers of the 00s? F12abfcde6566734dc10461959eef1e3--paloma-faith-breakfast-club

Best female singers of the 00s? Johnnie-walker-gold-label-reserve-party-london-united-kingdom-shutterstock-editorial-9081244b

Best female singers of the 00s? Shingai-shoniwa-and-paloma-faith-london-fashion-week-springsummer-D0HN05

14Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 12:39 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
PepsiMaxil wrote:I've always liked their style.

Duffy's second album tanked quite badly, but it was later revealed this year the reason she vanished was that she was abducted, held prisoner and raped at some point.

It's unbelievable that such a thing could happen to someone like that, but she obviously needed time off to recover.

See here.

Duffy reveals rape ordeal

Such a tragedy. It's great that she's putting it behind her, and I hope we hear more from her soon.

I love that Noisettes song too. It's like a modern day Beatles track in every way, it's lyrics, the way it's sung. It's brilliant.

I just read that Shingai had to take a break because of a lunatic stalking her too.

Such a tragedy. Here are some more pics of Paloma and Shingai to stop this thread from getting too depressing.

Best female singers of the 00s? F12abfcde6566734dc10461959eef1e3--paloma-faith-breakfast-club

Best female singers of the 00s? Johnnie-walker-gold-label-reserve-party-london-united-kingdom-shutterstock-editorial-9081244b

Best female singers of the 00s? Shingai-shoniwa-and-paloma-faith-london-fashion-week-springsummer-D0HN05

This is the one I always use to hear a lot.  She's very beautiful.

What she went through sounds absolutely horrific. I never actually knew that had happened to her. I just assumed she had faded in the background like some artists do. That's really horrible.

Nice photos. I really love seeing women hold hands!

To be honest I am starting to agree with you that the 00s had the best female singers (if that's a misquote I apologize). I've been listening to a lot from that decade recently and there's a lot of good stuff I either forgot or overlooked in the first place.

15Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 1st May 2020, 1:15 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

PepsiMaxil wrote:What she went through sounds absolutely horrific. I never actually knew that had happened to her. I just assumed she had faded in the background like some artists do. That's really horrible.

To be honest I am starting to agree with you that the 00s had the best female singers (if that's a misquote I apologize). I've been listening to a lot from that decade recently and there's a lot of good stuff I either forgot or overlooked in the first place.

It was quite a shock when she revealed that earlier this year, but at least she does seem to be past it now. (Well as much as you can be, obviously something like that sadly will always stay with you, but at least she is happy again.)

I love those pictures. Paloma and Shingai are both so gorgeous.

I think that it was a ten year period from the mid 00s to the mid 10s that was a real golden age for British female singers.

Most of them did start in the 00s, Amy, Adele, Paloma, Lily, V V Brown, Noisettes, Duffy, Florence, and even non British eccentric singers who rode in on that wave like Gaga. However all of them would go on into the 10s too, and furthermore many more like Emeli Sande, and again other non British, but still unconventional singers like Lana Del Rey and Caro Emerald really only emerged in the 10s.

It was such an awesome time. I never really liked contemporary music growing up. There was some good stuff, sure, but really it was all old bands and singers like The Beatles, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell I grew up on, so to suddenly get a whole new wave of singers who were able to hold their own with the greats was so exciting.

I am glad to have had a large and significant musical movement during my youth, and artists that I grew up with that I know the next generation will and already are listening to.

I do wonder how long it will be before I hear the next generation long to be around in the 00s LOL. All they will see will be Paloma Faith and Amy Winehouse as the crap will be filtered out and they'll think that must have been an awesome time to be alive. We'll both know better Big Grin

16Best female singers of the 00s? Empty Re: Best female singers of the 00s? 2nd May 2020, 12:34 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
PepsiMaxil wrote:What she went through sounds absolutely horrific. I never actually knew that had happened to her. I just assumed she had faded in the background like some artists do. That's really horrible.

It was quite a shock when she revealed that earlier this year, but at least she does seem to be past it now. (Well as much as you can be, obviously something like that sadly will always stay with you, but at least she is happy again.)

I love those pictures. Paloma and Shingai are both so gorgeous.

I think that it was a ten year period from the mid 00s to the mid 10s that was a real golden age for British female singers.

Most of them did start in the 00s, Amy, Adele, Paloma, Lily, V V Brown, Noisettes, Duffy, Florence, and even non British eccentric singers who rode in on that wave like Gaga. However all of them would go on into the 10s too, and furthermore many more like Emeli Sande, and again other non British, but still unconventional singers like Lana Del Rey and Caro Emerald really only emerged in the 10s.

It was such an awesome time. I never really liked contemporary music growing up. There was some good stuff, sure, but really it was all old bands and singers like The Beatles, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell I grew up on, so to suddenly get a whole new wave of singers who were able to hold their own with the greats was so exciting.

I am glad to have had a large and significant musical movement during my youth, and artists that I grew up with that I know the next generation will and already are listening to.

I do wonder how long it will be before I hear the next generation long to be around in the 00s LOL. All they will see will be Paloma Faith and Amy Winehouse as the crap will be filtered out and they'll think that must have been an awesome time to be alive. We'll both know better Big Grin

Nice to know Duffy is in a better place now. Still feel a bit sad someone could have done that to her, though. This world is not a nice place.

I only really liked film music when I was a kid. It wasn't until I was about eleven when I really got into mainstream artists.

The best artists from the Noughties for me were The Killers, Muse, The Noisettes, Lady Gaga, Timberland, Nelly Furtado, Busted, Franz Ferdinand and Ladytron. I like Amy, but I've only heard her big songs. I probably should listen to a full album so I can add more to what you've said.

I think the Noughties will be fondly remembered in about thirty years or so. I doubt I'll remember even the good stuff from the Tens when I'm older. I'm sure this decade we're living in has plenty of crap to offer itself. I sometimes wish it was still 2007.

Shout out to Helen Marnie and Mira Aroyo from Ladytron. Both great singers! Helen in particular is very talented and obviously very pretty. She looks really good around 1:11 on the Ace of Hz video. Lovely Scottish lass.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum