Ludders
Rob Filth
Pepsi Maxil
Bernard Marx
REDACTED
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

REDACTED

Both these stories are regarded as being the misfires of the Hinchcliffe era but which is the least shit to you?

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Definitely The Android Invasion. It’s not brilliant, and has a rather flawed script (especially towards the end), but there’s a nice sense of intrigue throughout the first half that keeps it interesting (contrary to Revenge), and there is a distinct spookiness to the first two or so episodes even if the title gives the game away. It’s also got much better direction than Revenge, which is exceptionally dull and stilted, and the Cybermen themselves are crap in it. Revenge and Silver Nemesis were definitely the low points of the Cybermen within the classic series, although both are still much more earnest than most of NuWho’s shite Cybermen stories.

I’ve honestly come to enjoy Android Invasion all the more over the years, whereas Revenge has only got worse over time.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Android Invasion. Revenge of the Cybermen is the biggest misfire of the classic series as far as I'm concerned.

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

"Android Invasion" is undoubtedly the best of the two, in fact I'm not sure why it has such a disregard because although maybe not as strong as some of the other stories that season I still regard it as a classic.

The first two episodes are incredibly creepy and intriguing and it's probably one of the most grittiest UNIT stories since Pertwee's first season(despite the Brig not being in it). Styggron getting his face caved in to a green mushy pulp by the Doctors robot double is fantastic too. 

"Revenge" is just dull by comparison.

The dullest Hinchcliffe story is undoubtedly "Masque of the Mandragora" however. That one is as easily shit as anything during Williams Key To Time season.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Ludders

Ludders

Personally I’d rather watch either of these two than Hand of Fear....

iank

iank

They're both pretty terrible. I saw Revenge again last month.
So boring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Ludders wrote:Personally I’d rather watch either of these two than Hand of Fear....
I'd still rather watch Hand Of Fear to Masque of Mandraboring.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Ludders

Ludders

I used to think that too, but I surprised myself by quite enjoying it on a recent re-watch.

iank

iank

I like Masque...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

stengos

stengos

I liked both of them but Android Invasion has the edge. I don't find Revenge at all dull although i accept some of the direction seems a tad plodding at times but then it had cracking performances by David Collings, Michael Wisher and Kevin Stoney.

Of those i have seen the only classic series cyberman story that misfires is silver nemesis with its amdram acting, overall level of nauseating tedium and annoying infantile synth music score. Its sole good point was Anton Differing but then he acted as if he didn't fully understand what was going on and desperately wanted to be somewhere else - but then who can blame him for that.

One of the most enjoyable cybermen stories is perhaps Spare Parts - the Big Finish story by Marc Platt and starring Derren Nesbitt, Paul Copely and Sally Knyvette with the fifth Doctor. Such a shame it never got properly adapted for tv but then if it had been, Davy-TwatMoff-BallChin would have screwed it up anyway.

Last edited by stengos on 28th February 2020, 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Neither of them are 'shit' per se, but I think Android Invasion is the more colourful and rewatchable of the two (despite it almost being as full of holes as RTD's shite).

Fendelman

Fendelman

Masque is in my top 10.

Hand of Fear > Android Invasion > Revenge

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum