You are not connected. Please login or register

Gallifrey Base: A Froum Hitler would have thought was a bit too fascistic.

+12
Boofer
#BeKind
Tanmann
Genkimonk
UncleDeadly
iank
ClockworkOcean
Doctor7
Ludders
Bernard Marx
Pepsi Maxil
The Brigade Leader
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:The sad reality is that most internet forums suck. I got suspended from a forum a few days ago despite being a member for a mere two days! I had only posted six times and half of those were messages thanking members who welcomed me. I must have broken one of their six billion rules or something  Rolling Eyes
Did they never say why you were banned, Maxil?

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:
Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:The sad reality is that most internet forums suck. I got suspended from a forum a few days ago despite being a member for a mere two days! I had only posted six times and half of those were messages thanking members who welcomed me. I must have broken one of their six billion rules or something  Rolling Eyes

No. I clicked on the site and all I got was an "Account Suspended" page.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

Strange. Did you perhaps venture a dissenting opinion to another member? That seems to be the reason for many bannings elsewhere. LOL

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bernard Marx wrote:
Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

Strange. Did you perhaps venture a dissenting opinion to another member? That seems to be the reason for many bannings elsewhere. LOL

No, all I did was proclaim my love for an episode of a show that the majority of that particular fandom hates. The post couldn't have been misinterpreted as me trolling as I was very polite about it. I'm starting to wonder whether the site has been suspended rather than me as a member.

Boofer

Boofer

I can sign in to my account, but I can't post, read spoilers, etc.

Not that I ever used it much anyway. Doesn't matter where I try it from either.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

The members on the gamefaq politcs board are mostly extremely ignorant Americans.

For a long time they were bashing Japan, saying stuff like they deserve the earthquakes and natural disasters because of their actions in WW2. They made sweeping statements like the majority of the Japanese feel they didn't do anything wrong. This is just bullshit. I said so, and pointed out the falsehoods. I also pointed out how the US is not this knight in shining armor of justice, and is guilty of some of the worst war crimes. Fuck, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are those, but as the victors, history won't address that. God banned.

So I started pointing out ever instance of American aggression in Japan by their goons in the military. I posted a list of crimes, including the rape of children by US soldiers. Banned for 2 weeks. I posted how the US is actually an invader in Syria because they were not invited by the government. Banned 2 months.

It's been going on for a while now. My last post was about some ignorant yanks taking their masks off on the ship in Yokohama and shouting "USA, USA!" in the ignorant jingoistic fashion these scum do. I argued that this was a contamination risk, and that it is this sort of idiotic behaviour shouldn't be allowed. I'm now banned for 90 days.

Gamefaqs is an absolute fucking joke. No free speech at all if you are critical towards the US.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Genkimonk wrote:The members on the gamefaq politcs board are mostly extremely ignorant Americans.

For a long time they were bashing Japan, saying stuff like they deserve the earthquakes and natural disasters because of their actions in WW2. They made sweeping statements like the majority of the Japanese feel they didn't do anything wrong. This is just bullshit. I said so, and pointed out the falsehoods. I also pointed out how the US is not this knight in shining armor of justice, and is guilty of some of the worst war crimes. Fuck, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are those, but as the victors, history won't address that. God banned.

So I started pointing out ever instance of American aggression in Japan by their goons in the military. I posted a list of crimes, including the rape of children by US soldiers. Banned for 2 weeks. I posted how the US is actually an invader in Syria because they were not invited by the government. Banned 2 months.

It's been going on for a while now. My last post was about some ignorant yanks taking their masks off on the ship in Yokohama and shouting "USA, USA!" in the ignorant jingoistic fashion these scum do. I argued that this was a contamination risk, and that it is this sort of idiotic behaviour shouldn't be allowed. I'm now banned for 90 days.

Gamefaqs is an absolute fucking joke. No free speech at all if you are critical towards the US.

I don't think America should even need Syria's permission to go in and take out ISIS.

If Syria can't prevent, or has allowed itself to have its territory overtaken by terrorist militias setting up their own state within a state, then that kind of renders Syria's sovereignty null and void, and the portion of the country that no longer belongs to Assad is fair game now for attack. Especially if that insurgent ISIS state has declared war on the West, then it's the West's right to go in and take them out. As far as I'm concerned, ISIS should just be exterminated as quickly as possible.

Also, why aren't you equally up in arms about Turkey's invasion of Syria to kill the Kurdish resistance?

As for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I really don't want to defend that, but frankly weighing that up against Japan's horrific war crimes (I started reading a book on The Rape of Nanking, and it was so horrific I couldn't finish it), I have to consider America's actions the lesser of the two evils, as at least it was done with the aim of ending Japan's reign of terror, whereas Japan's actions were about propagating more of it.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Tanmann wrote:
Genkimonk wrote:The members on the gamefaq politcs board are mostly extremely ignorant Americans.

I don't think America should even need Syria's permission to go in and take out ISIS.

If Syria can't prevent, or has allowed itself to have its territory overtaken by terrorist militias setting up their own state within a state, then that kind of renders Syria's sovereignty null and void, and the portion of the country that no longer belongs to Assad is fair game now for attack. Especially if that insurgent ISIS state has declared war on the West, then it's the West's right to go in and take them out. As far as I'm concerned, ISIS should just be exterminated as quickly as possible.

Also, why aren't you equally up in arms about Turkey's invasion of Syria to kill the Kurdish resistance?

As for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I really don't want to defend that, but frankly weighing that up against Japan's horrific war crimes (I started reading a book on The Rape of Nanking, and it was so horrific I couldn't finish it), I have to consider America's actions the lesser of the two evils, as at least it was done with the aim of ending Japan's reign of terror, whereas Japan's actions were about propagating more of it.

Assad was fighting ISIS. He sought help from others to do this, America not being one of them. I stand by my absolute belief that unless you are attacked by a country on an official basis, you have no right to get involved. Syria has never attacked the US, and ISIS do not represent the official position of Syria.

Assad may be a dick, but it is his duty to deal with them.

The problem is that the US won't work with him because of what he does to his own people. It makes them look bad. However, I still think they should have still worked with him and the official government to rid Syria of ISIS. The fate of Assad is for that of the Syrian people. No one else.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Genkimonk wrote:Assad was fighting ISIS. He sought help from others to do this, America not being one of them.

That's not what I've been told.

The Manchester Maritime Museum had an event on two years ago where Syrians who'd fled the Assad regime would tell their story. Many of them said that whilst Assad hit most rebel groups as hard as he could, the way they see it, he deliberately exercised kid gloves with ISIS and effectively allowed them to take over much of the country to force the people to his side for protection.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Well, even so. America still has no right to go in. Assad has not asked them to, so they have no legal grounds to.

#BeKind wrote:Hive geting triggererd coz Gallifray Base gets more traffick LOL LOL LOL

Even DWO gets more traffic than The Hive and that place has really gone to the dogs

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Che Span wrote:
#BeKind wrote:Hive geting triggererd coz Gallifray Base gets more traffick LOL LOL LOL

Even DWO gets more traffic than The Hive and that place has really gone to the dogs

We're a very small forum in comparison.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I got banned from there for copying and pasting

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I fucking typed it, you cuntz

first offence as well

Zarius

Zarius

Rawkuss wrote:I got banned from there for copying and pasting

To show how thorough they are at that, they even traced my copy/pasting to 4chan.

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Update for those of you fortunate enough not to have an account:

Burrunjor is now being accused of wanting the Doctor to become a rapist. Why? Because he argued that continuity is an essential element of good storytelling. The same lunatic who made this accusation had the nerve to whine that burrunjor wasn't arguing in good faith. After burrunjor made a sarcastic response pointing out the absurdity of suggesting that turning Troughton or Pertwee into a rapist wouldn't be breach in continuity, Omie threatened to get him banned for "attacking" Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee. A moderator has now locked the thread so that it can be "cleaned up", meaning that most of burrunjor's posts will be removed, while the few that remain will be heavily edited so that they conform to the strawman arguments everyone has been replying to, and contain abusive, racist and sexist content he didn't post which will be used as a pretext for banning him.

Truly Orwellian stuff. Shudder

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:Update for those of you fortunate enough not to have an account:

Burrunjor is now being accused of wanting the Doctor to become a rapist. Why? Because he argued that continuity is an essential element of good storytelling. The same lunatic who made this accusation had the nerve to whine that burrunjor wasn't arguing in good faith. After burrunjor made a sarcastic response pointing out the absurdity of suggesting that turning Troughton or Pertwee into a rapist wouldn't be breach in continuity, Omie threatened to get him banned for "attacking" Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee. A moderator has now locked the thread so that it can be "cleaned up", meaning that most of burrunjor's posts will be removed, while the few that remain will be heavily edited so that they conform to the strawman arguments everyone has been replying to, and contain abusive, racist and sexist content he didn't post which will be used as a pretext for banning him.

It was a hysterical conversation. Posting on that site is like a car crash, you try to look away but can't. I'm going to really make an effort not too now though as I think I've proved my point.

In the end they had to shut me up the old fashioned way.

I'm glad other people have seen the thread though so they can't edit my words or anything.

Trying to make out that I said the Doctor is a rapist was a new low even for them.

It still baffles me how people can have this self loathing fanboy mentality of "continuity is just a thing for nerds?"

It's a basic facet of writing. How are you supposed to develop characters if there is no continuity? Take a look at say Buffy. If there is not continuity at all, how could we follow her development from a young, fresh faced Slayer to a college freshman, to a working woman, to the head of a Slayer army?

No continuity could potentially mean one week she is a teenager, the next a single mother, the next a misogynistic man LOL.

It's absurd to pretend that a few continuity mistakes are the same thing as no canon? I think that view is thankfully dying out now as before they would have just laughed at me, where as now they have to silence me.

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:It was a hysterical conversation. Posting on that site is like a car crash, you try to look away but can't. I'm going to really make an effort not too now though as I think I've proved my point.

I'm glad other people have seen the thread though so they can't edit my words or anything.

Trying to make out that I said the Doctor is a rapist was a new low even for them.

It still baffles me how people can have this self loathing fanboy mentality of "continuity is just a thing for nerds?"

It's a basic facet of writing. How are you supposed to develop characters if there is no continuity? Take a look at say Buffy. If there is not continuity at all, how could we follow her development from a young, fresh faced Slayer to a college freshman, to a working woman, to the head of a Slayer army?

No continuity could potentially mean one week she is a teenager, the next a single mother, the next a misogynistic man LOL.

It's absurd to pretend that a few continuity mistakes are the same thing as no canon? I think that view is thankfully dying out now as before they would have just laughed at me, where as now they have to silence me.

It's beyond absurd that this even a matter of debate. Continuity is the most basic prerequisite for emotional investment in any story or character. If nothing that happens matters, why on earth should the audience care? As you've already pointed out, minor mistakes such as Atlantis and the UNIT dating inconsistency from creative teams who tried their utmost to maintain consistency are in no way comparable to the deliberate trashing of a character's entire backstory and motivations.

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:
burrunjor wrote:It was a hysterical conversation. Posting on that site is like a car crash, you try to look away but can't. I'm going to really make an effort not too now though as I think I've proved my point.

It's beyond absurd that this even a matter of debate. Continuity is the most basic prerequisite for emotional investment in any story or character. If nothing that happens matters, why on earth should the audience care? As you've already pointed out, minor mistakes such as Atlantis and the UNIT dating inconsistency from creative teams who tried their utmost to maintain consistency are in no way comparable to the deliberate trashing of a character's entire backstory and motivations.

It's quite fascinating how far self loathing fanboyism can go isn't it? They are so terrified of being seen as Ian Levine types obsessed with continuity to the point that it alienates viewers, that they have embraced another extreme which is just as harmful.

Why can't continuity just be something that you stick to for the big things, like don't blow up the earth in the 20s, if you're bringing an old character back try and do something new with them, but write them in character and if there is a story arc continue and at least resolve it, but most of the time you don't have to mention the past. IE just set a story on a new planet, make new monsters, and have new characters.

Apparently for saying that I am the worst type of fan imaginable. LOL LOL LOL

I blame cunty panel shows for fostering this fandom insecurity and neurosis. I think the way they treated True Who in the 90s and 00s was shameful. I think I'll start a thread about why panel show comedians are cunts later. I already wrote an article about it, but I wouldn't expect anyone (including myself LOL) to be arsed tracking it down.

Basically I accused Panel shows of always punching down and ganging up on people when it's trendy to bully them. DW IMO was a victim of this in the 90s/00s. It's one thing to make a joke about it being cheap, but to bring in the guy who killed it to basically gloat HAHAHAHAHA and then put it into Room 101 is really kicking someone when they're down. Old school comedians like Peter Cook and Rik Mayall tended to punch up rather than down.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

ClockworkOcean wrote:Update for those of you fortunate enough not to have an account:

It really sickens me how they treat him over there. Most of them sound like vile bullies.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:It's quite fascinating how far self loathing fanboyism can go isn't it? They are so terrified of being seen as Ian Levine types obsessed with continuity to the point that it alienates viewers, that they have embraced another extreme which is just as harmful.

Why can't continuity just be something that you stick to for the big things, like don't blow up the earth in the 20s, if you're bringing an old character back try and do something new with them, but write them in character and if there is a story arc continue and at least resolve it, but most of the time you don't have to mention the past. IE just set a story on a new planet, make new monsters, and have new characters.

I blame cunty panel shows for fostering this fandom insecurity and neurosis. I think the way they treated True Who in the 90s and 00s was shameful. I think I'll start a thread about why panel show comedians are cunts later. I already wrote an article about it, but I wouldn't expect anyone (including myself LOL) to be arsed tracking it down.

Basically I accused Panel shows of always punching down and ganging up on people when it's trendy to bully them. DW IMO was a victim of this in the 90s/00s. It's one thing to make a joke about it being cheap, but to bring in the guy who killed it to basically gloat HAHAHAHAHA and then put it into Room 101 is really kicking someone when they're down. Old school comedians like Peter Cook and Rik Mayall tended to punch up rather than down.

I've been looking at the thread in question, and the guy talking about watching Tom Baker as a child, and not being concerned about canon.

And in a sense he's right that sometimes at that age, that's not really a thing you're usually concerned about. You're typically going to be more caught up in the magic of the moment and not really concerned about the history of the show. You tend to just go with whatever make-believe the show offers, regardless if it gets contradicted in a later episode.

I distinctly remember watching Genesis of the Daleks and then Revelation of the Daleks in the 1993 repeat season, and was half of the impression that Revelation actually might be a remake and retelling of Genesis than necessarily a distant sequel, and it might be an interesting viewing of how the story might be told differently this time...... but the point is, at that age I was willing to go with that interpretation as well.

But the appeal of the show is cross-generational, so that, firstly those older in the viewing demographic who do care about cause and effect and the history adding up, have a reason to still invest..... and secondly so that those younger fans appreciate the show's storytelling more for those reasons later in life.

The show shouldn't be made exclusively with that kid's mindset ruling its storytelling, in which nothing else matters. Just as it shouldn't be ruled by the Ian Levine approach in the way it was in the 80's, because then you're alienating the newcomer kids.

But the thinking seems to be so much that the Ian Levine approach was a problem (it was), and that it's imperative to get back to the Tom Baker fun, that they've gone the other way to deciding the only modern way to preserve their love of the show that's let them down so often and been so mocked by the mainstream, is to buy entirely into the importance of the 'inner child' mantra, which at this point is feeling like something of a cult.

And like I've often said, the approach of destroying canon to close the door to the Ian Levine influence has become seen as a valiant act. It's the whole 'burning Moscow to save Russia' thing.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:

It really sickens me how they treat him over there. Most of them sound like vile bullies.

Aww thanks, it doesn't bother me though. I admit I was a bit of a trouble maker there, but only because simply voicing an opinion can be seen as being a trouble maker LOL

At times like this I do miss the IMDB page as there were some more moderate New Who fans you could debate with, without it getting ugly.

They were more Moffat centric, but a friendlier bunch.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Tanmann wrote:
burrunjor wrote:It's quite fascinating how far self loathing fanboyism can go isn't it? They are so terrified of being seen as Ian Levine types obsessed with continuity to the point that it alienates viewers, that they have embraced another extreme which is just as harmful.

I've been looking at the thread in question, and the guy talking about watching Tom Baker as a child, and not being concerned about canon.

And in a sense he's right that sometimes at that age, that's not really a thing you're usually concerned about. You're typically going to be more caught up in the magic of the moment and not really concerned about the history of the show. You tend to just go with whatever make-believe the show offers, regardless if it gets contradicted in a later episode.

I distinctly remember watching Genesis of the Daleks and then Revelation of the Daleks in the 1993 repeat season, and was half of the impression that Revelation actually might be a remake and retelling of Genesis than necessarily a distant sequel, and it might be an interesting viewing of how the story might be told differently this time...... but the point is, at that age I was willing to go with that interpretation as well.

But the appeal of the show is cross-generational, so that, firstly those older in the viewing demographic who do care about cause and effect and the history adding up, have a reason to still invest..... and secondly so that those younger fans appreciate the show's storytelling more for those reasons later in life.

The show shouldn't be made exclusively with that kid's mindset ruling its storytelling, in which nothing else matters. Just as it shouldn't be ruled by the Ian Levine approach in the way it was in the 80's, because then you're alienating the newcomer kids.

But the thinking seems to be so much that the Ian Levine approach was a problem (it was), and that it's imperative to get back to the Tom Baker fun, that they've gone the other way to deciding the only modern way to preserve their love of the show that's let them down so often and been so mocked by the mainstream, is to buy entirely into the importance of the 'inner child' mantra, which at this point is feeling like something of a cult.

And like I've often said, the approach of destroying canon to close the door to the Ian Levine influence has become seen as a valiant act. It's the whole 'burning Moscow to save Russia' thing.

Exactly that's the point I tried to raise there over and over and over and over again. (I take it you saw the dig at you too? God it's hilarious the way they remember who has insulted New Who as a heretic LOL.)

The all change is good, we need to smash up the past to do good DW formula is every bit as extreme as let's revel in continuity to an absurd degree.

The funny thing is is that both are an example of the horse shoe effect in that they both lead to the same thing. Alienating your mainstream audience because you are too wrapped up in yourself.

The latest Chibnall effort was not accessible to mainstream audiences at all. It was extremely lore heavy, but that's because it was focusing too much on rewriting the past, because that's the cult like mantra now.

In the end if you just accepted continuity as a backdrop, but focused on building on the lore it would be better, but well you saw me make these points only to be ignored.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

burrunjor wrote:I take it you saw the dig at you too? God it's hilarious the way they remember who has insulted  New Who as a heretic LOL.

I did indeed. But that guy is a particular weirdo who's been tailing me from forum to forum for ten years now. Infact I'm pretty convinced he was behind the malicious 'Tanlee' account here. He might be behind #BeKind too.

He's a creep who's best avoided.

I actually tried to outface him and had a Facebook confrontation with him a few years ago in which he pulled a fake suicide on me, and even had me convinced for a few days. It was quite sick really.

The funny thing is is that both are an example of the horse shoe effect in that they both lead to the same thing. Alienating your mainstream audience because you are too wrapped up in yourself.

The latest Chibnall effort was not accessible to mainstream audiences at all. It was extremely lore heavy, but that's because it was focusing too much on rewriting the past, because that's the cult like mantra now.

Indeed, and I really wasn't expecting it to go down that route under Chibnall.

Series 11 at least seemed like it was trying its best not to alienate any newcomers, and I think the only thing that really made it fail to achieve mainstream success was that it wasn't very good and many just couldn't get behind Jodie's Doctor.

But Series 12 really did seem like it went into overdrive in a new, extreme anti-Levine direction that was just going to mean nothing to the casual audience. And it's hard to know who this was meant to serve other than either the SJW crowd, or Chibnall's desire to spite his critics completely.

It does indeed feel like 'going against what *those* kind of fans want' has stopped even being about any anti-Levine backlash, or a pragmatic view that keeping things populist and winning the casual audience over is what counts, and become just a manic, spiteful, obsessive ends in itself, that a lot of the GB crowd will manically go along with.

Ludders

Ludders

Why would anyone bother with the PC third reich of forums that is GB? Is it some kinda martyrdom thing?
I mean, what do you expect?
It's like a woman deliberately choosing to go hang out in Saudi Arabia, and then complaining coz she had to wear a headscarf.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum