Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Which script editor do you prefer?

2Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:49 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Cartmel.

I feel like he believed in the show and the Doctor, in a way Saward simply didn't.

In Cartmel's hands the Doctor came off as a maverick. In Saward's he came off unfit for purpose.

In fairness to Saward, I think he would've been an okay guest writer. But not someone who should've guided the direction of the show.

3Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:49 pm

REDACTED

Bidmead. Wink

4Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:50 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Smartarse LOL

5Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bidmead. Wink

Boring Bidmead.

6Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:54 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bidmead. Wink

Another vote for Bidmead.

7Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 7:54 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:Cartmel.

I feel like he believed in the show and the Doctor, in a way Saward simply didn't.

In Cartmel's hands the Doctor came off as a maverick. In Saward's he came off unfit for purpose.

In fairness to Saward, I think he would've been an okay guest writer. But not someone who should've guided the direction of the show.

Cartmel had a clear vision. Nothing really connects any of the Saward era scripts. There doesn't seem to be an overall goal.

8Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:37 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The true classics of the Saward era for me were Kinda, Earthshock, Snakedance, Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, Frontios, Resurrection of the Daleks, The Two Doctors and Revelation of the Daleks There's also some really good stuff like The Five Doctors,Attack of the Cybermen and even Vervoids. He was script editor for twenty-six stories so there was clearly a problem in terms of consistency. Cartmel was script editor for twelve stories and I consider at least seven of those to be proper classic material.

9Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:44 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think Saward just got demoralized and apathetic more easily than Cartmel did. I don't think he was quite prepared for the job.

10Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:51 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

I saw Eric in Leeds a few years back. I told him how wonderful he was and how  brilliant his era was. He told me how grateful he was to hear such kind and courteous words. It was only later that I found out that Douglas Adams was actually dead and that I had spoken to some guy called Eric Saward. I'm forever confusing people.

Last edited by Ken Grubshaw on 13th February 2020, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

11Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:51 pm

REDACTED

Most of Saward's scripts were great with Resurrection being the only weak one IMO. I always thought he would've been a better script editor for Blake's 7 or at least just the occasional writer for Who.

12Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:54 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

Indrid Mercury wrote:Most of Saward's scripts were great with Resurrection being the only weak one IMO. I always thought he would've been a better script editor for Blake's 7 or at least just the occasional writer for Who.

Someone told me in 1982 that the fifth series was in production. Is this still the case? I can't find any information about it in the telly guide.

13Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:55 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Just comparing them by the seasons: Saward had 19 and 20 which were two of the best and way better than any of Cartmel's. Then, he had two weaker seasons: 21 and 23, and one good season: 22. Cartmel had two weaker seasons: 24-25, and one good season: 26.

Saward wrote a few scripts: he had one I really like a lot in The Visitation, and the others were just ok.

I think Cartmel had this idea that the Doctor was going to turn out to be one of these big figures in Time Lord history like Rassilon and Omega. But we never got to see how it turned out because the bastards at the BBC cancelled the show after season 26.

I think given what was actually made I have to go with Saward, but given what might have been if we had a few more seasons - who knows? But I'll still take Bidmead over both. Big Grin

14Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:56 pm

REDACTED

Ken Grubshaw wrote:
Indrid Mercury wrote:Most of Saward's scripts were great with Resurrection being the only weak one IMO. I always thought he would've been a better script editor for Blake's 7 or at least just the occasional writer for Who.

Someone told me in 1982 that the fifth series was in production. Is this still the case? I can't find any information about it in the telly guide.

I'll tell ya if you promise to stop sending me KKK propaganda videos in the mail!

15Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 8:58 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I always feel the problem with Saward is he seemed to want to turn Doctor Who into a Blakes 7-wannabe.

16Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:23 pm

iank

iank

Cartmel. Big ideas, seemed to have no trouble finding new writers, and displayed a bit more professionalism than ol' Eric in developing his lead characters, while Eric decided that both Davison and Colin were miscast so couldn't be bothered to do his job for them. Er... Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

17Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:27 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Cartmel is a very intelligent man. I think he's wrong about The Destroyer costume, though. No NuWho monster has ever looked as striking as that guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-22617439/have-80s-doctor-who-special-effects-stood-test-of-time

"We're so outclassed by what they're doing now"

Oh, Andrew.

18Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:30 pm

iank

iank

Oh for heaven's sake...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

19Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

We forgive him though because he's Andrew Cartmel Big Grin

20Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:31 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

it's ironic him talking about the advances of high definition media in an online video where the buffering is so shit.

21Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:34 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

It's one of those typical "what we did was shit and what they're doing now is awesome" things. I just don't understand it. Surely he knew the limitations of the time?

22Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:35 pm

REDACTED

The Destroyer was one of the best realized villains of the original series and an clear example that the McCoy era was far from the cheap childish pantomime that a lot of fandom make it out to be whilst praising NuWho for being the same thing.

23Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:38 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Ancient One was another great looking monster. They both have a really cool, unique look to them.

There's nothing particularly unique about this lot:

Saward or Cartmel? Slithe10

24Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:41 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Ancient One was another great looking monster. They both have a really cool, unique look to them.

The Slitheen look bloody awful by comparison. They’re basically the archetypal shit looking “man in a rubber suit” that TruWho was unfairly condemned for allegedly having. NuWho has always been creatively vacuous when compared to any era of TruWho.

25Saward or Cartmel? Empty Re: Saward or Cartmel? 13th February 2020, 9:42 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Pepsi Maxil wrote:The Ancient One was another great looking monster. They both have a really cool, unique look to them.

It still baffles me to this day that Aliens of London/World War III didn't see the revival die on its arse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum