You are not connected. Please login or register

Personal irritants that prevent you from enjoying nuwho.

+7
Pepsi Maxil
burrunjor
Bill
Genkimonk
iank
Ludders
The Brigade Leader
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Here are a couple of mine that drive me crazy:

1. Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink, Too cool for school cringe inducing dialogue.

Example: "Nobody mention Frankenstein. Nobody interfere. Nobody snog Byron" - Oh just go away.

2. The Doctor using UK regional accents and colloquialisms, and more importantly characters pointing it out:

OK. So in the real world the actors playing the Doctor (an ancient alien from a far off world) may have regional accents,
For example Sylvester had a very mild Scots accent, but the script never drew attention to it.

A regional accent is gained through emersion in that area from childhood or an extended period within those environs.
Nuwho seems to go out of its way to point out the accent of the doctor and in doing so weakens the mystic of the character, and just makes everything tongue in cheek.

Capaldi - "I've gone Scottish" - What?
Eccleston - "Lots of planets have a north" - Yes but only one planet has a north West of England.

3. The Doctor becoming a legend in his own eyes.

WE as viewers know and love the Doctor and consider him a legend, but when the character himself starts bragging it all becomes cringe worthy -

Examples: "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm nine hundred and three years old and I'm the man who's going to save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

Example - "So, if you’re sitting up there in your silly little spaceship with all…your…silly…little guns…and you’ve got any plans on taking The Pandorica TONIGHT, just REMEMBER who’s standing in your way. REMEMBER every black day I ever stopped you, and then, AND. THEN. AND THEN. — DO the SMART THING…let somebody else try first."

Example - "I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Anybody got any more things about nuwho that make their teeth itch? Mad

Ludders

Ludders

Your No.3 is particularly eye rolling.
One of the naffest things about NuWho's up its own arse smugness. The Doctor did the same thing the Daleks. The doctor as this Self-aggrandising space and time legend. It's putrid shit.

All I would add is the OTT eccentricity of the character. Eccleston was simply crap at portraying eccentricity, but it was really Tennant where it got cringeworthy. He might as well have been wearing a T-shirt saying 'Look how eccentric I am', and gone around shouting I'M ECCENTRIC! I'M ECCENTRIC! I'M ECCENTRIC! at everyone including the camera. And apart from it being toned down for early Matt Smith (though gradually ratcheted up to Tennant levels again) Capaldi was the same. NuWho just can't do anything with any level of subtlety whatsoever.

iank

iank

All of the above, plus the eye-rollingly tiresome romantic shite.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

Backslapping writers as if they did something groundbreaking.

Rewriting previous who history for woke reasons.

Pandering to SJWs.

Dumbing down of the show to appeal to the American audience.

The fucking music.

The fact NO ONE talks like how anyone in the real world would talk.

The fact NOT ONE CHARACTER acts like a normal person would do.

The fact every character is now gay, as if its some big fucking deal.

Bill

The way the show misinterprets eccentricity as “zaniness”.

The Doctor no longer being an absolutely fascinating character. It’s like The Doctor was a mature, wise adult in the original show, and now perpetually shows the irritating aspects of an immature teenager. With Tennant (and sometimes Smith) he was also frequently horny - something utterly alien to the original show.

The absolute nadir, for me, was Tennant’s Doctor bragging about his conquest of “The Virgin Queen”. Utterly without shame, and the show expecting the audience to applaud. The first seven Doctors would have not been impressed.

burrunjor

burrunjor

The its all about change mantra.

I know old ground for me, but I think its the root of all problems in New Who.

Its all about change simply amounts to "I don't want to write the Doctor." And worse its supported by pathetic self loathing fanboys who are so insecure about the character not being popular and trendy, they will whore the franchise out to any fad, from reality tv, to SJWs, regardless of how bad it is. I'm so glad that their luck has finally run out with the SJW craze.

Yes there were changes in Classic Who, but those were different. They were introduced near the beginning of the characters history, when he was more of a blank slate.

Its like Batman. When Batman first showed up, he was just a generic crime fighter. Then piece by piece people revealed that he fought crime because his parents died, that he was really Bruce Wayne etc. Once those things were filled in, then that was it. You couldn't go back and say Batman's parents are alive, and have been the whole time, and when people complain say "Oh I'm just doing what the original writers did when they revealed Batman's parents were killed. That was a change if you're opposed to this, you'd have been opposed to that.

No one is saying that you can't bring in the odd retcon now and again, but even then you have to be careful. Look at how Alan Moore retconned the Jokers origin to see the difference.

Alan Moore wrote:"[ The Joker has ] a kind of muddy kind of origin. They’d said that he’d been the leader of a criminal gang called the Red Hood Mob and that while trying to escape from Batman he’d swum across this river of chemicals...That was about it and this was from a story from, like, the late ’50s or something and so I thought “Okay, I won’t contradict that,” because I kind of believe in working by the rules of the material as it already exists but I can put a lot of spin on that."

Now compare that to Paul Cornell, Steven Moffat, Chinballs and their "I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT TOO."

I'd also argue that the all about change crap makes New Who shit in its own right. There is no continuity at all. Again I'm not saying flood it full of continuity references, or that you can't make mistakes.

New Who however go to the effort of building stories up for years, andn then just abandon them. Like what has happened to the 20 million Zygons left on earth? No fucking way would UNIT and Torchwood be shut down if there was still 20 million aliens living among us. Similarly why do the FAM not know who the Cybermen are? Every dead person on earth became one just 6 years ago!

This isn't keeping the casual viewer in mind, or doing what DW always does. Its just fucking lazy, poor writing, but sadly the its all about change mantra lets them get away with it. That mantra needs to die before anything else, even pandering to SJWs.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Bill wrote:The way the show misinterprets eccentricity as “zaniness”.

The Doctor no longer being an absolutely fascinating character. It’s like The Doctor was a mature, wise adult in the original show, and now perpetually shows the irritating aspects of an immature teenager. With Tennant (and sometimes Smith) he was also frequently horny - something utterly alien to the original show.

The absolute nadir, for me, was Tennant’s Doctor bragging about his conquest of “The Virgin Queen”. Utterly without shame, and the show expecting the audience to applaud. The first seven Doctors would have not been impressed.

Agreed with all of that, but I'd also like to add that I dislike the Doctor as a mopey, tragic character too.

To me the Doctor was brilliant because he was actually straight forward, and something of an escapist character.

He lived the life we all wanted. He lives in a giant, beautiful house (The Tardis) filled with all the food and drink he could ever want, swimming pools, gardens, art galleries, libraries, entertainment, and he never has to deal with every day worries like a job, a place to sleep, food etc. Its all provided by the TARDIS. Hell even getting old and sick, he'll just regenerate (up to a point) and he can go anywhere he wants too.

He can have lunch with Jimi Hendrix, work out with Bruce Lee in the afternoon and then have tea with Albert Einstein.

He LOVES his life, why wouldn't he? No responsibilities, no worries, he can do what he wants. That's what made him so endearing. He was quite selfish in some ways, as he didn't always want to get involved, like in The Key To Time. He'd probably rather just hang out with the Beatles, but always did the right thing anyway. It was quite unique to have an almost reluctant hero, as opposed to Batman or Spider-Man who are on a mission.

New Who however changed it so that he wants nothing more than a normal life, and he hates travelling alone, but he has to because his people are gone.

It not only destroyed a lot of what made him unique and turned him into a poor man's Angel. It also took away his status as a scientist who wanted to discover new life forms for scientific research.

See here.

Paul Cornell wrote:SARAH: Wrote his number on the back of my hand.
STUART: Never got rid of her since. My dad said.
SARAH: I don't know what this is all about, and I know we're not important.
DOCTOR: Who said you're not important? I've travelled to all sorts of places, done things you couldn't even imagine, but you two. Street corner, two in the morning, getting a taxi home. I've never had a life like that. Yes. I'll try and save you.

RTD wrote:Here you are, living a life day after day. The one adventure I can never have.

Paul Cornell or RTD who cares wrote:DOCTOR: Did you see?
JOAN: The Time Lord has such adventures, but he could never have a life like that.
DOCTOR: And yet I could.
JOAN: What are you going to do?

Compare that to the True Who Doctor.

Robert Holmes wrote: ENGIN: You know, Doctor, if you wanted to stay, I'm sure any past difficulties could be overlooked.
DOCTOR: But I like it out there, thank you very much.

Terrance Dicks wrote:TURLOUGH: You told Chancellor Flavia
DOCTOR 5: I told her she had full deputy powers until I returned.
TEGAN: You're not going back?
DOCTOR 5: You know, sometimes, Tegan, you take my breath away.
TURLOUGH: Er, won't the Time Lords be very angry?
DOCTOR 5: Furious.
TEGAN: You mean you're deliberately choosing to go on the run from your own people in a rackety old Tardis?
DOCTOR 5: Why not? After all, that's how it all started.

Kit Pedler and Gerry Davies wrote:So remember, our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing. There's nobody in the universe can do what we're doing.

You get the idea.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The fact that the writers behind the show have contempt for fans like us. The cultist behaviour of those involved with the show and the way they resort to bullying people with a different opinion is perhaps the most off-putting thing. It really is quite funny, isn't it? They preach love, kindness and respect and yet they show anything but!

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Maxil's nailed it.

Even as someone who thought myself a casual fan at best in the beginning of the revival (anything beyond the Hinchcliffe era I could take or leave), it was nauseatingly clear that for all the talk of wanting to make the show for 'everybody', the show was, if anything, even more tainted and characterized by sordid, petty fan politics than it had been even in the 80's. More belligerently so in many ways. And it often made for nasty, unpleasant viewing.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

burrunjor wrote:
Bill wrote:The way the show misinterprets eccentricity as “zaniness”.

Agreed with all of that, but I'd also like to add that I dislike the Doctor as a mopey, tragic character too.

To me the Doctor was brilliant because he was actually straight forward, and something of an escapist character.

He lived the life we all wanted. He lives in a giant, beautiful house (The Tardis) filled with all the food and drink he could ever want, swimming pools, gardens, art galleries, libraries, entertainment, and he never has to deal with every day worries like a job, a place to sleep, food etc. Its all provided by the TARDIS. Hell even getting old and sick, he'll just regenerate (up to a point) and he can go anywhere he wants too.

He can have lunch with Jimi Hendrix, work out with Bruce Lee in the afternoon and then have tea with Albert Einstein.

He LOVES his life, why wouldn't he? No responsibilities, no worries, he can do what he wants. That's what made him so endearing. He was quite selfish in some ways, as he didn't always want to get involved, like in The Key To Time. He'd probably rather just hang out with the Beatles, but always did the right thing anyway. It was quite unique to have an almost reluctant hero, as opposed to Batman or Spider-Man who are on a mission.

New Who however changed it so that he wants nothing more than a normal life, and he hates travelling alone, but he has to because his people are gone.

It not only destroyed a lot of what made him unique and turned him into a poor man's Angel. It also took away his status as a scientist who wanted to discover new life forms for scientific research.

See here.

Paul Cornell wrote:SARAH: Wrote his number on the back of my hand.
STUART: Never got rid of her since. My dad said.
SARAH: I don't know what this is all about, and I know we're not important.
DOCTOR: Who said you're not important? I've travelled to all sorts of places, done things you couldn't even imagine, but you two. Street corner, two in the morning, getting a taxi home. I've never had a life like that. Yes. I'll try and save you.

RTD wrote:Here you are, living a life day after day. The one adventure I can never have.

Paul Cornell or RTD who cares wrote:DOCTOR: Did you see?
JOAN: The Time Lord has such adventures, but he could never have a life like that.
DOCTOR: And yet I could.
JOAN: What are you going to do?

Compare that to the True Who Doctor.

Robert Holmes wrote: ENGIN: You know, Doctor, if you wanted to stay, I'm sure any past difficulties could be overlooked.
DOCTOR: But I like it out there, thank you very much.

Terrance Dicks wrote:TURLOUGH: You told Chancellor Flavia
DOCTOR 5: I told her she had full deputy powers until I returned.
TEGAN: You're not going back?
DOCTOR 5: You know, sometimes, Tegan, you take my breath away.
TURLOUGH: Er, won't the Time Lords be very angry?
DOCTOR 5: Furious.
TEGAN: You mean you're deliberately choosing to go on the run from your own people in a rackety old Tardis?
DOCTOR 5: Why not? After all, that's how it all started.

Kit Pedler and Gerry Davies wrote:So remember, our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing. There's nobody in the universe can do what we're doing.

You get the idea.

It’s as if the NuWho writers venerate and celebrate the average and the indistinguishable over that of the aspirational and intelligent. They seem to have a bizarre obsession with trying to make the character as extroverted and ordinary as possible (as alluded to numerous times above), thus sacrificing the original character’s uniquely agentic, idiosyncratic and individualistic self in favour of a mundane update that sacrifices the character’s core attributes in order to satisfy a certain fannish arrogance and quell any embarrassment the NuWho writers associate with TruWho.

Where the character envies getting a taxi, pines over a mundane chav caricature for no discernible reason beyond pandering to an audience uninterested in science fiction (and it must be said that working class stereotypes also appear in abundance during NuWho’s early days- so much for the “halcyon days of Rose Tyler” as a certain review recently put it), speaks in forced colloquial terms, and behaves like a twat. Bragging about having sex with Elizabeth I, concocting crap catchphrases (“Fantastic, Allon-zy, Geronimo, etc), treating Adam like shite and declaring that he “only takes the best- I’ve got Rose”, treating Martha like shite due to not being Rose (and in spite of being much more intelligent and thoughtful towards others), and the constant display of smugness that emerged from the character during the Moffat era. The character seems to childishly venerate materialism and superficial elements over that of knowledge and the wider universe in NuWho.

This is one of my biggest dislikes concerning NuWho, and one that can be traced back to its very inception. It presumes that its audience wouldn’t be able to understand or relate to the original character’s pragmatic and non-conformist persona due to underestimating their intelligence, thus making NuWho as a whole appear wholly condescending to an inquiring audience (hence why I often refer to passive spectatorship- NuWho seems to revel in it). If this mindset hadn’t been adopted by the production team, perhaps the sentiments of “All change is good” wouldn’t have been instilled and continually upheld in the first place, as it panders to an audience with little care for the art of scriptwriting or narrative consistency in general, and incidentally, one who would accept such a bastardisation of the character and programme’s ethos of intelligence, autonomy, and the celebration of the unique.

Last edited by Bernard Marx on 9th February 2020, 2:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

REDACTED

So many that have already been mentioned. But the biggest for me would be the refusal to listen to fan criticism from the beginning to now where they're keeping it up even when the shows clearly going up shit creek in the ratings.

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Bernard Marx wrote:
It’s as if the NuWho writers venerate and celebrate the average and the indistinguishable over that of the aspirational and intelligent. They seem to have a bizarre obsession with trying to make the character as extroverted and ordinary as possible

Which is why the idea of an asexual Doctor was something RTD & Moffat just couldn't cope with. The Doctor had to be written like the average 30 something man in the street. Mr average bloke that got horny, watched reality TV, and had a wife.
His companions couldn't just leave their humdrum existence behind and go into the universe and have adventures, they had to keep going home and bring all of their baggage with them. Despite the fact the TARDIS is a time machine and they could go back to the day they left at any time.

nuwho isn't Doctor Who. It's a soap opera with scifi trappings, written by a group of fanboys who are ashamed of being fanboys.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Lord Pertwee's Knob wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:
It’s as if the NuWho writers venerate and celebrate the average and the indistinguishable over that of the aspirational and intelligent. They seem to have a bizarre obsession with trying to make the character as extroverted and ordinary as possible

Which is why the idea of an asexual Doctor was something RTD & Moffat just couldn't cope with. The Doctor had to be written like the average 30 something man in the street. Mr average bloke that got horny, watched reality TV, and had a wife.
His companions couldn't just leave their humdrum existence behind and go into the universe and have adventures, they had to keep going home and bring all of their baggage with them. Despite the fact the TARDIS is a time machine and they could go back to the day they left at any time.

nuwho isn't Doctor Who. It's a soap opera with scifi trappings, written by a group of fanboys who are ashamed of being fanboys.
Absolutely, and a core reason as to why the complete re-writing of the programme’s ethos frustrates me as much as it does is that it seems to serve as a mockery of what came before, yet the media hyperbole circulates around NuWho as somehow being an improvement. The media often traduced TruWho after it concluded, and one  shouldn’t forget the hyperbole associated with RTD’s era, where RTD often throw terms of rhetoric all over the place, describing Simm’s Master as “bonkers”, and often declaring his iteration to be “fantastic” and “brilliant” (indeed, it is not difficult to find a certain IMDb review for Last of the Time Lords declaring the episode to be superior to all of TruWho due to being “inspired by HG Welles”, as if TruWho never had its abundant share of literary and scientific influences),  all whilst claiming that a key source of inspiration for his iteration of Who was that of the X-Factor.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2009/dec/23/doctor-who-russell-davies-tennant

Where TruWho was inspired by and alluded to the satirical novels of Evelyn Waugh (Revelation of the Daleks), existentialism (The Daemons), Cocteau (Warriors’ Gate), or dropped references to Plato (The Time Monster) or Nietzsche (The Curse of Fenric), RTD’s original vision had the trappings of mainstream reality TV in its mind more than anything else. Hardly something one could consider “fantastic”, surely. Yet this same rhetoric lingers even within the Whittaker era, where the otherwise talented Charlie Brooker declares Whittaker’s iteration to be “bloody brilliant”.

TruWho never relied on such vacuous terms thrown around within the media in order to be successful (as beyond the social media hype, little resides beneath the surface of NuWho), and succeeded with the public due to being a modestly produced science fiction series with successful staying power, mainly cut down in the end due to the BBC’s desperate attempts to destroy it. With NuWho, the BBC’s undying support for NuWho, and said hyperbole, is ironically the only thing truly keeping it alive, as evidenced by the plummeting ratings and audience scores.

Mott1

Mott1

I hate that the new showrunners thought plot dilemmas can just be cheated on - as long as it gets entertainment headlines and clips shared on mobile phones they don't care. RTD started it all with rubbish like the Jesus Doctor, but Moffat made it more commonplace - like the "I'm the Doctor - just accept it!" bollocks in the Capaldi Dalek two-parter. And when you see stuff like Broadchurch and Killing Eve you see how endemic it's become.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum