Tanmann
REDACTED
Rob Filth
Kaijuko
Zarius
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26What made you finally jump ship? - Page 2 Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 11th January 2020, 8:45 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Kill the Moon almost did it for me too...

If you like the 7th Doctor you'd probably like Downtime. I thought watching it sort of felt like watching a 7th doctor story with no doctor in it. It's not as good as something like Remembrance or Fenric, but it sort of had this late McCoy era vibe to it. And (unlike new who) what they did with the Great Intelligence actually makes sense.

27What made you finally jump ship? - Page 2 Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 19th January 2020, 2:09 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I reached the conclusion that Nu Who was actually making me ill.

When I used to review whole episodes on transmission my blood pressure went thru' the roof at all the shit they'd done to a show I realised I cared greatly about, and I wondered what the weird, sensitive feeling in my chest was - this was particularly bad during the latter Moffat years. I genuinely went repeatedly to the Doctors and they could find nothing wrong with me.

Now I am convinced it was the effects of Nu Who, as since going cold turkey on it this mysterious ailment has subsided greatly. Imagine if I'd realised this at the time though? The conversation at the surgery could have gone something like this : -

Doctor: Come in, sit down. Well, how have things been?

Me: Bad, Doctor, very bad. The Brigadier turned into a Cyberman and flew off into space.

Doctor (pen pausing over sick note): Another two months off work, I think...

28What made you finally jump ship? - Page 2 Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 19th January 2020, 2:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I gave up after the Punjab episode. I just saw no reason to continue watching something so banal and irritating.

29What made you finally jump ship? - Page 2 Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 19th January 2020, 2:33 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mott1 wrote:The conversation at the surgery could have gone something like this : -

Doctor: Come in, sit down. Well, how have things been?

Me: Bad, Doctor, very bad. The Brigadier turned into a Cyberman and flew off into space.

Doctor (pen pausing over sick note): Another two months off work, I think...

LOL

But actually I think that's what New Who had the effect of doing. I think RTD had the most cynical advertising mindset that dictated that anything that made a persistent impression on the audience was worth doing, even if it was something really irritating.

He also had the power and freedom to use his creative control over the series to do some obnoxious in-fiction trolling, that he knew would wind the fans up, and he quickly became like a kid with a big red button in that regard.

Moffat I think began to become just the same.

But once or twice I did find there something quite nasty and malevolent about RTD's love of being inflammatory and enraging just for the kicks.

I thought maybe anyone in charge but him would've not done that, but then Moffat started doing the same, only worse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum