Tanmann
REDACTED
Rob Filth
Kaijuko
Zarius
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What made you finally jump ship? Empty What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 10:41 pm

REDACTED

Whereabouts in NuWho's 14 year run did you finally just jump ship?

Mine was Kill The Moon.

2What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 10:51 pm

Mott1

Mott1

It happened to me twice Indrid. 1st time was Last Of The Time Lords, the 2nd was Hell Bent. I hope to God I don't get lured back for a 3rd time!

3What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 10:54 pm

iank

iank

It was twice for me too (like George's girlfriend in Seinfeld dabbling with lesbianism, "it didn't take" the first time). First time was the Missy reveal in Death in Heaven. Had pretty much hated everything since 2012 at that point and that was the moment I went "oh, fuck you" and reached for the remote. Didn't watch series 9 for 2 years until just before series 10. I allowed myself to be sucked back in, but then the Pisstaker casting coupled with the news of the revisionist history attack on the First Doctor was the very last straw. I really don't see me ever going back now. Anything short of a complete expulsion from canon of the entirety of New Who is unacceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 11:21 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

When the bloody thing crashed into the iceberg.

5What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 11:23 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:When the bloody thing crashed into the iceberg.

Were you banging Kate Winslet when it happened by any chance? Wink

6What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 8th January 2020, 11:34 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:When the bloody thing crashed into the iceberg.

Were you banging Kate Winslet when it happened by any chance? Wink

You could say that. I forcibly pushed her out the way as I was making my escape and she subsequently banged into a table. I hope she's forgiven me.

7What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 9th January 2020, 7:52 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Missy.

8What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 9th January 2020, 3:07 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Had to have been around series six, shortly after Let's Kill Hitler and we were stuck with fillers rather than flesh out any real consequences for the characters in light of what Kovarian and company had inflicted on them, then came the worst christmas special ever, and from then on it was a tough watch.

I still defended it a bit when I came over here, last bit of denial and hoping it'd get better, but I was coping with a breakdown so I wasn't at my best. The 50th specials were all good though, and Day should have wrapped Nu-Who up for at least a decade so it's batteries could be recharged.

I got back into it properly with series 9, which I still find the best since series 5, even if it had a dodgy start. I liked Clara and Missy a lot more this series, the Zygon/ISIS pastiche was solid with one of only three genuinely memorable nu who speeches. Heaven Sent's a masterpiece, and Hell Bent really isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Husbands was a weak end, but probably the best one for nu-who. Had it ended here I would defended it a lot more strongly over the years.

Series ten was rock bottom for me. Couldn't enjoy any of it, I thought it was all over the place tonally, Moffat suffered personal tragedies in the process of writing it (his mum died), which is never a good place to be in when you're writing. A rare Gatiss triumph and a solid finale saved it, but Twice Upon A Time is so bad I've had to fan-edit it TWICE.

From then on, I've watched Jodie's series mainly for a writing challenge (largely an unhealthy fixation on 'ship prompts) and not because I'm too attached. I also enjoy the company of you guys and stick with it just to have an informed opinion and because nothing else is on.

9What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 6:16 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Victory of the Daleks.  I really couldn't stand it - nor Matt Smith, Moffat or those ridiculous multi-coloured Daleks.  Something about that episode made me realize that the whole NuWho approach simply wasn't my thing.  If I'd had any real sense, I would have realized this long before Series 5.  Oh well.

10What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 7:50 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Series 1 episode 1 "Rose"

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

11What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 8:14 am

iank

iank

You lying bugger. Big Grin

12What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 10:59 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Zarius wrote:Had to have been around series six, shortly after Let's Kill Hitler and we were stuck with fillers rather than flesh out any real consequences for the characters in light of what Kovarian and company had inflicted on them, then came the worst christmas special ever, and from then on it was a tough watch.

It was more or less the same for me. I definitely struggled to care after Lets Kill Hitler for the same reasons you gave, and yet I still tried to have faith that Moffat still possessed the talent to fix the show again and put things right. I wanted to care again, and a few times in Series 7 I did.

But it was Series 8 that really shattered the looking glass for me. Where I went from an embarrassed Moffat true-believer, to honestly regretting that he was ever made showrunner.

13What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 5:30 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:It was more or less the same for me. I definitely struggled to care after Lets Kill Hitler for the same reasons you gave, and yet I still tried to have faith that Moffat still possessed the talent to fix the show again and put things right. I wanted to care again, and a few times in Series 7 I did.

But it was Series 8 that really shattered the looking glass for me. Where I went from an embarrassed Moffat true-believer, to honestly regretting that he was ever made showrunner.

Same here. I saw Series 5 as being the start of a renaissance for the show to become just as good as the original series even if it did have some of RTD's faults left over (Which I hoped would be teething problems). Series 6 just seemed to be an utter letdown with its dull, rather convoluted tone and I temporarily gave up with it. Series 7's first half was meh but I quite enjoyed the second half from The Snowmen to Name Of The Doctor at the time. The 50th saga was a mixed bag for me as I felt that it was more a NuWho 8 year anniversary than an Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebration I felt that it and Time Of The Doctor would be the last time that the issues it had since it started in 2005 would be finally dealt with and that Series 8 would see the show finally be retooled into what a modern Doctor Who should be.

I was sadly wrong.... Kill The Moon remains to me what Warriors Of The Deep is to you...

14What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 5:46 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:I was sadly wrong.... Kill The Moon remains to me what Warriors Of The Deep is to you...

Now I have to know more.....

15What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 7:12 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

I've jumped ship a few times over the years. The first time was halfway through Series 7, which aside from being generally uninspired with no standout episodes, felt like a desperate attempt at pandering to the RTD fans with contrived melodrama and domesticity after the backlash against Series 6.

Two years later, Capaldi's excellent performance and darker characterisation drew me back in and managed to sustain my interest throughout Series 8 in spite of the mostly lacklustre stories. Then came Series 9. Moffat completely rewrote the 12th Doctor's character in a manner horribly unsuited to Capaldi's strengths (again pandering to RTD fans), his narcissistic need to desecrate iconic characters went into overdrive, and explicit anti-male propaganda was introduced for the first time. I can't remember exactly when I gave up, but The Magician's Apprentice killed my enthusiasm on day one. In the space of one episode, Moff managed to completely ruin the Daleks, Davros, the 12th Doctor, and make Missy even worse than she was in Death in Heaven.

I watched Series 10 in 2018 without even bothering to finish Series 9, and found it to be a significant improvement. Capaldi was finally being written as he always should have been, the companions were actually likeable for the first time since the Ponds, and it had its share of respectable sci-fi concepts. There was still too much irritatingly right-on dialogue, but little that felt truly hateful.

I went back and finished Series 9 but - with the exception of the Whithouse two-parter and Heaven Sent - ended up regretting it. Hell Bent was a fucking disgrace, and I couldn't even bring myself to watch Doctor Mysterio. By this point, I was just glad to see the back of Moffat and naively hoped the show would get better without him. Then came the Whittaker announcement and Twice Upon a Time, which destroyed whatever minute scintilla of goodwill I had left for this shitshow, though I still gave the first few episodes of Series 11 a chance out of morbid curiosity. All of Jodie's episodes are unwatchable, but it was the utterly horrific Arachnids in the UK that finally turned me into a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth hater clamouring for its cancellation.

I'm well and truly done with NuWho at this point. Hinchcliffe and Baker could come back for Series 13, and I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I just want it wiped from canon and consigned to the dustbin of history.

16What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 8:04 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

I thought I quit watching the first time after The Long Game, but now that I think hard about it was after Bad Wolf. Those two episodes both bothered me because in each the doctor just came off as a total cunt. In The Long Game he basically tells Adam to fuck off when he asks him to fix that brain-download thing at the end. And in Bad Wolf he seems to not give a fuck after Lynda dies (who I thought would have been such a better companion than Rose). This is why of the 8 seasons of the show I watched, I will always consider 1 to be the worst - I realize that opinion would probably change if I watched 11 or 12, but I'm not going to.

I didn't start watching again until series 5, which I thought (for a while) was almost - but not quite - as good as the worst of real Dr. Who. But then towards the end of the season it turned to shit again: The Lodger just plain sucked, and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang was full of the same sort of over-the-top not even remotely scientific crap that plagued the Tennant era. And Smith's doctor, who had been way more doctor-ish for a while, seemed to be getting more like Tennant's doctor in those stories.

I decided to catch up and watch the Tennant era during season 5, but I only watched them once and tended to put them on in the background while I did other stuff - so it didn't make much of an impression on me, other than to think it generally sucked.

I didn't watch again until series 8, and did the same thing with series 6 and 7 (watching them that same year 8 was going). I thought 6 and 7, while better than 1-4, were not as good as 5.

Finally, I started again with series 8. I had seen pictures of Capaldi as the Doctor and thought, at least he looks like the Doctor - maybe they'll finally get it right this time. I almost quit several times: Listen (started out good like they were going to introduce an interesting new enemy - but then the ending was such total shite), then there was crap like Kill the Moon... But there were also a few promising episodes like Mummy and Flatline, so I stuck with it.

But Death in Heaven was the end for me. With Missy and Cyberbrig, I decided Nupoo could just fuck right off. Cyberbrig bothered me more than Missy, because they had already fucked up the Master with Simm's version - which I actually think was worse. I never understood how people could like Simm's version of the character and then complain about Ainley's. Simm's Master makes even Robert's Master look like fucking Delgado's in comparison.

In the end, I've just decided the new series is NOT Dr. Who. Even some of the stories I like in series 5, they might be ok in and of themselves, but they are NOT Dr. Who. So stuff like: Eleventh Hour, Time of the Angels, Amy's Choice = good (or at least ok) NOT Dr. Who. Stuff like: Mindwarp, Paradise Towers, Happiness Patrol = bad Dr. Who. This would explain why I've seen Happiness Patrol over 20 times even though I think it sucks, and I've only watched Time of the Angels twice even though I thought it was good. Bad Dr. Who > Good NOT Dr. Who

17What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 9:11 pm

iank

iank

Someone on YouTube made the comment that "New Who" sounds like a dreadful product replacement like "New Coke' or something, that barely resembles the original.
An apt comparison, I thought.

18What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 9:38 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I was thinking about this the other day. It wouldn't have worried me if the old style of Who had been left behind if the experimental, less dumbed-down and not-silly version of the show had dominated instead of being the exception.

Stuff like Sleep No More genuinely felt new, in a way that Warriors Gate and Ghost Light once did. How can Nu Who still occasionally do this whilst churning out season after season of near-total garbage?

19What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:01 pm

The First Doctor

The First Doctor

The series was on thin ice with me after it's portrayal of the Great Intelligence. After Smith's run was over, and partly due to how it ended, I watched NuWho less and less to the point there are some Capaldi episodes I've never seen.

The crowning turd that blocked the water pipe was the thing I though might get me re-interested.

Twice Upon A Time

After that I was done. I was now one step beyond pissed off, I didn't care anymore. My eye's were fully opened to not just what the show had become, but just how utterly bad all of NuPoo had actually been. I've not watched a single episode since and, barring a miracle, I will not watch another. This has even gone into resent dive into the Big Finish Seventh Doctor audios as I skipped an entire collection because it included Riversong.

20What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:04 pm

Doctor7

The great intelligence is much more effective in classic true who nu who handled them badly the silurians as well twice upon a time was a true dud a big shit on the legacy of William hartnell

21What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:11 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

I recently picked up a VHS copy of Downtime, and even that was significantly better than anything New Who ever did with the Great Intelligence.

22What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:23 pm

Doctor7

I heard that was good I want to see that at some point

23What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:41 pm

iank

iank

I think you'd like it. It's a bit on the cheap side but, yeah, it's a way better portrayal of the Great Intelligence (and Sarah, actually...)

24What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:42 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

When the bloody thing crashed into the- oh, I've done that one already.

25What made you finally jump ship? Empty Re: What made you finally jump ship? 10th January 2020, 11:43 pm

Bill

“Anti plastic” was a worrying beginning! The soap elements were always annoying - far too many characters “had a mum”. And don’t forget how thin all the episodes felt at the beginning - like filler. And The Doctor was stuck on or near Earth all the time - and never really saved the day. So it was worrying from the start. “Timey wimey” - awful.
I thought the show disappeared up its own arse in series 6. A Good Man Goes To War was so pretentious and contrived.
Kill The Moon was a massive turning point for me - the moon as an egg???
Series 7 felt tired, 9 a cop out, and 10 a bit meh (I couldn’t stand all those irritating characters coming back at the end of Knock Knock).
Very very hard to like much of New Who. I like The Girl Who Waited. Maybe they should have an episode about us - The True Fans Who Waited. Full of skeletons in chairs in front of the TV, with a sign saying “I miss the 20th century” round our necks...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum