You are not connected. Please login or register

Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 2nd January 2020, 11:47 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

This thread will probably interest me more than anyone here, but who do you prefer out of the two most iconic and eccentric female singers of the 21st century.

I'm going to say to the surprise of nobody, Amy Winehouse.

Lady Gaga is the superior artist in some ways I'll admit. Gaga is a much better musician than Amy. Amy could play some guitar, but Gaga is a very talented piano player.

Gaga also is a better live performer than Amy too. Her Oscars performance is one of the best I've ever seen.

Still Amy overall is better for the following reasons.

Amy I think had more of a natural gravitas in her voice and performance than Gaga. Listen to say Love is a Losing Game. Its a very emotional song, but its not overblown. There's no screeching, wailing. Its very understated, but powerful and gritty.

Gaga meanwhile tends to overdo the more serious songs, like say Speechless. She really tries to belt it out and she ends up warbling too much.

See for yourself.

That's not to say that Gaga can't do emotional songs well like I'll Never Love Again, but overall I think Amy just has more power.

Amy was also a much better song writer. Gaga isn't a bad songwriter, but I think Amy's lyrics tend to stand out more. Even just the song titles like Tears Dry On Their Own, Love is A Losing Game, You Know I'm No Good, are more memorable than any of Gaga's lyrics and have become famous quotes in their own right. Born This Way is a famous quote from Gaga, but that's it.

Amy's lyrics are also a bit grittier and edgier, whether they're serious or funny like Fuck Me Pumps. In spite of all the meat dresses and oversexualised content, Gaga's music is definitely a lot safer than Amy's. Its just the usual sexy pop songs, where as You Know I'm No Good, Stronger Than Me or even I Heard Love is Blind are quite unlike anything else in terms of content.

I also love how poetical a lot of Amy's lyrics could be too. On the one hand they can be very romantic and mature, on the other they can be vindictive unashamedly petty, sometimes in the same song! Love is a Losing Game was actually analysed by students in an exam at Cambridge back in 2008!

I also think Amy had a better look than Gaga. Whilst Gaga has a lot of creativity in all of her different costumes, none of them have ever really caught on. You wouldn't say there is a definitive Gaga look that everyone would recognise. With Amy however everyone would recognise her beehive and eyeliner. Its as iconic as Elvis, or the Beatles or Freddie Mercury's looks.

Of course Amy did take it from the Ronnettes, but she added her own grittier element too it with the tatoos, severe make up, and leather coat.

Finally I think Amy is more important too. Amy helped make British music popular again abroad and paved the way for Paloma Faith, Duffy, Adele, Florence and the Machine, Caro Emerald, Lana Del Rey and even Gaga herself.

Whilst I do love Gaga, I think Amy is a once in a lifetime talent.

2Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 2nd January 2020, 11:52 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Gaga. The Fame is an absolutely remarkable album with many pop hits that will probably be considered classics of their genre in years to come.

Winehouse was a good singer.. I've never actually listened to a full album and only know the popular songs, though.

3Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 12:15 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Winehouse was a good singer.. I've never actually listened to a full album and only know the popular songs, though.

You need to rectify that right away.

Back to Black is the greatest album since the 1970s. I'd also recommend watching the Amy documentary. Its not just an interesting story, but I feel important in terms of understanding just how bad the stigma against mental health was in the 00s.

The way the media and the smug cunt comedians treated Amy was shameful. She suffered from anorexia, bullimia, depression and she cut herself and so what did they do? Ridicule her specifically for her looks. I've always despised panel shows though I must admit.

Their treatment of not just Amy but Doctor Who in the 90s and 00s shows them up to be the nasty bullies and sheep they are. In both cases they didn't just make fun of them, but really kicked them in the teeth when they were down, only to be total sycophants with both later when it became trendy to like Amy and DW again.

Only good thing is all of these tosser comedians are forgotten about, whilst Classic Who outsells New Who 30 years on, and Amy Winehouse was the best selling female artist on Vinyl of the 2010s. Vinyl made a huge comeback in the 10s, despite being expensive, showing you that more people were willing to fork out money and wanted to own Amy's music than that of any other 21st century artist.

See here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiMmZ_PkebmAhUwXRUIHZ1lD58QqQIILigAMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.officialcharts.com%2Fchart-news%2Fofficial-top-100-biggest-selling-vinyl-albums-of-the-decade__27798%2F&usg=AOvVaw2dm6Bg36qBns2nlB4aWDG4

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Gaga. The Fame is an absolutely remarkable album with many pop hits that will probably be considered classics of their genre in years to come.

The Fame is an excellent album. I played the shit out of it back in 2009 and it still holds up today.

However I'd say Gaga's finest hours are the Jazz songs she did with Tony Bennet and I'll Never Love Again.

This is such a beautiful song. Reading the comments section for this video is pretty hard though I warn you, but it shows you how well it resonates with people.

The great thing about Gaga and Amy is that they can create their own songs, but also take other peoples and make them their own, or at least do them justice.

This cover of La Vien Rose Gaga did with Tony Bennent is one of my favourites.

Also how amazing does she look there? Who the hell ever called her ugly?

4Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 12:23 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I remember Greg James of Radio 1 ripping the piss out of one of her live performances which was unpleasant to say the least. I believe that was a few months or so before she died but I can't be certain.

Lady Gaga is very unique looking. Anyone that looks "different" is automatically considered ugly by tasteless pricks. I went to school with many undesirable boy who were very quick to label girls as ugly when they differentiated from what was considered hot to them i.e. the shallow girls who had literally everything but a personality. They had no sense of what real beauty was.

5Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 12:44 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I remember Greg James of Radio 1 ripping the piss out of one of her live performances which was unpleasant to say the least. I believe that was a few months or so before she died but I can't be certain.

Lady Gaga is very unique looking. Anyone that looks "different" is automatically considered ugly by tasteless pricks.

Exactly. Lady Gaga is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. You only have to watch A Star Is Born to see how gorgeous her natural look is. Have you seen that film BTW? If not add it to your list alongside Amy, its great. Not surprised she won an Oscar for it. That's Amy, Adele and Gaga all have Oscars now, Amy for Amy, Gaga for A Star is Born and Adele for Skyfall.

Adele is great too, but she was definitely overhyped. Also I got really bitter the way a lot of the cunts who were vicious to Amy about her looks later virtue signalled about how great they were because they didn't care about Adele's looks when listening to her music.

Case in point look at these shameless hypocrites.

They rip into Amy for having alopecia and looking a mess when she is anorexic, bullimic and cutting herself, but then they do a video about how awful it is to judge someone for their looks? Fuck the pair of them.

All of this made me bitter about Adele at first I admit, but its been ten years and I'm over it now. Also it was stupid as Adele was always very nice to Amy too. Gaga as well. They both stood up for her in 2009 when shallow cunts like that absolute fuckwit Eminem where kicking her in the teeth. God do I hate Eminem so very much.

6Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 4:33 pm

REDACTED

Winehouse.

Lady Gaga's talented but I could never really get into her music TBH. And her appearance on The Simpsons is better not to be talked about.... Shudder

7Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 4:43 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Neither. There are at least a 1000 black, female session singers who are better than them.

8Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 3rd January 2020, 5:12 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:I remember Greg James of Radio 1 ripping the piss out of one of her live performances which was unpleasant to say the least. I believe that was a few months or so before she died but I can't be certain.

Lady Gaga is very unique looking. Anyone that looks "different" is automatically considered ugly by tasteless pricks.

Exactly. Lady Gaga is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. You only have to watch A Star Is Born to see how gorgeous her natural look is. Have you seen that film BTW? If not add it to your list alongside Amy, its great. Not surprised she won an Oscar for it. That's Amy, Adele and Gaga all have Oscars now, Amy for Amy, Gaga for A Star is Born and Adele for Skyfall.

Adele is great too, but she was definitely overhyped. Also I got really bitter the way a lot of the cunts who were vicious to Amy about her looks later virtue signalled about how great they were because they didn't care about Adele's looks when listening to her music.

Case in point look at these shameless hypocrites.

They rip into Amy for having alopecia and looking a mess when she is anorexic, bullimic and cutting herself, but then they do a video about how awful it is to judge someone for their looks? Fuck the pair of them.

All of this made me bitter about Adele at first I admit, but its been ten years and I'm over it now. Also it was stupid as Adele was always very nice to Amy too. Gaga as well. They both stood up for her in 2009 when shallow cunts like that absolute fuckwit Eminem where kicking her in the teeth. God do I hate Eminem so very much.

I haven't seen it. I'm tempted because she looks like a competent actress and also because I enjoy films about singers and music in general. Yes, people are hypocrites. I bet they all pretended to be fans of Amy when she passed away, the two-faced scumbags.

I'm afraid I don't like Adele. I find her too loud and I don't consider her Bond song to be very good at all. It isn't even in the same as league as A View to a Kill or Nobody Does It Better. I've never understood the hype surrounding Eminem either. There are way better rappers from back in the day.

9Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 4th January 2020, 12:11 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Boofer wrote:Neither. There are at least a 1000 black, female session singers who are better than them.

I'm surprised to see you say that? I remember you saying that Amy was talented and that's why people got mad with her because she wasted it?

I agree to some extent that that is why there was a backlash, except that it wasn't as simple as her wasting it. She had serious mental health problems and was thrust into the spotlight, and attacked in the ways that upset her the most. Like I said before the vile treatment she got is one of the best examples of stigma against mental illness.

(Case in point that vile bitch Zoe Lyons made a joke about Amy cutting herself when she was alive that won her an award from the similarly now woke Edinburgh fringe, yet recently I heard her on a podcast about mental health awareness talking about combating the stigma against depression. Hypocritical bitch.)

Also didn't you say Paloma Faith was rubbish because she was a third rate Amy Winehouse? (Though granted that doesn't mean you necessarily think the original has to be great, but its a bit of an odd thing to say about someone you think is a session musician?)

10Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 4th January 2020, 12:23 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I haven't seen it. I'm tempted because she looks like a competent actress and also because I enjoy films about singers and music in general. Yes, people are hypocrites. I bet they all pretended to be fans of Amy when she passed away, the two-faced scumbags.

I'm afraid I don't like Adele. I find her too loud and I don't consider her Bond song to be very good at all. It isn't even in the same as league as A View to a Kill or Nobody Does It Better. I've never understood the hype surrounding Eminem either. There are way better rappers from back in the day.

A Star Is Born is excellent. I haven't seent the other versions so I can't compare, but Gaga is very good in it. She's come a long way as an actress. Indrid Mercury is right that her Simpsons episode is awful, and a large part of what made it awful I hate to say was her performance. Very stiff and awkward. She's definitely come on in leaps and bounds since then. She was also really good in American Horror Story.

Adele is the most overrated artist of the past 30 years. No question. The hype about her was insane. It put me off of her for years, but she does have a good voice. She's more of a torch singer than Amy or Gaga, who both definitely have a much larger range, but still she's very good.

Eminem meanwhile is a total cunt. Not only is he talentless, but he is a total fucking hypocritical cunt too. This is a man who trashed Amy and Michael Jackson when they were alive in really nasty ways, yet praised them both as misunderstood artists after death.

Then there are his notoriously homophobic lyrics about hating fags, lesa's and transapants when that was trendy, and his recent virtue signalling about hating Trump for being homophobic.

On top of that he also regularly makes vicious remarks about people's looks and sexualities, yet refused to let Weird Al do a parody of him on the grounds that he had a reputation to maintain.

Eminem is the definition of that old Groucho Marx joke, "These are my principles you don't like them I have others."

Every time a celebrity dies I get a little bit sad that its not Eminem.

11Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 4th January 2020, 12:49 pm

Boofer

Boofer

burrunjor wrote:
Boofer wrote:Neither. There are at least a 1000 black, female session singers who are better than them.

I'm surprised to see you say that? I remember you saying that Amy was talented and that's why people got mad with her because she wasted it?

Oh, she was definitely talented. She had the whole package in terms of a great look, great production and - in pop terms - a voice that was vastly superior to everyone around her.

I suppose I shouldn't have specified any particular race in my reply, but I've seen so many great black singers struggling for pennies who could absolutely destroy anyone 'popular'. Even the much lauded Beyonce isn't that good, nor are any of the other melisma machines who are presented to the world as pinnacles of vocal talent.

It's pretty clear to me that the 'great' singers are those who come from a group who are the most marketable in terms of how they look and how 'on trend' their music is. This takes precedence over the actual talent of the vocalist in most instances.

12Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga Empty Re: Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga 5th January 2020, 9:26 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Boofer wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

Oh, she was definitely talented. She had the whole package in terms of a great look, great production and - in pop terms - a voice that was vastly superior to everyone around her.

I suppose I shouldn't have specified any particular race in my reply, but I've seen so many great black singers struggling for pennies who could absolutely destroy anyone 'popular'. Even the much lauded Beyonce isn't that good, nor are any of the other melisma machines who are presented to the world as pinnacles of vocal talent.

It's pretty clear to me that the 'great' singers are those who come from a group who are the most marketable in terms of how they look and how 'on trend' their music is. This takes precedence over the actual talent of the vocalist in most instances.

Ah okay got you, but Amy definitely was not what you would call a conventional pop star in any way. At the end of the day this is all subjective, but her voice certainly wasn't autotuned and she had a wide range.

She could cope with so many different genres from jazz, to soul, to RnB, to Reggae, and in terms of emotional content she could sing songs that were funny, scathing, light hearted and obviously songs that were a lot darker too.

Compare Love is a Losing Game to say Valerie to see what a wide range she had emotionally. Also not many people can perform duets with The Rolling Stones, Tony Bennett and Paul Weller.

Finally Amy's talent was not just in her voice. She was a song writer too remember, and an exceptional one. Amy's songs have been covered by a wide range of artists from different decades and backgrounds like George Michael, Prince, Bryan Ferry and Ronnie Spektor.

For fun and to further humiliate the nasty little cunt lets compare Amy's lyrics to those of that scrotum Eminem.

Amy's lyrics

Love is a Losing Game Lyrics (1 writer) wrote:

For you I was the flame
Love is a losing game
Five story fire as you came
Love is losing game
One I wished, I never played
Oh, what a mess we made
And now the final frame
Love is a losing game
Played out by the band
Love is a losing hand
More than I could stand
Love is a losing hand
Self-professed profound
Till the chips were down
Know you're a gambling man
Love is a losing hand
Though I battled blind
Love is a fate resigned
Memories mar my mind
Love is a fate resigned
Over futile odds
And laughed at by the gods
And now the final frame
Love is a losing game

Eminem's lyrics

Say Goodbye To Hollywood (3 writers) wrote:

Say goodbye, say goodbye to Hollywood

Goodbye
Goodbye Hollywood
Please don't cry for me
When I'm gone for good
So, goodbye
Goodbye Hollywood
Please don't cry for me
When I'm gone for good

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I agree about Beyonce being overrated. I can't stand her music personally.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum