You are not connected. Please login or register

What does New Who generally lack when compared to Classic?

+11
iank
Bill
Kaijuko
Ludders
ClockworkOcean
burrunjor
Boofer
REDACTED
Doctor7
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
#BeKind
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Kaijuko wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:
Kaijuko wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:
burrunjor wrote:All good points raised here, but I think the biggest reason New Who failed in its own right, and not just in comparison to the original is the mantra "DOCTOR WHO IS ALL ABOUT CHANGE."

Speaking as a 90s fan who came to the show through random video releases, I was able to get into the show as a whole because it always felt like the same programe. I could believe that Tom Baker was William Hartnell, that Jon Pertwee and Slyvester McCoy were the same guy. I was interested in seeing how Jon Pertwee ended up exiled, how McCoy's adventures began as Hartnell etc.

The makers of Classic Who may have made the odd mistake in terms of continuity, but they always stuck to the template of the character of the Doctor, and tried to do something new within that.

New Who however hasn't bothered to maintain any kind of template, because ALL CHANGE IS GOOD, and as a result it feels disjointed.

Tennant fans aren't going to want to watch Smith. Smith is a totally different character. He has a totally different moral code. (Tennant refused to let guns be used, even if he and his friends were going to be eaten alive by monsters, whilst Matt Smith got sexually aroused at River using guns to mow down hundreds of bad guys!)

There are also very few connections between Matt and David's eras in terms of story. The earth invasions are quietly erased, no Davies era supporting characters appear, all of his story arcs are dropped etc. The changeover from producers is literally like a different show. (A lot of RTD era fans HATED Matt's time as a result.)

This never happened in Old Who. The eras all flowed into one another, because the writers and producers all saw it as being the one show. Look at Pertwee to Baker in comparison. Sarah is there for a year with Pertwee to ease the transition, UNIT the staple of Pertwee show up in 5 Baker stories, the Brig's in two, Benton's in three, even Bessie shows up in a few of Tom's early adventures etc.

Its not until Tom's third year when Sarah leaves that it cuts ties with Pertwee, but by then Tom is well established. Troughton to Pertwee meanwhile, not only where UNIT with Troughton, but Pertwee's era follows on from Troughton's last story.

Tennant to Smith however have no ties with each other really, which is why I suspect it shed millions. Imagine if Tom's era had dumped the Brig and UNIT right away, and Sarah wasn't there to ease the transition. Its viewers would have tanked too as it would have been too big a change for the Pertwee fans.

Worse still in the long term people arent going to be as interested either. Do you think if a young boy or girl watches Pisstaker they are going to equate her as being the same character as Matt or David, like I did with Hartnell and McCoy?

Similarly even Matt, slapping Clara on the bum, and going on about how horny he is when looking at guns is not going to register as the same character as Tennant.

Old Who is something that people want to see all of, because it feels like one character's adventures, New Who feels like 3 different series, vaguely linked where nothing matters.

One writer can spend years building up that the 21st century is where everything changes, only for it not mean a thing in a years time. Again in Classic Who, the odd blip aside there was nothing like that. UNIT weren't erased from existence for instance in Tom's first year.

You can't run a show by the all change is good mantra. Sooner or later you'll drive away your own fans if there is nothing concrete for them to latch onto, which New Who ultimately did even before the sex change.

I agree when all points raised here, and think it brilliantly encapsulates why New Who will not translate well to future generations. Its lack of consistency in its world building and characterisation is a fundamental flaw and ensures that long-term interest will not be sustained. Although I still think that its immediate flaw was RTD commissioning it as a series which celebrates mediocrity and vacuity in pop culture, as opposed to celebrating intelligence and imagination, as I outlined in my first post. This is why I become disappointed when one declares New Who to be superior due to featuring more ‘sophisticated’ effects (as Eccleston put it in that moronic BBC Breakfast interview from 2005), even though New Who is so fundamentally ordinary and unchallenging at its core. The original programme would not only embrace the counter culture of its time period as I discuss in my first post, but also frequently include allusions to challenging philosophical and scientific concepts through genuinely sophisticated dialogue.

See the Master’s rumination on existentialism in ‘The Daemons’, or the allusions to Carl Jung in ‘Warriors’ Gate’, or the ponderances on the nature of death in ‘Revelation Of the Daleks’ (which was itself based on ‘The Loved One’, a satirical novel acclaimed within its era of literature). To introduce kids to such ideas, whether it be implicit or not, is indicate of an intelligent and respectable programme at its core. I can’t think of an instance where New Who will ever inspire its audience to read up on philosophy or literature, as it has no such value to speak of at all. The ‘All change is good’ mantra derives from such an anti-intellectual stance derived from a postmodernist way of thinking- if New Who had set itself apart from such a moronic corner of modern culture, and had instead challenged and broadened the minds of those watching, perhaps such an awful mantra wouldn’t have become instilled into the programme in the first place.

Excellent post that I wholeheartedly agree with but in fairness, both Professor Lazarus and the Doctor quote from TS Eliot's 'The Hollow Men' in (the otherwise execrable) 'The Lazarus Experiment' (2007):

Lazarus: I find that nothing's ever exactly like you expect. There's always something to surprise you. Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act
Doctor: Falls the Shadow.
Lazarus: So the mysterious Doctor knows his Eliot. I'm impressed.

That’s very true actually. I guess I didn’t give New Who as much credit as I should- although having watched Apocalypse Now last night and seeing Eliot’s ‘Ths Hollow Men’ being implemented in an intelligent and Jungian manner (via the layering of the ‘shadow’ via Kurtz’z half lit face and hindered posture amidst his reading of the text) as opposed to via a throaway line, it does seem a bit half arsed. Although I’m curious as to what The Lazarus Experiment would have been like if done in the original series, especially given the borderline allegorical way in which Warriors’ Gate alludes to the suppression of imagination whilst also evoking Jean Cocteau’s inherently philosophical filmography (see ‘The Orphic Trilogy’) in its direction and script.

Yes, all true and please don't think I'm attempting to defend NuWho - the Eliot quote is just one gem in the usual deluge of disposable pop culture references.  In general, TLE is very poor indeed, even by NuWho's low standards (as is usually the case when Gatiss' name is attached to an episode) and probably owes more to a Quatermass fixation than anything else (though a very dumbed-down, superficial understanding of Nigel Kneale's iconic stories). Oh, and RTD's insistence that the episode should resemble a typical Marvel Comics plotline '"a good old mad scientist, with an experiment gone wrong, and an outrageous supervillain on the loose."
Now, using Quatermass and old Marvel Comics as inspiration (not to mention Eliot: "I am, Lazarus, come from the dead.." - 'The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock') should have produced a great (or at least memorable) episode - yet 'The Lazarus Experiment' is shallow and silly and utterly unconvincing - a pointless runaround with simply awful special effects.

It’s hilarious that RTD insisted that, given that Barry Letts and Terrence Dicks were desperately trying to ensure that their season 7 stories (post Spearhead) didn’t fall under the cliché of ‘Alien Invasion’ or ‘Mad Scientist’. I guess TLE could make for a case study on how New Who fails on a literary level, as it has all the components to work as such a story, yet as you say, fails in every conceivable way.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

It lacks a companion with a gigantic pair of tits that you just want to shove your face between.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Commander Maxil wrote:It lacks a companion with a gigantic pair of tits that you just want to shove your face between.

Exsqueeze me?

What does New Who generally lack when compared to Classic? - Page 2 Catherine%2BTate

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:It lacks a companion with a gigantic pair of tits that you just want to shove your face between.

Exsqueeze me?

What does New Who generally lack when compared to Classic? - Page 2 Catherine%2BTate

Yeah, but they weren't really on display in Series 4 like Peri's were in her stories.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Something else just occurred to me.

One thing about Classic Who was that it did big ambitious writing projects that felt *historic*. It gave us a future Earth under Dalek occupation. It gave us the awakening of the Silurians. It gave us the beginnings of the Daleks. These were big deals and showed a lot of writing confidence (and it might be this is what fans felt was lost when Mary Whitehouse got her way in the late 1970's, and the show became about what would keep it on safe ground instead).

And notably it seemed to understand that sometimes big storytelling is about horror and pain.

New Who seems to have the resources to do that kind of operatic storytelling, but it always seems to play safe or cop-out. It's idea of historic moments seems to be bringing Rose back or having the Tardis in human form, or Moffat going back on Davros' childhood for an "it's okay to be scared" message for the kiddies.

Maybe in some ways "we're doing the story of Rosa Parks in the show" is to the new SJW fans what "we're doing the story of the Genesis of the Daleks" was to us. But even then it felt like because of the 45 minute format, we were only getting half a picture and a lot of contrivances.

Bill

Intelligence, integrity, confidence and taste.

And good plots. New Who always prioritises sentimental emotions over solid, good storytelling.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:Something else just occurred to me.

One thing about Classic Who was that it did big ambitious writing projects that felt *historic*. It gave us a future Earth under Dalek occupation. It gave us the awakening of the Silurians. It gave us the beginnings of the Daleks. These were big deals and showed a lot of writing confidence (and it might be this is what fans felt was lost when Mary Whitehouse got her way in the late 1970's, and the show became about what would keep it on safe ground instead).

And notably it seemed to understand that sometimes big storytelling is about horror and pain.

New Who seems to have the resources to do that kind of operatic storytelling, but it always seems to play safe or cop-out. It's idea of historic moments seems to be bringing Rose back or having the Tardis in human form, or Moffat going back on Davros' childhood for an "it's okay to be scared" message for the kiddies.

Maybe in some ways "we're doing the story of Rosa Parks in the show" is to the new SJW fans what "we're doing the story of the Genesis of the Daleks" was to us. But even then it felt like because of the 45 minute format, we were only getting half a picture and a lot of contrivances.
An excellent point. New Who has always been inherently sanitised to the core, and always relies on archetypal cop outs in both story concepts (as you refer to) and narrative resolution in a twee attempt to appear more wholesome to a family audience. The sheer irony of such a sanitisation is that it also makes the series appear far more cynical and artificial in its construction and narrative aspirations, ensuring that New Who will date horrendously due to its often hollow and unchallenging method of storytelling.

The Classic series had strong artistic aspirations and therefore often succeeded in enticing its younger inquiring audiences, and in my case, it certainly succeeded. As New Who’s aspirations are inherently bound by its own reluctance to branch out and evoke genuine discussion amongst its audience, it instead relies primarily on spectacle and noise (hence why there’s nary a scene to be found in New Who without Gold’s music playing, with the odd exception, and why the editing is often so frantic), which can briefly involve an audience on a superficial level. Although to an inquiring audience, this effect very quickly wears off- an effect the Classic Series did not require in order to obtain and retain its longevity.

stengos

stengos

[quote="Tanmann"]
burrunjor wrote:Then when I think Moffat realized the new fans were alienated by that, he decided to go some distance to over-correct with this stupid idea that only the War Doctor could've fought in the war, and the agonizing self-doubt ("am I a good man") going on with Capaldi throughout his first season, even *after* the events of Day of the Doctor should've surely, finally put that tiresome question to bed.

I never understood what all that "am i a good man?" was about - why the Doctor was suddenly questioning himself like that after several hundred years of travelling round the universe intervening in the affairs of countless planets. It just struck me as a rather self indulgent, pointless, fake moral dilemma used to fill in the voids left in his scripts when Moffat was unable to develop his stories to the required 42 / 59 minute length. Moff seemed to think he was writing great moral and ethical philosophy to rival Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill or Immanuel Kant, educating and entertaining the public at one and the same time. Unfortunately that didn't quite work because the viewers, in turn, decided to switch off in their droves. For me that was a rather satisfying verdict on the later Moffat's show running skills.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Do you think a pear would fit through my hole if I really tried?

stengos

stengos

Pepsi Maxil wrote:Do you think a pear would fit through my hole if I really tried?

Yes.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

stengos wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Do you think a pear would fit through my hole if I really tried?

Yes.

Thanks, bro. Here goes nothing...

iank

iank

stengos wrote:
Tanmann wrote:
burrunjor wrote:Then when I think Moffat realized the new fans were alienated by that, he decided to go some distance to over-correct with this stupid idea that only the War Doctor could've fought in the war, and the agonizing self-doubt ("am I a good man") going on with Capaldi throughout his first season, even *after* the events of Day of the Doctor should've surely, finally put that tiresome question to bed.

I never understood what all that "am i a good man?" was about - why the Doctor was suddenly questioning himself like that after several hundred years of travelling round the universe intervening in the affairs of countless planets. It just struck me as a rather self indulgent, pointless, fake moral dilemma used to fill in the voids left in his scripts when Moffat was unable to  develop his stories to the required 42 / 59 minute length. Moff seemed to think he was writing great moral and ethical philosophy to rival Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill or Immanuel Kant, educating and entertaining the public at one and the same time. Unfortunately that didn't quite work because the viewers, in turn, decided to switch off in their droves. For me that was a rather satisfying verdict on the later Moffat's show running skills.

It was particularly bizarre given that just two stories earlier the Doctor had learned he'd saved Gallifrey after all. All that guilt should finally have been removed from his shoulders... instead he's suddenly questioning himself for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:
stengos wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

I never understood what all that "am i a good man?" was about - why the Doctor was suddenly questioning himself like that after several hundred years of travelling round the universe intervening in the affairs of countless planets. It just struck me as a rather self indulgent, pointless, fake moral dilemma used to fill in the voids left in his scripts when Moffat was unable to  develop his stories to the required 42 / 59 minute length. Moff seemed to think he was writing great moral and ethical philosophy to rival Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill or Immanuel Kant, educating and entertaining the public at one and the same time. Unfortunately that didn't quite work because the viewers, in turn, decided to switch off in their droves. For me that was a rather satisfying verdict on the later Moffat's show running skills.

It was particularly bizarre given that just two stories earlier the Doctor had learned he'd saved Gallifrey after all. All that guilt should finally have been removed from his shoulders... instead he's suddenly questioning himself for absolutely no reason whatsoever...
I always found that particularly strange too. There was no rationale behind it whatsoever during those respective scenes and was just contrived into the scripts with no finesse on Moffat’s part. In response to Stengos, the idea of Moffat emulating Kant is amusingly ironic- Immanuel Kant’s texts addressed the notion of objectivity and critique and why such concepts are fundamental to the human experience- both concepts have been overtly mocked by New Who’s quality of scriptwriting.

And it was only inserted in order to be paid off in Death In Heaven with Capaldi’s Doctor shouting “I am not a good man- I am an idiot!”. What fucking shite.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

While I was trying to insert the pear into my bumhole I discovered something up there that I hadn't noticed before. You won't believe it, but a tape of Evil of the Daleks Episode 6 was stuck up there all this time! I know they say missing episodes can turn up anywhere but this is ridiculous!Should I clean it before I give it to Sir Ian Levine?

stengos

stengos

Pepsi Maxil wrote:While I was trying to insert the pear into my bumhole I discovered something up there that I hadn't noticed before. You won't believe it, but a tape of Evil of the Daleks Episode 6 was stuck up there all this time! I know they say missing episodes can turn up anywhere but this is ridiculous!Should I clean it before I give it to Sir Ian Levine?

No. The Restoration Team will clean it up when Ian passes it onto them - like when they cleaned up "Web of Fear" and "Enemy of the World" prior to their release on DVD. Although p'r'haps remove any sweetcorn as that could clog up their digital remastering machiney-thingys.

stengos

stengos

Bernard Marx wrote:In response to Stengos, the idea of Moffat emulating Kant is amusingly ironic- Immanuel Kant’s texts addressed the notion of objectivity and critique and why such concepts are fundamental to the human experience- both concepts have been overtly mocked by New Who’s quality of scriptwriting.

And it was only inserted in order to be paid off in Death In Heaven with Capaldi’s Doctor shouting “I am not a good man- I am an idiot!”. What fucking shite.

I may be misunderstanding re subjectivity / objectivity but i have always disliked the use of moral relativism to equate what the doctor does with what his alien opponents do and say. The most obvious example is with the daleks. At its most unsubtle a particular dalek or Davros will say to the doctor "You would make a good dalek". In the story "Dalek" I thought it was well used because it was subtle but by the time of "Into the Dalek" i felt it was hackneyed, overused, repetitive and just plain annoying. Moments of self doubt in a lead character can be interesting but not if they don't go anywhere and just lead the story up a blind alley.

I did notice the pay off line in "Heaven" that you refer to and at the time i just thought it was a waste of dialogue in a story that was virtually starved of good lines. It added nothing to the story or the personal character development of the doctor. Imagine if, in Inspector Morse, Thaw had kept saying "Lewis - am i a good DCI?" at the start of each episode and then, just prior to the arrest scenes, said "I am not a good DCI - I am a dickhead!" as he realised "who did it". But then I don't think Colin Dexter would have been stupid enough to do that. He had his reputation to think of and had a better idea than Moffat of how to write entertaining drama.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:I may be misunderstanding re subjectivity / objectivity but i have always disliked the use of moral relativism to equate what the doctor does with what his alien opponents do and say. The most obvious example is with the daleks. At its most unsubtle a particular dalek or Davros will say to the doctor "You would make a good dalek". In the story "Dalek" I thought it was well used because it was subtle but by the time of "Into the Dalek" i felt it was hackneyed, overused, repetitive and just plain annoying. Moments of self doubt in a lead character can be interesting but not if they don't go anywhere and just lead the story up a blind alley.

I think it worked in Dalek for a few reasons.

Firstly because the Doctor was put in a quandary position of alliance with the humans who were keeping the Dalek prisoner and torturing it. Were it any other creature, the Doctor would've rightly railed against the humans (as Rose did), but here he is made complicit in their cruelty because he hates the Daleks enough to blind him to that.

Secondly, because it seemed to fit the mission statement of the show about accepting the alien, and the fact that the Doctor was a new, and not necessarily trustworthy figure yet. In that sense, the story, by making the comparison and questioning the line between Doctor and Dalek, is saying in a perhaps important way "just because the Doctor looks human, don't assume that makes it impossible for him or other humans to be just as moonstrous as the aliens".

By Into the Dalek it didn't make any sense, and I think Stubagful perfectly summed up why, in that the only reason Rusty is considered a redeemed Dalek is because he wants all the Daleks dead because they're evil, which is the exact same reason the Doctor is considered by Clara, as just as bad as the Daleks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum