The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confused by lack of reasons why the Doctor should be female

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

I was reading burrunjor's "why a female Doctor Who is anti men bigotry and hate" and he made a very interesting point: They (pro female Doctor group) Haven’t Actually Got A Reason For Wanting A Female Doctor.


What reasons have you heard that made you really consider the decision in a positive light?

The "young girls finally have a role model" reason is bullshit because a)it implies that before the decision there was no women for young girls to taken inspiration from b) also implies that young girls are unable to have a role model unless the character is female and c) is not a valid reason at this time because we've only seen her in a hoodie and crash and fall out of the TARDIS. I predict she'll probably be rude, smug and will be on a mission to put all men in their place. If that's the case then we REALLY should be afraid for the future.

The other reason is "well, why not?" and I don't really even need to answer that one. Why not create a TV show about a cool female time traveller? Just like people that want a female James Bond why not ask for a tv/movie series about a female spy instead? As burrunjor mentioned in his article, nobody is asking for a male Xena. I don't actually remember anyone asking for a female character to be male.

View user profile
Nada. Zero.

I have yet to come across a single compelling argument as to why changing the Doctor's gender after 54 years and completely raping the show's history and lore is in any way, shape or form a good idea.

Pretty much all the BS I've seen from all the female Doctor advocates I've debated with over the past few months can be boiled down to this:


"NuWho made it canon"

"Men and women aren't that different"

"Changing gender is hardly more ludicrous than being able to time travel in a police box that's bigger on the inside"

"It was a massive change when they changed the leading actor back in the 1960's, but the show managed to survive anyway"  

"There are a lot of great actresses out there that would totally nail the part"

"Boys have had over 50 years of having a role model. Now it's the girls turn"


There's zero reason to completely ruin the Doctor's character and throw decades of lore into the garbage when you can just simply do a spinoff show with either Susan or Romana. Hell, Big Finish are actually doing a spinoff series with Jenny right as we speak. You want a female lead in the Doctor Who universe in order to appeal to young girls? Well, there you have it! And it was all accomplished without ruining the Doctor's character and soiling the show's history. Amazing, right?

View user profile
CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:I was reading burrunjor's "why a female Doctor Who is anti men bigotry and hate" and he made a very interesting point: They (pro female Doctor group) Haven’t Actually Got A Reason For Wanting A Female Doctor.


What reasons have you heard that made you really consider the decision in a positive light?

The "young girls finally have a role model" reason is bullshit because a)it implies that before the decision there was no women for young girls to taken inspiration from b) also implies that young girls are unable to have a role model unless the character is female and c) is not a valid reason at this time because we've only seen her in a hoodie and crash and fall out of the TARDIS. I predict she'll  probably be rude, smug and will be on a mission to put all men in their place. If that's the case then we REALLY should be afraid for the future.

The other reason is "well, why not?" and I don't really even need to answer that one. Why not create a TV show about a cool female time traveller? Just like people that want a female James Bond why not ask for a tv/movie series about a female spy instead? As burrunjor mentioned in his article, nobody is asking for a male Xena. I don't actually remember anyone asking for a female character to be male.


Thanks man for the shout out.

The sad thing is that not only are there no reasons for a female Doctor to happen, but there are actually dozens of great reasons for a Romana spinoff too.

1/ There are so many actresses that would be great for Romana. There are NO actresses that would be great for the Doctor.

Even genuinely quirky talented actresses would never be as good for the role as a guy, because well the character is a a guy, with an established history as a guy, so the woman will always stick out like a sore thumb.

With Romana however she would be their character, and furthermore the actresses would also have more freedom to develop her and establish her persona.

Also Romana could be a role for more unusual, older, character actresses to be leads in tv shows, in much the same way as the Doctor was that for men.

2/ Romana's series could be a totally different type of show to Doctor Who. Yes it would have the same premise of a hero travelling through time and space, but so what, Xena had the same basic premise as Hercules, and Angel as Buffy and they both did something new with it.

Romana could be set on alien planets more. In contrast to the Doctor, she might not have any real affection for humanity, and almost never visit the earth.

You could have her develop affection for a new planet, the way the Doctor does for earth.

You could build up the entire history of this world, its inhabitants, and also you could develop Romana's relationship with this planet in a different way to the Doctors with earth.

Maybe Romana would be more clumsy and reveal herself to them, and it would work out at first with her being a hero, but then it could all turn sour in a lot of ways. Maybe there would be a war where people Romana wouldn't want to take either side, but they would both want her to help them.

Maybe there would be a horrifying incident that she wasn't there to stop, like a plague or an invasion and they blame her.

Or maybe certain members of this race would pretend to be Romana, when they found out she can change her face, and use that for corrupt ends, meaning no one would trust the real Romana when she showed up?

You could also be bolder with stories set on this planet than invasion earth stories in DW. You obviously can't go too far if its an alien invasion as you have to put the toys back in the box at the end.

With Romana's favourite planet however you could have her fail and the planet get really damaged by alien invaders. It would be cool if you had it be humans invading Romana's world in the future!

3/ You can flesh Romana out more than the Doctor. Obviously a big part of the Doctors character is his mystery, so you can't reveal too much about his past. With Romana however that isn't an issue so you can show her past, reveal why she does what she does, maybe even explore more of Gallifrey.

4/ There are big gaps in Romana's story that might be interesting to fill in. Why did she leave E-Space, what happened to her during the Time War? Rassilon who maybe disposed her could have been a great foe for Romana (my choice for Rassilon BRIAN BLESSED!)

5/ Romana could have her own enemies, and she could still meet the Doctors. I also liked the way that characters like Ares and Spike had different dynamics with the Hercules and Angel than they did with Buffy and Xena.

You could do that with Romana. Maybe Romana would take pity on the Cybermen for instance? The Cybermen are after all sick, dying people. They just want to survive, but in order to do that they had to make themselves into machine creatures.

I always liked it the way in the early stories people still saw the Cybermen as people like when Ben is horrified at having killed a Cyberman in The Tenth Planet. So maybe Romana would see it that way and try and help some Cybermen. Obviously she'd have varying results so as not to undermine the Doctor.

As for the Daleks, Romana could have a more hateful relationship with them than even the Doctor. She was captured by the Daleks in Big Finish and tortured by them for decades. Maybe she is at first actually traumatised at the sight of them (maybe this was part of why she was diposed in the Time War.)

You'd then have her overcome her terror of the Daleks. We could see flashbacks of her being tortured in the Dalek camps, and seeing the horrors they inflicted on their prisoners. She would have seen their horrors up close to a greater extent than even the Doctor!

Those are 5 reasons we could have had a Romana spin off series, and on top of that all the bullshit reasons for a female Doctor, MUH representation, I want to see more female led series, (cause I can't be arsed watching the dozens that are out there.) ALL apply for Romana the series?

So question is why the fuck did these people not only not want a Romana spinoff but where actively opposed to it?

View user profile
The only problem with a Romana spin-off is that I'm not sure I'd want today's "talents" fucking up her character either.

View user profile
Exactly. What's the fucking point of changing the gender of a male character if you already have several female characters you could bring back? I think there was suggestion made by a fan where the Doctor would be kidnapped by a terrible enemy mid way through the series and Romana would return and become the main character for the rest of it, searching for him while encounter deadly foes and strange new worlds. Modern fans are incapable of using a search engine because most of them don't even know who Romana is. Or the Rani. Or Susan. Or Ace. I mean a quick five second search is fucking beyond them. I suppose that would mean they would have to take time out from writing badly constructed articles about how awesome and progressive their favourite show is for having a female lead.



View user profile
Let's be fair to Nu Who though. At least they did k9 without fucking it up.

Didn't they!?


_________________
"To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity."

Oscar Wilde
View user profile
@iank wrote:The only problem with a Romana spin-off is that I'm not sure I'd want today's "talents" fucking up her character either.

True. Here's how Romana would be "written" by Steven Moffat.

Fixing things is my way of flirting.

I've known the Doctor for years, ever since he was a girl and he was a very pretty girl.

Oh god you've only got one thought just like all men.

All those nights spent alone in the TARDIS with nothing to do, aside from the obvious.

I remember when I was a man. So glad it didn't stick.

I love the way you say Well. It just rolls off of your tongue. Its not the only thing that does that.

I love the Doctor but he doesn't even notice me. He is beautiful, he is forever, he can turn planets to dust, he has outlived galaxies, he has seen the mightiest civilisations fall and walked away unscathed, he can make creatures more terrifying than you can imagine run away in fear at the mention of his name, he is beyond life, death and time, yet the most amazing thing of all is that in spite of all the horrors he has seen, he is a good man. And that is why I love him so much. No matter what face he wears.

(Note: After writing this drivel Steven Moffat would send a grovelling apology to Whovian Feminism for calling the Doctor a man, rather than using a gender neutral pronoun, and spend the next 5 episodes insulting white men and sticking in obnoxious references to the great castration as penance.)

The Doctor would always overreact to things. Well he is a man.

Ohhhh Doctor I love your new face. It reminds me of my ex wife. She was a screamer too.

I'm fed up with watching the Daleks, supposedly one of the most advanced creatures in the universe, act like most men, trying to overcompensate for their eh, shortcomings (tickles a Dalek sphere) with these pathetic displays of toxic masculinity.

(Daleks all open fire on her, she is completely immune through some half arsed shit explanation and the Daleks just hobble around like doofuses.)

What's wrong? Do you boys have a little performance anxiety? This isn't the first time I've had this effect on a large group of men who are a little short in the game.

(Daleks fire on her again, nothing.)

Ohhhh look at that. Once again we have men that can't find the solution to a problem so they just shout and scream and stamp their feet, metaphorically speaking of course.

(Whovian Feminism writes an entire article about why this scene is the most amazing moment in the entire history of Doctor Who. Self loathing fanboy cucks, Mr Tardis, Richard E Cooper and Paul Cornell retweet this many times, and block anyone who disagrees.)

Ahh Doctor you've finally joined the sisterhood. A huge improvement I must say.

The Sontarans are what happen when you leave men in charge.

I love being so great at everything. Modesty just isn't sexy.


He would also have cast either a Milf or a just out of RADA personality vaccum, though it wouldn't have mattered as she would have been made to play it the same regardless, IE, SMUG!

View user profile
It's only really going to get funny if someone starts trolling the shit out of Whovian feminism and her acolytes by getting them to endorse some outrageously PC shit, like ret-conning the whole range and re-shooting all the episodes with BME women playing the various Doctors.

Maybe they could construct something about Davison's teeth being misogynistic because boys are allowed to eat more sweets, and ergo every shot of his amalgamised gob evinces patriarchal power.  Personally, I like the idea of getting them to like an article about the Daleks being the epitome of male aesthetic dominance, suggesting that, in future, the plunger and whisk should be replaced by orifices that look like happy, frothing clams.

View user profile
@Boofer wrote:It's only really going to get funny if someone starts trolling the shit out of Whovian feminism and her acolytes by getting them to endorse some outrageously PC shit, like ret-conning the whole range and re-shooting all the episodes with BME women playing the various Doctors.

Maybe they could construct something about Davison's teeth being misogynistic because boys are allowed to eat more sweets, and ergo every shot of his amalgamised gob evinces patriarchal power.  Personally, I like the idea of getting them to like an article about the Daleks being the epitome of male aesthetic dominance, suggesting that, in future, the plunger and whisk should be replaced by orifices that look like happy, frothing clams.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sadly I can't as I have been blocked but please by all means if anyone else wants to here you have my blessing Big Grin

View user profile
Does it absolutely HAVE to be Romana? I think a spinoff show with Susan could work equally well.

Hell, if anything Susan would actually benefit from a spinoff show much more than Romana since her character wasn't exactly treated very well by the writers. Only the Big Finish audio stories actually did her character justice.

A spinoff show with Susan would finally redeem her character and actually give her a proper onscreen role that does her character justice.

Plus, you also have the whole novelty of it being a show based around the Doctor's granddaughter. Which could easily be used as a massive hook to draw more casual viewers in.

View user profile
@DeadManRising wrote:Does it absolutely HAVE to be Romana? I think a spinoff show with Susan could work equally well.

Hell, if anything Susan would actually benefit from a spinoff show much more than Romana since her character wasn't exactly treated very well by the writers. Only the Big Finish audio stories actually did her character justice.

A spinoff show with Susan would finally redeem her character and actually give her a proper onscreen role that does her character justice.

Plus, you also have the whole novelty of it being a show based around the Doctor's granddaughter. Which could easily be used as a massive hook to draw more casual viewers in.  

Perhaps, but I think a problem with a Susan spin off is that she is a bit too similar to the Doctor. After all she loves earth too, she was falling in love with humans first, she was a renegade from the Time Lords etc.

I'd argue that a lot of the traits that we would later come to associate with the Doctor like his love of earth, comes from Susan. Added to that you can't really reveal to much of Susan's past without revealing the Doctors, so she has to be mysterious like him by default too. Susan most likely isn't her real name either.

In this respect, Susan the series would just kind of be Doctor Who all over again. What's good about Romana is that you can actually create a totally different series, as she is different to the Doctor.

I would like to see Susan again though in some capacity, scratch that, I would have liked to have seen Susan again BEFORE the Fitzroy Tavern cucks wrapped their grubby little mits over every area of the franchise. Maybe Susan could have been Romana's sidekick in her own show? That way you could regenerate both of the leads which again would set it apart from Doctor Who.

My choices for Romana would be Ingrid Oliver (not just because I am borderline in love with her LOL. She is a good actress, and she is kind of like a cross between Mary Tamm, posh, well spoken, dark and exotic, but she also has the humour and eccentric nature of Lalla Ward.) Dawn Steele would be a great choice, as would Katie McGrath too.

For Susan I'd like Morven Christie and Dana Delorenzo. (I don't give a fuck that she's American, she'd be like the Pertwee version of Susan, IE the really physical, badass version, who is really angry all the time, yet still in control.)



Its a huge loose end that needed to be tied up. As I pointed out in the article Commander Maxil read, it was funny that Susan was the only fanboy wish of Peter Capaldi's that Steven Moffat didn't give him.

Capaldi wanted the old TARDIS interior, so he got it in Hellbent.

Capaldi wanted the Mondasian Cybermen to return, so he got it.

Capaldi wanted a story with the First Doctor, so he got it.

Yet Susan was arguably his biggest fanboy wish, and she was barely even mentioned in his era? The reason for that is because if Susan had returned and been a hit with viewers, then right away the majority of people would have said "well why not give a spin off with her? She's basically a female Doctor?"

What would the likes of Whovian Feminism say then? They'd be exposed as A/ just wanting to make a name for themselves by taking over another character, B/ being motivated by anti men spite, and they stupidly see a female Doctor as a victory against all evil, cis white, heterosexual men (though I would have thought that was obvious from their lack of interest in female led series, but still this would have made it more so.) And C/ just wanting to impose their own agenda on as many people as possible.

Its funny I have never known a group of DW fans or fans of any long running series, that are as opposed to bringing back iconic female characters from the shows past as the Fitzroy Tavern cucks.

Okay there was Sarah, but still they have absolutely refused to bring back Romana, Susan and The Rani under any circumstances for the lamest of reasons. "Oh viewers don't know who they are". FFS that doesn't even matter anymore in the modern age. Plus why did you bring back The Great Intelligence, The Macra, The Silurians, The Sontarans, even The Master wasn't as well known to the public, as the Daleks and the Cybermen were?

View user profile
Perhaps, but I think a problem with a Susan spin off is that she is a bit too similar to the Doctor. In this respect, Susan the series would just kind of be Doctor Who all over again. What's good about Romana is that you can actually create a totally different series, as she is different to the Doctor.

Valid points that I never even considered. Well done.  


For Susan I'd like Morven Christie and Dana Delorenzo. (I don't give a fuck that she's American, she'd be like the Pertwee version of Susan, IE the really physical, badass version, who is really angry all the time, yet still in control.)

If they ever were to bring Susan back in any capacity, then they would absolutely HAVE to bring Carole Ann Ford back as well. I don't give a fuck if she's ancient and isn't the best actress in the world. She's Doctor Who's original companion and has been the only incarnation of Susan for over 50 years. For all intents and purposes, she IS Susan.

Therefore, it's just the right thing to do. Bring her back for either one episode or one full series and that way you can have her regenerate and formally pass the torch to the next incarnation.

View user profile
@DeadManRising wrote:
Perhaps, but I think a problem with a Susan spin off is that she is a bit too similar to the Doctor. In this respect, Susan the series would just kind of be Doctor Who all over again. What's good about Romana is that you can actually create a totally different series, as she is different to the Doctor.

Valid points that I never even considered. Well done.  


For Susan I'd like Morven Christie and Dana Delorenzo. (I don't give a fuck that she's American, she'd be like the Pertwee version of Susan, IE the really physical, badass version, who is really angry all the time, yet still in control.)

If they ever were to bring Susan back in any capacity, then they would absolutely HAVE to bring Carole Ann Ford back as well. I don't give a fuck if she's ancient and isn't the best actress in the world. She's Doctor Who's original companion and has been the only incarnation of Susan for over 50 years. For all intents and purposes, she IS Susan.

Therefore, it's just the right thing to do. Bring her back for either one episode or one full series and that way you can have her regenerate and formally pass the torch to the next incarnation.

Yeah I'd have no objection to Carole Ann Ford coming back. You could even flip it around a bit and have Susan be kind of the old mentor to Romana before she regenerates. Then you could have some fun with it, like have a really young actress as Susan still act as the mentor to the older actress playing Romana.

Like again Dana Delorenzo acting as a mentor to Dawn Steele might be quite interesting. Having Romana and Susan together could create a really interesting and unique dynamic of a show about aliens, with no humans in sight, as you could have them both virtually divorced from earth. Romana never cared much for the planet and maybe Susan who lost her family there didn't want to go back because of bad memories.

You could follow Big Finish's story, or maybe you could do something else. Perhaps Susan on earth with David used her advanced Time Lord intellect to help humanity rebuild, and became a hero for a while, but it ended up badly for her. Maybe the newly established human government captured her and experimented on her to try and create an army of Time Lord clones to use as a force.

Perhaps David and her family were killed and she spent years being tortured, and seeing horrible, deformed mutant clones of herself being created and discarded, before Romana found her and saved her?

Maybe Susan would also be embittered when she saw the Doctor, more so than Romana?

I'm suggesting things here, but there are so many ideas you could use for Romana and Susan together, and wouldn't two shows about time travelling aliens fighting monsters have been twice the fun?

They didn't do that however because again they wanted to stick it to men by simply taking the Doctor away. So now we have so much wasted potential, re Romana and Susan, and the entire image of the Doctor ruined as now you will always have to see a woman stuck on at the end, which just makes the whole thing look silly.

You'll think "why is there only one woman there if he's gender neutral?", "is she even meant to be the same character as the first 13 guys?"



This regeneration alone already seems like more of a parody. PS you can tell how shit Jodie is even from this clip AW BWILLIANT. I wouldn't even have cast her as Romana. As for Chinballs the only thing he should be allowed to write is a suicide note.

View user profile
@burrunjor wrote:
@DeadManRising wrote:
Perhaps, but I think a problem with a Susan spin off is that she is a bit too similar to the Doctor. In this respect, Susan the series would just kind of be Doctor Who all over again. What's good about Romana is that you can actually create a totally different series, as she is different to the Doctor.

Valid points that I never even considered. Well done.  


For Susan I'd like Morven Christie and Dana Delorenzo. (I don't give a fuck that she's American, she'd be like the Pertwee version of Susan, IE the really physical, badass version, who is really angry all the time, yet still in control.)

If they ever were to bring Susan back in any capacity, then they would absolutely HAVE to bring Carole Ann Ford back as well. I don't give a fuck if she's ancient and isn't the best actress in the world. She's Doctor Who's original companion and has been the only incarnation of Susan for over 50 years. For all intents and purposes, she IS Susan.

Therefore, it's just the right thing to do. Bring her back for either one episode or one full series and that way you can have her regenerate and formally pass the torch to the next incarnation.

Yeah I'd have no objection to Carole Ann Ford coming back. You could even flip it around a bit and have Susan be kind of the old mentor to Romana before she regenerates. Then you could have some fun with it, like have a really young actress as Susan still act as the mentor to the older actress playing Romana.

Like again Dana Delorenzo acting as a mentor to Dawn Steele might be quite interesting. Having Romana and Susan together could create a really interesting and unique dynamic of a show about aliens, with no humans in sight, as you could have them both virtually divorced from earth. Romana never cared much for the planet and maybe Susan who lost her family there didn't want to go back because of bad memories.

You could follow Big Finish's story, or maybe you could do something else. Perhaps Susan on earth with David used her advanced Time Lord intellect to help humanity rebuild, and became a hero for a while, but it ended up badly for her. Maybe the newly established human government captured her and experimented on her to try and create an army of Time Lord clones to use as a force.

Perhaps David and her family were killed and she spent years being tortured, and seeing horrible, deformed mutant clones of herself being created and discarded, before Romana found her and saved her?

Maybe Susan would also be embittered when she saw the Doctor, more so than Romana?

I'm suggesting things here, but there are so many ideas you could use for Romana and Susan together, and wouldn't two shows about time travelling aliens fighting monsters have been twice the fun?

They didn't do that however because again they wanted to stick it to men by simply taking the Doctor away. So now we have so much wasted potential, re Romana and Susan, and the entire image of the Doctor ruined as now you will always have to see a woman stuck on at the end, which just makes the whole thing look silly.

You'll think "why is there only one woman there if he's gender neutral?", "is she even meant to be the same character as the first 13 guys?"



This regeneration alone already seems like more of a parody. PS you can tell how shit Jodie is even from this clip AW BWILLIANT. I wouldn't even have cast her as Romana. As for Chinballs the only thing he should be allowed to write is a suicide note.


That's very amateurish. Certainly the most half assed regeneration scene of the modern series. Nobody in my family watched it on Christmas day which was the first time we hadn't done so since 2005. I can tell Whittaker is going to annoy me big time. In fact, this whole era is going to leave me with much damage.

"Yeah but JNT's era was worse! He like changed the exterior of the TARDIS for like a whole story. He ruined the show grrrr."

"If you think Steven Moffat is a bad writer you clearly haven't heard of Pip and Jane Baker"- actual comment on facebook.

Actually I have. I also own several novels they've written. Not only did they write in a unique and uncondescending way but they also made important, intelligent character sound like important, intelligent characters. Why is their dialogue considered crap but "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" is on T-shirts?

View user profile
Because the new who audience is composed of halfwits.

View user profile
The 12th Doctor's farewell speech was also incredibly cringe worthy.

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never, ever eat pears!"

Seriously? Who writes this shit!?

Also, why does the Doctor absolutely INSIST on regenerating inside the TARDIS console room when nearly every time he does so he causes the ship to blow up and crash? Why doesn't he regenerate in some special, closed-off room somewhere to prevent this from happening?

Yet another example of NuWho preferring style over substance.

View user profile
Not to mention his "speech" went on for fucking ever to the point of self-parody. Whatever happened to a simple, succinct and touching "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for." Now he acts like he's a fucking valedictorian or summut.

View user profile
@DeadManRising wrote:The 12th Doctor's farewell speech was also incredibly cringe worthy.

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never, ever eat pears!"

Seriously? Who writes this shit!?

Also, why does the Doctor absolutely INSIST on regenerating inside the TARDIS console room when nearly every time he does so he causes the ship to blow up and crash? Why doesn't he regenerate in some special, closed-off room somewhere to prevent this from happening?

Yet another example of NuWho preferring style over substance.

Agreed if I hear this stupid never be cruel or cowardly crap again I'm going to fucking scream!

Its the cheesiest shit imaginable. I'll forgive Terrance Dicks for including it in a book in the 1970s as a little thing for kids, but Moffat doesn't have to bring it up in every fucking episode. Particularly when it doesn't fit the character at all.

Also what is this hippie crap about love that keeps getting shoved into the show. UGH when was that a part of Doctor Who?

We also have more making the Doctor the pivot of the universe. All this they'll get it wrong without me, and the stars know his name. FFS what does that even mean? PS this is another reason a Romana show would be good as it would stop the new who twats from making the Doctor into the most important person who ever lived.

Also the thing I HATE the most is the way that they have utterly butchered the concept of regeneration.

FFS the Doctor is supposed to be the same man in ALL of his incarnations. Hence why his core persona always remains exactly the same. His outer personality changes in a superficial way as a result of the shake up of regeneration, and also simply living in a different body would change your outlookn and persona too.

Like 3 is more physical because he is a big guy, 4 is more energetic, because he is a younger guy etc.

The whole fucking reason regeneration was introduced was so that we could keep following the same character. They could have easily just had the Doctors son take over, or had it that the Doctor was a title passed on to renegade time lords whose goal was to protect the universe, but instead they came up with a genius way of having it be the same character whose body changed.

New Who however because they have to make everything into a big stupid soap opera, meoldrama then they have to make out that each Doctor is actually a different person, with all that remains being the memories.

As a result they have butchered the entire character and history of the show. Scenes like this, don't make any sense anymore.



Peter Davison's character hasn't met the Brig why does he talk like its old times. According to Tennant, everything about the Doctor dies from Doctor to Doctor, and Capaldi backed this up, referring to his successor in third person, saying that his regeneration is going to kill him etc.

God I hate the Fitzroy Tavern cucks so much. I honestly can't think of a worse pair of hands to put the show in.

View user profile
We also have more making the Doctor the pivot of the universe. All this they'll get it wrong without me, and the stars know his name. FFS what does that even mean? PS this is another reason a Romana show would be good as it would stop the new who twats from making the Doctor into the most important person who ever lived.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I personally don't have an issue with the Doctor being portrayed as this godlike, messiah type figure.

I mean, how many fucking times has the Doctor saved the universe over the years? How many lives and planets has he saved? How many threats has he eradicated? It makes sense that eventually he would build some kind of reputation across the universe and that people would eventually start hailing him as some sort of a god. It makes sense that legends of his exploits would spread amongst his enemies and that they would eventually begin to fear him.  

So long as they don't beat us over the head with all this childish, ego-stroking bullshit like "The Oncoming Storm" or "He's like fire and ice and rage". Or in Last of the Time Lords when they flat out turned him into flying space Jesus through the power of prayer, then I really don't see the issue.

Based on all the amazing shit he's done in his lifetime, the Doctor pretty much IS the most important person who ever lived.

View user profile
On the issue of the Doctor being female : someone I know well who, like myself (and many of us here) grew up watching the show agreed with me they weren't exactly in thrall to the idea of the lead character suddenly changing gender, by any means - the same as The Master changing gender, or if Romana changed back the other way, which I doubt will happen). However we also agreed that if it fit a situation or story and the show had the gravitas it had in Tru Who's era then it might have worked , even if the circumstances where it wouldn't jar have not yet occurred to me. But in the world of Nu Who it's either a) an attempt to show how liberal the showrunners and BBC are, albeit forced by a need to have cheap publicity, or b) a fig leaf, to stave off the then-growing criticism of the pay gap at the Beeb. Or a combination of the two.

But one thing still escapes me - why do so many Nu Who fans hate the idea of a female Doctor and say they won't watch it anymore but had no issue with Missy? I always felt the latter was inevitably going to lead to the former...

I see Dead Man Rising's point on the issue of the Doctor's power, but I feel what made his character both sympathetic & mysterious was that he would try not to draw attention to his status and background unless lives, including his own, were in danger, or in McCoy's case to play mind games with his more powerful adversaries. These days (s)he has enormous power, no mystery and a tendency to show/tell us things about their past which just make them, powerful or not, a laughing stock.


_________________
"To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity."

Oscar Wilde
View user profile
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I personally don't have an issue with the Doctor being portrayed as this godlike, messiah type figure.

I mean, how many fucking times has the Doctor saved the universe over the years? How many lives and planets has he saved? How many threats has he eradicated? It makes sense that eventually he would build some kind of reputation across the universe and that people would eventually start hailing him as some sort of a god. It makes sense that legends of his exploits would spread amongst his enemies and that they would eventually begin to fear him.

So long as they don't beat us over the head with all this childish, ego-stroking bullshit like "The Oncoming Storm" or "He's like fire and ice and rage". Or in Last of the Time Lords when they flat out turned him into flying space Jesus through the power of prayer, then I really don't see the issue.

Based on all the amazing shit he's done in his lifetime, the Doctor pretty much IS the most important person who ever lived.

Well obviously I nor anyone else doesn't mind the Daleks or the Cybermen knowing of and fearing the Doctor. That happened all the time in classic who. In fact its an important plot point in Day of the Daleks.

Also its okay to have shown him leave a mark on certain planets across the universe. However its never good to have your hero constantly boast about "I AM THE MOST AMAZING THING OF ALL TIME".

I mean really ego porn like this here isn't just bad for the Doctor, its bad all around.

View user profile
Also its okay to have shown him leave a mark on certain planets across the universe. However its never good to have your hero constantly boast about "I AM THE MOST AMAZING THING OF ALL TIME".

I mean really ego porn like this here isn't just bad for the Doctor, its bad all around.

Yeah... that's kinda what I already said.

It's okay for the Doctor to occasionally acknowledge how incredibly important he is and how the universe would suffer greatly without his presence. Or for other people to worship him and hail him as some sort of god for the countless civilisations he's saved.

So long as they don't constantly shove his godlike status down our throats with all this macho, ego-stroking bullshit like the video you just posted or the "Oncoming Storm" crap then it's perfectly fine like I mentioned in my previous post.

View user profile
Whovian Feminism's latest, she is claiming that Matt Smith only go hired because of sexism, or at least that he didn't win the role solely on merit because no women were allowed to audition.

That's another reason I hate a female Doctor. I mean there are so many reasons but this retconing bullshit that the Doctor can be anyone, is gender neutral actually makes the producers of classic Who look sexist and discriminatory towards hiring women.

After all why else would they not hire a woman for a role that apparently anyone can play?

I always HATED the Doctor Who is sexist claims growing up. IMO Classic Who wasn't sexist. Yes it had a few vulnerable female companions but so what?

It also had very strong and progressive female characters like Barbara, Sara, Vicki, Zoe, Liz, Sarah, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, Ace etc.

I might add that it also had plenty of wimpy male characters like Adric, Turlough, plenty of doofus male characters like Harry, hell even the Brig and Jamie from time to time.

IMO Classic Who had the best balance of male and female characters tbh. Its male characters weren't all cucks like that ghastly Supergirl tv series, but its female characters weren't all just wimpy damsels. Men and women were strong and brave depending on who they were personally and their back ground.

A guy in the military like the the Brig, and a cave woman like Leela were obviously going to be badasses, whilst a science geek like Adric and a pampered Victorian teenager like Victoria were obviously not.

However stupid hack writers and lame ass "Edgy" comedians like that excremental smear Jimmy Carr or that pretentious cuck Eddie Izzard would always attack the show for being sexist without ever having seen it just because it had a male hero and female sidekick.

Again by that logic Buffy and Xena and Charmed and Once Upon A Time are all anti men then since they have female heroes and male sidekicks?

Sadly however the Fitzroy Tavern cucks have once again stabbed classic who and its fans in the back as now in popular culture this shit, along with rewriting Hartnell's Doctor to being a raving sexist, homophobe and racist will just reinforce that idea.

Lazy reporters will write that "the Doctor was prevented from being a woman for 50 years by the shows old fashioned producers, and its backward fandom who couldn't accept a woman as the lead" when it was actually because the Doctor was a male character and turning him into a woman would have been jarring, same way the producers never thought about casting Wilfred Bramble as Romana 2 instead of Lalla Ward as he might have looked a tad more out of place.

Then again I can see why the Fitzroy tavern cucks wanted a female Doctor. They are such pathetic narcissists they can't like a character unless they can relate to him. Given that the likes of Paul Cornell, Steven Moffat and Chris Chibnall all clearly sold their testicles for membership of the SJW club its obvious that they would want the Doctor to lose his balls too.

View user profile
Oh, who cares? She just sounds like a dumb, worthless cunt to me.
Why do you follow such a worthless piece of trash? Paying attention to such saddos only encourages them.

View user profile
Yeah, I'm with iank on this one. Why obsessively follow someone on Twitter and type out massive essays deconstructing all the inane bullshit she spews out when everyone with a functioning brain knows just how full of shit she is? Life's too short to focus on dumb bullshit like this.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum