bryanbraddock
iank
#BeKind
TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Mott1
BillPatJonTom
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Least favourite Classic story? Empty Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 3:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Revenge of the Cybermen for me. An absolute turd of the highest order.

2Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 4:01 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

Underworld.
The only story that took me 3 attempts to get through.

And I watch Hartnell recons.

3Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 5:11 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Yeah Underworld isn't I suspect one of Baker's best. But in a series as long running as classic Who was, it's maybe inevitable that there's going to be a few stories falling into a least favourite category. One of mine is actually Castrovalva. Now I don't say it's necessarily the worst classic Who story but it's one of my least favourite (as I've commented elsewhere).

I don't think it compares at all well with previous stories for a new Doc. Consider Power of the Daleks - a dramatic change of lead kicking off Troughton's era, energised by the series' arch baddies at their best. Or Spearhead from Space, with its revolutionary film debut for Pertwee in colour, plus seriously scary enemies in strongly Quatermass style. And Robot brought Tom Baker's eccentric energy to the fore, reinforced by good old fashioned UNIT antics to reassure the regular audience. After Tom's departure in the somewhat solemn Logopolis, we didn't get the exciting launch we might have hoped for because Casatrovalva felt like a rather ponderous affair with little seeming to happen except a lot of boring scenes cooped up in the TARDIS and only a ridiculous plot to lure the new Doc into an elaborately silly trap.

While the Escher-esque stuff might have offered a few points of interest along the way, for the most part, it felt too dull and worse it was hampered by Davison seeming a pale shadow of his predecessors, confined or enfeebled for practically the entire story. A more suitable launch for Davison might just have been something like Black Orchid but I thought Castrovalva was too poor a start for this era which didn't really feel authentic to me until eventually things livened up a bit with more dramatic and traditional stories, notably Earthshock.

4Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 5:45 pm

Mott1

Mott1

The Creature From The Pit is one of the nadirs, for me. Also Timeflight and Planet Of Fire (which for some reason I thought was much worse on second viewing). Time & The Rani should be included but each time I see it there are a few things I rate, like the bubble traps and the general lightheartedness that would grate so badly in Nu Who.

5Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 9:09 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Dimensions in Time.

Still better than anything NuWho though. Outstages Blink / Empty Child / Heaven Sent etc. to the point of absurdity.

Least favourite Classic story? Giphy

6Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 9:23 pm

iank

iank

The Time Monster, Underworld and Trial are all pretty bottom of the barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 10:00 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Monster of Peladon is another one that I just can't stand.

8Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 10:41 pm

#BeKind

#BeKind

"" Classic "" meaning anything staring my girl Jodie???

It Takes Yuo Away cuz all the nerdy BS about parlalel worlds and dimensions etc took away fron the importent message about how dangerous single fathers are. Obvs a despirate atempt at pandering to the white male sci fi audeince who arent even fans of the show. It doesn't belong to the nerds any more. Dr Who is about CHANGE, so lets move on!

https://doctorwhofeministfront.tumblr.com

9Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 13th March 2019, 11:06 pm

iank

iank

Commander Maxil wrote:The Monster of Peladon is another one that I just can't stand.

I don't mind it. It's overlong, but the Queen is very tasty. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

10Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 14th March 2019, 1:50 am

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

iank wrote:I don't mind it. It's overlong, but the Queen is very tasty. Big Grin

Indeed. She was adorable.

Least favourite Classic story? 22405-22935

11Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 14th March 2019, 1:57 am

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

Commander Maxil wrote:Revenge of the Cybermen for me. An absolute turd of the highest order.

Now. Maybe it's because It was one of the first video releases and I watched it ad nauseum back in the day but I quite like Revenge of the Cybermen.
It has my personal favorite TARDIS team of Harry,Sarah and the Fourth Doctor, a great villainous turn by Jeremy Wilkin as Kellman, and the addition of Who stalwarts William Marlowe,Michael Wisher,Kevin Stoney & David Collings in the cast.
I know the plot is weak, and the Cybermen are awful but I still enjoy it.

12Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 14th March 2019, 9:55 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

#BeKind wrote:"" Classic "" meaning anything staring my girl Jodie???

It Takes Yuo Away cuz all the nerdy BS about parlalel worlds and dimensions etc took away fron the importent message about how dangerous single fathers are. Obvs a despirate atempt at pandering to the white male sci fi audeince who arent even fans of the show. It doesn't belong to the nerds any more. Dr Who is about CHANGE, so lets move on!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

13Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 17th May 2019, 2:07 pm

REDACTED

Warriors Of The Deep, Underworld and The Dominators. The former is just utter whippetsh*t and the latter two are cures for insomnia.

14Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 17th May 2019, 10:15 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Stories which I've thought, "Pooh, what a stinker!" with little or no redeeming qualities were:

The Web Planet
The Smugglers
The Space Pirates
Monster Of Peladon
Masque of the Mandragora
Underworld(episode 1 is quite good though)
Ribos Operation
Armageddon Factor
Horns Of the Nimon
Four To Doomsday
Mysterious Planet
Mindwarp
Happiness Patrol
Battlefield

Most least favourite is probably The Web Planet, I'm sure it's fucking great if you watch it zonked out on LSD, but otherwise it's a real fucking chore to watch.

Last edited by Rob Filth on 17th May 2019, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

15Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 17th May 2019, 10:16 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Rob Filth wrote:

Most least favourite is probably The Web Planet, I'm sure it's fucking great if you watch it zonked out on LSD, but otherwise it's a real fucking chore to watch.

Don't say that, you'll upset Ian LOL

I quite enjoyed The Smugglers myself.

16Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 20th May 2019, 12:45 pm

stengos

stengos

The Bannermen and Delta.

17Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 20th May 2019, 2:49 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The one that's a ghastly, moribund load of Myrka-shit and fanwank.

18Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 21st May 2019, 11:25 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:The one that's a ghastly, moribund load of Myrka-shit and fanwank.

Yeah, your favorite story of all time. Wink

19Least favourite Classic story? Empty Re: Least favourite Classic story? 21st May 2019, 11:35 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Well, only on the first day of April....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum