You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you like most about the Colin Baker era?

+6
Kaijuko
Pepsi Maxil
UncleDeadly
bryanbraddock
iank
Mott1
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

iank

iank

Commander Maxil wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:Evidently there's a good deal of appreciation for the Colin Baker era around these parts. Any thoughts as to why it is so widely disparaged within "fandom"?

I'm not quite sure. I'm sick to death of the repetitive rubbish they spout on so many occassions. It goes a little like this:

"Colin Baker was a good Doctor but he was let down by the writing and terrible scripts. He's so much better in Big Finish because you don't see that awful coat"

You only need to go on YouTube or Facebook to see comments like this made by Derrick or Joe or Timothy or Daniel or whoever.

This is another one that gets repeated again and again and again and again and again:

"If you think insert modern writer, era or actor here is bad then you clearly haven't heard of insert 80s writer, era or actor here"

Sorry, but this fandom is full of absolute dullards. Don't get me started on the anti-McCoy brigade. What a bunch of tasteless prats.

Most people are sheep. That's what it comes down to, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Yeah.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I think Katz would have been a great companion of the Sixth Doctor. Not only was she more beautiful than Peri, but the character was kick ass, no nonsense and extremely likeable in her scenes.

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

I was a hardcore Doctor Who fan from the age of 6 in 1979 till Season 22 in 85. I still loved old Doctor Who, and bought the Target books etc, but tbh apart from finding Nicola attractive, Colin's era really dampened my enthusiasm for the show, which didn't recover until Season 25.

However now when I re-watch those 2 seasons I do actually enjoy quite a bit about them.
I think the softened relationship between Peri & the Doctor, and Colin's less bombastic performance during season 23 is a vast improvement. Mark of the Rani is an enjoyable pseudo historical, although Ainley's master was not needed. the Rani in her initial appearance is quite a good villain. Not an 80's pantomime villain but an amoral scientist who simply thinks the end justifies the means.
Sil is memorable and Michael Jayston as the Valeyard was great and sadly wasted in those interminable trial scenes.
The Two Doctor's isn't a Holmes classic but is still bags of fun, especially when John Stratton is chewing the scenery as Shockeye.
I think the only reason I was put off it so much as a twelve year old  was that it was such a departure from the coziness of the Davison era and THAT coat.
At the end of the day,I still rewatch Colin's era which is more than can be said for any nuwho.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

One of the few bad things about the era is the constant poor direction. Attack, Rani,Revelation and Trial parts 8-14 do not suffer from this, but the direction in Varos, Two Doctors and Mindwarp is so incredibly flat and static. The Two Doctors is the best story of the era but it almost feels as if Peter Moffatt is deliberately trying to ruin it. The worst scene is when the Sontaran first takes off his helmet. It's shot in such an offhanded way as if the moment isn't even worth filming.

iank

iank

Katz was pretty hot. Wasn't the actress in CATS EYES at around the same time?

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:The execution performance-wise
Pantomimic exaggeration conveyed by Colin Baker.

Bollocks, quite frankly. Precisely the sort of lazy, spurious fan myths I'm talking about.

No, not "bollocks".
I watched his efforts at the time and cringed at Colin's faux performance back in the day. Without the retrospective memory-cheating sepia, his acting on the show was a blatant. heavy-handed pile of poo and the answer to the query.

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

What Mott1 said. Also, Nicola Bryant. Pic very much related.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:Katz was pretty hot. Wasn't the actress in CATS EYES at around the same time?

She was. She looked like this:

What do you like most about the Colin Baker era? - Page 2 Tracy10

Incredibly sexy woman. Her performance is one of many I happen to enjoy in Timelash. I really dig Jeananne Crowley as Vena, Paul Darrow as Tekker, Robert Ashby as the Borad and, of course, Eric Deacon as Mykros. They're certainly all better than Jason Connery LOL

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

ClaytonDickman wrote:his acting on the show was a blatant. heavy-handed pile of poo

How very eloquent and insightful. Well done, you've just nullified your opportunity to be taken even remotely seriously.

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
ClaytonDickman wrote:his acting on the show was a blatant. heavy-handed pile of poo

How very eloquent and insightful. Well done, you've just nullified your opportunity to be taken even remotely seriously.

Any credit in your bank was debited the moment you used the word "Bollocks" in reaction to an apposite opinion at odds with your own humble viewpoint.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Any credit in your bank was debited the moment you used the word "Bollocks" in reaction to an apposite opinion at odds with your own humble viewpoint.

It was well-earned. And I'll happily take out a loan...

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bloody hell, shots are being fired on this thread!

LOL LOL LOL

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Declined due to too many Cunty Court Judgements against you.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Your wit is severely overdrawn, sir. Perhaps a second mortgage on your brain would be in order?

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Your wit is severely overdrawn, sir. Perhaps a second mortgage on your brain would be in order?

Expect a visit from the bailiffs anytime soon, my good man. Your intelligence, pride and ego have gone into liquidation.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Expect a visit from the bailiffs anytime soon, my good man. Your intelligence, pride and ego have gone into liquidation.

I can assure you my pride and ego are in fine fettle. As for my intelligence; it was, at least, long-running, family-owned and independent. Yours failed in the first year.

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

I can assure you my pride and ego are in fine fettle. As for my intelligence; it was, at least, long-running, family-owned and independent. Yours failed in the first year.

Clearly a blindness to bruises is in evidence, masked behind bandages bursting with false modesty and an over-inflated opinion of self-worth.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Clearly a blindness to bruises is in evidence, masked behind bandages bursting with false modesty and an over-inflated opinion of self-worth.

I was about to accuse you of having finally fostered an iota of self-awareness. However, some "pantomimic exaggeration" is clearly present.

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

I was about to accuse you of having finally fostered an iota of self-awareness. However, some "pantomimic exaggeration" is clearly present.

The irony is strong with this one, Mr Pot.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

And yet your grasp of irony is so very weak. How ironic...

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Once again, an incredibly weak level of mordancy on your behalf.

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Sorry Clayton, this is no longer remotely interesting. You haven't understood half of what I've said to you anyway, so this is no longer a challenge.

When I am no longer offered a challenge, I move on.

...and it isn't possible for me to speak on my behalf, you functional illiterate; I AM me.

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:
Clayton Dickman wrote:
UncleDeadly wrote:

Sorry Clayton, this is no longer remotely interesting. You haven't understood half of what I've said to you anyway, so this is no longer a challenge.

When I am no longer offered a challenge, I move on.

...and it isn't possible for me to speak on my behalf, you functional illiterate; I AM me.

So long, simpleton. Ride off into the sunset on your high horse and don't stop until you encounter a morsel of humility or die of old age.

iank

iank

Just get married already.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum