Arthur Stengos
Jonzu77
43 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 42]

51Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 19th October 2018, 1:52 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

New Who Shill wrote:Compared to some episodes where Doctor Who has only subtly touched on racism in period settings, “Rosa” does not shy away or sugarcoat its portrayal of the divide in 1955, with abhorrent acts on full display almost as soon as the gang steps out of the TARDIS. Ryan and Yaz are subjected to verbal and even physical abuse, that some may find tough to stomach.

I've found all of new who tough to stomach for the past 5 years.

God the virtue signalling looks like its going to get out of control in this episode. Still not going to watch though. I'm going to watch Tomb of the Cybermen instead. True Who beats out Chinballs fanfic anyday.

52Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 19th October 2018, 2:07 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Sidekicks Ryan Sinclair and Yasmin Khan face discrimination as they are refused entry to a motel and both discuss modern racism, too.

Ryan, played by black actor Tosin Cole, says: “It’s not like Rosa Parks wipes out racism from the world forever.

“Otherwise how come I get stopped by police way more than my white mates? Tell me you don’t get it?”

Police officer Yasmin, played by Mandip Gill, replies: “Of course I do, especially on the job.

“I get called a Paki when I am sorting out a domestic or a terrorist on the way home from the mosque. But they don’t win, those people.

Oh dear god this looks like it might actually top Death in Heaven LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Wonder when there will be an episode about the Doctor tackling the grooming gangs hmm? THAT is actually the biggest case of institutionalized racism there has been in this country for the past 30 years!

Basically this Rosa episode is just the writers doing this.

Anyone who watches it is a mug.

53Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 19th October 2018, 5:07 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/p0RDMJGgMXF96" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-laughing-laugh-p0RDMJGgMXF96"></a></p>

54Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 19th October 2018, 5:17 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'll be too busy enjoying the fuck out of the charming and incredibly entertaining Delta and the Bannermen to even care Big Grin

55Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 20th October 2018, 5:55 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I know some of you are not that hot about MrReTARDIS, but he put up a Timeless Child speculation video that I found quite funny...he takes some pot shots at Youtuber Emergency Awesome and reactor Seskkasays that got me chuckling. Definitely one of his more "on form" videos

56Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 20th October 2018, 8:53 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Ai's for the first 2 were 83, and 82.

Which is pretty much on par with the previous, mediocre season.

I'm not sure these mean anything any more.

57Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 8:48 am

Zarius

Zarius

58Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 8:17 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Was going to give the rest of Series 11 a miss, but after hearing that this was the episode where the Doctor meets Rosa Parks, I just couldn't resist tuning in purely out of curiosity.

Good fucking lord... this felt more like an afterschool special rather than an episode of Doctor Who.

Literally five minutes into the episode and as soon as the crew lands, Ryan gets slapped by some random racist for trying to hand his wife a handkerchief that she accidentally dropped in the middle of the street. Then of course, Rosa Parks immediately steps in to break it up and save the day. Yup, this totally doesn't feel contrived in the slightest.

Then almost immediately after that, the Doctor and her friends are all forced to leave a cafe. You know, since they don't serve black people. Then about ten minutes or so after this, a policeman knocks on the door to the motel room that the Doctor and his friends are chilling out at, and then asks her where her "mongrel" black friends have gone off to.

Good lord, I didn't think their portrayal of racism in this episode would be THIS heavy handed.  

As for the actual story, (what little there is) it was pretty fucking terrible. A time traveling racist dressed like a 1950's greaser with a vortex manipulator trying to prevent racial equality in the future by stopping Rosa Parks from refusing to stand up on the bus? Give me a fucking break.

Also, that scene near the end where the Doctor saves the course of history and Rosa refuses to stand up on the bus with sappy music playing in the background just made me want to puke. So mawkish and overly sentimental.

Oh, yeah. Apparently the Sonic Screwdriver can now magically make pen writing on a wall invisible, and then visible again. *Groans*

This is easily one of the worst episodes in Doctor Who history. Right up there with the likes of The End of Time and Death in Heaven. It was cringe worthy, overly preachy and it barely had any goddamn plot.

Final rating: 1/10

59Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 8:37 pm

Bill

Every white male in this episode was "evil" (except Graham). I apologise for having white skin and being male. I thought being a white male wasn't anything to do with me really, but apparently it must have been a conscious choice on my part - the wrong choice. Again I apologise. I should have been a cane cutter.

60Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 8:41 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I got the feeling that nuance and subtlety were not going to be the order of the day with this episode.

Just watching Still Open All Hours now. Is Sunday night officially the timeslot that once-great BBC programs go to die? Ghastly!

61Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 8:50 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Come on, Zarius.

You're the resident NuWho apologist here. What did you think of tonight's episode?

62Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 9:18 pm

Zarius

Zarius

DeadManRising wrote:Come on, Zarius.

You're the resident NuWho apologist here. What did you think of tonight's episode?

This was a fifth season Quantum Leap episode, hell I'm tempted to rewrite it as a QL episode, it even had a foe that "leaped out" near the end LOL

That nonsense with sending the bus driver off to Mill Creek wasn't needed...should have just changed the schedule for the passengers instead. Talk about padding out the run time.

Wasn't expecting the references to StormCage, wonder if that's River's manipulator? Smile

Oh, and Doctor and Graham posing as a couple...I 'ship it. but of Foeyay going on with her and Krasco as well.

7 or a 6 for me

63Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 10:14 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

The Telegraph gave the episode 2/5: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/10/21/doctor-rosa-review-well-intended-poorly-executed-riff-history/

'... a well-intended but poorly executed riff on history.'

'Well-intended,' - let's not pretend that the writers crafted this to any satisfaction aside from egoistical self-affirmation. I don't think these strawmen white villains were sculpted out of some divine altruism, but that's just me.

The IMDb ratings are interesting, though. Looks like the ratings for the earlier two episodes have dropped to 7.6 and 6.8 respectively. This one's sitting at a pretty dire 6.0, albeit with few ratings - as to whether it might rise or drop I can't say.

64Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 10:45 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

DeadManRising wrote:Was going to give the rest of Series 11 a miss, but after hearing that this was the episode where the Doctor meets Rosa Parks, I just couldn't resist tuning in purely out of curiosity.

Good fucking lord... this felt more like an afterschool special rather than an episode of Doctor Who.

Literally five minutes into the episode and as soon as the crew lands, Ryan gets slapped by some random racist for trying to hand his wife a handkerchief that she accidentally dropped in the middle of the street. Then of course, Rosa Parks immediately steps in to break it up and save the day. Yup, this totally doesn't feel contrived in the slightest.

Then almost immediately after that, the Doctor and her friends are all forced to leave a cafe. You know, since they don't serve black people. Then about ten minutes or so after this, a policeman knocks on the door to the motel room that the Doctor and his friends are chilling out at, and then asks her where her "mongrel" black friends have gone off to.

Good lord, I didn't think their portrayal of racism in this episode would be THIS heavy handed.  

As for the actual story, (what little there is) it was pretty fucking terrible. A time traveling racist dressed like a 1950's greaser with a vortex manipulator trying to prevent racial equality in the future by stopping Rosa Parks from refusing to stand up on the bus? Give me a fucking break.

Also, that scene near the end where the Doctor saves the course of history and Rosa refuses to stand up on the bus with sappy music playing in the background just made me want to puke. So mawkish and overly sentimental.

Oh, yeah. Apparently the Sonic Screwdriver can now magically make pen writing on a wall invisible, and then visible again. *Groans*

This is easily one of the worst episodes in Doctor Who history. Right up there with the likes of The End of Time and Death in Heaven. It was cringe worthy, overly preachy and it barely had any goddamn plot.

Final rating: 1/10

Happy to say I didn't watch this trainwreck, but I am really tempted to now. A friend of mine did tell me on FB that it was a lot of race baiting shit, but dear lord.

65Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 10:49 pm

iank

iank

I can't tell you how relieved I feel that I've given this shit up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

66Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:06 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mr Tardis is praising it as a daring episode of DW that is still relevant. Yeah so daring of DW. It wants to tackle racism and be relevant to its audience. Okay so does it do one about the Rochdale Grooming gangs? The racially motivated tortured and molestation of thousands of girls for their skin colour? One the media and the establishment did bugger all to help, and even silenced people who did? A subject that is still relevant as its still happening today? The biggest racist scandal in the UK, (the country DW's main audience is in), of the last 60 years?

Nah. They'll do one about something happened 60 years ago, in America and praise someone that everybody views as a hero. So edgy! What next? Are they going to do an edgy story where they come to the controversial conclusion that Chamberlain's policy of appeasement was a disaster?

67Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:11 pm

iank

iank

Oh I know. How brave of them to tackle something that has... no relevance whatsoever to the 21st century west. Who wants to be brave, how about doing a future satire on the end result of the anti-white, anti-male PC Nazism of today? Now that would actually be relevant.
That won't happen, though, because of the BBC are among the biggest proponents of it, hence dragging up some shit that isn't relevant to the modern US, let alone the UK (which is supposed to be the main audience). Rolling Eyes

68Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:15 pm

Boofer

Boofer

They're bumming it on GB.

Well, at least in the ratings thread.

69Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:19 pm

iank

iank

Isn't GB basically just 99% NPCs now?

Almost all the old school fans got banned last year. LOL

70Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:24 pm

Boofer

Boofer

As I said to someone earlier, the show is about seasons 1-26 for me now.

I don't give a fuck about New Who or anything that's erupted from the anus of Big Finish over the past few years.

71Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:32 pm

iank

iank

Agreed.

72Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:43 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:Oh I know. How brave of them to tackle something that has... no relevance whatsoever to the 21st century west. Who wants to be brave, how about doing a future satire on the end result of the anti-white, anti-male PC Nazism of today? Now that would actually be relevant.
That won't happen, though, because of the BBC are among the biggest proponents of it, hence dragging up some shit that isn't relevant to the modern US, let alone the UK (which is supposed to be the main audience). Rolling Eyes

I know. All races can be racist. I'm obviously not trying to say that the grooming gangs represent all or even a majority of dark skinned people. However because of things like segregation, the KKK, etc, and because white people are still the majority in Western countries, then its much easier to talk about white on black racism, than the other way around.

That's not right of course. To start with that treats dark skinned people as children who can't be held to the same moral standard as white people. It also leaves the white victims of racism out in the cold, and finally it stokes up hatred ironically towards all dark skinned people, as no solutions are being offered to the problems some members of their society create.

Now in all fairness I don't think its DW's place to solve racism in western society LOL. If given the choice I'd rather not have a white guilt episode, or an episode about the grooming gangs. Id rather have you know a SCI FI, FANTASY adventure (which according to our good man DeaManRising, was in terminally short supply in this episode.)

Still if the show and its ass kissing fans are going to tout it as brave, ground breaking, daring show, that says what other series are afraid to tackle and Chinballs wants to educate people on racism, then put your money where your mouth is and have some balls, and yes the Grooming Gang scandal, not just in Rochdale, but all across this country is THE biggest racist scandal in this country for the past 40 years.

This isn't just one racist cunt killing someone, or even a few dodgy cops. This is the biggest sexual abuse scandal (topping even Jimmy Savile) and it was motivated by race.  (Again that's not saying that dark skinned people are more racist than white skinned people. We've done just as much shit in the past, but here and now in 2018, THIS is the big example of institutionalized racism to tackle.)

All White Women Are Good For One Thing

No they're big daring statement that needed to be said. "Rosa Parks good. Racism bad. Interracial relationships good." WOW in 2018, that's just such a dangerous, edgy thing to say.

Pathetic! PS why do I have a feeling that if this was the time of Rosa Parks, then NPCs like Chinballs and Mr Tardis would be the last people to talk about it?

73Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 21st October 2018, 11:46 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Boofer wrote:As I said to someone earlier, the show is about seasons 1-26 for me now.

I don't give a fuck about New Who or anything that's erupted from the anus of Big Finish over the past few years.

100 percent agreed. New Who is non canon and in time will be consigned to the ash heap of history. I just hope it doesn't drag Classic Who down with it.

74Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 22nd October 2018, 12:15 am

Boofer

Boofer

They'll probably try to get TB to do a BF as an unbound trans Doctor who time-travels about in a mini mosque called 'AL TARDIS'.

75Series 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: Series 11 22nd October 2018, 6:31 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Rosa is the true test of NPC status.
It's objectively bad. Acting, dialogue, wilfull ignorance of history, the appalling American accents, the lousy antagonist. How telling that Doctor Who's female spinoff now has "villains" (as described), reducing it to the level of a cartoon, and not a very good one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum