Rawkuss
Defeatment
Genkimonk
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Worst Moffat Retcon 11th September 2017, 3:05 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I was wondering which Moffat retcon do you hate the most?

I would narrow it down to three.

The Hybrid story arc: I HATED that Moffat changed the characters entire motivation which was simple, but suited him. Basically the Doctor wanted to explore, but he has such a strong sense of morals he has to get involved when he sees something wrong.

However now its because he was scared of a prophecy that he never mentioned for 20000 years? Also why didn't he try and do anything about it? Since when does the Doctor flee? Look at Sutekh. You couldn't get scarier than that guy yet he didn't fuck off then?

The Master and the Doctors Relationship: Moffat ruined both characters with this shit IMO.

For some demented reason Moff and all of the New Who morons think that the Master and the Doctor were always friends. They always say "Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado loved each other so it makes sense." No they were meant to have been friends years ago sure, but that's the point their friendship had come to an end.

Its fucking moronic that they would still want to be friends after all the times they tried to kill each other. Also it undermines the Doctors morality. What the Doctor still wants to be friends with someone who butchers innocent fan girls like Osgood, slices up old women like that woman from Torchwood, and beats his wife?

Also the Master seemed more threatening when the Doctor tried to kill him, but he still managed to slip away like in The Mind of Evil. Now however the Doctor SAVES him/her from other people.

TBH you can only get away with a villain and a hero still being friends if you make it consistent, and have the villain be at least a bit sympathetic. Like Magneto and Professor X. Magneto might be a murderer, but at least there is a reason for what he does. He is trying to help his people, and he never kills unless he has too. He doesn't just butcher young fangirls cause he wants to pop a balloon or some bullshit.

If they wanted to give the Doctor a time lord friend, or love interest bring back fucking Romana! Is there anyone who is a fan of classic who that would honestly think watching it that the Master was meant, even before he went evil to have been a better friend to the Doctor than Romana? Its fucking retarded to act as though he is.

The gender bending crap: You all know why I hate it, so I won't go into it again.

Well that's my bottom 3, but what are your axes to grind with the ultimate self loathing fanboy.

2Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 11th September 2017, 9:56 pm

iank

iank

Let's not even mention the idea they were childhood friends is complete bollocks given the 1st Doctor has no fucking clue who he is in Five Doctors (and that was written by Dicks, who fricking created the Master with Letts. I think he rather supercedes fucking Mofftwat...)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 12th September 2017, 2:23 pm

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

He does reply that they were at school together, and he is in a stolen body when Hurtnell sees him, so its quite possible that he simply didn't recognise him.

For me, its the fact Davros met the doctor as a child, and even had a sonic screwdriver all that time, but had no idea who he was in genusis.

4Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 12th September 2017, 3:43 pm

Defeatment

Most annoying one was the breaks left on the TARDIS. Became immune and glazed over wearily to the other things mentioned so far.

5Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 12th September 2017, 4:36 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Who didn't always make narrative sense in the old days either.

It's hard to claim Genesis is an anchor-point for continuity when it schtups the fuck out of the original Dalek time line.

6Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 12th September 2017, 8:05 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

For me, the worst retcon was the Doctor's reason for leaving Gallifrey in Hell Bent.

7Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 14th September 2017, 8:41 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Gender bending Time Lords is undoubtedly THE one which has done it for me.

When tabloid journalist scum can pressure the canon of a programme with their constant inane braying bullshit, time to call it quits.

Other ones which have very nearly almost seen me bail out before now were: Shoe horned in incarnations like John Hurt, stupidest idea ever. Also, Clara rewriting the whole origins was also an incredibly unnecessary kick to the teeth for long term viewers.

I know Holmes/Hinchcliffe often retconned with "Genesis" and "Deadly Assassin", but at least they did it for a reason or to self-improve the subject matter, but NuWho does it purely because of a frustrated self-loathing of the Classic Series because they are unnecessary and don't actually add anything to the canon or lore.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

8Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 14th September 2017, 11:55 am

Zarius

Zarius

Claras...Clars everywhere, being the one pulling the strings in every moment of the Doctor's lives

9Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 14th September 2017, 3:32 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Zarius wrote:Claras...Clars everywhere, being the one pulling the strings in every moment of the Doctor's lives

I think this has roots in Davies' assertion that the companion (formally assistant) should be core to the narrative and carry an equal weighting to the Doctor.

It's utter crap though. You can make a companion 'valuable' to the Doctor, but the very notion that spunky teens, bored office workers and plucky teachers are somehow on a par with a being from an ancient Type IV civilization, is entirely moronic and utterly irredeemable narratively.

The Doctor's agency in the show was being ground away well before the multi-ball Clara narrative, but Moffat's desire to impress people in the industry and, let's face it, his own vanity, led to him upping the ante to ridiculous levels.

The Doctor has been robbed of his power to change situations, and his presence and authority has been completely undermined.

A fallible Doctor is a desirable thing indeed. I liked the feeling unease and realism it added to the Davison era, for example. But to grind down his authority to the point where his entire existence is owed to others and expecting said others to take unethical risks to save him, is totally at odds with the original established character.

As far as JW fits into this, it's tempting to speculate that the diversity-acolytes in the Beeb might just allow the character to take her gloves off a bit and re-assert his/herself as a powerful character who can effect change without the need of the help of someone who works in Primark.

Obviously, there is a distinct discomfort among the deludoids in the TV industry about strong, assertive male characters, and the fact that Whittaker has a front bottom means they can push their political hypocrisy by giving the character maximum agency. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the male companion suffers from 'male advert syndrome' i.e. the affliction where male characters are so stupid you suspect they probably can't take a shit and read at the same time.

10Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 14th September 2017, 10:04 pm

iank

iank

Dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

11Worst Moffat Retcon Empty Re: Worst Moffat Retcon 15th September 2017, 6:27 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

iank wrote:Dead on.

Yes, I've been saying that for years. New Doctor Who is thoroughly anti men these days.

Is there any reason other than wanting to take roles away from men to actually make the Master and the Doctor women?

I can understand wanting to have stronger female characters in Doctor Who. I don't think it matters TBH, as I don't think representation matters one bit in the modern world, and there are plenty of strong roles for women in Doctor Who already.

However if you really, really want there to be time lady characters then okay great go for it, but that's the point there are already 4 time lady characters set up, Romana, Jenny, Susan and The Rani, so why not at least try and do something new with them? And don't give me the shit of "no one knows them" because why the fuck did they use the Great Intelligence and the Macra, and the Ice Warriors, and the Silurians?

The new who team could have had the perfect compromise for their entire audience. They could have still had the Doctor and the Master be the characters they always were as men and given these people a Romana spin off, and beefed the Rani up to being a big villain like they did with the Great Intelligence.

But that way they wouldn't be able to take roles away from men and that's what the new who team want, simply because they are pandering to a group of nasty, "right on" bullies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum