You are not connected. Please login or register

What would your alternate sequel look like?

+4
Tanmann
Genkimonk
Boofer
ClockworkOcean
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What would your alternate sequel look like? Empty What would your alternate sequel look like? 25th October 2019, 2:59 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

You've been asked to write and produce an alternate sequel to Doctor Who. NuWho has been officially wiped from canon, and you'll be responsible for creating the long-awaited Season 27, taking place after either Survival or the TV Movie, depending on your preference. The only condition is that you'll have to start with a new Doctor, so no McCoy or McGann, I'm afraid.

1) What would your new 8th or 9th Doctor be like? Who would you cast, and how would he be characterised?
2) What sort of companion(s) would you cast? What character dynamic would you aim to create?
3) What format would the show take? Serials? Single episodes? A mixture of both?
4) What sort of tone would you aim for? Would you emphasise gothic horror, hard sci-fi, comedy...?
5) Would you be keen to bring back classic villains or would you rather focus on creating new ones?
6) What sort of incidental music would you use?
7) What would your TARDIS interior look like?
8) Are there any aspects of NuWho you'd choose to retain?
9) Any other comments you may have.

Boofer

Boofer

1) What would your new 8th or 9th Doctor be like? Who would you cast, and how would he be characterised?

I'd cast someone mature with proper acting chops...maybe Jared Harris.

My Doctor would be hard to pin down. Ebullient one minute, and brooding the next. He'd have that lovable uncle feel to him Tom used to have, as if he's carrying you on the journey with him, rather than focussing the audience's gaze through the experiences of the companion.

He'd refrain from acting like a God and be more modest about his abilities; facing more conundrums and difficult choices. He would be a self-reflective character - without dwelling for too long. We don't need an angst-y Doctor, but just enough introspection to give him some fully-fleshed fallibility.

My Doctor would also be capable of great kindness and generosity. He'd be a fully fledged interventionist when the moral case was overwhelming for it. His 'meddling' would also have some unintended consequences - either local or in the wider cosmos. Sometimes he would plug one leak, only to cause others down the line.

He's wouldn't be the type of Doctor to hang around for victory parades; he would slip off quietly back to the TARDIS just to avoid being lauded.

2) What sort of companion(s) would you cast? What character dynamic would you aim to create?

One female companion. Indubitably beautiful with a cracking arse.

She'd have the human touch; a contra-point to the sometimes alienness of the Doctor; a moral checkpoint for when the Doctor becomes too rational to see the emotional and social impacts of his interventions. She would also provide occasional common sense solutions, like a human Occam's razor when the Doctor is overthinking a situation.

She'd be warm, tactile, and display openness to new experiences. Not with gushingly stupid enthusiasm, but intrigue, curiosity and a stout heart.

3) What format would the show take? Serials? Single episodes? A mixture of both?

A selection of 45 minute, mainly 2 parters, but with the occassional self-contained story. I don't think you can get away from the realities of modern TV with this one. Plus, the 25 minute thing just means a bunch of stupid cliffhangers to write into fluid action and drama. One cliffhanger per story is fine, but you don't want to get to the stage where the Doctor repeatedly goes wide-eyed and says 'look!' (cue cliffhanger scream).

4) What sort of tone would you aim for? Would you emphasise gothic horror, hard sci-fi, comedy...?

I wouldn't entrench the show in one style. Tone is a little different. The show would take itself seriously again. There would be little in the way of self-referential humour, datable cultural references or intertextuality.

Canon references would be kept to a minimum in order to give the show a fresher feel. The show would feel like a proper drama again instead of a melodrama. It would be the sort of eye-glue that grips kids and parents alike, without teetering on the bridge of becoming bathetic.

Humour would be saved for the opening scenes and denouements, so as not to despoil serious moments. I'd avoid the use of bodily function/sex jokes, or scenes that amounted to extravasate gurning. Sharp one-liners, mild-teasing, and the sarcastic shooting down of obviously stupid people or ideas would be the order of the day.

5) Would you be keen to bring back classic villains or would you rather focus on creating new ones?

I'd avoid classic villains for the first season, or do a big reveal at the end of it. The latter would tie into the series meta-narrative.

I'd completely avoid bringing back obscure fan favourites. No Chumblies or Quarks in my Who!

Any returning villain would need their sense of threat re-established. The Doctor would refrain from casually mocking his enemies and make the audience believe they were a threat. The jeopardy would be dialled up to 11, and the resolutions would be bold enough to match the threats. No big red buttons or resets. Consequences, always consequences. Bad or good.

Depending on production costs, it would also be nice to get away from the Trek-like humanoid iterations of monsters. My baddies would take new forms based-upon the environments they evolved in and evince new forms of communication other than telepathy and/or speech.

Probably a return to minimalistic, creepy soundtracks and absolutely NO FUCKING BRASS WHATSOEVER. I'd like to see competent, highly creative musicians brought in, like Hildur Guðnadóttir of Joker (film) and Chernobyl fame. Maybe even reform the radiophonic workshop and give air to something experimental once in a while.

Probably like a larger version of the secondary console room. The scanner would return, as would the internal doors. Lighting would be warm. The overall feel would be night-time hygge; warm, ancient, and yet replete with technology. There'd probably be loads of opened books, half-completed projects and a mouldy cup of Vagorian beverage on the edge of the console too.

Cool Are there any aspects of NuWho you'd choose to retain?

The 45 minute format. Maybe the Dalek design, but in gunmetal or other known, classic Dalek liveries.

My theme would be an authentic homage to the original theme, keeping many of the original sounds. The titles would be zero CGI. Someone would have to come up with some proper never-seen-before practical, creative effects.

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I would make them a character clearly out of time, but in a natural way. Kind of like how the Doctor never really knew how to use money. Little things like that that show the alien nature of the character. I would also make him asexual, as I really hate the lovey-dovey BS. Finally, I would make him dabble in some real science. Sure, there will be some fake stuff too, but I'd follow Kit Peddler's example of making it based in the real stuff.
For personality, I'd like to go for someone who is maybe less confident. Perhaps someone who feels the pressure of living up to his past selves accomplishments.

I'd prefer a male companion since we seldom get one. I'd love the idea of someone from the past trying to fit in the modern times. I hate it when it's the reverse as it always feels poorly done. I'd aim for a teacher/student vibe like Joe and the third doctor.

1 story, 3 episodes, 45 minutes each. I'd prefer the old format anyday, but the industry wouldn't allow it. I'd probably go for a series of 4 stories. I'd probably ditch arcs for the first few seasons. I want the fun to be in the adventure now, not what is to come.

I'd go for a vibe similar to Pertwee's first, and Tom's first two. I want SF but steeped in realism. And I want the tone to be consistent. One of the biggest failings of New Who is that at one minute the universe feels real, and the next like that out of a Saturday morning cartoon show. I would make sure that the tone is set, and all stories stick to that tone.

Classic monsters for sure. But I'd really love to bring back the Kaleds. I would love a faction of Kaleds to see what happened to them and to work together with the Thals to try and stop it. I always felt Kaled society is something that should have been explored more.

Delia Derbyshire (sp?) style. Especially 2nd and 3rd doctor (series 1) style.

A cross between McGanns gothic style, and the style shown for Doctor Who night.

I view nothing of value in NuWho. I view it as the lowest common denominator in TV, and something only the truly ignorant in British society can enjoy. So no, nothing.

I would likely make subtle jokes at the expense of Nu Who story lines. For example:

Companion: But, they believe in you. Surely you can do something?
Doctor: What? You think if enough people simply believe in me, I can suddenly get God like powers and get us out of this mess? Be serious!"

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mine would be a new 5th Doctor really, as I would prefer to scrap the JNT era from canon too and just pick up from the show's Tom Baker era prime. If I had to provide an in-fiction reason why, I would probably have to set my sequel right after Castrovalva and reveal Davison's Doctor never actually escaped the Master's illusion, until now. Perhaps ending the first story with a final showdown with the Master, which causes the aged Davison Doctor to regenerate.

The new Doctor would probably be an amalgam of the Sixth and Eighth Doctors. Principally they would be like Eight, but have more of an angry ruthless streak. They would try diplomacy when appropriate to save the maximum lives, but have none of the idiotic pacifism of Davison, Tennant or Whittaker.

Short of recasting Capaldi, which is probably not an option, I would probably go with Anthony Stewart Head for the part.

I thought it might be interesting to pair the Doctor with one of the Sisters of Karn. It's be nice to have a companion who is alien, and who is a bit more of a spiritualist, and has useful telepathic/telekinetic abilities to draw on, but has to be taught by the Doctor away from the more cultish, ruthless practices of the Sisterhood. I'm thinking ideally someone reminiscent of Judi Bowker or Ofra Haza at her prime. Probably the best casting choice would be Julie Cox from Dune. She wouldn't be opposed to the idea of romance if it became necessary to 'marry her off' but it would be a new, conflicted experience for her.

I might also cast Claudia Grant to play a new Susan, as it'd be nice to see her back

Single episodes rarely work, so I'll probably go for either serials or feature specials.

Hard sci-fi with emphasis on intergalactic war. It'd be pretty serious and show what the Dalek wars are like to live through, and that the Doctor's victories matter in the light of having seen worlds that weren't so lucky.

Apart from possibly being required to revive the Master for that pilot, to establish the new rules, I would not be keen to retain the character and would probably intend that pilot to be his final end. I would probably maintain a focus on the Daleks, Sontarans and Rutans (something we could do with seeing again), and maybe the Cybermen occasionally. Beyond that though I probably would be keener to focus on fresh new foes. Definitely no more Master, Silurian or Sea Devil stories. If I wanted to invoke the spirit of Hulke though I wouldn't be averse to revisiting the Draconians.

Very futuristic. With an emphasis on the video game scores of Skaven (who scored the Bejeweled games).

Probably return to the original look of the Hartnell Tardis.

It would be difficult after torching its canonicity, but the Psychic Paper was sometimes a useful corner-cutting device. I'd probably want to do more with it. Maybe the Weeping Angels. Maybe the Moment from Day of the Doctor.

No, I think that about covers it.

Doctor7

Probably have McCoy his doctor save a planet from destruction but gets fired upon by a dalek beam he then regenerates into a new eighth doctor who meets a new companion, on a forest planet more electronic sounding music ,theme

burrunjor

burrunjor

Well I have already started my own alternate sequel series. I had to take a break though because of my depression, but it will be starting up again next week.

The stories I am publishing on my blog are first drafts of course. After I've done the series I'll edit them all and post them to another site. Since I'm doing three series at the one time (which was a mistake in hindsight.) I'll have to adjust them properly later, probably at the end of the year. I'm currently on my own version of Scratchman.  

Still if we're talking about a proper sequel series, I've already written about what I'd do many times before to the point where I think I annoyed a lot of posters LOL. ( BeKind memorably trolled me by insulting the actors and actresses I suggested for the Doctor and companion LOL. )

Still since you ask, here is what I'd do.

My Doctor would be ruthless when he had to be. He'd have no quams about killing his enemies if there was no choice, and he'd be willing to use any weapons if need be. No stupid and hypocritical hatred of guns.

At the same time however I'd never have him be needlessly violent.

I'd also make him practical, level headed and mature, except when it came to getting his way. He'd be a bit childish that way, but overall he'd be a very rational character. No breaking down into tears, no Tennant style tantrums, and no not being able to cope with grief to the point where he goes insane and carries out genocide.

I'd also make him asexual. IMO romance gets in the way of the sci fi, and the character isn't a good fit for love stories anyway.

As for who I'd cast, I'd go for Julian Ritchings. He was great as Death in Supernatural. He was able to capture that characters age, wisdom and alien nature brilliantly. Plus he looks a bit like Hartnell too.

Here he is in action.

Are you really telling me he wouldn't be a great Doctor?

I'd try and have companions from all over the universe. A companion from the last race in the universe, when the stars are burning out, and who has lived a desperate life might be quite interesting.

As for who I'd cast, my first choice would be Dana Delornezo. She is one of my favourite actresses. She can do action, comedy and drama, and she really throws herself into roles.

I'd cast her primarily because she is such a good action heroine. I'd want a physical companion because I think she'd balance Julian's Doctor out really well, as his Doctor would obviously be less physical. Also I'd like to see an Ace or Leela type companion again which Dana could do brilliantly.

She's also such a sweetheart to her fans. She's become one of the most popular guests at conventions, and personally she was really nice to me when my uncle passed last year, sending me a supportive message online.

(She doesn't know me to be clear. I'd just posted about it on her insta after she'd lost her mother, as I could relate and she sent me a similar message of support.) She's an asset to any franchise.

I would produce the show on a streaming service, (which would allow for a bigger budget.) And release all the episodes of a season in a year.

That way we could return to the format of the original. Say have a season of 22 episodes split up into a few four parters and 1 6 parter.

I'd make it a scary, horror show. IMO after becoming so toothless with Jodie, it needs to get its reputation as a scary show back.

Absolutely. The Doctor has as good a rogues gallery as Batman! I'd use them fairly regularly, always treat them as legitimate threats, but try and do something new with them. Show intergalactic Dalek wars, the Master taking over a planet, show the Silurians in their own time having to deal with an alien threat, and explore the full horror of Cyber conversion in greater detail than ever before.

Low key, spooky music.

The original Hartnell look. The TARDIS should above all else look cozy IMO. Like a little house that looks nice to live in. Later versions were too sterile. Hartnell had clocks and chairs and food machines.

Yes. I'd set this version in an alternate universe to New Who. I'd do a story where Captain Jack crossed over into this universe and met the new Doctor. He'd get trapped there and pop up very sparingly, like once every Doctor.

I'd also have alternate versions of New Who characters like Martha as the head of UNIT, and alternate versions of the Weeping Angels.

Finally I'd do a big story, later once this version had been established, where the Daleks of both universes team up to destroy all of reality, (After which they'd then fight it out among each other to see who was supreme.)

Both Doctors would have to unite to stop them. We'd bring back one of the New Who Doctors for that, (probably Matt as he can age due to living to being an old man.) You'd have the new Daleks, and the RTD era Bronze Daleks, and two Davros'.

You'd also have the Shalka Doctor cross over in one story too, and even the Cushing Doctor. Link them all as one big multiverse, and then when this version ended, the next version could be set in another universe.

That way there would be no true sequel to classic Who. As they all take place in universes with similar histories, you could decide which if any was the same universe as Classic Who, or if Classic Who was just another universe. That way everything is connected, but Classic Who is safe from any sequel you don't like.

Everybody wins!

Yes I think that a Doctor Who Animated Series could also be really good, or failing that an adaptation of Doctor Omega.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Genkimonk wrote:I would likely make subtle jokes at the expense of Nu Who story lines. For example:

Companion: But, they believe in you. Surely you can do something?
Doctor: What? You think if enough people simply believe in me, I can suddenly get God like powers and get us out of this mess? Be serious!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'd love that. Also have the Master shoot a tv when Mary Poppins is on and say "I HATE THAT MOVIE!"

Also have the Doctor mention that he hates visiting Cardiff, Sheffield, and London. Big Grin

Finally we could have the Doctor see someone dressed like the Tenth Doctor and call him a hipster twat.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Cunnus Maximus wrote:One female companion. Indubitably beautiful with a cracking arse.

Please run this pitch by Claudia Boleyn (and sadly from the looks of things Channel Pup.) LOL LOL LOL

PS Dana Delorenzo has a nice arse. She is filthy and fine.

Cunnus Maximus wrote:Probably like a larger version of the secondary console room. The scanner would return, as would the internal doors. Lighting would be warm. The overall feel would be night-time hygge; warm, ancient, and yet replete with technology. There'd probably be loads of opened books, half-completed projects and a mouldy cup of Vagorian beverage on the edge of the console too.

I like that. I always think the TARDIS should be cozy like that, yet have a certain Jules Verne, Victorian era vibe to it. Its supposed to be his home remember, that's why I never liked the bare bones TARDIS from later Classic Who stories. He would obviously dress it up a bit.

REDACTED

1: I'm not sure who I would choose, but I would characterize him as being the right balance of competence without the Gary Sue godlike behaviour of the NS Doctor's but at the same time give him a vulnerability without the at times extremely fallible shortcomings of Davison. I would also add some of Tom's humor and aloofness and McCoy's manipulative side as well. Also he would be definitely asexual.

2: Again, I don't have a choice on who I would cast, but I would make her a likable, interesting three dimensional character who balances out the Doctor's alien side unlike the either unlikable. bland or Mary Sue NS companions who seem to dominate the Doctor himself. Also the obvious point of keeping her relationship with the Doctor asexual.

3: Serials. Give them a unique edge among other shows at the time

4: Keep the same as the original series which is at its core an adventure series with lashings of horror, action and comedy although I would try and add a darker edge to it at the same time.

5: I'd use the Daleks of course but not overuse them like the Moffat era, maybe once every couple of seasons. I would also try and keep to the Cybermen's original ethos without resorting to the dumbed down stomping robots they were from 2006 onwards. The Master would be a mix of Delegado's charm and Prat/Beevers edge and malevolence and with all three of them. I would use them scarcely and introduce some new monsters as well (Although I would be tempted to use the Weeping Angels)

6: Depending on the story. If it were a horror tale I would use little to no music albeit being atmospheric (Think of Bartok's music in the Web Of Fear) and also for some of the more odd stories, perhaps a return for the Radiophonic Workshop.

7: The 1983-89 console with the Season 14 background

8: Again, I would keep the Angels and perhaps the Sonic Screwdriver design of the RTD era (although that would come in much later) and maybe as Cunnus stated, the Dalek design albeit with classic colour schemes.

9: Yeah, can I fuck off down the pub now?

Joking aside, my logo would be a neon take on the  1974-79 diamond logo and the theme would perhaps be a combination of the Derbyshire and Howell themes

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 25th October 2019, 10:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

iank

iank

Old school middle aged Doctor, hot young companion, a series of serials, a good mix of all kinds of stories, new monsters (maybe one old one per season at most), oldschool white TARDIS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum