Favourite Sequel Stories

+4
Rawkuss
stengos
Tanmann
REDACTED
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Favourite Sequel Stories 10th October 2019, 12:14 pm

REDACTED

Which sequel story in your opinion, beats out its predecessor?

2Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 10th October 2019, 3:53 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Moonbase, maybe.
Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

Sometimes I think Snakedance does, other times I think it's based on a shaky contrivance forcing it all to happen again, and explains too much of its predecessors' imponderables to the point the intrigue is lost.

3Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 10th October 2019, 9:58 pm

iank

iank

I'd actually go with all of those three.
Attack is a semi-sequel to Resurrection via Lytton, and definitely superior.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 11th October 2019, 8:05 pm

stengos

stengos

Wot Tanmann said - Moonbase relative to Tenth Planet.

5Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 12th October 2019, 3:16 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

The Daleks Invasion of Earth Cushing film over the Daleks with Cushing, same with the TV serials

I quite like Terror of the Autons but not sure it beats spearhead quality wise

6Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 12th October 2019, 3:50 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

The Moonbase over The Tenth Planet
The Invasion over Web of Fear
Remembrance and Revelation of the Daleks over Resurrection of the Daleks
The Seeds of Death over The Ice Warriors
Planet of the Daleks over The Daleks
Snakedance over Kinda

7Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 12th October 2019, 10:47 pm

iank

iank

Completely disagree with Seeds and Planet being better than Daleks and TIW.
Just... no.

8Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 12th October 2019, 10:58 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Completely disagree with Seeds and Planet being better than Daleks and TIW.
Just... no.
Agreed, though the rest of Giraffe’s picks are basically spot on (bar Invasion being better than Web- I love both stories, but Web just edges it for me).

Last edited by Bernard Marx on 13th October 2019, 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total

9Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 12th October 2019, 11:09 pm

iank

iank

Yeah I agree with the others!

10Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 13th October 2019, 3:23 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

iank wrote:Completely disagree with Seeds and Planet being better than Daleks and TIW.
Just... no.

Seeds of Death may not be perfect, but I find that it has a great fast pace, the direction in Seeds is better than The Ice Warriors (big example being the Doctor running away from the Ice Warriors, and one scene with him in multiple mirrors), and some scenes are intense (only Troughton could make a cliffhanger about almost drowning from bubble foam nerve wracking). It's one of my favourite Troughton stories to be honest.

The Daleks is absolutely stupendous in Parts 1-4, but as soon as the Doctor protests that they've got to get the fluid link back in Skaro, the story drags so much. That, and maybe it's because I saw future Dalek stories before this, but I'm not a fan of how underpowered the Daleks are, despite how excellently they were portrayed in Parts 1 and 2. Planet of the Daleks may not have as many highs as the Daleks has, but I prefer how more consistent it is, with the highlights being the Doctor's grief for Jo's 'death' and Taron's character.

11Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 13th October 2019, 5:23 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Well said that man.
I think it’s pretty difficult to compare those two dalek stories. The Daleks is undoubtedly an outright classic for obvious reasons, but I enjoy Planet tremendously, both for the affection between Jo and the Doctor, and the scenes as mentioned above are just the right side of understated. Can you imagine how they’d be in NuWho? No, this is how classic who does this stuff best. It doesn’t have to be rammed down your throat to be effective.
I’ve never understood why some fans have criticised the Doctor’s anti-war sentiments as ‘preachy’. I don’t see why. Again, it’s delivered in an understated manner, and to me it’s exactly the sort of thing that the Doctor would say. And I’ve no doubt that if that scene done NuWho style, the Doctor would be shouting it from the rooftops.
Yes, I can see why many would see Planet as a plodder; but what it lacks in originality, it makes up for with some beautifully subtle scenes, off set with a comic style approach that invokes the Dalek Chronicles, and the ‘60s Dalek annuals.
And I agree about Seeds of Death being preferable to the Ice Warriors too.

12Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 13th October 2019, 5:29 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:Can you imagine how they’d be in NuWho? No, this is how classic who does this stuff best. It doesn’t have to be rammed down your throat to be effective.
I’ve never understood why some fans have criticised the Doctor’s anti-war sentiments as ‘preachy’. I don’t see why. Again, it’s delivered in an understated manner, and to me it’s exactly the sort of thing that the Doctor would say. And I’ve no doubt that if that scene done NuWho style, the Doctor would be shouting it from the rooftops.
Thoroughly agree with this. Though I prefer The Daleks, I’ve always found those scenes rather touching without ever bordering on mawkish or over-sentimental.

He’d be shouting it from the rooftops whilst also preaching about pacifism and boasting about being the “man who never would”, with a very loud orchestra cheering him on too. The understated Classic Who version suits the outsider and inherently alien nature of the Doctor more anyway, and thus comes across as more believable from a character perspective.

13Favourite Sequel Stories Empty Re: Favourite Sequel Stories 13th October 2019, 6:14 pm

Ludders

Ludders

And that in a nutshell is why I struggle so much with even the best that NuWho has to offer. Because even when they come up with a good story or a good idea, the in-house style always ruins it every time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum