You are not connected. Please login or register

Which is the dullest story of the original series?

+4
Bernard Marx
Tanmann
Pepsi Maxil
Ludders
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

After considering Ian’s recent sentiment on Logopolis being particularly dull (a sentiment I can’t say I really disagree with at all), which story of the classic series would you guys classify as the most yawn-inducing?

Ludders

Ludders

Logopolis is definitely one of the major contenders, but personally I'd say The Highlanders.
If it was rediscovered tomorrow, I'd weep for what might've been.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Anything that Ronnie likes.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Big Grin

Na, it's got to be Revenge of the Cybermen for me. Thank God it was only four parts long.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

A coin's toss for me between The Armageddon Factor and Arc of Infinity.

It could go either way.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve always found The Highlanders to be passable myself, albeit remarkably generic. Revenge is bloody dull, yes, as are Tanmann’s picks (though I don’t admit to really remembering much of Armageddon Factor- I might re-assess it eventually, though Arc Of Infinity is just crap).

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Terminus, or as I like to call it, Terminal Boredom.
To be honest, 66% of the Davison era is boring to sit through. Castrolava, Four to Doomsday, Arc of Infinity, King's Demons, Planet of Fire are all stories that I can't remember as soon as I finished watching them.
Sensorites, Celestial Toymaker, The Ark, the middle section of Evil of the Daleks, Space Pirates, both Peladon stories, Death to the Daleks, Krotons, Abominable Snowmen (doesn't help that there isn't any fucking music playing), Sontaran Experiment, Power of Kroll, Armageddon Factor, 80% of Season 17, Leisure Hive, Keeper of Traken, Mark of the Rani and Two Doctors are stories that I just phase out of whenever I attempt to watch them.

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:Terminus, or as I like to call it, Terminal Boredom.
To be honest, 66% of the Davison era is boring to sit through. Castrolava, Four to Doomsday, Arc of Infinity, King's Demons, Planet of Fire are all stories that I can't remember as soon as I finished watching them.
Sensorites, Celestial Toymaker, The Ark, the middle section of Evil of the Daleks, Space Pirates, both Peladon stories, Death to the Daleks,  Krotons, Abominable Snowmen (doesn't help that there isn't any fucking music playing), Sontaran Experiment, Power of Kroll, Armageddon Factor, 80% of Season 17, Leisure Hive, Keeper of Traken, Mark of the Rani and Two Doctors are stories that I just phase out of whenever I attempt to watch them.
I’m fairly certain I’m the only fan who thinks Terminus is OK. Smile
It’s not brilliant, but far from the worst, I’d say. Castrovalva’s first half is particularly dull, though I think it picks up a little by episode 3. The other Davison examples I completely agree with.

I think The Sensorites is rather underrated myself- it feels like an earlier version of The Silurians at times, even if it is rather overlong. There’s a certain maturity to the characterisation and atmosphere on display that is nary found in New Who, even if it does plod a little. I agree with the rest of your examples, barring Evil, some of the season 17 stories, Sontaran Experiment and The Two Doctors. I’ve not actually experienced any of Abominable Snowmen outside of episode 2, which looked tantalisingly atmospheric to me, if a little low key. Not sure if the rest of it is any good, mind. I think The Two Doctors is let down not so much due to being padded (it’s no more padded than many long classic stories, really, barring perhaps the first 15 minutes of episode 2), but more due to the uninspired and flat direction, which undermines what I’d consider to be a really rather good script with some great Holmes dialogue, and lends a rather staid feel to proceedings, though I still enjoy it overall in spite of that.

stengos

stengos

Masque of Mandragora probably.

Four to Doomesday aswell.

iank

iank

Gotta be Underworld, though Leisure Hive is close behind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

iank wrote:Gotta be Underworld, though Leisure Hive is close behind.
Forget every other story that I put on my list, Underworld takes the case for a story that can cure insomnia.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

'The King's Demons' or 'Mark of the Rani'. Not impressive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum