Rate “Human Nature” I_vote_lcap11%Rate “Human Nature” I_vote_rcap 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rate “Human Nature” Empty Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 5:51 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

My first poll in the last couple of weeks (I expect this will be satirised at some point)- I’ve made this one after and due to writing my own take on this story in another thread. This is regarded as a classic by many fans (and is even praised by quite a few classic fans), though it seems divisive on this forum. What do you guys think of it? I think I’ll go for piss poor myself.

2Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 6:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I went for average in the end.

At one time, diminished expectations from the worst of RTD's era made this seem comparatively a rare masterpiece to me.

Nowadays I could easily take or leave it.

3Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 6:06 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:I went for average in the end.

At one time, diminished expectations from the worst of RTD's era made this seem comparatively a rare masterpiece to me.

Nowadays I could easily take or leave it.
I can see why. The period setting does lend a richness to it compared to most other RTD stories. I’ve only recently realised how weak the actual script is, and how it fundamentally misunderstands the character of the Doctor (albeit not for the first or last time).

4Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 6:08 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I'll be the one to say it, I adore Human Nature/Family of Blood. I much prefer it to the version that it is based on, aka the Virgin New Adventures version. I think that the pre-World War 1 setting is dripping with atmosphere, the Scarecrows are legitimately creepy monsters, Harry Lloyd as Son of Mine is unnerving to watch because of how erratic he is and even though I prefer Curse of Fenric's handling of War, I found the allegories to it very moving, especially when the students are forced to murder the Scarecrows (not even knowing that they aren't actual people). Let's be fair, no matter how heavy-handed the themes may be, nothing will be as preachy, as stupid and as overly patriotic as Independence Day (God, I hate that movie so much). If it weren't for the likes of The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit or Midnight, this would easily be my favourite NewWho story, and is certainly the best thing that Paul Cornell has written (given how I find him such a mixed bag in terms of writing, it's not hard to find his best story).

5Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 6:44 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I like the Family of Blood two-parter. Yes, the editing is choppy and the portrayal of The Doctor is overly emotive but that isn't unique to this story. Good review though with some clever points.

6Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 6:58 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ll admit to being too harsh in places towards it in that review, perhaps. I think it’s a fundamentally poor script that takes the extra step in completely changing the character of the Doctor beyond recognition, but to be honest, it’s certainly more rich than shit like Last of the Time Lords, Journey’s End and The End Of Time. There are at least a few moments of well executed nuance and subtlety in it that I ignored (as pointed out by SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe), and prior to the ending (and if one ignore the appalling characterisation of the Doctor), it’s less inherently trashy than most RTD stories. I don’t rate it highly at all, and stand by what I said in my review on the whole, but I did dismiss some of the story’s merits.

7Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 7:10 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I still think it's pretty good. Definitely one of the better NuWho episodes.

8Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 7:24 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:nothing will be as preachy, as stupid and as overly patriotic as Independence Day (God, I hate that movie so much).

I can enjoy that film in the right mood.

9Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:21 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:nothing will be as preachy, as stupid and as overly patriotic as Independence Day (God, I hate that movie so much).

I have to agree there. That film is patronisingly patriotic bollocks.

10Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:22 pm

iank

iank

Complete shite, and boring as fuck to boot.
The single most overhyped New Poo trainwreck (and that's saying something).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

11Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I really like it. The writer is a total prick, though.

12Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:27 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Complete shite, and boring as fuck to boot.
The single most overhyped New Poo trainwreck (and that's saying something).
I’m not sure what I’d classify as the most overrated or overhyped. This is certainly a contender, though.

13Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:29 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Silence in the Library is the most over-hyped thing from the RTD era. Fuck Series 4.

14Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:45 pm

stengos

stengos

For now i think its fairly good.

I have only seen it once. It stood out compared to other stories in that season.

Burrunjours recent comments make me think i should revisit it though.

15Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 9th September 2019, 10:47 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

stengos wrote:For now i think its fairly good.

I have only seen it once. It stood out compared to other stories in that season.

Burrunjours recent comments make me think i should revisit it though.
That’s how I felt initially. Its myriad flaws become apparent over time and on re-watches, really.

16Rate “Human Nature” Empty Re: Rate “Human Nature” 10th September 2019, 12:19 am

iank

iank

I rather like Silence in the Library personally. It's certainly the best of 4. I don't think it's particularly hyped either - even at the time it was Midnight that got most of the hoopla.
Now that hasn't aged well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum