bryanbraddock
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rate New Who Series Empty Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 12:42 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Go

I'm going to say.

Series 5: Unquestionably the best of the New Who lot. Matt Smith is the greatest New Who Doctor in this series. Old Professorial, grandfatherly, and genuinely eccentric. He also isn't undermined for his companions and is more practical. Also Amy and Rory are great companions and I think the best stories from New Who can be found this year like Vincent and the Doctor and the Angels two parter.

Series 7: I don't get the hate for this one? Clara is a bit annoying (though she's better with Matt than Capaldi.) But I liked the variation in stories and the self contained nature of a lot of them. Also there are some great stories this year like Cold War and Richard E Grant is enjoyable as the GI.

Series 10: Now I was surprised to include a Capaldi series here, but on closer inspection yes, this was the best of not only his era, but better than any Tennant series.

Capaldi in this series was closer to the Doctor we know and love. He was a crazy old uncle figure to his companion. Also Nardole was a likable sidekick, and Bill was a great companion. No romantic crap between her and Capaldi allowed us to have a 7/Ace, 3/Jo, 4/Sarah type dynamic that I've missed from New Who.

Also the quality of the stories was better. The two part finale was in some ways one of the best Cybermen stories. The Missy crap let it down but other than that the Cybermen were at their best, with the Cyber conversion being absolutely horrifying. The "PAIN" bit is one of the most chilling moments in DW.

Even Missy was not as intolerable this series. I HATE her being the Master, but Gomez was given a chance to be less panto and annoying.

Its a shame this series got absolutely smashed in the ratings, but I put that down to the previous two being so terrible, and also the SJW crap which this series still suffered from like Capaldi's cringey anti Trump remarks.

Series 3: I liked this series a lot. The Last of the Time Lords and Human Nature let it down, but other than there are a lot of good episodes this series. Also Tennant is less annoying with Freema who is one of the best companions in all of DW, and Captain Jack's return is great. I liked the trio of Ten, Martha and Jack. A whole series with them would have been better than 3 with Clara!

Series 4: This has some of the best New Who episodes, but I do hate the Doctor/Donna arc, and Donna is the msot overrated companion in the history of the series.

The Specials: I don't get the hatred for these specials. Yes the End of Time is absolute shit. Still The Next Doctor is the best Christmas special, Planet of the Dead is a fun romp, and Waters of Mars is one of the best New Who episodes.

Series 6: The weakest Matt Smith series. It has his worst finale and episode, Lets kill Hitler, and it has too much River Song. Its only saved by Matt, Karen and Arthur and some strong episodes.

Series 2: Tennant and Rose's schmoopy act is insufferable, but there are some strong episodes.

Series 1: I don't get the love for this series? Its AWFUL. Eccelston pre Whittaker was the worst New Who Doctor. The soap opera crap is overwhelming, and it has some of the worst episodes like the Slitheen two parter, and its monsters are atrocious, from a trampoline woman, to farting monsters to magic time dragons, to fucking Anne Robinson and Trinny and Suzannah robots!

I like the Daleks and John Barrowman but that's about it.

Series 9: Some good stories, but overall this is really when New Who began to die. The Dalek two parter is awful, the hybrid story arc is garbage and Capaldi's Doctors at his worst here.

Series 8: Contains some of the worst episodes like the Moon egg, the trees saving the world, and the worst ever story Dark Water/Death in Heaven. Also Clara is at her absolute worst this year, and Danny Pink is a bland retread of Mickey and Rory.

Series 11: Do I need to explain this one? It isn't even a proper DW series.

2Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 12:57 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

What I saw of Series 5 was OK. The rest of it is dreck IMHO.

3Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 2:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Series 1: Rarely bad. It isn't completely up itself and it does have some really good stories. Parting of the Ways is still the best finale of Nuwho.

Series 3: I have good memories of watching this series. It's still pretty good despite a few dodgy ones, most notably the last episode.

Series 5: The best of the Moffat era. Smith and Gillan kick ass and the story arc is perhaps the most engaging of nuwho.

Series 2: Consistently OK until Idiot's Latern and then it gets progressively worse until a moderately enjoyable finale.

Series 10: Marginally better than Series 8 and 9 and leaps and bounds above the current drivel.

Series 7: Disappointing. I did like Matt and Jenna's chemistry, though.

Series 8: I like Capaldi and the episode "Listen", but there's a lot of bad stuff that still rub me up the wrong way. Death in Heaven alone ruins the series.

Series 4: I hated it at the time and I still do now. I rarely revisit this series anymore.

Series 9: Lousy stuff. They did a Trial of a Timelord on us and made Capaldi's character a complete pussy, completely lacking the mystery and menace he had in his first series.

Series 6: Absolutely horrible. It all went downhill with this poorly conceived and incoherent mess of a series.

The Specials: Nothing special about any of these turds.

Series 11: Awful

4Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 8:53 pm

iank

iank

Series 5 - Very enjoyable.
Series 3 - Tennant's best
Series 6 - Underrated. The arc is a bit shit but there are some great individual stories and the regulars are still great.
Series 1 - A solid enough return, though much has not aged well.
Series 4 - Lurches wildly between really good and really diabolical.
Series 10 - Capaldi's best, not that that's saying a lot.
Series 2 - The point where it started going wrong.
Series 7, 8 and 9 - Painful stuff.
Series 11 - Just taking the piss now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

5Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 9:16 pm

Zarius

Zarius

1. Series Five: This really was where New Who should have stopped and been rested for another 17 years really. It had the last truly high-stake thing you could do to the universe in it, the stories were solid and were engagingly complicated as opposed to frustratingly complicated. River was actually tolerable here, Amy and Rory's love story was considerably toned down. The only real stinker was "Victory of the Daleks". "Vincent and the Doctor" is loathed by my mum because it reminds her of my 2010 depression and mental deterioration, but I loved the pants off of it on first view and felt it spoke to me.

2. Series Four: 2008 was a great year for me personally due to the amount of quality telly on at the time (even professional wrestling was on-point that year) and this series was the best of RTD's efforts by far. The first half is weaker but still had cracking episodes like "Fires of Pompei" and perceived nadirs like "The Doctor's Daughter" are quite underrated. Finale is a bust (Daleks toppled by pulling levers? Seriously?), but boy did that faux regeneration had me guessing for ages. River has her first/last/finest appearance here too, with a story so well crafted it should have also been her only appearance, let her remain something you see in the distance, she is not something to mount...did that come out wrong?

3. Series Nine: Yes, I actually love this series. The return of the serial format, Clara not as in-your-face as she'd previously been, no cuck boyfriends injecting needless soap opera, a solid Christmas outing dragged down only by River but carried well by Capaldi, the best episode of the Capaldi era by large (Heaven Sent), Clara's excellent death, and a riveting Zygon thriller. Hell Bent is also pretty underlooked, as a character piece it works.

4. Series 3: Martha is so likeable, The Master reveal is perfection, Blink is a masterstroke, Human Nature/Family of Blood is good but not great, Lazarus Experiment continues to prove Gatiss is better on screen than behind the scenes (and the times) as a writer.

5. Series 1: Ok, it's aged like milk, and the reason the show is largely decaying is because it hasn't really broken the Buffy formula, but back then this was an adequete means of getting the "not wes" to watch. Eccelston is solid as a brooding war-wounded distant Doctor. Rose is selfish, temperamental and displays a fire she would lack in later appearances, and the Daleks are at their most dangerous here

6. Series Six: Half of it is excellent and provides us with some of the most riveting and ambitious Doctor Who put to tv, another is a majorly convoluted and a stupid man's idea of what smart writing looks like. Also, River? Get the hell off my telly.

7. Series Eleven: Yes, I actually did enjoy the "most watched" but most critiqued series so far, mainly for how great Bradley Walsh is, and at least four of the stories would be perfectly serviceable Doctor Who without a lot of the political pandering. Everything else is low on the totem pole.

8.  Series Ten: I will never understand the love for this one personally...Bill was boring and reminded you constantly she was gay. Capaldi is the best throughout but is served by lousy scripts that push forward lefitst wank. The Monk trilogy starts promisingly but deteriorates, the Cybermen Master and Missy led finale is the season's saving grace but it's really not up to much.

9. Series 7: Four episodes in the first half are fine (save for Dinosaurs) and two episodes of the second half are good (Bells and Crimson) but this is another tired and dull effort

10. Series 8: The nadir of Moffat and my DW viewing experiance. Story about storing the dead in a data cloud goes nowhere, Clark is the absolute worst, Danny is a cuck, The Doctor is the companion's wet nurse. Listen comes too early and the brilliant Mummy and Flatline comes too late.

11. Series Two: Oh my, what happened here? When RTD has an off day, he should never try for several in a row. Tooth and Claw, School Reunion, Girl In The Fireplace and Satan Pit save it but overall this feels like a string of Disney Channel sitcoms than a genuine sci-fi yarn.

Specials: Water of Mars is a stone-cold classic, End of Time is underlooked if rather undercooked, Next Doctor is pretty compelling if a bit over the top with the Cyber Megazord. Day of the Doctor is Nu Who's unofficial series finale.

6Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 20th December 2018, 10:52 pm

Bill

Series:
1. Fresh and self-contained.
2. Saccharine and a bit sickly.
3. Pleasing.
4. Surprising (in a simultaneously good and bad way).
5. Fresh – but a bit dull at times.
6. Unnecessarily convoluted. Sometimes good.
7. Unnecessary and tired.
8. Interesting new direction – but pussified.
9. Embarrassing.
10. Forgettable and unambitious.
11. Lazy and mean spirited.

7Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 1st February 2019, 9:01 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

TL;DR:
- Ambivalent to mildly irritated by the early RTD era
- Interest began to grow with Series 4
- Greatly enjoyed the early Moffat era
- Interest declined with Series 7
- Somewhat perked up with Series 8
- Critically wounded with Series 9
- Irreparably destroyed with Series 11

Series 1: It's far too focused on pandering to the mainstream EastEnders crowd, there's nowhere near enough of a focus on exploration, the cheesy attempts at humour mostly fall flat, and it badly mischaracterises the Doctor, but it's still better than its two immediate successors. Rose was considerably less obnoxious before the romance arc, and the emphasis on sci-fi ideas is head and shoulders above Series 2. 'Dalek' and 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances' are the obvious highlights. The only time the Daleks have ever been handled reasonably well in NuWho.

Series 2: Easily the worst of the RTD era. Turning such a well-established asexual grandfather figure into an endlessly flirtatious womaniser was a dick move. The Tennant/Rose romance aimed squarely at capturing the horny teenage girl audience was an unwelcome development. It featured some of the most simplistic and insubstantial storytelling the show has ever seen. Turning the Cybermen into Daleks on legs was a stupid idea. The 'Love & Monsters/Fear Her' double bill was a new low. 'The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit' is the only story of interest to the Classic Who fan. Next.

Series 3: Slightly better. Less self-indulgent soap opera crap, slightly less domestic stuff, a little more sci-fi focus and a more likeable companion. The first half feels pretty uninspired. 'Blink' is the only truly great story. Fuck the finale for teasing us with the prospect of a Jacobi Master before giving us Simm. Fuck RTD for letting Chibnall anywhere near this franchise.

Series 4: By far the most consistent of the RTD era. There's still a lot of guff, but a higher proportion of strong stories than in previous years, a greater emphasis on conceptual sci-fi, and a welcome return to a purely platonic Doctor/companion relationship. The winning streak from 'Silence in the Library' to 'Turn Left' was the most consistent NuWho had been up to this point. The finale was highly flawed in so many ways, but Julian Bleach's performance as Davros was excellent. As for the 2009 specials, only 'The Waters of Mars' is of merit. Bernard Cribbins was the only good thing about the obnoxiously self-indulgent 'End of Time'.

Series 5: Without a doubt the pinnacle of the revival and the closest it came to recapturing the glory of TruWho. Smith & Moffat restored the Doctor to an ancient, unearthly, whimsical, professorial boffin who explored the universe with a sense of childlike wonder. The soap opera domestic shit was significantly reduced, 'The Eleventh Hour' wipes the floor with any other modern Doctor debut, the Angel two-parter was great (I can overlook the inconsistencies), the Dream Lord was a fantastic villain, the time cracks mystery was compelling, and the historicals were actually enjoyable for a change. I didn't like James Corden, Chibnall's Titlurians (though it's his by far his best story simply because of how derivative it is), or the Power Ranger Daleks, but everything else was solid. In spite of everything that's happened since, I still have a great deal of affection for this era.

Series 6: Still pretty good. It's retroactively damaged by the rushed and unsatisfactory conclusion to the Silence arc, and definitely has a few more duds than Series 5, but it still represents NuWho at its most creatively unbound and unapologetic about being a science fiction show, not to mention the last ever glimpse of an uncucked Moffat before he started letting the BBC bigwigs and toxic elements of fandom call the shots. The opening two-parter introduced an excellent new villain in the Silents; I loved the setting and celebration of classic American pulp sci-fi tropes. 'The Doctor's Wife', 'The Girl Who Waited' and 'The God Complex' are three examples of NuWho at its best - tight, well-constructed sci-fi mysteries with a good dose of horror. 'A Good Man Goes to War' and 'The Wedding of River Song' are a little too style-over-substance, but I'll take them over London-based domestic soap tedium anyday.

Series 7A: Disappointing. The beginning of Moffat's excruciatingly long fall from grace. There had been a massive backlash against Series 6 from RTD fanboys who didn't like having to think about what they were watching. Whether due to BBC pressure or his own insecurity, Moffat responded to this by suddenly abandoning the past two years of build-up, leaving his own fans in limbo and focusing on a series of markedly less interesting standalone episodes. Matt, Karen & Arthur helped to retain some of the charm, but the sense of magic and inspiration of the first two years was gone. 'Asylum' began a trend of poor Moffat Dalek stories that made them look incredibly stupid and ineffectual. Chibnall was brought in to write some bland, domestic RTD imitation crap. Whithouse's wild west story was okay. The Angels Take Manhattan was jumbled and incoherent. Not the worst series by any means, but notably the first to feature no real standouts. The beginning of the Moffat era's decline.

Series 7B:The stories were marginally more entertaining. Clara's character was ill-defined. Not a bad series but again, largely forgettable. No must-see episodes here. I don't have anything more to say about the actual series. 'Day of the Doctor' had its merits, but certainly wasn't what the 50th anniversary special should have been. 'Time of the Doctor' was a rushed and tonally inconsistent end to an era that deserved better. Smith's performance was great, but the anticlimactic end to the Silence arc was like a massive slap in the face.

Series 8: I was instantly hooked by Capaldi's performance and loved the dark, morally ambiguous take on the character, but I was increasingly frustrated by the frequently mediocre stories and wondered why such a compelling character was constantly being side-lined in favour of a tedious MOR romcom about two fucking schoolteachers. I had only just become aware of the SJW craze and had no idea how pervasive it was becoming. While a few things did stick out (Missy being the biggest red flag), I initially dismissed my concern as paranoia. I still love 'Mummy on the Orient Express', but that's about it story-wise. In retrospect, the original iteration of Capaldi's Doctor was the only thing keeping me invested, and that was all about to change...

Series 9: This was the straw that broke the camel's back, for numerous reasons. The Doctor I found so compelling the previous year was gone. Moffat had sold out to the Tennant fangirls and drastically watered down his character. I was excited about the return to multi-part stories and foolishly hoped the show would begin to more closely resemble Classic Who. Instead, it became more vacuous than ever before, full of 45-minute stories lazily padded out to double-length with pointless filler and embarrassing empty spectacle. 'Under the Lake/Before the Flood' was the only one that actually justified its length. The SJW propaganda was now too prominent to ignore. The frequent anti-male snipes, the Doctor's general weakness, the fact that there were suddenly no high-ranking men whatsoever in UNIT, replaced by flawless female commanders berating their gullible, idiotic white male canon fodder, and the removal of all significant male Time Lords including a gender swap regeneration. 'Heaven Sent' was a tragically brief return to form, a maddening glimpse of how great the Capaldi era could've been if Moffat weren't such a status-obsessed, insecure weakling. I didn't actually see it until last year because I lost interest after part one of that dreadful Zygon story. Hell Bent squandered the return of Gallifrey and was largely an exercise in anti-male posturing. Moffat's bizarre need to kick just about every sacred cow imaginable felt incredibly cheap and showcases his grotesque egotism at its worst.

Series 10: A definite improvement, but still not very good. A fair chunk of the stories were at least rooted in decent sci-fi concepts, and he'd thankfully stopped padding out stories into hollow two-parters. The aging rocker shtick was toned down and the Doctor was written with a little more care. Bill was a more likeable character than Clara, but the millennial pandering and SJW quips pissed me off. Even Missy was handled a little better here, even though she was still nothing like The Master, a character who should NEVER have been given this sort of redemption arc. There were a few too many forgettable filler episodes. Twice Upon a Time's treatment of Hartnell's Doctor was fucking disgusting, and if I still considered NuWho canon (I don't), The Doctor Falls would be where I'd end it.

Series 11: Pure, unadulterated, worthless shite without so much as a single redeeming quality, other than that it was the final nail in the coffin of what little naïve hope I still had that NuWho could ever evolve into the show it always should have been, giving me the perfect excuse to finally expunge it from my headcanon and purify my perception of the legacy.

8Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 1st February 2019, 9:34 am

iank

iank

It really does pain me to think what happened, because 5 and 6 really were so, so close to getting the modern show to what I wanted it to be, with a Doctor and companions I unequivocally really enjoyed (and still do), only to see Moffat apparently just give up and send it all crashing down. Painful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

9Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 1st February 2019, 10:34 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:TL;DR:
- Ambivalent to mildly irritated by the early RTD era
- Interest began to grow with Series 4
- Greatly enjoyed the early Moffat era
- Interest declined with Series 7
- Somewhat perked up with Series 8
- Critically wounded with Series 9
- Irreparably destroyed with Series 11

Series 1: It's far too focused on pandering to the mainstream EastEnders crowd, there's nowhere near enough of a focus on exploration, the cheesy attempts at humour mostly fall flat, and it badly mischaracterises the Doctor, but it's still better than its two immediate successors. Rose was considerably less obnoxious before the romance arc, and the emphasis on sci-fi ideas is head and shoulders above Series 2. 'Dalek' and 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances' are the obvious highlights. The only time the Daleks have ever been handled reasonably well in NuWho.

Series 2: Easily the worst of the RTD era. Turning such a well-established asexual grandfather figure into an endlessly flirtatious womaniser was a dick move. The Tennant/Rose romance aimed squarely at capturing the horny teenage girl audience was an unwelcome development. It featured some of the most simplistic and insubstantial storytelling the show has ever seen. Turning the Cybermen into Daleks on legs was a stupid idea. The 'Love & Monsters/Fear Her' double bill was a new low. 'The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit' is the only story of interest to the Classic Who fan. Next.

Series 3: Slightly better. Less self-indulgent soap opera crap, slightly less domestic stuff, a little more sci-fi focus and a more likeable companion. The first half feels pretty uninspired. 'Blink' is the only truly great story. Fuck the finale for teasing us with the prospect of a Jacobi Master before giving us Simm. Fuck RTD for letting Chibnall anywhere near this franchise.

Series 4: By far the most consistent of the RTD era. There's still a lot of guff, but a higher proportion of strong stories than in previous years, a greater emphasis on conceptual sci-fi, and a welcome return to a purely platonic Doctor/companion relationship. The winning streak from 'Silence in the Library' to 'Turn Left' was the most consistent NuWho had been up to this point. The finale was highly flawed in so many ways, but Julian Bleach's performance as Davros was excellent. As for the 2009 specials, only 'The Waters of Mars' is of merit. Bernard Cribbins was the only good thing about the obnoxiously self-indulgent 'End of Time'.

Series 5: Without a doubt the pinnacle of the revival and the closest it came to recapturing the glory of TruWho. Smith & Moffat restored the Doctor to an ancient, unearthly, whimsical, professorial boffin who explored the universe with a sense of childlike wonder. The soap opera domestic shit was significantly reduced, 'The Eleventh Hour' wipes the floor with any other modern Doctor debut, the Angel two-parter was great (I can overlook the inconsistencies), the Dream Lord was a fantastic villain, the time cracks mystery was compelling, and the historicals were actually enjoyable for a change. I didn't like James Corden, Chibnall's Titlurians (though it's his by far his best story simply because of how derivative it is), or the Power Ranger Daleks, but everything else was solid. In spite of everything that's happened since, I still have a great deal of affection for this era.

Series 6: Still pretty good. It's retroactively damaged by the rushed and unsatisfactory conclusion to the Silence arc, and definitely has a few more duds than Series 5, but it still represents NuWho at its most creatively unbound and unapologetic about being a science fiction show, not to mention the last ever glimpse of an uncucked Moffat before he started letting the BBC bigwigs and toxic elements of fandom call the shots. The opening two-parter introduced an excellent new villain in the Silents; I loved the setting and celebration of classic American pulp sci-fi tropes. 'The Doctor's Wife', 'The Girl Who Waited' and 'The God Complex' are three examples of NuWho at its best - tight, well-constructed sci-fi mysteries with a good dose of horror. 'A Good Man Goes to War' and 'The Wedding of River Song' are a little too style-over-substance, but I'll take them over London-based domestic soap tedium anyday.

Series 7A: Disappointing. The beginning of Moffat's excruciatingly long fall from grace. There had been a massive backlash against Series 6 from RTD fanboys who didn't like having to think about what they were watching. Whether due to BBC pressure or his own insecurity, Moffat responded to this by suddenly abandoning the past two years of build-up, leaving his own fans in limbo and focusing on a series of markedly less interesting standalone episodes. Matt, Karen & Arthur helped to retain some of the charm, but the sense of magic and inspiration of the first two years was gone. 'Asylum' began a trend of poor Moffat Dalek stories that made them look incredibly stupid and ineffectual. Chibnall was brought in to write some bland, domestic RTD imitation crap. Whithouse's wild west story was okay. The Angels Take Manhattan was jumbled and incoherent. Not the worst series by any means, but notably the first to feature no real standouts. The beginning of the Moffat era's decline.

Series 7B:The stories were marginally more entertaining. Clara's character was ill-defined. Not a bad series but again, largely forgettable. No must-see episodes here. I don't have anything more to say about the actual series. 'Day of the Doctor' had its merits, but certainly wasn't what the 50th anniversary special should have been. 'Time of the Doctor' was a rushed and tonally inconsistent end to an era that deserved better. Smith's performance was great, but the anticlimactic end to the Silence arc was like a massive slap in the face.

Series 8: I was instantly hooked by Capaldi's performance and loved the dark, morally ambiguous take on the character, but I was increasingly frustrated by the frequently mediocre stories and wondered why such a compelling character was constantly being side-lined in favour of a tedious MOR romcom about two fucking schoolteachers. I had only just become aware of the SJW craze and had no idea how pervasive it was becoming. While a few things did stick out (Missy being the biggest red flag), I initially dismissed my concern as paranoia. I still love 'Mummy on the Orient Express', but that's about it story-wise. In retrospect, the original iteration of Capaldi's Doctor was the only thing keeping me invested, and that was all about to change...

Series 9: This was the straw that broke the camel's back, for numerous reasons. The Doctor I found so compelling the previous year was gone. Moffat had sold out to the Tennant fangirls and drastically watered down his character. I was excited about the return to multi-part stories and foolishly hoped the show would begin to more closely resemble Classic Who. Instead, it became more vacuous than ever before, full of 45-minute stories lazily padded out to double-length with pointless filler and embarrassing empty spectacle. 'Under the Lake/Before the Flood' was the only one that actually justified its length. The SJW propaganda was now too prominent to ignore. The frequent anti-male snipes, the Doctor's general weakness, the fact that there were suddenly no high-ranking men whatsoever in UNIT, replaced by flawless female commanders berating their gullible, idiotic white male canon fodder, and the removal of all significant male Time Lords including a gender swap regeneration. 'Heaven Sent' was a tragically brief return to form, a maddening glimpse of how great the Capaldi era could've been if Moffat weren't such a status-obsessed, insecure weakling. I didn't actually see it until last year because I lost interest after part one of that dreadful Zygon story. Hell Bent squandered the return of Gallifrey and was largely an exercise in anti-male posturing. Moffat's bizarre need to kick just about every sacred cow imaginable felt incredibly cheap and showcases his grotesque egotism at its worst.

Series 10: A definite improvement, but still not very good. A fair chunk of the stories were at least rooted in decent sci-fi concepts, and he'd thankfully stopped padding out stories into hollow two-parters. The aging rocker shtick was toned down and the Doctor was written with a little more care. Bill was a more likeable character than Clara, but the millennial pandering and SJW quips pissed me off. Even Missy was handled a little better here, even though she was still nothing like The Master, a character who should NEVER have been given this sort of redemption arc. There were a few too many forgettable filler episodes. Twice Upon a Time's treatment of Hartnell's Doctor was fucking disgusting, and if I still considered NuWho canon (I don't), The Doctor Falls would be where I'd end it.

Series 11: Pure, unadulterated, worthless shite without so much as a single redeeming quality, other than that it was the final nail in the coffin of what little naïve hope I still had that NuWho could ever evolve into the show it always should have been, giving me the perfect excuse to finally expunge it from my headcanon and purify my perception of the legacy.

Great post. I am glad that people are acknowledging that Moffat was a wimp who was bullied by the SJWs into doing the show a certain way. I've been saying that since 2014. I was actually worried that he would give into these cretins since the backlash to Peter Capaldi's casting (for being a white straight man the cunt!) in 2013. It worried me that when he didn't just tell these people to fuck off.

Missy just proved me 100 percent right, but so many people refused to acknowledge it was pandering at first on sites like Planet Mondas. It was really frustrating for years being almost the lone voice in the wilderness (apart from a few other people like Ian on Planet Mondas and my friend Thomas.) Now of course everyone has come round to my way of thinking (though it can get a little frustrating when people recommend Bowlestrek's channels to me as though I'll learn something from it. I was saying what he was back in 2013!)

Of course I never wanted to let Moffat off the hook, I just wanted people to know who was really responsible so that these people could never be given a say over the show again.

The fact that DWM actually hired Claudia Boleyn, someone who accused Moffat of promoting rape because Matt Smith kissed Jenny and Rory, and that he was a vicious homophobe who wanted to convert all lesbians because Matt kissed Jenny, is fucking laughable.

They are actually sabotaging their own show by hiring her. I can only assume they won't let her review any Moffat scripts?

"Hey in this issue we have an interview with Steven Moffat, also in this same issue Claudia Boleyn is going to look at what a rape apologist, homophobic, racist piece of shit Mofftwat is."

10Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 1st February 2019, 10:52 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

For a long time, I was baffled as to how Moffat could have let this happen. Reading his old rival Lawrence Miles' accounts of interacting with him back in the Fitzroy Tavern days was informative. He paints a picture of a painfully insecure, status-obsessed man desperate to be popular, desperate to be perceived as mature, cool, sophisticated and respectable, terrified of being exposed as the nerdy sci-fi enthusiast he is at heart. Sure, it's the unverified testimony of one man, but it would certainly explain his bizarre, career-spanning history of contradicting himself on a constant basis.

One minute, he's berating us about how it's just a dumb kids show for seven-year-olds and we shouldn't take it too seriously; next minute, he's broadcasting episodes suggesting that the dead remain conscious and showing a blood-soaked Doctor committing suicide by electrocution. In 2013, he publicly mocks the notion of a female Doctor and vows never to let gender-swapping regenerations happen; by 2018, he's been responsible for three and he's viciously attacking fans who question the decision. In 1996, he describes Tom Baker as a "complete moron"; in 2013 he invites him back for an honorary guest appearance in the 50th anniversary special. He's frequently mentioned feeling embarrassed to be a fan, and there are accounts of him mocking people at Fitzroy for indulging in similar geeky interests.

That's his problem - he'll say or do just about anything to get in with the in-crowd.

When Series 5 was the underdog, widely praised as an unexpected triumph and Series 6 was exploding across the Atlantic, everything was hunky dory. The moment some controversy began to stir, his confidence plummeted. All the RTD fanboys and ideological parasites had to do pile on the smallest amount of pressure, and he became putty in their hands. It's a damn shame, because when he takes his ego out of the equation, he's a wonderfully imaginative writer.

Still, that's not our problem. He's an irresponsible cunt for letting his emotional insecurity contribute to the destruction of an internationally beloved, 56-year-old franchise. History will judge him as such.

11Rate New Who Series Empty Re: Rate New Who Series 1st February 2019, 9:56 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:For a long time, I was baffled as to how Moffat could have let this happen. Reading his old rival Lawrence Miles' accounts of interacting with him back in the Fitzroy Tavern days was informative. He paints a picture of a painfully insecure, status-obsessed man desperate to be popular, desperate to be perceived as mature, cool, sophisticated and respectable, terrified of being exposed as the nerdy sci-fi enthusiast he is at heart. Sure, it's the unverified testimony of one man, but it would certainly explain his bizarre, career-spanning history of contradicting himself on a constant basis.

One minute, he's berating us about how it's just a dumb kids show for seven-year-olds and we shouldn't take it too seriously; next minute, he's broadcasting episodes suggesting that the dead remain conscious and showing a blood-soaked Doctor committing suicide by electrocution. In 2013, he publicly mocks the notion of a female Doctor and vows never to let gender-swapping regenerations happen; by 2018, he's been responsible for three and he's viciously attacking fans who question the decision. In 1996, he describes Tom Baker as a "complete moron"; in 2013 he invites him back for an honorary guest appearance in the 50th anniversary special. He's frequently mentioned feeling embarrassed to be a fan, and there are accounts of him mocking people at Fitzroy for indulging in similar geeky interests.

That's his problem - he'll say or do just about anything to get in with the in-crowd.

When Series 5 was the underdog, widely praised as an unexpected triumph and Series 6 was exploding across the Atlantic, everything was hunky dory. The moment some controversy began to stir, his confidence plummeted. All the RTD fanboys and ideological parasites had to do pile on the smallest amount of pressure, and he became putty in their hands. It's a damn shame, because when he takes his ego out of the equation, he's a wonderfully imaginative writer.

Still, that's not our problem. He's an irresponsible cunt for letting his emotional insecurity contribute to the destruction of an internationally beloved, 56-year-old franchise. History will judge him as such.

Another great post. I have been saying this about Moffat for a long while. Here take a look at this article he wrote a few years ago. Its dripping with self loathing fanboyism. (His description of Tom Baker is particularly nasty.)

Steven Moffat wrote:Back when I was in my early twenties, I thought Doctor Who was the scariest programme on television. I had one particular Who-inspired nightmare which haunts me to this day — except it wasn't a nightmare at all, it was something that happened to me on a regular basis. I'd be sitting watching Doctor Who on a Saturday, absolutely as normal... but I'd be in the company of my friends!!

Being a fan is an odd thing, isn't it? I was in little doubt — though I never admitted it, even to myself — that Doctor Who was nowhere near as good as it should have been, but for whatever reason I'd made that mysterious and deadly emotional connection with the show that transforms you into a fan and like a psychotically devoted supporter of a floundering football club, I turned out every Saturday in my scarf, grimly hoping the production team would finally score.

Of course my friends all knew my devotion to the Doctor had unaccountably survived puberty and had long since ceased to deride me for it. I think (I hope) they generally considered me someone of reasonable taste and intelligence and decided to indulge me in this one, stunningly eccentric lapse. And sometimes, on those distant Saturday afternoons before domestic video my nightmare would begin. I'd be stuck out somewhere with those friends and I'd realise in a moment of sweaty panic that I wasn't going to make it home in time for the programme—or worse, they' d be round at my house not taking the hint to leave — so on my infantile insistence we'd all troop to the nearest television and settle down to watch, me clammy with embarrassment at what was to come, my friends tolerant, amused and even open-minded.

And the music would start. And I'd grip the arms of my chair. And I'd pray! Just this once, I begged, make it good. Not great, not fantastic —just good. Don't, I was really saying, show me up.

And sometimes it would start really quite well. There might even be a passable effects shot (there were more of those than you might imagine) and possibly a decent establishing scene where this week's expendable guest actors popped outside to investigate that mysterious clanking/groaning/beeping/slurping sound before being found horribly killed/gibbering mad an episode later.

At this point I might actually relax a little. I might even start breathing and let my hair unclench. And then it would be happen. The star of the show would come rocketing through the door, hit a shuddering halt slap in the middle of the set and stare at the camera like (and let's be honest here) a complete moron.

I'd hear my friends shifting in their chairs. I could hear sniggers tactfully suppressed. Once one of them remarked (with touching gentleness, mindful of my feelings) that this really wasn't terribly good acting.

Of course, as even they would concede, Tom Baker (for it was he) had been good once — even terrific — but he had long since disappeared up his own art in a seven-year-long act of self-destruction that took him from being a dangerous young actor with a future to a sad, mad old ham safely locked away in a voice-over booth.

Which brings us, of course, to Peter Davison (for it was about to be him). I was appalled when he was cast. I announced to my bored and blank-faced friends that Davison was far too young, far too pretty, and far, far too wet to play television's most popular character (as, I deeply regret to say, I described the Doctor). Little did I realise, back in 1982, that after years of anxious waiting on the terraces in my front room, my home team were about to score — or that Davison was about to do something almost never before seen in the role of the Doctor. He was going to act.

Let's get something straight, because if you don't know now it's time you did. Davison was the best of the lot. Number One! It's not a big coincidence or some kind of evil plot, that he's played more above-the-title lead roles on the telly than the rest of the Doctors put together. It's because-get this!-he's the best actor.

You don't believe me? Okay, let's check out the opposition, Doctor-wise (relax, I'll be gentle).

1. William Hartnell. Look, he didn't know his lines! (okay, fairly gentle. It wasn't his fault) and it's sort of a minimum requirement of the lead actor dial he knows marginally more about what's going to happen next than the audience. In truth, being replaceable was his greatest gift to the series. Had the first Doctor delivered a wonderful performance they almost certainly would not have considered a recast and the show would have died back in the sixties.

2. Patrick Troughton. Marvellous! Troughton, far more than the dispensable, misremembered Hartnell, was the template for the Doctors to come and indeed his performance is the most often cited as precedent for his successors. Trouble is, the show in those days was strictly for indulgent ten-year-olds (and therefore hard to judge as an adult). Damn good, though, and Davison's sole competitor.

3. Jon Pertwee. The idea of a sort of Jason King with a sillier frock isn't that seductive, really, is it? In fairness he carried a certain pompous gravitas and was charismatic enough to dominate the proceedings as the Doctor should. Had his notion of the character been less straightforwardly heroic he might have pulled off something a little more interesting. His Worzel Gummidge, after all,is inspired and wonderful.

4. Tom Baker. Thunderingly effective at the start, even if his interpretation did seem to alter entirely to fit this week's script. (Compare, say, THE SEEDS OF DOOM and THE CITY OF DEATH. Is this supposed to be the same person?) I think I've said quite enough already about his sad decline so let's just say that it's nice to see him back on top form in Medics. Well, is was while it lasted.

5. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. Miscast and floundering. Neither made much impression on the role and none at all on the audience. Or at least on me.

So what makes Davison — for me — the best, and his episodes the ones I wouldn't mind watching in the company of my most cynical and sarcastic friends? I'm certainly not claiming the show was suddenly high art or great drama — it was after all, the adventures of space man in a frock coat who lives in a flying telephone box — but for a brief three years it seemed to take the job of being an entertaining, adventure-romp for kids of all
ages with just the right mix of seriousness and vivacity, the way Lois And Clark does so adroitly now and the leading man, bless him. was really delivering.

It's become traditional to say that the Doctor is not an acting part — I think Tom Baker started it and he certainly seemed increasingly determined to prove it true. This is, of course, nonsense. Like any other heroic character in melodrama, James Bond, Sherlock Holmes,Tarzan — he has his motivations and fallibilities. In fact, the Doctor's are rather well defined — perhaps unusually so, for a "Hero'.

We know him to be a sort of academic aristocrat who one day, on a simple moral imperative, erupts from the cloisters and roars through time and space on a mission to end all evil in the universe, unarmed and,if possible, politely.

Consider for a moment — as you would have to if you were casting this part — what kind of man makes a decision like that? He's profoundly emotional (it's a profoundly emotional decision), he's idealistic (unarmed?? Not even a truncheon??), he feels the suffering of others with almost unbearable acuteness (or he'd have stayed at home like we all do when there s a famine or a massacre on the news), he's almost insanely impulsive (I don't think I need explain that one) and he is, above all, an innocent — because only an innocent would try to take on the entire cosmos and hope to persuade it to behave a little better. Now look at the seven Doctors. Which one best fits the picture? Which one could you see acting this way? Be honest — it's number five.

It wouldn't surprise me, given the meticulous actor Davison is known to be, that some of the above was actually thought through and consciously foregrounded in his interpretation. Certainly, he seemed to reject the theatrical eccentricity of his predecessors (leading to the ridiculous criticisms that he's 'bland' and 'wet') in favour of a more visceral, emotional performance, emphasising the Doctor's anxieties and escalating panic in the face of disaster.

Davison's Doctor is beautifully unaware that he is a hero — he simply responds as he feels he must when confronted with evil and injustice, and does so with a very 'human' sense of fluster and outrage. In one of the comparatively few perfect decisions in Doctor Who, Davison is allowed to finally expire saving, not the entire universe, but just one life. This isn't to show, as has been suggested, that he's any less capable or powerful than the other Doctors —just that, for him, saving one life is as great an imperative as saving a galaxy. This, then, is the Doctor as I believe he ought to be — someone who would brave a supernova to rescue a kitten from a tree.

But that's not the whole picture, is it? A terrific central performance — but what about the stories? Astonishingly, they were pretty damn good too. Only Twice in the whole run did the show lapse into the embarrassing (TIME-FLIGHT and WARRIORS OF THE DEEP) which, given my team's previous propensity for own goals, showed amazing restraint and there were whole runs of straight-forward but corkingly well realised yarns (THE VISITATION, FRONTIOS, MAWDRYN UNDEAD, RESURRECTION OF THE DALEKS, ENLIGHTENMENT, THE AWAKENING, THE FIVE DOCTORS and quite a few others). And there were some real stand-outs, weren't there? EARTHSHOCK, for instance, while having a story crafted almost entirely out of gaping plot holes had some cracking set pieces, thumping good direction, and some real 'moments' (Davison's first sighting of the Cybermen being my favourite). THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI, while again needing some tightening up on the plot front (I mean just where was the Doc during episode 3) was also superbly directed, had a terrific guest villain (Christopher Gable) and Davison's all time best Doctor performance as his heart-breaking doomed innocent gives his all to save a woman he's only just met.

Best of all, of course, there was KINDA and there was SNAKEDANCE and if you don't know those are the two best Who stories ever you probably stopped reading after I slagged off Tom Baker anyway.

I find it genuinely surprising that Who fans don't routinely consider the Davison era to be their finest hour. It's only serious competition in terms of consistency and quality are the early Tom Baker stories and those, being largely a set of one-note Hammer hand-me-downs, lack the same variety and ambition.

Is it because Davison doesn't fit the established, middle-aged image of the Time Lord — even though, with twelve regenerations the Doctor must be a rather young Gallifreyan with, we know, a definitively youthful, rebellious outlook? Is it that some fans had actually latched on to tackier, more juvenile style of the earlier seasons and actually missed that approach? Whatever the explanation, if it's possible for anyone to watch something like KINDA and not realise the show was suddenly in a whole different class then I find that slightly worrying. Perhaps — no definitely — there's something about being a fan that skews your critical judgements.

Still, never mind all that. Back when the Eighties were young, and I was still one of those fans, all I cared about was that my show was suddenly kicking sci-fi bottom and I was proud and renewed in my faith. And once, on a visit to London, I persuaded my smart and cynical (and now slightly older) friends that Doctor Who really was a new and better show — respectable, intelligent, well made. And I persuaded them, for the first time in a long time, to watch an episode with me. I wasn't forced to, this time — I had a VCR recording at home, I could always see it later — but I wanted to surprise them with just how much better my team was playing.

TBH I think though that description you gave of Moffat is largely true of most guys who want a female Doctor. I'm sure some people are maybe just a bit open minded about it, but to be honest I think there is a not wanting to be seen as a "sexist nerd who hates women" aspect to it.

Look at this quote this guy wrote about me on the Planet Skaro forum before I got banned.

Self loathing fanboy cuck wrote:Apologies for bumping this thread but for the world's most angriest Scot who keeps sharing this thread on other sites to show how Moffat was bullied by social justice thingies, get some therapy.
Seriously get some therapy.

The only good thing is they'll all be judged as the self loathing fanboys they are whose influence killed the franchise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum