REDACTED
Bernard Marx
Pepsi Maxil
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Ludders
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Overrated TruWho stories Empty Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 11:21 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

As a companion piece to my underrated TruWho stories thread, and because I thought I’d be fair, which stories from Classic Who would you guys consider to be overrated?

2Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 1:14 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Will have to come back to these threads. Too many to remember without a list in front of me.

Yeah it's the internet, I know a list is only a click away, but..... LOL

3Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 1:20 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I'd definitely say that the Daleks Invasion of Earth is pretty overrated. Goes on way too long for my liking, and doesn't feel as grand as the story wants it to be. Evil of the Daleks I find overrated as well, the beginning and end are great, but the sequences in the house drag out so much for me. I know that people like The Two Doctors a lot as well, but I really don't, and it should have been cut down to only 2 parts. Curse of Peladon I find to be overrated as well.

4Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 1:49 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Green Death- It's good but a bit long and pat.
Logopolis- I still think the Master should've been rested after The Deadly Assassin.
Kinda- I always found too shrill and reliant on too many contrived coincidences. Plus the production's a little plastic.
Mawdryn Undead- I just find it a depressing watch
Ghost Light- sorry, I never really got this one.
Survival- seems to just end abruptly just as it was getting really interesting.

5Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 1:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Definitely The Caves of Androzani.

6Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 2:01 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Caves was pretty great, but I'm kind of over it.

7Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 2:01 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Earthshock was way cooler.

8Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 2:04 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ah- I think the complete opposite. Earthshock is good, but nowhere near the extent everyone says. The dialogue is quite poor in places and the direction isn’t as great as many say- neither are anywhere near the level of Caves as far as I’m concerned. I actually find Earthshock pretty dull on repeat viewings.

9Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 2:07 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:The Green Death- It's good but a bit long and pat.
Logopolis- I still think the Master should've been rested after The Deadly Assassin.
Kinda- I always found too shrill and reliant on too many contrived coincidences. Plus the production's a little plastic.
Mawdryn Undead- I just find it a depressing watch
Ghost Light- sorry, I never really got this one.
Survival- seems to just end abruptly just as it was getting really interesting.
Agreed about The Green Death and Logopolis. Kinda is definitely contrived and isn’t the most air tight script, but I love it anyway due to its weirdness and audacity. I like Mawdryn myself. As for Ghost Light, see Kinda.

I do somewhat agree that Survival should have had an additional episode as certain plot elements could have branched out even further. I still think it’s great, though.

10Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 10:24 pm

iank

iank

Resurrection. Logopolis. Traken too. That one seems ridiculously popular considering how dull it is.
The Daemons. It's silly, not scary.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

11Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 11:18 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Resurrection. Logopolis. Traken too. That one seems ridiculously popular considering how dull it is.
The Daemons. It's silly, not scary.
I’d argue that every story from the E-Space trilogy pisses all over Traken. It’s not awful, but very pedestrian compared to all three of the previous season 18 stories, and the direction is rather crap too. Resurrection and Logopolis are thoroughly overrated.

I’ll admit to really enjoying The Daemons myself. It’s silly, yes, but thoroughly entertaining and charming, though I have a strange bias towards season 8 anyway which I can’t really explain.

12Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 11:20 pm

iank

iank

Oh everything in E-Space is ten times better than the last two stories of season 18. The last vestiges of Williams have gone and now it's... dullness. Big Grin

13Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 18th August 2019, 11:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Warrior's Gates is the end of the Williams era. I suppose you could say Traken and Logopolis are kind of just there to be box-ticking exercises and stretched string of cliffhangers for everything to follow.

14Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

More stories I find overrated:

Robot
The Ark in Space
The Sontaran Experiment
Genesis of the Daleks
Revenge of the Cybermen
Terror of the Zygons
Planet of Evil
Pyramids of Mars
The Android Invasion
The Brain of Morbius
The Seeds of Doom
The Masque of Mandragora
The Hand of Fear
The Deadly Assassin
The Face of Evil
The Robots of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Wink

15Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

That's just plain rude, Maxil.

16Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:43 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:That's just plain rude, Maxil.

Williams FTW!

17Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:44 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Williams was alright, but he was no Hinchcliffe....

18Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:45 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:he was no Hinchcliffe....

Thank fuck LOL

19Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 10:57 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

That is rude. I’m a defender of Williams and his era, but where this Hinchcliffe bashing coming from? Smile
In all seriousness, I do really like the Williams era and don’t understand the hate it gets from certain fan circles, but I’d definitely argue that it wasn’t as consistent as Hinchcliffe’s era. Although Hinchcliffe is still a little overrated compared to the 60s... Smile

20Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 20th August 2019, 11:08 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Stones of Blood alone urinates all over the Hinchcliffe era.

21Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 22nd October 2019, 1:41 pm

REDACTED

1: The Dalek Invasion Of Earth
2: The Invasion
3: The Mind Of Evil
4: Pyramids Of Mars
5: Kinda
6: Vengeance On Varos (All his stories from Season 22 are underrated but I disagree that this is his best)
7: Ghost Light

22Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 23rd October 2019, 7:45 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

I'm somewhat puzzled by the high praise 'The Mind Robber' usually gets.  I'm a big Troughton fan and adore the weirdness of Episode 1, but generally, I'm not too keen on the more fantasy-based Who stories and find the whole 'Land of Fiction' theme a bit too twee and whimsical.

Love the white robots though.

Overrated TruWho stories Aaa_wh11

Last edited by Kaijuko on 23rd October 2019, 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total

23Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 23rd October 2019, 8:50 am

iank

iank

Yeah, I completely agree. One I've not watched for a very long time, but I was never overly impressed with it.

24Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 24th October 2019, 3:33 pm

DogStar2000

Season 19 onwards.

https://theleisurehive.proboards.com/

25Overrated TruWho stories Empty Re: Overrated TruWho stories 25th October 2019, 7:20 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

DogStar2000 wrote:Season 19 onwards.

The show pretty much belonged to the Cult of Levine from thenon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum